I'm Taking A Possibly Lengthy Leave From Forum, Comics, etc...

Posted by Minesweeper

Yeah, I'm probably going to disappear for a while. At least for several weeks. After that, I don't know what's going to happen, so I can't really say when I'll be back. I'm definitely not going to be spriting for a while, anyway.

On Tuesday, I went to my job over the noon hour. My mother drove me there and back, like she always did. She even took me over to the comic store so I could buy some mangas. I spent most of the rest of the day sleeping, but I got up around 9 and spent some time on the computer, as per usual. My brother was on the X-Box. My mother came in and said goodnight, and went to bed.

And, she didn't wake up in the morning.

So, I'm dealing with a lot of stuff here right now. I just don't think I'll have the time or inclination to come visit for a while.

Don't worry about me and Shiggy/Angy - we'll be okay. We've got lots of help.

I do hope to come back soon, though. So... yeah.

Posted by Klarth

That's... That's awful. :( I'm not going to say I can empathise (because I honestly don't have any similar experiences), but I do hope you can get through this.

Best of wishes. Take your time with this.

Posted by Alastor

Quoting Klarth: I'm not going to say I can empathise (because I honestly don't have any similar experiences)

Likewise. I've never went through anything like that, so I can't really relate.

I don't really know what to say, either, other than I wish you two the best in cooping with your loss. Also, don't worry about making any hurry to return. You've got much more important things so worry about, so just take your time and recooperate.

See you around.

Posted by Linko_16

Oh my gosh, that's horrible. I'm sorry for your loss, and I hope you feel better soon.

Posted by Minesweeper

Thank you. Everyone's been really supportive, and that makes it easier. I'm still kind of in shock. I mean, everyone is, but we said goodnight to her only hours before she died. My brother went in to her room to ask her a question, and he found her. We all just saw her the day before. She was happy and she seemed healthy.

It's hard, because I want to do as much as I can, especially talking to people and informing them, but I don't really know what to do. I'm more of a "point me in the right direction and I'll do what you tell me to" type than any kind of a leader. But, like I said, everyone has been so wonderful and helpful, so it's getting a little less painful. Mom was loved, and that's just so great to see.

I'm just in enough shock to be more worried about other people than about me right now, which suits me fine. I'm especially worried about the kids where my mom worked - the elementary school lunch program. I mean, they all saw practically everyday, and most of them adored her. I'm also kind of worried about our dog - he isn't eating and he's being kind of mopey. He's getting lots of cookies and snuggles though, so he'll be fine. x3

It's hard to explain; part of me is just absolutely heart-broken, because my mom was like my best friend. I could trust her with anything. And another part is in total denial. Y'know, saying she's just out for a while and she'll be back soon. Our dog is a big help, though. He's so cute, you can't help but smile when you see him. =) And besides, if my mom saw us moping around, she'd be pissed, so I'm not going to get depressed. Or at least, not MAJORLY depressed. ... Alright, I'll TRY not to get majorly depressed. <.<; One thing I'm doing is continuing with bell playing. We have performances soon, so I wouldn't feel right about just stopping. Besides, my mother would be extra pissed if I jumped ship now. ^.^;;

We're trying to co-ordinate everything and everyone right now, especially legal stuff, and it's hard, because my mother wasn't very organized. ^.^ In case you're wondering, I'm online right now because a couple of people needed to be contacted via email.

The preliminary examination says the cause of death seems to be "coronary arterial thrombosis" - basically, a very fast major heart failure - but a few more tests need to be done. She apparently died very soon after she went to bed. But she died in her sleep, and it was fast and painless, and I know that my mom wouldn't have wanted it any other way.

I think that's it for now. If I have any more information, I'll be sure to post it when I can. Right now, my dad and brother are waiting for me so we can keep playing Strikers - we can't do much else right now. =(

Posted by Ex-Linkman

Oh wow, sorry about this, and I hope you and your family get through it OK. :(

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Sorry to hear such an awful thing has happened to your family. A death in the family is always a struggle to deal with, but at least she went in her sleep. You have my condolences.

