Why wouldn't you want to post at VGC anymore?

Posted by Xenos

I've noticed that, lately, the activity at this site is pretty much declining at a rapid speed, so that brings up the question, for those of you who don't post that much anymore but still read, what makes you not want to post? And for those of you who are still active and is interesting in the boards, what -would- make you not want to post anymore?

For me ... I dunno. There's just nothing fun to do anymore. I was really hoping for that 1337 Harassment Team to spark up some more interest here.

Posted by Porcupine

The Judge.

There are often just no topics that catch my eye!

Posted by Ant

Hmm, I think the only reason I would completely stop posting is if I became the next Sean Fury. Where everyone hated me and would follow me to every post I made and ridicule me. Beyond that however, nothing :/

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Chances are if I stop it'll be for no particular reason. Rather, simply forgetting or not feeling like it.

Posted by gundelhell_wielder

[COLOR="Black"]Same as Vampiro or become the other Sean Fury like Ant said.[/COLOR]

Posted by Linko_16

Ant and Vamp have mentioned the only two reasons that would discourage me, though they're both unlikely. The only time I was all that disliked was during the impsex dispute, and that didn't last too long. What's more, I haven't felt just too tired to post here or anything in the past four years... almost five.

If I ever leave, it'll probably be because I have to. I either have way too much to do, or the site is destroyed somehow.

Posted by mis0

Quoting Xenos: I've noticed that, lately, the activity at this site is pretty much declining at a rapid speed, so that brings up the question, for those of you who don't post that much anymore but still read, what makes you not want to post? And for those of you who are still active and is interesting in the boards, what -would- make you not want to post anymore?

For me ... I dunno. There's just nothing fun to do anymore. I was really hoping for that 1337 Harassment Team to spark up some more interest here.

Pssh, yeah right. It's the deadest blog of 'em all, and it's really my fault. Like I said, after I'm not busy (looks like this weekend will be good) I'll get online and be stupid with everyone. However, at the moment, school has it's pimp hand on me, and I gotta pay up. :(

Why do I stop posting? When I get ****ed, or when I'm incredibly busy.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

Quoting Porcupine: The Judge.

There are often just no topics that catch my eye!

Angelwing agrees!

Lack of time, lack of interesting members/topics, better forums to spend my time at all play a somewhat large role.

Posted by Dexter

Quoting Angelwing: lack of interesting members

You are so full of it. You love us and you know it, so stop denying it. Link me to one forum with more interesting characters or more of your friends than VGC. I so do not believe you.

VGC > other forums. :p:

I don't see any reason for me to leave VGC. It's not like I go around looking for better communities on my Internets. Usually if I join other communities or dedicate myself somewhere else it is because there are many VGC members there.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

There are other forums. :)

I didn't say that you were all uninteresting. In fact, I do like a few of you here very much. But many I do not. :)

Posted by Raptor

I've been doing forums since 1998. After a certain point, it's hard to feel passionate about posting anymore. I swoop by here purely out of habit, but I don't put nearly as much energy and passion into my posts as I once did. The "wow" factor of discussion forums faded away for me years ago (probably back when Mr. Evil and GOLDBERG were well-known regulars), and now it's just something I do while I'm doing something else. Besides, I'm always up to doing my part in putting idiotic little cliques in their place.

Posted by Dexter

Quoting Angelwing: There are other forums. :)

I didn't say that you were all uninteresting. In fact, I do like a few of you here very much. But many I do not. :)

I know there are other forums. I also know that we, as a group of people that you've come to know over the years, are far superior to any other groups of people you know out there on my Internets. You've got to know this to be true. I don't understand why you don't want to admit it. Is it so hard for you to believe? I don't think you can ever convince me otherwise, but I'm certainly willing to give you the opportunity to do so. Your feeble attempts to show your indifference towards VGC doesn't convince me. I know you like us, so stop acting like you don't. [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v148/Goldendexter/Emotion/alove10.gif[/IMG]

Posted by sabre

Interesting discussion has reached an all time low. It's all very bland, and it's generally the same handful of posters doing all the posting. I browse out of habit more than anything.

