Contra in 13 Minutes

Posted by neofreak91

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1154859803096997147&q=NES
this guy is nice in contra
tomorrow I tried to to win the game in 13 min

Posted by GameMiestro

Something smells a bit fishy with this. I don't know...

Posted by inequity

I never played contra for the NES, but it is one hit and you die right? At exactly 07:00 it looks to me like he was hit.

Posted by Zeta

Save states were used, I think.

Posted by ZEN

It's a "tool-assisted" run.
That means that whoever playing it was using software that makes the game much easier to play. This includes using super slow motion, save states, and autofire button command configuration* to play the game. Once it is done, the emulator plays back the file to make it look legitimate.

*Process that involves mapping a series of button commands to one single button press (example: turning around quickly to fire can be done with a single button command).

Yeah these kind of videos are everywhere. "Bisquit" (or whatever that site is called) is the most notorious for hosting "cheat-runs".
Some of them are still fun to watch though.

Posted by Destructoid

OMG I have not seen a video power logo in years! Too awesome. I always wondered if I could somehow sneak into the crowd and ask a really hardcore question to stump johnny, like what was the retail price of the power staff in Final Fantasy on the NES. He'd say $12,345, which is wrong - that's the shop's buy price which is always half of the actual value, so the real price is $24690, and then I'd win a NeoGeo and everyone would cheer. But it never happened, so I had to ebay one for a fortune in my early 20's.

Posted by Arczu

Neo Geo huh? Old-school.

It says "walkthrough". It does seem like a capture from an emulator because of the key: fonts are a bit more "Bubbly" then usual.

It's above average though. If it was the big time Tool-assited speed runs, you'd being seeing mind-blowing tricks used with 100% accuracy and no shooting occuring when there doesn't need to be. I watched a lot of those and you kinda tell this and that apart.

Posted by ZEN

Quoting Destructoid: OMG I have not seen a video power logo in years! Too awesome. I always wondered if I could somehow sneak into the crowd and ask a really hardcore question to stump johnny

That whole Johnny Arcade bit had to be staged. He knew exactly what questions were to be asked and got the answers beforehand. He obviously didn't know squat about games.

For the record, I actually applied for Video Power, but never got any response.

Oh well, I can always dream of wearing a velcro vest and running through an obstacle course attaching NES boxes to myself (VP fans will understand).

Posted by PWND_U_IN_MK

I know it's faked but I believe it can be done, I've gotten my time down to 15.

Posted by andrewg

i beat super contra in about 20 minutes.