Help with installing Windows!

Posted by Proto Man

Ok, so I am installing Windows for Workgroups 3.11. For some reason, it won't recognize the WIN386.EX_ file on the second disk. When it gets to that in the installation, it says file cannot be read, or something to that extent. Now the crazy part about this is, these are brand new floppies, right out of the shrinkwrap! I am about to go crazy here. Any suggestions?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Could be a busted diskette. Just because it's new, doesn't mean it couldn't have been damaged in the factory, in transit, or in the store where you bought them.

My only other suggestion is the copy mode the computer is using may be causing problems. Try changing from DMA to PIO, or vice-versa.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting The X: Could be a busted diskette. Just because it's new, doesn't mean it couldn't have been damaged in the factory, in transit, or in the store where you bought them.

My only other suggestion is the copy mode the computer is using may be causing problems. Try changing from DMA to PIO, or vice-versa.

How does one do that?

Posted by Velvet Nightmare

Disk could be demagnatized, or maybe the little locking mechanism on the bottom of the disk is in protection mode so that it can't be read. You may just have ****ed files, so it'd be a good idea to do a fresh copy.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Velvet Nightmare: Disk could be demagnatized, or maybe the little locking mechanism on the bottom of the disk is in protection mode so that it can't be read. You may just have ****ed files, so it'd be a good idea to do a fresh copy.

The locking mechanism is on unlock. What do you mean a fresh copy though? This is as fresh as you can get (like I said, it came out of the shrinkwrap). Crazy part about it is, that is the only file it has problems with!

Posted by Philsdad

Check your BIOS to switch between PIO and DMA mode. Though more than likely, your disks are just messed up. I am about to install Windows 3.11 for workgroups myself on my XP install and run it through DosBox, just for fun. If you can't get those disks to work, let me know and I'll try to get the files to you somehow.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Philsdad: Check your BIOS to switch between PIO and DMA mode. Though more than likely, your disks are just messed up. I am about to install Windows 3.11 for workgroups myself on my XP install and run it through DosBox, just for fun. If you can't get those disks to work, let me know and I'll try to get the files to you somehow.

Ah, how lucky! :) Well, if the BIOS thing doesn't work, I will try and get the file from you.

Which version is it? Is it just regular Windows 3.11, or WFWG? Because mine is WFWG.

EDIT: well I looked in the BIOS, and I couldn't switch between PIO and DMA. I guess we will have to try the file idea.

EDIT 2.0: Never mind Phil, but thanks anyway. I actually was able to find a copy of Disk 2 for WFWG via a torrent. So I got the file I needed, and now I just need to copy it onto the original MS disk. Thanks again.

Posted by Philsdad

Good deal man. I think I have the same version of Windows, but I didn't install it yet. It came in a package labelled Windows 3.11 and DOS 6.0 so it's probably the same one.

There were a lot of cool games back on Windows 3.11 for Workgroups like Jezz Ball, Tetris, Pipe Dream, Chess, Fuji Golf, Ski Free etc. And a ton of other really fun freeware games (praerie dog, bow and arrow, and countless others...)

Simplistic but fun and addictive. I have discs with tons of them, let me know if you ever want any.