Posted by Lord of Spam

I tend to just wait out the dry cycles. The only time I dont post is when I have no internet or when Oblivion eats my life.:(

Posted by MetalVox~55

I'm busy with my life outside of the computer that I don't get on here to post as much.

Posted by Random

Mmm Rise of Noobs would be one reason. I also like to think certain members who have left or hardly ever post. Not to mention theres not much happening in the Gaming World at the time. I'm sure when the next-gen Race is booming it'll be flooding with posts again.

Posted by Aesthetic

I agree with Sabredog. I suppose that I could use the excuse that a lot more is going on in my life now, which decreases the amount of time I'm able to devote to posting (which only leaves time to browse VGC, along with another forum where I need to post more), but that'll always be an excuse. Other people are busier than I am, so I'll just go with the general consensus here. Even with the bits of meaningless drama, nothing really makes me want to contribute. Sure, I could try, but it would seem like a wasted effort.

Posted by Klarth

DA's one of the only interesting places on VGC right now. If it disappeared for good I'd probably wind up going with it.

Posted by PhlyntheKT

they took away the flame board as far as I know or some one might die or something

Posted by The Judge

Quoting Klarth: DA's one of the only interesting places on VGC right now. If it disappeared for good I'd probably wind up going with it.

Same here.

Posted by mis0

DA = LIFE.

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Phlynthe: they took away the flame board as far as I know or some one might die or something

You're pretty much posting in it right now.

Posted by GameMiestro

1. If the site gets wiped out again
2. If the next version of RPG Inferno is far better than this version
3. If "certain people" get super mod powers

In which case, I would still browse :)

Posted by Jesse Smith

Quoting Xenos: There's just nothing fun to do anymore.

Blame da Super Mods that are on crack!! They ban every interesting member that registers, so of course I have to unban them!!!!

Quoting Sabredog: It's generally the same handful of posters doing all the posting.

And you're the cause of it all!!!!

We need about 10 new members that were like -Fierce_Deity_Link- or even better, Real One Bjarni!!!! :D:D:D:D:D

Posted by sabre

Quoting Jesse Smith: And you're the cause of it all!!!!
No, you are. You're a poor and irresponsible administrator, you encourage moronic, braindead, uninspired drivel, and you do next to no advertising whatsoever. There is no young blood and no fresh faces to keep the community interesting. The only recently registered frequent poster is basterd, who should by all rights be banned. If you really want any new posters of any merit whatsoever to come along, you should be investing in advertising and making it work, not unbanning the members who contribute nothing to the boards except mindless crap. But of course, you don't care about the site enough to do anything except scrape up the uninteresting members who belong at the bottom of the barrel.

Give the site to someone who gives a crap about the community. I don't know how you're even making a profit out of this place, it gets barely any visitors as it is, let alone ones who click the google ads. Don't blame me doing my job for your site failing.

Posted by brownoystercult

School.

Posted by PhlyntheKT

Quoting Jesse Smith: Blame da Super Mods that are on crack!! They ban every interesting member that registers, so of course I have to unban them!!!!

And you're the cause of it all!!!!

We need about 10 new members that were like -Fierce_Deity_Link- or even better, Real One Bjarni!!!! :D:D:D:D:D

Jesse is right, after a long time some people had posted more than him.
Some people banned other people like crazy.
I wish we could go back to the time of the blogs and blog mods jk

Posted by Axis

1. The actual gaming boards (Ps2, Future Systems, etc) have gone way down hill in the past months. Almost to the point where I don't visit this site on certain days.
2. Off-Topic, Community Board, etc. I have an extreme lack of interest in.
3. Need more members that will actually discuss video games, other than a few people, we don't really have anybody at all.

I'm quickly fading away from here and posting more frequently at other boards.

