What's the point of getting married and do you feel it is necessary?

Posted by gundelhell_wielder

[COLOR="Black"]The point of getting married is to love and get loved. To be with the one you wanted to be with when you felt a "connection" with her or him.
Another point is to have children, just to keep a generation of your family.
Or to have something more to love.

And I feel it is necessary IF you are truly in love with her or him.

What do you people think?
[/COLOR]

Posted by Stalolin

Marriage gives tax cuts. (`-')b

Posted by Ant

It's the final step in a relationship really. It's the point of no return. It's a sign of trust with the other person saying you'll "never" leave them.

Would I ever get married...? Maybe. But I won't rush into it like so many people of our age(younger 20's) do.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

I've decided to never marry.

Also, weddings are a terrible waste of money.

Posted by gundelhell_wielder

Quoted post: Would I ever get married...? Maybe. But I won't rush into it like so many people of our age(younger 20's) do.

[COLOR="Black"]Eh, im not gonna rush it. Im gonna wait till I am like 28 or more.[/color]

Posted by Dexter

I'm comfortable with the idea of marriage. I look at it as one of the ultimate promises of life, expressing that you will spend the rest of your life with him/her. Marriage vows are serious business. When I say them, I'm going to mean them.

What exactly is rushing into it? If you're in love and know that you could spend the rest of your life with someone, what's wrong with getting married and sharing your life with them immediately? Why waste more time being apart? If I was younger than 20 and had fallen in love, I would've been prepared to get married. I wouldn't have considered myself too young either. There are plenty of successful marriages involving people under 20 year's old.

Weddings aren't that expensive, you cheap gargoyle.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

I'll definitely marry, eventually. Not until I'm at least twenty-five anyways. Why would I want to do this? Probably because I'll find someone I love deeply and would want to spend the rest of my life with. Plus, I'm hoping to have kids sometime in the future, and I don't think I'd want any if I wasn't married.

Posted by mis0

I'm not even thinking about it until I find someone as committed as me, and until I'm out of college.

Posted by Xenos

Interesting thread. It seems as if I will most likely end my little family line.

I feel as if a lot of people these days see marriage as such a mundane thing... They meet up, have sex, have kids, have other spouses [or whatever], argue and divorce--that seems like the stereotypical storyline between two "affectionate" folks nowadays. It's not so much that I'm afraid for my own sake, well, sorta, but I wouldn't ever want to put a kid through such a situation for I've known a lot of people who have divorced parents ... and, well, they were messed up pretty badly. I know there are some kids out there that don't take it seriously, but maybe it's because I know friends who came from a different culture where family is more emphasized and I know if I were ot ever have kids, that would definetely be an emphasis.

wtf! Life is great, I'd rather adopt some kids and live a freelancer without worries, but who knows.

Posted by Dexter

I certainly wouldn't want to bring kids into this world without them having parents. I'd love to have a family consisting of a mom, a dad, and children/child. That just seems right. I rarely had parents around while I was growing up and I honestly don't mind, but I sometimes wonder how much easier life would've been if I had parents who were together or at least around. My younger sister, Fairy, was more bothered by our separated parents. I feel so bad looking at my own family, being with my own nieces and nephews and having them cry and tell me how miserable they are because their parents have separated or were never married in the first place and they have to be sent to and fro from mom to dad, all the while living with the drama and issues from both sides. One of my nieces lost her father at the age of two because there was no commitment there between him and the mother. I doubt she'll ever see him again and I find that really depressing.

Quoted post: I feel as if a lot of people these days see marriage as such a mundane thing... They meet up, have sex, have kids, have other spouses [or whatever], argue and divorce--that seems like the stereotypical storyline between two "affectionate" folks nowadays.

I think people see it as a hindrance. More and more women are entering the workforce or staying in college/university for a few extra years in hopes of getting a better education. And because of this, the thought of marriage is pushed to the back of their mind. Same with kids or even relationships. People have more important things to do these days, and most of it doesn't involve a family.

Which would probably explain the decline in marriages and birthrates.

Posted by Xenos

Yeah, unfortunately. I don't know, I guess what bothers me the most is that when these kids of today grow up to be the leaders of tomorrow, I don't think they will have any skills as a parent. :\ But I guess by then, it wouldn't matter anymore.

Quoted post: But I guess by then, it wouldn't matter anymore.

