do you like menu RPGs?

Posted by Sasuke76

a lot of people like them, but i don't really think it's fun. especially when it's based on an anime and is only to make money. i want to run around and swing a sword, gun, or vehicles, and not like take ten minutes to kill someone with menu attacks. there was one that i really hated. it was for gameboy, like...i don't know but they all suck, but somehow they have a cult. although the things i play have a cult too. like sonic i really like sonic. and mortal kombat.

Posted by Klarth

"Menu RPGs"... As in, like, text-based? Or turn-based a la Final Fantasy? I'm not sure I understand you.

Posted by Sasuke76

yeah like final fantasy

Posted by Klarth

I actually prefer turn-based battle systems. I don't like games which don't make me think. Constantly bashing A to get to the next plot-thickening point doesn't seem fun.

Zelda's alright, though.

Posted by Sasuke76

those games make you think in other ways, well most of them at least, i understand where you're coming from, but some of them make you think by setting up puzzles. but it can get boring even sonic sometimes, i'd rather go do my homework or something

Posted by Linko_16

I can level with people who don't like menu RPG's, since I myself didn't for a long time, but now I rather enjoy them.

Posted by Speedfreak

Depends if they're any good or not. Final Fantasy is bloody boring, but Golden Sun and Pokémon actually have a game in there somewhere. All 3 have menu-based battle systems.

Posted by GameMiestro

Okay... so, youre comparing games like Baldurs Gate to those like Final Fantasy? Seems odd to compare the two... I guess I prefer non-menu RPG's, on the whole. I've learned through experience that chess like, take-5-minutes-to-make-your-turn gameplay found in tactics RPG's are fun at first... but at the end of the day, you feel that the battling was more of a chore than anything else, especially when battles go on... and on... and on... anyone who has played Advance Wars: Dual Strike can attest to this. But at the same time, after player your tenth live action RPG, you begin to get a bit sick of hacking identical enemies over and over, really getting sick of having to navigate through massive, featureless corridors, and just plain angry at having to spend 100+ hours to get a weapon that wasn't that great in the first place. However, usually, live action RPG's keep me interested more, have better action in less time, and actually make me feel like I'm controlling the character- not just some invisible overlord barking orders at my party in order to get things done. Yet I would still play games like Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga and Pokemon (except possibly G/S/C, they could have been much better), because the quality of the games are just that good. Like Speedfreak said, it often comes down to the individual quality of the games, not just the genre they are in.

Whats been said has been said... :)

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[QUOTE=Speedfreak]Depends if they're any good or not. Final Fantasy is bloody boring, but Golden Sun and Pok

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

I don't see how Golden Sun is so much better than a Final Fantasy.

I like both styles, although I lean more towards the 'menu type'. I enjoy Zelda battle systems, but if it's poorly implented (in games such as the .hack series) then I could do without mindless hack and slash.

But Baldur's Gate (PC) is the best, anyhow.

Posted by Xenos

It's alright ... I liked it in FFVI the most where it wasn't too repetitive [in the sense where all the characters were samey.]. Newer FFs seem to be quite bland and boring when it comes to battle systems. cougcoughFFX2dressmeupdoll. Some people argue that the class system is rev; however, if I wanted to play a game with a class system, I'll take FFV. At least I don't have to deal with long bouts of teenaged sluts changing and flashing me. [yes, I do realize there is an option to skip it, still annoying nonetheless]

By the way, this should be in the RPG board.