Newbie Board

Posted by PhlyntheKT

[CENTER][COLOR=#ff88bb]Maybe there should be a newbie board that senior [/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff88bb]newbies mod. It could be in the community board. [/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff88bb]Maybe run by Max Mouse, Klarth and myself or something.[/COLOR][/CENTER]

Posted by Stalolin

Yes, Klarth for mod of it.

Posted by NES Queen

no, it's called the introduction board and klarth is already the mod in there. there's definitely no need to have 2 whole boards devoted to idiotic n00bs

Posted by GameMiestro

Since I'm supposedly not allowed to say no, I'll say yes, in a both irritated and overly sarcastic way.

Posted by NES Queen

why are you not allowed to say no? since when did you become someone's wacko?

Posted by Ant

No...just no.

Posted by PhlyntheKT

WE need it for the noobies to go to learn what being a member is all about, you know.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post:
Maybe there should be a newbie board that senior
newbies mod. It could be in the community board.
Maybe run by Max Mouse, Klarth and myself or something.

You're thinking of the wacko board/n00b board. And there's no such thing as a "senior newbie", as that is an oxymoron. You moron.

Also, the whole forum is for newbs. That's why it's open for any member to post in.

Posted by Lord of Spam

I made this same suggestion to Sabredog recently. He was supposed to post it in the mod board.

Granted, the way I talked about it had logic and whatnot to it, and I didnt use lame pink font in a crappy almost poetry form.

Posted by PhlyntheKT

[quote=Lord of Spam]I made this same suggestion to Sabredog recently. He was supposed to post it in the mod board.

Granted, the way I talked about it had logic and whatnot to it, and I didnt use lame pink font in a crappy almost poetry form.
Well can you post it here so that you can help me convince them that this is a good idea.

Posted by Lord of Spam

What the hell, why not. This is copied from the version that I mailed to Sabre.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I know not many people here may weigh what I say to heavily, but as a member that has been on these boards for several years, I feel that I have at least the right to be heard. I have as much interest (self serving though it may be) in the success of these boards as anyone else. I have an idea that I think would help the board not only gain and retain more members, but also higher quality members as well. Its rather simple, actually.

Make a spam/noobie board.

Back when there was the possibility of DA being deleted, one of the possible compromises that was discussed was moving DA to the main page and making it a noobie board. I cant remember everyone who supported it (though I do recall the DA members mostly accepting it, however grudgingly), so if you were one of the people who were willing to compromise, consider yourself thanked. Anyway, I think that the reasoning behind it was fundamentally right, but was being done the wrong way. Lets face it, the DAers are *******s. I know; I'm one of them. We generally don't like it when people just try to force their way in. In fact, most of the social circles in VGC are like this. We've been here for years, and have developed friendships. Why let someone we don't know just walk in off the streets and be part of it?

That's where the noobie board comes in. It allows new members and old members to interact in a neutral, safe environment. New members will be emboldened at the fact that it would be called the Newbie board ("Gosh, a whole board for us?"). Old members will know that they are seeing the future of VGC, and can help the incoming members grow into useful contributors. But this isn't all it would do. By allowing them to have their own area of idiocy, we can let them "get it out of their system" so to speak. Does this mean that some are probably going to carry it onto the main boards? Most likely. BUT, a sticky of rules in the board letting people know that the rules are different on the main boards, and that banning WILL be upheld should curtail that (sorry, smods, but this might mean more work for you. I know that Jesse is a douche when it comes to unbanning people, and that this is a possible flaw in the plan I'm proposing, but at least I'm being up front about it.)

In essence, the boards provide a "safe haven" for newer members to start conversing with older members. Once they get used to it, they are more likely to want to contribute in meaningful ways to the actual board. I know its not perfect, and that it will require work from people (mods, and older members in general by posting the board), but I think it would work. Besides, a fair number of respected members cut their teeth in the old spam board before moving on to the main page, so what says that cant be repeated?

Also, who better to mod a spam board?:cool:

Posted by Stalolin

the people who voted no are totally not cool =(

you all know klarth has a one-sided vendetta against those he feels inferior.

He'd be the perfect mod!

Posted by Poison

Quoting Lord of Spam: What the hell, why not. This is copied from the version that I mailed to Sabre.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I know not many people here may weigh what I say to heavily, but as a member that has been on these boards for several years, I feel that I have at least the right to be heard. I have as much interest (self serving though it may be) in the success of these boards as anyone else. I have an idea that I think would help the board not only gain and retain more members, but also higher quality members as well. Its rather simple, actually.

