Obsession!

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

I know Obsessive Compulsive Disorder can be a lifelong affliction for some people, but according to a study on television this morning, nine out of ten people suffer a form of OCD at some point in their lives. I was wondering - ever had a serious obsession about something that was perhaps not all that 'normal'? I was thinking about it after I'd watched the programme, and thought I'd share.

Grammar happens to be my largest obsession. Even at a young age, I was precise about apostrophes, uses of you're/your and the like, fullstops, commas, semi-colons, colons, dashes, and such. As pathetic as it may seem, there have been a few times in my life where I have called people rather unflattering names simply because they said "their going out for ice cream's", or whatever. It especially irritates me in professional scenarios, particularly because a hairdressers a few blocks aways is called "Johns Cut's".

The apostrophes are meant to be the other way round, tard.

:(

Posted by Altinure

that sux lol

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Quoting Altinure: that sux lol

NO FULL STOPS OR CAPITAL LETTERS OR COMMAS!!?!?!

:(

Posted by Lord of Spam

lol thats terrible good things its you're problem and not mine.

Posted by Klarth

I've always been ****ed off with rap music - Like, since the age of five. Other than that, no :)

Posted by Dog

i've hated teachers and principals since i was like 4. and i still hate'em. alot.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

No real obsession, thankfully. I'm apathetic enough that I can do without anything that's not necessary to my survival (If need be).

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Shdig: i've hated teachers and principals since i was like 4. and i still hate'em. alot.

Particularly your English teacher by the looks of things.

Posted by mis0

I'm obsessed with getting to my destination as fast as physically possible, be it on foot, bike, or in my car. I both love speed, and being early/spending minimal time in transit.

Posted by sabre

I just get irritated by the small things. Like, ajar doors, or mats not being parallel to the table's edge. I also don't like eating from cutlery which has weird looking crap on. Even if I know it's nothing harmful.

Posted by Dog

Quoting Sabredog: I also don't like eating from cutlery which has weird looking crap on.
wow. thats just like me.

Posted by Linko_16

Clean hands. I'll wash them anytime they feel even just a little grimey. Other than that, I guess there's this mental game I've played since I was a kid where I pretend that stepping on a cement square at school or on the sidewalk with my left foot turns it blue, and stepping with my right foot turns it red. I make patterns depending on which foot was the last to step on a certain square, so sometimes I may be taking shorter or longer strides to keep just the right amount of steps on one square.

I hardly ever do that anymore, buit it was an enjoyable activity pretty much anywhere I went when I was a kid. It's funny to put it all in writing and reflect on how weird it is to just make up something like that.

Posted by Richaod

Quoting The X: *what he said doesn't matter, HE'S BACK*

holy. crap. you're. back... Welcome.

Obsessions, eh? Cleaning my glasses if they get smudged even the tiniest bit. It usually happens without me knowing, and I almost never have a proper cloth handy, so wiping them on my shirt usually makes it worse. Although I'm not too obsessed with cleanliness overall, except for fingernails and hand-washing.

Music is probably another one, although it's more general. I absolutely can't stand songs being played in different keys to the original versions, because I have perfect pitch and I'm pedantic like that. I also hate bad tuning and key changes in power ballads. On the positive(?) side, I never shut up about the good music I like and that's influenced a lot of my close friends in a good way. Not because I actively whore it out (hi Trigger), but because it's impossible to know someone well without picking up on stuff like that. And I tend to correct my songs' play counts on iTunes, and I'm extremely anal about bad song/ID3 tagging.

I hate bad grammar too. Seriously, I used to walk around the streets when I was about 8 or 9 and laugh at small-business owners who couldn't differentiate between "you're" and "your".

Posted by sabre

Oh, right, forgot about organisation of things... something I'm very on-off about, actually. Some things, like CDs, I develop an orderly system of arranging and jump whenever one is out of place. My bookcase, however, much as I like books, is a totally different, jumbled mass of story.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Quoting Richaod: holy. crap. you're. back... Welcome.

