WFC: Improvements?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

We all know the Nintendo WiFi Connection is far from perfect - what would you like to see added in the future, with regards to the DS? (I'm excluding the features of a Revolution WFC)

First off, I wouldn't mind cross-game communication. Perhaps complicated, I know, but regardless of whether you're in Mario Kart or Animal Crossing, you're still on the same network, right?

Or at least the feature in games to talk to anyone online on some form of 'Friends' list without having to set up a game. In games like Metroid Hunters, you can sit for ages, waiting for friends or rivals to show up, but they're never around. It's impossible to get in touch without your opponents joining the lobby. The ability to say 'Hey John. I'm setting up a game. When you get this, join' would be useful...

Or something along the lines of what Nintendo touched on in Yoshi Touch & Go - a visible alert in the middle of gameplay, that informs the user that a friend has signed onto the WFC. I don't mind a slight increase in battery usage if it means I can get straight into a game without sitting on MSN or AIM for twenty minutes arranging details.

You guys?

Posted by Drewboy64

Definately some in game voice chat, although I am very content with metroid's system right now. It's so much better to be able to talk online. As for text talking, I'd like to see a more pictochat style keyboard. That way you could just write quickly instead of having to type.

Posted by Zeta

Impose harsh penalties among disconnectors.

Posted by Mystic Hero

Quoting Zeta: Impose harsh penalties among disconnectors.

Sometime it's the network that boots you so that wouldn't be too smart, or your battery may die out on you.

Anyway, along the lines of the games themselves, I would liek to see more players in wifi rooms than just the normal 4 you know? I mean in Mario Kart if you ahve 8 DS players you can set up a game with 8 people. You should also be able to do that on wifi not jsut on that game, but on some other games as well, espcially Hunters. Having 8 people in a giant map would make things wild.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Quoting Mystic Hero: Sometime it's the network that boots you so that wouldn't be too smart, or your battery may die out on you.

Also, Nintendo's USB dongles aren't all that reliable - cell phone bluetooth and long-range waves disrupt it, and, ironically, even the Wavebird, if on certain channels, can mess stuff up.

:(

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: Sometime it's the network that boots you so that wouldn't be too smart, or your battery may die out on you.

MPH all ready fixed that with Chump Points. You only get them if you shut off the system.

As for improvements, I dislike this friend code crap and the restrictions that come with it. Also, match-making is really lame and usually takes too long. Otherwise, I'm pretty ok with it all.

Posted by GameMiestro

I'd like an actual menu where I could create and join games... and it ticks me off when 3 people join a game, nothing happens for a few seconds, and all three players mysteriously vanish. What the hell?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Quoting GameMiestro: I'd like an actual menu where I could create and join games... and it ticks me off when 3 people join a game, nothing happens for a few seconds, and all three players mysteriously vanish. What the hell?

Happens to me all the time. The WFC is actually showing three other people who are looking for games - they aren't necessarily pairing them off with you. It's cruel.

:(

Posted by Speedfreak

You have to understand that Nintendo aren't out to copy Xbox Live. Their priorities are easy, fast and safe. They've basically achieved all that. I'd be quite happy if they stopped adding features and just concentrated on connection errors.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Quoting Speedfreak: You have to understand that Nintendo aren't out to copy Xbox Live. Their priorities are easy, fast and safe. They've basically achieved all that. I'd be quite happy if they stopped adding features and just concentrated on connection errors.

I'm not sure that it's all that fast. If you're looking for random opponents, as is usually the case, you usually spend around ten minutes 'searching' for a matchup, before you're either stuck with a one-on-one or nobody at all. Playing with friends is much smoother, though you still have to go to all the bother of swapping and registering friend codes, and happening to be on at the same time.

I agree with the rest, though.

:)

Posted by Speedfreak

I meant fast as in registering and things. You don't need to subscribe or screw around with profiles like you do in Xbox Live. Also, when I said fixing connection errors I also meant fixing general connection issues.

Posted by D.J Cat

Improvements?
Actually being able to play it would be nice.

I've had a DS for 4 months now and still am yet to play it online, I wish it was easier to work the thing out, or be a lucky turd that can play it at any Maccas.

Its almost worthless owning Mario Kart and not being able to play anyone.

Posted by Speedfreak

I already told you, get broadband and buy a bloody wireless router!

Posted by GameMiestro

I want 8 player wi-fi matches. I kid you not, if we could have done 4 vs 4 Metroid Prime Hunters matches, that game would have gone down in multiplayer history. Even further than it already has.