Posted by Mystic Hero

The gaming boards are filled with mostly old threads, or they are jsut not getting as much activity anymore due to osme topics no one feels the need to reply to anymore. They are gradually decreasing in activity as a whole, I don't mena 2 or 3 forums, I mean in general the whole gaming section. I mean maybe 1 or 2 posts goes into each forum day. Aside from that no more interesting topcis catch my eye anymore liek these used to to do years ago. The bulk of posting resides in the blogs which I just don't view so I have no interest to stay here if there is nothing in which I can enjoy posting about. And as you can see a lot of people are leaving for good too.

Posted by Trigger

Different year, same wacko.

Posted by Velvet Nightmare

Why not post here anymore?

Because i don't even understand life that much anymore.

Posted by Ex-Linkman

Quoting Sabredog: No, you are. You're a poor and irresponsible administrator, you encourage moronic, braindead, uninspired drivel, and you do next to no advertising whatsoever. There is no young blood and no fresh faces to keep the community interesting. The only recently registered frequent poster is basterd, who should by all rights be banned. If you really want any new posters of any merit whatsoever to come along, you should be investing in advertising and making it work, not unbanning the members who contribute nothing to the boards except mindless crap. But of course, you don't care about the site enough to do anything except scrape up the uninteresting members who belong at the bottom of the barrel.

Give the site to someone who gives a crap about the community. I don't know how you're even making a profit out of this place, it gets barely any visitors as it is, let alone ones who click the google ads. Don't blame me doing my job for your site failing.

I agree 100%. You should get a second administrator, and let them worry about making this place interesting, because you're just horrible at it. I'm not the first one to recommend that to you either, Jesse.

Posted by Velvet Nightmare

I'm going to agree with Linkman on this. Quite frankly, the small changes that Hyper made last year were the biggest we've seen here nearly since we switched from VB2. It was nice to have a change for once.

Posted by coromoro

I am sure I would still post in a frequent basis had my interest not changed these past years. I used to be greatly interested in posting in nearly every thread to express my opinion on whatever the topic was, but then my point of view changed. I began to think, who actually cares about my opinion? When I began thinking like that, I only posted when I really felt the need to, and since then, the amount of time I spend on this message board has decreased. As of today, however, I shall try to frequent my posts, because I am starting to miss this community! :)

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Quoting Sabredog: No, you are. You're a poor and irresponsible administrator, you encourage moronic, braindead, uninspired drivel, and you do next to no advertising whatsoever. There is no young blood and no fresh faces to keep the community interesting. The only recently registered frequent poster is basterd, who should by all rights be banned. If you really want any new posters of any merit whatsoever to come along, you should be investing in advertising and making it work, not unbanning the members who contribute nothing to the boards except mindless crap. But of course, you don't care about the site enough to do anything except scrape up the uninteresting members who belong at the bottom of the barrel.

Did anyone ever stop to think the reason for the lack of fresh blood may be in the way 'n00bs' are treated upon joining VGC? If a new user isn't fully articulate, or doesn't know where to post their thread, they get hell from any experienced member. With even the slightest amount of friendly encouragement or direction, I am willing to bet quite a few new posters could quickly evolve into intelligent, worthy members.

I'd also say most of these 'n00bs' aren't even stupid at all - when I first joined this forum, I typed mostly in lowercase, started threads wherever the hell I liked, and was generally ignorant of the rules of VGC. Nowadays I'd say I'm a decent poster, who doesn't cause much of a fuss. Around 2003, when many of the veteran posters joined this forum, there was very little aggro towards new posters compared to the present day - when a relatively fresh poster speaks on this forum, the poster is usually insulted and made fun of - would you want to become a part of such a community? I don't remember [URL="http://www.vgchat.com/member.php?u=141"]fnool[/URL] or [URL="http://www.vgchat.com/member.php?u=10"]tehbowser[/URL] being entirely observant of the general rules of the forum in the beginning, but given the chance, they've become leading members of the VGC community.

Go easy on the newbies, and we might have a few fresh faces.