Make a spam/noobie board.

Back when there was the possibility of DA being deleted, one of the possible compromises that was discussed was moving DA to the main page and making it a noobie board. I cant remember everyone who supported it (though I do recall the DA members mostly accepting it, however grudgingly), so if you were one of the people who were willing to compromise, consider yourself thanked. Anyway, I think that the reasoning behind it was fundamentally right, but was being done the wrong way. Lets face it, the DAers are *******s. I know; I'm one of them. We generally don't like it when people just try to force their way in. In fact, most of the social circles in VGC are like this. We've been here for years, and have developed friendships. Why let someone we don't know just walk in off the streets and be part of it?

That's where the noobie board comes in. It allows new members and old members to interact in a neutral, safe environment. New members will be emboldened at the fact that it would be called the Newbie board ("Gosh, a whole board for us?"). Old members will know that they are seeing the future of VGC, and can help the incoming members grow into useful contributors. But this isn't all it would do. By allowing them to have their own area of idiocy, we can let them "get it out of their system" so to speak. Does this mean that some are probably going to carry it onto the main boards? Most likely. BUT, a sticky of rules in the board letting people know that the rules are different on the main boards, and that banning WILL be upheld should curtail that (sorry, smods, but this might mean more work for you. I know that Jesse is a douche when it comes to unbanning people, and that this is a possible flaw in the plan I'm proposing, but at least I'm being up front about it.)

In essence, the boards provide a "safe haven" for newer members to start conversing with older members. Once they get used to it, they are more likely to want to contribute in meaningful ways to the actual board. I know its not perfect, and that it will require work from people (mods, and older members in general by posting the board), but I think it would work. Besides, a fair number of respected members cut their teeth in the old spam board before moving on to the main page, so what says that cant be repeated?

Also, who better to mod a spam board?:cool:

Whoa, you typed too much there. All you needed to say was, "Aye for noobie bored."

Posted by Linko_16

I think it's worth a try; VGC has prospered under similar conditions. But it's for the mods to decide.

Unless, you know, Jesse decides to just do it anyway.

Posted by mis0

HAY GAIS, LETZ ENCURIGE MOAR STUIDTY K?!?!?!

Posted by The Judge

We already have 2 or 3 blogs for that, and we don't need to engender even more blatant stupidity. No. It's a stupid idea.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Shunting it off to blogs basically makes it less accesible and gives it the air of second rateness. By making it on the mainpage, you say "See, you can be cool too. Just dont act like a retard." The two concepts are entirely different.

Posted by The Judge

I wasn't aware that being a noobie was the new cool thing. Sorry.

There's a big difference between a new member and a noobie. The latter is an idiot. And they are second class here, and as such should be held in blogs, not the main boards. If they improve and become halfway intelligent posters, then they don't need a noobie board anyways because we'll accept them regardless of post count or register date.

Posted by Xero

I thought we had one in the web blogs...

Posted by Kestryl

Most of you have hundred, if not thousands, of posts. So it wouldn't be a surprise if you didn't listen to me.

The problem I have with this is that I am a newbie... if you look at my post count, it's pretty low.

The main question I have is: Will this board limit us newbies, noobies, or however you're referring to us now, to that one board? Sure, it might be good as an intro step. But you're not seeing how we would act with the Senior members. You're seeing how we would act with people like us. Or idiots. Depending on how everyone acts.

I'm gonna give this idea some credit. It probably would take out the idiotic "noobies" by banning them early on.

The downside is that potential "decent members" might be scared off by this supreme amount of immaturity. Also, what would be the bar that new members have to jump in order to, in a metaphor, leave the kiddie pool and enter the deep end?

Just some thoughts from a new member. ;)

Posted by Klarth

If newbies were limited to this proposed board, it'd give them no chance to experience the rest of VGC. They'd turn out maladjusted with only the influence of other newbs. Also, Kestryl, your thoughts are appreciated - It's quite honestly a good thing to occasionally witness a bit of coherency from a new member. You're fine already without a spam pit to rack up a post count in.

In other news, this is the most foolish idea I've ever seen, and Phylntneh will never become a moderator if he asks for a spot every ten minutes.

Posted by GameMiestro

Noobie board- why would you need it? You have the introduction board to introduce yourselves, the help and suggestion board to figure out the rules, the community board to meet other members... it's all there. The only thing left is "newbie spam", which the Flame Board makes a nice home for (as good fuel, at least).