Obsessions, eh? Cleaning my glasses if they get smudged even the tiniest bit. It usually happens without me knowing, and I almost never have a proper cloth handy, so wiping them on my shirt usually makes it worse. Although I'm not too obsessed with cleanliness overall, except for fingernails and hand-washing.

Music is probably another one, although it's more general. I absolutely can't stand songs being played in different keys to the original versions, because I have perfect pitch and I'm pedantic like that. I also hate bad tuning and key changes in power ballads. On the positive(?) side, I never shut up about the good music I like and that's influenced a lot of my close friends in a good way. Not because I actively whore it out (hi Trigger), but because it's impossible to know someone well without picking up on stuff like that. And I tend to correct my songs' play counts on iTunes, and I'm extremely anal about bad song/ID3 tagging.

Why thank you!

Your thing about music reminds me - when it comes to the organization of my mp3s on Winamp, I can't stand when I've downloaded a song and the artist and title of the song are squashed into the 'title' column or something. It irritates me so. I also like to make sure all live tracks are labelled so.

:cool:

Posted by sniper

I used to have a thing about having the same number of steps in every section of sidewalk, so if one section was long/short, I would change my stride to accomodate for it.

Posted by GameMiestro

I'm surprised no one has said video games.

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

If I trip up, or something, I have to trip with the other foot, to make it symmetrical. But if I trip slightly differently, I have to right it with the other foot. Often it means that I'm kinda stumbling along the pavement on purpose until I realise I'm being a twat.

Other than that, grammar also. I've actually started pointing it out to people, writing letters, that sort of thing. I went to a show the other day and told the lead vocalist of the band that his tickets were printed wrong, even. Once I got a fiver from alton Towers for pointing out that they'd made a spelling error in one of their signs - but as far as I know, its still there. [sic]

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

Yes, I have a thing for grammar, as well.

My biggest OCD would have to be keeping things clean. I've always been clean as a child. A few years ago, this got pretty bad - I'd take a shower at least twice a day, constantly wash hands, clean, etc. It's not so bad now (as I don't really have the time to do this anymore, I guess) but I hate when things aren't clean. It had gotten to the point where it made me sick.

The toilet seat always has to be down. Always.

A few others you may all ready know about.

Posted by Brandon Heat

I do the same thing Sniper did, I have to have an even number of steps on a cement block. That and I hate AIM lingo. (i.e. "u r hawt" not that has been said to me T_T)

Posted by Lord of Spam

I have my own way to organize things, i.e. I leave them somewhere and then remember where I put it. What this ends up causing is stuff all over the place. To most people, it looks like a horrid mess, but its actually just fine with me. In fact, most of them time that I lose something is due to someone "cleaning" my "mess" up, causing me to lose track of things.

Whats really fun is that my moms is the type of person who says crap like "If its not a right angle its a wrong angle." She would constantly nag me to clean my room, and I'd tell her that it was perfectly ordered. Lead to plenty of arguments. Aside from that, I got nothing.

Posted by GameMiestro

Most of the things I'm "obsessed" about aren't that big. Like when people say "If you times two by two, you get four". Bugs the heck out of me.

Posted by Xenos

I hate it when people give me weird looks--I'm always looking around to see what the facial reaction of people are. I'm also very very annoyed when people say, "meh." or use asterisks to describe and action. Lately, I've picked up the usage of "[]" instead of parenthesis.

Posted by Klarth

Also, I ****ing hate being crowded around when I'm doing something that doesn't involve anyone else. Example: At my desk reading and listening to music when my roommates decide it's a fun idea to hold a poker party.

Good thing I made my own dorm arrangements for next term.

Posted by sabre

Oh, right, the number three. I love threes. If I'm doing something repetitive then I have a tendency to look at any nearby numbers (phone numbers, scores, whatever) and check whether they're multiples of three or no. And groups of three also rock.

Posted by Klarth

Rush fanboy.

Posted by Yonaka

I have a problem with bad grammar. Really I do. I correct my brother all the time. Promptly after that I get yelled at, then hit. Its all worth it when I'm right. I also correct my friends. Its pretty funny.

Also I can't go a whole day without annoying my friend Kat. Its hilarious. All I have to do is talk about M*A*S*H, or Phantom of the Opera. It drvies her up the wall. Funny stuff, funny stuff. But other than that I'm perfectly normal.