Posted by Ant

Wow, I'm speachless honestly. I'm really really sorry...and I don't know what else to say really...But, I just hope everything is going to be alright for you...and yeah, you have my condolences, as well.

Posted by Zeta

I'm sorry for your loss. Losing a loved one is always hard. :(

Posted by Minesweeper

Thank you, everyone. =)

Her obit ran today ([url=http://www.passagesmb.com/obituary_details.cfm?ObitID=107552]here[/url]), and we finally got things running smoothly (well, relatively, and for now, anyway). Her memorial is this sunday.

We finally got ahold of my elder brother, who was incommunicando for a while. He, uh, wasn't checking his emails, and we missed him when we phoned. ^.^;; So, everyone who needs to know, knows.

I'm continuing with the handbell choirs (I don't know if I mentioned that or not). So, today was the first practice since. I got lots of hugs, and everyone did a spectacular job coping with the loss of possibly the best handbell player in the group. There was talk of cancelling the performances (due to several reasons - not being focused, having a person sight-reading everything, etc., etc.,), but I know my mom would have a fit if we cancelled, so that was shot down pretty quick. =D

I think that's everything major for now. Again, thank you, everyone, for your thoughts and support. =)

Posted by Zeta

Quoting Minesweeper: I'm continuing with the handbell choirs (I don't know if I mentioned that or not).

A long time ago, I think, you said you do Christmas performances, right?

Posted by Minesweeper

Yup. The group I started with (and still play with) is the Westworth United Chapel Bell choir. It's a church group, so nearly all of their performances are for church services. In fact, performing in services is the payment for letting us practice in the church. x3 They also participate in mass choir dealies, like concerts where many bell groups get together, usually Winnipeg or Manitoba wide bell conferences.

The other group I've subbed (substituted - taken the place of a member for one or several practices, and occasionally performances) with is the University Women's Handbell Choir. The members are all 50+, except for me and the other subs. =^^= I was recruited this year because one member fell and broke her collar bone. >.O I'm sort of an honorary member. x3

However, the conductor for our groups actually conducted 800 ringers in the 9th International Handbell Symposium in 2000. =O She's incredible. I mean, really, she's a dynamo. She's just had major surgery on her shoulder, and she STILL won't stay away from the bell choir practices. XD

Here:
[quote][SIZE="1"]Morna-June Morrow
ARCT & AMM (Piano Performance), B. Mus., B. Ed., M. Ed. (University of Manitoba)

Retired public school music educator/supervisor. Involved with handbells since 1969, she currently directs the University Women's Club Handbell Choir, the Westworth United Church Chapel Bells, and the Manitoba Guild Handbell Ringers. Past President of the Manitoba Guild of English Handbell Ringers, past National Chair of the Handbell Guilds of Canada. She was the Canadian director at the 9th International Handbell Symposium in Birmingham, England. She has been a massed ringing director at National Ringing Link Conferences in Winnipeg (2002) and Penticton, BC (2005).
Active as a workshop clinician and festival adjudicator across western Canada and Minnesota.[/SIZE]

I play (or have played) in all three mentioned choirs, though the MGEHR didn't play the last couple of years, just because of a lack of available ringers.

Another past president, Tracy Wright, also played with the Westworth bells for a long time. She's awesome, too. Watching her play solo bells is something else. She doesn't play with us anymore, since she's now a mommy and very busy with other dealies, but she will sub(stitute) on occassion if someone is unable to attend a practice. x3

Also, the lady I'm currently subbing for in the UWC choir is actually a second dynamo by the name of Audrey Jones. Here:
[quote][SIZE="1"]The first handbell choir in Manitoba was formed in 1966 at Tec-Voc High School in Winnipeg, under the director of Fred Merrett, assisted by Audrey Jones. Frieda Derksen formed the first church handbell group in East Kildonan, while Morna-June Morrow was the first to use handbells in elementary schools in the Fort Garry School Division (1970). Since then, handbells have been used in school, church and community settings, both in the cities of Winnipeg and Brandon, as well as smaller rural areas. As of January 1999, there are 32 sets of handbells in Manitoba.[/SIZE]

And I don't care if my long-*** posts are annoying, I'm getting a kick out of writing them, so NYAH! x3