Online Rankings...

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

I presume this is the most fitting board.

Basically. I've been thinking - does the whole idea of an online ranking system at times ruin gameplay in online games? I've been a veteran of quite a few games where online ranking play an integral part - Mario Kart, Metroid, Age of Empires II/III, Tetris, and I've seen many matches of Halo 2. One thing is common in all of them - most people are more concerned about preserving a good rating than playing for the experience and enjoyment. Mario Kart DS is a prime example - apparantly, in 60% of matches, people simply disconnect when losing so that another loss is not added to their record. Many people in Halo get aggravated and sweary when they know they can't win, and they're not going to improve their rating. Although I try to avoid doing so, I have at times actually felt apprehensive about losing myself, simply because I'd go down a notch on a pathetic rating system.

Games like Unreal Tournament and World of Warcraft - without rankings - seem to be taken less seriously, simply because people know losing is a part of the game, and is usually without any consequences. Losing is all part of the fun. It's a learning process - but if it costs a player a black mark on their ratings card, they'll probably leave before the game's over.

I know the systems can actually allow people to be paired off with people of their own skill and prowess, but sometimes they seem to cause more trouble than they're worth.

Opinions?

Posted by GameMiestro

[quote=The X]Mario Kart DS is a prime example - apparantly, in 60% of matches, people simply disconnect when losing so that another loss if not added to their record.

No, it's not, because if people disconnect, they automatically get losses added to their profile. I do agree that online rankings are a bad idea in general, because there will always be people that organize matches to boost up their rankings (IEATPOO is a good example, from Metroid).

Posted by bazariah

personally i can deal with a loss on an online game, i mean for me the fun is playing against somebody of a similar/higher skill than me rather than the cpu which becomes easy to beat...

the dissconnecters are simply pussies who shouldnt be allowed to play games if they cant take a loss, games are about fun and losing is as much a part of a game as winning

Posted by s0ul

Yeah, I'm not a big fan. I guess it kinda motivates you to play in a way, in that there's a decent chance you'll become obsessed with it. It's really not good for gameplay though, it just makes a hostile environment in a lot of cases, and takes away from the base of people who actually play the game.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Quoting GameMiestro: No, it's not, because if people disconnect, they automatically get losses added to their profile. I do agree that online rankings are a bad idea in general, because there will always be people that organize matches to boost up their rankings (IEATPOO is a good example, from Metroid).

Having never lost a game of Mario Kart in my life, I wouldn't know.

:cool:

Posted by GameMiestro

You could race me and make it your first. :cool:

Posted by Fate

Online rankings were scary to me, at first. When I started playing XBL (which is online, so to speak) with the 360, I was concerned with my rankings in the games I chose. After a little while, I realized that it okay to not be so good.

I don't condone those who leave matches when they are losing, though. That's just cheap.
:mad:

Posted by Linko_16

I agree entirely, but as long as the developers know that online rankings are the difference between a fun hobby and a way of life as you endlessly work to raise your rank just a little bit more, they'll always be there. They just want to see people play their games more.

Posted by GameMiestro

Games that are centered around online rankings are really scary. Kings of Chaos is a good example. Some of those players spend hours a day clicking the same button, over and over, in a futile attempt to get their character up to the number one spot. If you dont believe me, look at RPG Inferno :) .