Music of the Seasons

Posted by Shin-Ra

*Inspired by AA's thread a while back on bands/songs that remind him of Winter*

Are there any songs, bands or albums that stand out in your mind as being related to an actual season? Even if it's an association due to the time you first listened to them, it is still equally valid.

The poorly produced, hard, ice-cold crunchy riffage and lyrical content of Immortal will never fail to remind me of winter. On the complete opposite end of the spectrum, Agalloch's usage of powerful bells, 'earthly' instruments, acoustic and electric guitar mixtures and an overall warm feeling has reminded me of the spring/summer time since the first time I listened to them. The acoustic/ambient melodies of Nest are another wonderful example. When I hear that beautiful kantele and all the other instruments fusing together in musical bliss, I get the mental picture of a lively spring night by a stream. As for Autumn, Opeth generally reminds me of this. Perhaps it's the lyric "Spiraling to the ground below/Like Autumn leaves left in the wake to fade away" or the way that they present themselves (both musically and photographically). It's amazing how tiny lyrical suggestions (not to mention even something as simple as drum beats or the overall production value) can alter your perception of a band and how you feel while listening to them.

Posted by Philsdad

Nokturnal Mortum's "Goat Horns" album is an awesome wintery album. I put that album on one of the DVDs I sent you actually. The last song on the album, "Eternal Circle" is one of the most wintery sounding songs I've ever heard.

Posted by Dexter

Most of the music that I associate with seasons is because that was the season that I listened to them frequently in, although many songs and some bands are able to give me images of certain seasons or weather.

Savage Garden is a band that I associate with summer. My sister, Fairy, used to listen to them often many years ago, most likely during the summer but I can't clearly remember, so they always seem to remind me of those sunny days by Flathead Lake Montana, swimming the days away, riding in the back of trucks, working nights at John's place, dancing, and going to church. I guess I associate Savage Garden with a certain time of my life and a season, especially "The Animal Song."

The Mantle album by Agalloch reminds me of a beautiful snowstorm or any white wintery day, possibly because I did listen to them more than anything else during this last fall and winter. "You Were but a Ghost in my Arms" especially reminds me of winter days, and I don't believe it has everything to do with "Like snowfall, you cry a silent storm," although it probably has something to do with giving me the image. The glockenspiel thingamabob that I hear in the background of this song really gives me the image. My sleeping room's stereo system has this dark, echoy option that gives this song a euphonious sound to fall asleep to. Absolutely enchanting.

Posted by Ch

Well...

Fall: I usually listen to less joyfull songs songs in this season. For me, it's the worst season. I usually bring out rock in Autumn. Such as Rage Against The Machine, Days of The New, Red Hot Chilli Peppers.

Winter: Much better than autumn for me. I listen to stuff like Jimi Hendrix, Steely Dan, Louis Armstrong (Satchmo), and alot of Jazz type music.

Spring: Spring is a season of revival & peace for me. I bring out Blind Melon, Santana, Gratefull Dead, Phish, Simon & Garfunkle, Creedence, Jimmy Buffet and a lot of others.

Summer: I usually like to hear old school funk and old, old school rap. not this new rap. I listen to George Clinton & the P-Funk Allstars, Eazy-E, The Champs, War, A Tribe Called Quest, Santana, some Rolling Stones, and Jack Johnson.

yep.