Posted by NES Queen

well said Kestryl. if all of our new members were able to express their thoughts as coherently as that we wouldn't have the issue of "how to deal with n00bs".

as meistro said, we already have enough boards in place for new members to look around and get their feet wet while learning the rules and general atmosphere and tone of this place and its senior members.

if/when a new person acts like an idiot or breaks the rules, the mods need to take action right away. not by jumping on the flaming band wagon of "kill the n00b!1!1!!", but by deleting the inappropriate post and sending them a friendly reminder of the rules via PM. no one likes having to be a babysitter or go around constantly cleaning up after others, but by agreeing to become a mod its part of your job. you guys should be the role models for the rest of us, and certainly not encouraging immature or idiotic behavior from anyone here.

if people knew that spam and moronic immature behavior wasn't going to be tolerated, it wouldn't be such an issue.

Posted by PhlyntheKT

Quoting Kestryl: Most of you have hundred, if not thousands, of posts. So it wouldn't be a surprise if you didn't listen to me.

The problem I have with this is that I am a newbie... if you look at my post count, it's pretty low.

The main question I have is: Will this board limit us newbies, noobies, or however you're referring to us now, to that one board? Sure, it might be good as an intro step. But you're not seeing how we would act with the Senior members. You're seeing how we would act with people like us. Or idiots. Depending on how everyone acts.

I'm gonna give this idea some credit. It probably would take out the idiotic "noobies" by banning them early on.

The downside is that potential "decent members" might be scared off by this supreme amount of immaturity. Also, what would be the bar that new members have to jump in order to, in a metaphor, leave the kiddie pool and enter the deep end?

Just some thoughts from a new member. ;)

It would be a board to help introduce the newbies to the senior members
in a kinder way. A place to set up intro's between specific members and such. Also, flames would be prohibited there, to keep them coming back.
There could be a grammar sub-board/sticky post and also a similar thing for the terminology and tricks of Vbulletin. The newbies would be able to post everywhere but not in a Senior Member Board for the issues that won't need newbie influence. Something like the Moderator Board but more open to the public. Most people just need a place to get started posting...instead of flamed.

Posted by Dog

Quoting Phlynthe: It would be a board to help introduce the newbies to the senior members
in a kinder way.
u crayzy. people can do that in the introduction board.

Posted by NES Queen

[QUOTE=Phlynthe]It would be a board to help introduce the newbies to the senior members
in a kinder way. A place to set up intro's between specific members and such.
oh, you mean like the Introduction Board that's already in existence?

[quote]Also, flames would be prohibited there, to keep them coming back.
flames should be prohibited everywhere except the flame board. if people are flaming new members in the introduction board, then yell at Klarth to do a better job modding it rather than creating a newer "nicer" identical board.

[quote]There could be a grammar sub-board/sticky post and also a similar thing for the terminology and tricks of Vbulletin.
oh, you mean like the Board Rules sticky thats already in existence in the help/suggestions/complaints board?

Posted by PhlyntheKT

Yes but seperate from this one...

Posted by Lord of Spam

For the record, the board I'm proposing is entirely different in concept from the retardation that is spewing out of phlythne's posts.

And no, I'm not proposing that there be a restriction placed that says that noobs can only post in its. Its just a board with almost no rules to allow them to get their idiocy out of the way. The concept is that if a person acts like a moron enough without anyone reacting, they'll get bored with it. Or, for the people that actually enjoy being stupid, it gives them an outlet for it so that they can keep their main board posts reasonable.

Essentially, I'm arguing for a resurrection of a restructured spam board.

Posted by PhlyntheKT

That works but it should probably not have flames to keep the difference between the two and the board...I wanna mod things very badly. Except my own grammar right now.

Posted by GameMiestro

[quote=Lord of Spam]Essentially, I'm arguing for anarchy.

fix'd :D

Posted by Roxas

what is the point of this conversation? by my number of posts you'll get a first impression that im a "newbie", but you really don't know anything. ive been on other forums and moded on one of them

Posted by NES Queen

Quoting Lord of Spam: Its just a board with almost no rules to allow them to get their idiocy out of the way. The concept is that if a person acts like a moron enough without anyone reacting, they'll get bored with it. Or, for the people that actually enjoy being stupid, it gives them an outlet for it so that they can keep their main board posts reasonable.

i still dont see the point to encouraging this type of behaviour though. and honestly, i dont think most people who carry on in that kind of manner would ever get bored of it. jesse still hasnt gotten bored of his wacko crackoism act and thats been going on for years.