If the current trends continue, probably not. The family unite will probably just be looked at as a way of breeding and producing more children, rather than anything emotional or whatnot.

Posted by Ant

Ha, it's not like our generation of parents thought that highly of marriage. And look how we all turned out!

Posted by Dexter

Quoting Vampiro: People have more important things to do these days, and most of it doesn't involve a family.

I used to think school, work, my own personal hobbies, and various other things were more important than starting a family of my own, but I don't really think that way anymore. All those things seem silly compared to falling in love, accepting it, and dedicating your life to your love and towards your kids.

Also, it isn't as though falling in love, getting married, and having kids destroys the rest of your life, because it really doesn't. If anything, it gives more purpose to everything else in your life. Finding a partner to share your life with enhances many aspects of your life.

Posted by Xenos

Quoting Ant: Ha, it's not like our generation of parents thought that highly of marriage. And look how we all turned out!

:hammer:

Posted by Fate

I like the idea of marriage, but all the legal technicalities scare me. I've wanted to wear a white dress ever since I was a kid. It's so alluring! Not really necessary, in my opinion. It causes more problems than it is worth.

Quoted post: Also, it isn't as though falling in love, getting married, and having kids destroys the rest of your life, because it really doesn't. If anything, it gives more purpose to everything else in your life. Finding a partner to share your life with enhances many aspects of your life.

It's not that it will destroy your life, rather hinder your possible successful future. It's just a skewed way of looking at things, since, I always thought rasing a family you could be proud of was a pretty great feat in life.

Posted by Linko_16

Life for old people sucks... really, really bad. You feel like crap all the time, you can't do half the fun stuff you used to be able to, and what few young people you know never call you.

Marriage is looking to the future. Marriage is when you say, "Hey, yeah, I'm a hot young stud who can weseal my way into the pants of any girl, but things just ain't gonna be the same someday. Someday, life won't be as fun, and relationships won't be as easy." Yeah, maybe you can go through people like Kleenex now and it doesn't matter who it is because you can just throw that snotty one in the trash and whip up a fresh, clean one. That luxury's not going to stay with you forever, though; you have to really get to know people, spend real time with them, just looking for that one person. You have to find someone with whom you can say "We just get along so well, and I think our friendship has truly mastered the test of time. I want to spend the rest of my life with you as an assurance that there will always be someone there to care for me. Promise me this and I will promise the same for you."

A little idealistic, maybe, but that's what it should be like.

Posted by Raptor

As far as a traditional legal marriage goes, forget it. It's never happening in my life. I have even become less and less of a believer in monogamy, which this culture seems to stress as so important. I have more than enough love in my heart to be polyamorous. Not necessarily promiscuous, but not confined to one single lover, either. I simply don't believe in it. The idea of having a "wife" is utterly nauseating, really. Don't get me started on kids.

Posted by Dexter

Linko, you just described Jude Law's character, Alfie Elkins, incredibly well. I suggest you watch the film to see what I mean. It is a very sad realization, but makes sense and has plenty of honestly in it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0375173/

Posted by Lord of Spam

I fail to see how a promise to stay with someone forever is only validated if one spends thousands of dollars on a wedding. There is nothing in the exchange of money that conveys love... well, maybe for some people there is, but its generally viewed as a negative. But yet society still requires a marriage, with all the baggage that entails, for a union to be viewed as lasting. ITs ludicrous when you think about it logically.

I'm not saying I wouldnt, but if I did get married, it wouldn't be some lame, boring LOL WHITE DRESS AND CAKE bs ceremony. It would have to be suitably badass for me to be involved.

Also, Raptor is just being silly. Women are crazy enough as it is when you're only dealing with one; why invite more hassle:cookie:

Posted by junior senior

I don't care what age I wed at. It's never too late to get married.

Posted by Azure Wolf

Marriage itself is just a legally binding status, because our society has to controll EVERYING. Even love. The idea behind it, the fact that you'd be spending the rest of your life with this one person is astounding. I currently know only 3 people I think I could stand for my entire life side by side...and one of them is a girl...
Its sort of scary to think of. To like someone so much that you'd dismiss all other oprtunities to be with someone else. It must be an amazing feat for those who can pull it off.

Posted by Killer Jordo

Marriage is like the ultimate way to show your love. It is bounding you and your lover together. TO spend the rest of your life together. Through sickness and through death.

But yeah its the ultimate way show your love.

