George Harrison: 20 launch titles

Posted by Speedfreak

[URL="http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=16005"]http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=16005[/URL]

[COLOR=palegreen]Nintendo's Revolution console will be supported by around 20 [/COLOR][COLOR=palegreen]software[/COLOR][COLOR=palegreen] titles when it launches later this year, with a third of them being first-party games, according to Nintendo of America senior VP George Harrison.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=palegreen]Speaking in an interview with US magazine Game Informer, Harrison, who heads up NOA's [/COLOR][COLOR=palegreen]marketing[/COLOR][COLOR=palegreen] and corporate communications, emphasised the importance of making an impact with software early in the lifespan of the console.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#98fb98][/COLOR]
[COLOR=palegreen]The company has learned lessons from the success of Sony's PS2 and the difficulties faced by [/COLOR][COLOR=palegreen]GameCube[/COLOR][COLOR=palegreen], he said, commenting that "you really make your reputation in the first year."[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#98fb98][/COLOR]
[COLOR=palegreen]"You've got to deliver software, not just at launch, but you've got to deliver software in the first six to nine months after launch," he explained. "In GameCube, we didn't have that, we had kind of a drought for six months after it launched. By that time your reputation starts to solidify and it's hard to reverse that after awhile."[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#98fb98][/COLOR]
[COLOR=palegreen]While Nintendo has traditionally been the most important supplier of software for its own consoles, the company's emphasis on the speed and low cost of development for the Revolution seems to have paid off to some extent, if Harrison's claim that two thirds of the titles launched with the system will be third-party is correct.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=palegreen]Harrison also commented in the interview that the company was considering new ways of marketing the console, stating that showing gameplay videos will probably be insufficient. Nintendo's Revolution advertising may instead focus on showing gamers actually using the different functionality of the controller.[/COLOR]

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Not too impressive when you take into consideratin that some may not even show up and others may just be little tech demos to get people use to the remote. But, if there's at least one mario, a SSB and more games like Sadness and Red Steel, who knows, this could turn out to be a pretty good launch.

Posted by Klarth

Can't possibly be as bad as the 360's. Remember, the N64 and GCN launches were pretty **** fantastic if I recall correctly.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Quoting Klarth: Can't possibly be as bad as the 360's. Remember, the N64 and GCN launches were pretty **** fantastic if I recall correctly.

Yup - Super Mario 64, Mario Kart, Goldeneye, Pilotwings...

Then on the Gamecube, they had Luigi's Mansion, Rogue Leader, and Smash Brothers around two weeks into the launch.

Posted by Pit

Quoting Klarth: Can't possibly be as bad as the 360's. Remember, the N64 and GCN launches were pretty **** fantastic if I recall correctly.

Maybe in UK, but what was it, SSBM and Luigis Mansion, which sucked... after that was like 6 months till a good game came out.

Posted by Ant

Yeah, recently in an interview with some lady at Nintendo(she's one of the big ones), she said that there was too much a gap between games after launch for Gamecube.

But with 20 plus games, that's a huge line up. Although the only question I really have is if these are all exclusive titles or if some are for all 3...

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Pit]Maybe in UK, but what was it, SSBM and Luigis Mansion, which sucked... after that was like 6 months till a good game came out.

Luigi's Mansion, Rogue Leader, Burnout, Super Monkey Ball and Tony Hawk, followed by Smash Bros about 2 weeks later. I always thought it was a pretty killer launch.

[quote=Vampiro]Not too impressive when you take into consideratin that some may not even show up and others may just be little tech demos to get people use to the remote. But, if there's at least one mario, a SSB and more games like Sadness and Red Steel, who knows, this could turn out to be a pretty good launch.

I like how you can reduce what's pretty significant news based on pretty much nothing.

Quoted post: I like how you can reduce what's pretty significant news based on pretty much nothing.

I'm just going by what I've seen in the past. Some developers don't make it in time, and if the DS is any example, I expect to see a few tech demos in tha launch lineup.

And the GC launch was pretty bad, in my opinion. I got a bunch of games but only really enjoyed Luigi's Mansion and SSBM. Not very impressive.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Quoting Vampiro: And the GC launch was pretty bad, in my opinion. I got a bunch of games but only really enjoyed Luigi's Mansion and SSBM. Not very impressive.

The fact that there was a bunch of games to get at launch sort of proves that the Gamecube had a pretty good start.

And how could you not like Rogue Leader?

:(

Quoted post: The fact that there was a bunch of games to get at launch sort of proves that the Gamecube had a pretty good start.

So simply having tons of games means it had a good launch? Nah, it's all about what types of games are released. Just look at the 360. It had, what, 18 games? Yet the launch wasn't that great.

Quoted post: And how could you not like Rogue Leader?

I never said I didn't like it. I just didn't "really enjoy" it.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Vampiro]I'm just going by what I've seen in the past. Some developers don't make it in time, and if the DS is any example, I expect to see a few tech demos in tha launch lineup.

And the GC launch was pretty bad, in my opinion. I got a bunch of games but only really enjoyed Luigi's Mansion and SSBM. Not very impressive.

I don't remember anyone saying the DS launch was going to be anything groundbreaking, and the only games I remember at launch was Mario 64 DS and a bunch of crap 3rd party titles. The only thing vaguely resembling a "tech demo" was Sprung and, of course, the Metroid demo.

Posted by brownoystercult

I'd say over ten of the 20, won't be half-decent.

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

Wario Ware for DS felt like a tech demo, but I wasn't that bothered when it got me addicted so magnificently.

And six Nintendo titles at launch? Apart from SSBR, all I can think of is that they'll be counting Twilight Princess as a Revolution title (or shoving the same disc in a Revolution box), and there'll be Mario Party 11 or whatever number we're up to now.