Posted by Kestryl

I agree with NES Queen. Don't (pardon the pun) feed the flames early on. Lay down the rules right away, so that new members learn what they should and should not do. It's better and easier beating the habit earlier than later.

Plus, those people stupid enoough to want cause all this... "chaos"... why would they restrict it to that one board in the first place?

Posted by Velvet Nightmare

Quoting Kestryl: I agree with NES Queen. Don't (pardon the pun) feed the flames early on. Lay down the rules right away, so that new members learn what they should and should not do. It's better and easier beating the habit earlier than later.

Plus, those people stupid enoough to want cause all this... "chaos"... why would they restrict it to that one board in the first place?

...Runaan?

Posted by Lord of Spam

[quote=El Douche Grande]fix'd :D

No, not fixed. The fact that you said that shows either that you have a faulty sense of homur or are too retarded to get what I'm saying.

Quoting NES Queen: i still dont see the point to encouraging this type of behaviour though. and honestly, i dont think most people who carry on in that kind of manner would ever get bored of it. jesse still hasnt gotten bored of his wacko crackoism act and thats been going on for years.

The point is that its being encouraged in a certain area, and even then whether its being encouraged is debateable. It would merely allow them to do (almost) whatever they wanted. In essence, it would be a board within a board to allow them to have a place to post without being made fun of for being a n00bie, similar to how certain people only hang out of certain other boards. And like I said, if they step out, banhammer.

Posted by Klarth

[quote=Phylynththe]grammar sub-board
You're suggesting that a board should be created just for the purpose of teaching people grammar? Get the **** off your high horse and REALISE that there are always gonna be people on the internet who refuse to use their shift key. Seriously, I find most people like this (example: Shdig) incoherent yet understandable.

You're full of nothing but ****ing stupid ideas. Stop plugging yourself for a moderator position.

Posted by NES Queen

i very rarely capitalize words (i got lazy from MS Word doing it for me automatically), but i think my posts are still quite legible.

[quote=LoS]The point is that its being encouraged in a certain area, and even then whether its being encouraged is debateable.
reminds me of those glass rooms at the airport where people are allowed to go smoke. :/

[quote]It would merely allow them to do (almost) whatever they wanted. In essence, it would be a board within a board to allow them to have a place to post without being made fun of for being a n00bie, similar to how certain people only hang out of certain other boards. And like I said, if they step out, banhammer.
personally I can't recall ever poking fun at someone simply because they were a n00bie. if someone acts stupid, retarded, moronic, immature, *insert negative adjective here* i'll say something or derep them whether they have 4 posts or 4000. same thing applies to the reverse, if its a well articulated post, good idea, funny comment, *insert positive adjective here* i'll say something positive about them regardless if they have 4 posts or 4000. if we're having a problem with our senior members singling out "n00bies" and harassing, teasing, or just being shltty in general to them simply because they're the new kid in town to be picked on, then thats a problem that needs to be addressed with the senior members, not the noobs.

i guess the main flaw in your idea is that the majority of people here are quite young. i dont think they would understand the concept of being allowed to act as stupid as they want in one area, but then being expected to uphold to a certain set of codes/rules in another. i think it would be confusing and misleading to them. or maybe i'm just not giving them enough credit....

Posted by Klarth

[quote=NES Queen]
i very rarely capitalize words (i got lazy from MS Word doing it for me automatically), but i think my posts are still quite legible.
Naturally. People like you, Altinure etc. aren't a problem.

[quote]personally I can't recall ever poking fun at someone simply because they were a n00bie. if someone acts stupid, retarded, moronic, immature, *insert negative adjective here* i'll say something or derep them whether they have 4 posts or 4000.
Agreed. Scores of people replying to this seem to be ignoring this kinda thing.

Posted by mis0

Post count shouldn't, and doesn't, mean anyything. But personally, I don't see why anyone should by punished for "harassing" the latest wave of idiots, even if that is the reason.

I think Kestryl is the only exception among the new morons, and, obviously, she's been treated as such.

Posted by PhlyntheKT

You DA guys don't seem to like new things much...How are flames gonna encourage newbies to stay here...Grammar will help you monkeys get off their backs...And no one should be able to be banned from there unless they do something really bad or something...