Posted by Raptor

[quote=The X]Did anyone ever stop to think the reason for the lack of fresh blood may be in the way 'n00bs' are treated upon joining VGC? If a new user isn't fully articulate, or doesn't know where to post their thread, they get hell from any experienced member. With even the slightest amount of friendly encouragement or direction, I am willing to bet quite a few new posters could quickly evolve into intelligent, worthy members.

I'd also say most of these 'n00bs' aren't even stupid at all - when I first joined this forum, I typed mostly in lowercase, started threads wherever the hell I liked, and was generally ignorant of the rules of VGC. Nowadays I'd say I'm a decent poster, who doesn't cause much of a fuss. Around 2003, when many of the veteran posters joined this forum, there was very little aggro towards new posters compared to the present day - when a relatively fresh poster speaks on this forum, the poster is usually insulted and made fun of - would you want to become a part of such a community?

I would just demonstrate a considerable amount of intelligence and forum competence, enough to keep senior members off my back for the most part. It's not that difficult to settle into the groove of things and not do anything tragically stupid. If a newbie is unsure about a few details, he could PM a mod or just lurk and observe to see how it's done. Then again, even I often overestimate the intelligence of people. I'd say you're quite wrong. The majority of newbies who join VGC these days ARE idiots, and not just because they're new and unfamiliar.

[quote]I don't remember fnool or tehbowser being entirely observant of the general rules of the forum in the beginning, but given the chance, they've become leading members of the VGC community.

What are they leading, exactly?

Yeah, naturally, they didn't have a firm grasp of every written and unwritten rule to begin with. But neither of them were total dimwits or entirely dull and uninteresting from the beginning, as so many newbies these days seem to be.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Quoting Raptor:
What are they leading, exactly?

Well, they're both moderators. I'd say that's a form of leadership.

:p:

The X: Most of the members who are picked on are complete idiots. If you go through the intro board, you'll notice most are welcome until they act like morons. Yes, the flames probably keep many people at bay, but just look at those who do demostrate intelligence and are welcomed very kindly, yet never end up sticking around.

So though you have part of the problem correct, there's more to it.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Quoting Vampiro: The X: Most of the members who are picked on are complete idiots. If you go through the intro board, you'll notice most are welcome until they act like morons. Yes, the flames probably keep many people at bay, but just look at those who do demostrate intelligence and are welcomed very kindly, yet never end up sticking around.

So what did [URL="http://www.vgchat.com/showthread.php?t=12548"]this[/URL] guy do to deserve being called 'idiot' and 'moron' after a single, inoffensive post?

Quoting The X: So what did [URL="http://www.vgchat.com/showthread.php?t=12548"]this[/URL] guy do to deserve being called 'idiot' and 'moron' after a single, inoffensive post?

Because it's Speedfreak - He uses ad-homs in just about every post. And technically Axis didn't call him an idiot.

Posted by Xero

I just post less and less because I found a better forum than this one.

Posted by mis0

If you're talking about your little invisionfree board, then that's just a forum where you're a moderator and have the arduous task of monitoring all three new posts every day.

Posted by Xero

No I'm not talking about XSG misoxeny. I'm talking about much better boards. Forums that pwn VGC all the way ;)

Posted by Klarth

Because the admin is enough of a ****tard to mod you, yeah?

Posted by Xero

I believe the admin is not a tard, but you are tho.

Posted by Speedfreak

DEWBACK?

Posted by Grom

Uhh, not to interupt the interesting name calling or anything,but to answer question, uhh this is a great site and i can only come on when i am at school really, because if you read my cut DVD post on anime, my mom very strict and wierd about things. So that equals that i wont be on at all, all summer. It also doesn't require a confermation pass word and my e-mail blows, so i cant get anything so you have to e-mail it to my mother's e-mail. Stupid computer control. Gaaah, yar, *Grom blows up*

Posted by Klarth

[quote=Flame ghost]I can become a mod in forums where mods do not abuse powers making bad posts.
I'd like to see that happen. No, seriously, you know it's April, right? And you know that members make their own rules in blogs, right? And you know that you're totally and utterly incoherent, right?