Posted by Lord of Spam

That is retarded logic. "I spent a few grand on a party, and a few more grand on rings, so LOL OBVIOUSLY WE'RE GOING TO BE TOGETHER FOREVER."

Dont get me wrong, if marriage is your bag, rock out. But to say that only married couples are loving and devoted is rediculous.

Posted by Crazy K

I don't feel marriage is necessary, but it is wanted. To me I can't say if I would be able to get married. I would really have to be with someone I love trully to ever think of marriage. But I have to wait for the right person to come into my life.

Posted by Aesthetic

Marriage is the final step in the commitment part of a relationship. It's beautiful, and although not technically necessary, is a complete and utter sign of devotion and loyalty. If you've found your soulmate (or - if you don't believe in that - the love of your life), marriage is definitely the best eventual step to take. Also, it doesn't take thousands of dollars. Some people like grand weddings (and some girls are just materialistic), while others prefer small events. It's up to the couple, really (not just the girl, which many people automatically assume).

But yeah, there's a point.

Quoted post: That is retarded logic. "I spent a few grand on a party, and a few more grand on rings, so LOL OBVIOUSLY WE'RE GOING TO BE TOGETHER FOREVER."

Dont get me wrong, if marriage is your bag, rock out. But to say that only married couples are loving and devoted is rediculous.

kinda missing the point of marriage :cookie:

Posted by Raptor

Quoting Lord of Spam:
Also, Raptor is just being silly. Women are crazy enough as it is when you're only dealing with one; why invite more hassle:cookie:

Who said anything about women? :cookie:

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Vampiro: kinda missing the point of marriage :cookie:

Then what is it? Everyone just seems to be spewing the same LOL 2GETHER 4EVER garbage. I dont know about anyone else here, but if I felt that way, I wouldnt need a freakin' party to prove it.

Posted by Fate

You don't need it. It's just really, really nice to me-- that idea of a wedding with the white dress and the cake and bridesmaids and whatnot. It's just a very pretty thing.

Posted by Lord of Spam

I understand if its jsut something that you want to do. Like I said earlier,

[quote=Me, earlier]if marriage is your bag, rock out.

Its just the LOL ULTIMATE COMMITMENT thing that I disagree with. And I would think that the nearly 50% divorce rate would agree with me.

Posted by Xenos

Eh, I guess people mean that it should be the "ULTIMA WEAPON" thing, but I guess in this day and age no one sees it that way anymore.

Posted by Aesthetic

Yeah. Stupid people + more stupid people + marriage ceremonies = eventual divorces to add to statistics. It's just sad that the stupid people outnumber those who are truly in love and marry because of it.

Quoted post: Then what is it?

Quoted post:
Marriage is the final step in the commitment part of a relationship. It's beautiful, and although not technically necessary, is a complete and utter sign of devotion and loyalty. If you've found your soulmate (or - if you don't believe in that - the love of your life), marriage is definitely the best eventual step to take. Also, it doesn't take thousands of dollars. Some people like grand weddings (and some girls are just materialistic), while others prefer small events. It's up to the couple, really (not just the girl, which many people automatically assume).

But yeah, there's a point.

She pretty much summed it up quite nicely.

Also, marriage isn't necessary at all. Of course you could just spend your life together and go on living happily ever after, but that's not really what marriage is about. It's simply a sign that you're ready for a huge commitment. At least, you better be because it's a ***** to get out of. You're simply showing your partner that no one else is as important to them as they are and you're ready for whatever little bumps life throws at you.

Which is why a lot of women want to get married it seems. It's a sign that shows them that the man is mature enough to bring the relationship to the next level. When a guy moves in, he can simply back out at anytime if he wanted to. Because unlike a normal relationship, marriage is a bond. Or a lot stronger of a bond.

And yeah, marriage isn't the wedding. The wedding's the wedding.

Posted by Dexter

Quoting Lord of Spam: I fail to see how a promise to stay with someone forever is only validated if one spends thousands of dollars on a wedding.

A marriage license is only like 50 to 70 dollars.