[quote=roxas]what is the point of this conversation? by my number of posts you'll get a first impression that im a "newbie", but you really don't know anything. ive been on other forums and moded on one of them
The newbies I mean are the ones that are completely new to the VB-style forums...
[quote=NES Queen]i guess the main flaw in your idea is that the majority of people here are quite young. i dont think they would understand the concept of being allowed to act as stupid as they want in one area, but then being expected to uphold to a certain set of codes/rules in another. i think it would be confusing and misleading to them. or maybe i'm just not giving them enough credit....Good point...
[quote=Klarth]You're suggesting that a board should be created just for the purpose of teaching people grammar? Get the **** off your high horse and REALISE that there are always gonna be people on the internet who refuse to use their shift key. Seriously, I find most people like this (example: Shdig) incoherent yet understandable.

You're full of nothing but ****ing stupid ideas. Stop plugging yourself for a moderator position.If I didn't mod it still would be a good idea to have around...
[quote=Lord of Spam]For the record, the board I'm proposing is entirely different in concept from the retardation that is spewing out of phlythne's posts.

And no, I'm not proposing that there be a restriction placed that says that noobs can only post in its. Its just a board with almost no rules to allow them to get their idiocy out of the way. The concept is that if a person acts like a moron enough without anyone reacting, they'll get bored with it. Or, for the people that actually enjoy being stupid, it gives them an outlet for it so that they can keep their main board posts reasonable.

Essentially, I'm arguing for a resurrection of a restructured spam board.Spam board....I was thinking a board[maybe just a sub board of MBS or CB]to place threads and polls targeted toward newbies and the noob in all of us. Exp."How did you find VGC"[notice how that gets asked every few months],"Which boards are your favorite" and stuff like that. I know that the Comm. Board is like this but it doesn't scream "newbtastic" to me...and if you can't understand that I'll rephrase it.

Posted by Klarth

[quote=Phykltken]If I didn't mod it still would be a good idea to have around...
Justify.

Posted by Jesse Smith

How about we bring back the wacko board!!! :D:D:D:D:D

Posted by Klarth

How about VGC gets subsequently wiped for the thousandth time! :D:D:D

Posted by Jesse Smith

We still got about 972 more of those before it hits 1,000!!! :D:D:D

Posted by PhlyntheKT

Quoting Jesse Smith: How about we bring back the wacko board!!! :D:D:D:D:D

Yes but call it the newbie board

Posted by The Judge

That's no fun.

Posted by Dog

they should make a board called Shdigs hamburger stand.

Posted by PhlyntheKT

I second that...athough my opinion is based on...

Posted by Klarth

Dear ****ing wacko someone lock this.

Posted by muffla

i really dont care i say dnt do aything uless they are really being retards like spamming
if you do make a noob board how will it work like sumbody said befor you cant base it on posts because if you are constricted to one board then there really isnt much to post

Posted by mis0

I think we should make a board called "Kitty slits her wrists." Any takers?

Posted by NES Queen

Quoting muffla: i really dont care[COLOR="Red"].[/COLOR] i say d[COLOR="red"]o[/COLOR]nt do aything u[COLOR="red"]n[/COLOR]less they are really being retards like spamming[COLOR="red"].[/COLOR]
if you do make a noob board how will it work[COLOR="red"]?[/COLOR] like s[COLOR="red"]o[/COLOR]mbody said befor[COLOR="red"]e,[/COLOR] you cant base it on posts because if you are [COLOR="red"]re[/COLOR]stricted to one board then there really isnt much to post

fixed for readability...

restricting people to one board until they reach a "magic number" post count is stupid. people would just spam incessantly to reach that magic number. its quality that matters, not quantity folks.

the best way to judge when a person's opinion becomes "worthy" enough for more serious discussions (who to promote to mod, what changes to make around here) or threads geared towards intelligent debates (things involving politics, religion, ie. most of the stuff in the war board) is to have a better rep system and base it off of that. our current rep system is a joke, more of a popularity contest if you will. but if there was some way to implement a better one (say where the only time your rep will change is if you receive 3 similar votes, be it + or -, for the same post) it may work. its tough to judge the quality of something though because ultimately it comes down to personal opinion.

Posted by Iris

Horrible idea. The intro board is a new member haven already and most new members would object to you trying to immediately change them. Most of the thread ideas for this board are placed elsewhere on the VGC, and could be easily located by a member of average intelligence.

As for a spam board, we already tried resurrecting one. Many moderators are against it, but perhaps we can settle it in private.

Obviously, since the majority of VGC can see this idea not working, I'll just lock this.