Posted by Anethemo Rex

its called video game chat but no one really talks about videogames anymore.how many of you guys even have any video games?and if you do then how much do you even play them?i came here to talk about video games and i feel like most people just talk about other stuff. i dont know what else they talk about at video game chat b/c i think the only thing we should talk about is mostly video games.a little talking about other stuff is good but i think the vg should stand for virgin chat becuz thats what most of us are including me.

Posted by Dexter

Bogus. There is plenty of video game talk going on here. Well, at least enough for me. I suppose if someone's sole purpose for coming here was to discuss video games, they may get aggravated with all the off topic activity, but I, as well as many others, would get terribly bored if all this place truly was was video game talk. Anyone who wants to talk about video games could make a thread and they usually get a decent amount of replies. I know when I want to talk about games and create a thread, I am virtually always satisfied with the pawful of informative replies I receive.

Posted by Linko_16

Quoting Anethemo Rex: its called video game chat but no one really talks about videogames anymore.how many of you guys even have any video games?and if you do then how much do you even play them?i came here to talk about video games and i feel like most people just talk about other stuff. i dont know what else they talk about at video game chat b/c i think the only thing we should talk about is mostly video games.a little talking about other stuff is good but i think the vg should stand for virgin chat becuz thats what most of us are including me.

You missed the videogame boards by two or three too many mouse-scrolls, Magellan.

Posted by Ex-Linkman

Yeah, video game forums are slow right now, but no where near dead. It's understandible though, considering the new next gen consoles are coming and the current gen consoles are slowing down. It leaves little to talk about. Wait until after the E3 expose next month. They'll probably come back to life around there, when there's lots to talk about.

Posted by Dexter

Actually, this seems like a time where gaming discussions would be most active, considering all the questions and thoughts about the transition from the old generation to the new generation and discoveries on upcoming consoles, such as Nintendo's Revolution and the PS3.

I fursonally feel that the gaming forums have been active lately.

Posted by KoH

I would stop because of the flame board, ironically enough.

Posted by Jesse Smith

Quoting KoH: I would stop because of the flame board, ironically enough.

Make up your mind!! First you're really glad that it's back...then you don't want it!!!! :D

Posted by PhlyntheKT

Quoting Anethemo Rex: its called video game chat but no one really talks about videogames anymore.how many of you guys even have any video games?and if you do then how much do you even play them?i came here to talk about video games and i feel like most people just talk about other stuff. i dont know what else they talk about at video game chat b/c i think the only thing we should talk about is mostly video games.a little talking about other stuff is good but i think the vg should stand for virgin chat becuz thats what most of us are including me.

Most of my systems are ancient[c64,original Atari] or disassembled[gba,DC,saturn,C64,Nintendo DS]but I still try to play when I can.
Any way I stop posting when there's nothing that interests me then later I come back, I may never leave forever.

Posted by KoH

[quote=Jesse Smith]Make up your mind!! First you're really glad that it's back...then you don't want it!!!! :D

I was never glad. I was just surprised. :)

Honestly, I look at the flame board and I see a waste zone at this point. No longer the fun playground I saw before. But hey, it's cool. Hopefully with correct moderation it can be almost as fun.

Posted by Xero

I look at the flame board as a contribution for the forum. The post amount goes up fast.

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Flame ghost: I look at the flame board as a contribution for Jesse's webmaster virtual cock. The post amount goes up fast.

Redeemed.

Posted by KoH

It is a good contribution to the forum... when a good argument erupts. Which, btw, has happened how many times since its creation? None, by my count.

Perfect example of my first post or whatever: I dropped the link from my favourites bar by a mistake and completely forgot to visit here for a few days.

Same reason I left for a month or two not too long ago.

Posted by Speedfreak

No one posts interesting topics about games anymore. They're always like HAY GUYS WHO'S PLAYED THIS GAME?

Maybe I should start making some inflammatory threads in there just for the sake of sparking debate.

Posted by Xenos

Quoting Sabredog:

Speaking of which, I haven't seen you on here that much anymore or on AIM. ;o