Although spending more money on a wedding will be easier for friends and family to interact and experience the life that their loved one's are going into. I would be dreadfully disappointed and really heartbroken if my sister decided to have a small wedding because I really want to experience the new family she is entering. I want to have time and a place to have interactions with her partner's family and his friends. I want to have a moment when the separation of the old family leaves for the entering of a beautiful new family. It is a really special moment not just for those who are getting married but for those who love them too, and since they are traveling there perhaps hundreds or thousands of miles to experience the moment with you, you might as well throw a fun party and have a decent celebration that you can talk about for the rest of your lives. Spending money on a wedding is definitely worth it. Money just isn't as important as a wedding. You guys can be so cheap, it breaks my heart. :(

Posted by Klarth

I'll marry when polygamy's legal in the first world.

Posted by GameMiestro

The point of marriage is, well, a "merry" way of saying I heart you forever.

However, the fact that your significant other can leave with half of your stuff is a very scary thought. Anyways, I've been trying all my life to get away from my parents, why should I leave the door open to become one *shudders at the thought*? I don't think marrige is wrong at all, it's just that in my case, even having a relationship with someone else is exactly what I've been trying to avoid all along. I do agree that the high divorce rate here is a very bad thing, and people should be much more mature about marriage. You dont have to have a marriage to love each other...

Posted by Mystic Hero

Quoting Angelwing: I've decided to never marry.

Also, weddings are a terrible waste of money.

Who says you need a huge wedding? My parents didn't have an elaborate wedding or anything like that. They just got a priest to come to their house and marry them.

Posted by Speedfreak

I'd like to get married some day, but there's absolutely no way in hell we're spending 10 grand on it when that could be used on something like a deposit for a house. If marriages are about starting a new life together then that's bloody well the first thing you should be preparing for. Not pi[COLOR=lightgreen]s[/COLOR]sing it up the wall in a huge party.

Also, I'm absolutely dead against no sex before marriage. It can completely trivialise the concept of marriage to a point where wanting sex can influence a decision that affects the rest of your entire life.
If you're a virgin at 25 chances are you're going to be wanting sex pretty badly at least in some form, and it's likely you'd consider one of the advantages of getting married is that you get to have it. In my opinion that shouldn't remotely affect the decision.

Posted by Fate

**** that. I've always hated that idea, too. It just seems like a wasted opportunity.

Posted by Xenos

What do you mean by wasted oppurtunity?

Posted by Fate

To get down and **** somebody.

In all seriousness, though, it just seems like an archaic practice.
:/

Posted by Sable Wind

I actually support the notion of no sex before marriage. I don't know, doing it before then would just make me feel disgusting. Maybe if I were older, sure, but in my teens I just couldn't handle the thought. I think it'd much more romantic to hand the gift of my virginity to my husband on our first night as a married couple. Or something like that. I also don't enjoy the idea of having more than one lover, I consider it dangerous. That's me, though. I don't impose it on anyone else, because it's their decision.

As for marriage, sure, it's not necessary, but I am incredibly fond of the idea. It seems beautiful to me, two people in love sealing their bond, vowing to stay with each other forever... Yes, I know how high the divorce rate is. I just picture it for myself, being that way. As for money spending, elaborate or simple, wouldn't matter to me. The experience would be memorable all the same. For the point would be that I just bound myself to the person I love until death, it's concrete and in stone (or parchment, which ever :P).

Posted by Arczu

Marriage... well not for me. Hell, I don't even care about sex because I'm not into that kind of thing. I have tones of stuff I need to do if I'm going to be independant, and it's not like I've fallen in love with somebody. As to wheather it is neccessary? According to todays standards is may be. If it involves paying taxes as having a husband and wife together, rathen that just two different people paying their own. Maybe a whole bunch of other reasons I'm not thinking of right now.

The whole divorce thing though. I really wonder how it can happen so quickly. Two people start liking eachother and eventually tie the knot. Then they find out that they don't like living together anymore and break off. How often is it that a couple stays together for the rest of their lives?

Posted by Grom

I will get married and have children, because i am the only one who can continue the family name of my great and wise ancestors (that i know of and i want to anyway). Of course i am Christan and it is want i believe in if i want to have sex.

Posted by JonMB

Quoting Aesthetic: Marriage is the final step in the commitment part of a relationship. It's beautiful, and although not technically necessary, is a complete and utter sign of devotion and loyalty. If you've found your soulmate (or - if you don't believe in that - the love of your life), marriage is definitely the best eventual step to take. Also, it doesn't take thousands of dollars. Some people like grand weddings (and some girls are just materialistic), while others prefer small events. It's up to the couple, really (not just the girl, which many people automatically assume).

I'm glad you typed that because I didn't feel like it. I'm just gonna say that I agree with you.