Can someone tell me what is normal?! That's it, that's my other OCD. I want to know what's normal. I won't rest until someone tells me a legitamite definition. After all if everyone is different can there really be a 'normal'? Someone please, elaborate.

Quoted post: I have a problem with bad grammar. Really I do. I correct my brother all the time. Promptly after that I get yelled at, then hit. It's all worth it when I'm right. I also correct my friends. Its pretty funny.

Also, I can't go a whole day without annoying my friend Kat. It's hilarious. All I have to do is talk about M*A*S*H, or Phantom of the Opera. It drives her up the wall. Funny stuff, funny stuff. But other than that I'm perfectly normal.

Can someone tell me what is normal?! That's it, that's my other OCD. I want to know what's normal. I won't rest until someone tells me a legitimate definition. After all, if everyone is different can there really be a 'normal'? Someone please, elaborate.

lol?

Posted by Klarth

Boy, I can't see why ANYONE could POSSIBLY become irritated if someone was spouting **** about Phantom of the ****ing Opera or MASH.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

Quoting Blaise: I have a problem with bad grammar. Really, I do. I correct my brother all the time. Promptly after that I get yelled at, then hit. Its all worth it when I'm right. I also correct my friends. It's pretty funny.

Also, I can't go a whole day without annoying my friend Kat. It's hilarious. All I have to do is talk about M*A*S*H, or Phantom of the Opera. It drvies her up the wall. Funny stuff, funny stuff. But other than that I'm perfectly normal.

Can someone tell me what is normal?! That's it, that's my other OCD. I want to know what's normal. I won't rest until someone tells me a legitamite (lol) definition. After all, if everyone is different, can there really be a 'normal'? Someone please, elaborate.

lolol?

Posted by Linko_16

Quoting Blaise: Can someone tell me what is normal?! That's it, that's my other OCD. I want to know what's normal. I won't rest until someone tells me a legitamite definition. After all if everyone is different can there really be a 'normal'? Someone please, elaborate.

There's such a thing as "typical" and "orthodox" in most cases, I guess. "Normal?" I doubt there are many occasions where you can justify the use of that word. Normal is what you make it. Don't let anyone judge you because you're not being "normal."

Posted by bazariah

i have to make sure the front door is properly closed.. usually it's me pushing on the door to see if ir is locked, even though i hear it has locked...

also sometimes i go to hmv, virgin or some other music/dvd shop and feel the need to tidy their shelves or re-arange their stock, im not so bad when i think about that (if i think about it i end not to do it) but if im not thinking i start tidying

Quoting Angelwing: comma

Yeah, they're in the right place. The final one isn't, though.

Posted by Xenos

Quoting Angelwing: lolol?

Hey, don't mess with her, she's skitzo.

Posted by Killer Jordo

If I'm walking down a street. I can't step on the sides. I ahve to stay in the middle. You know how on most sidewalks theirs the main block, then theirs a border outside of it. I have to walk inside that border. I also have to do at least 2 steps a square. I don't know why. I'mm even go back and re step the square.

I also have to make my left and right hand OR my left and right feet feel equal. I can't take 5 steps on my right leg then 4 steps on my left. IT has to equal.

Posted by Azure Wolf

I'm prone to violent, insane crushes. I tend to obsess...

Posted by Ant

Quoting Azure Wolf: I'm prone to violent, insane crushes. I tend to obsess...

Linko if you are reading this I hope you can pick up on these signs.

Posted by Yonaka

If ever you watch 'A Series of Unforunate Events' it gives you the proper uses of 'it's' and 'its'. If you use it's it is a possession of that it. Other than that it is its. But just to make you all happy I'll use 'it is'. And yes I am skitzo. My other personalities name is Peaches. Say hi to Peaches everyone!

Quoted post: If ever you watch 'A Series of Unforunate Events' it gives you the proper uses of 'it's' and 'its'. If you use it's it is a possession of that it. Other than that it is its. But just to make you all happy I'll use 'it is'.

If you ever went to school you learned this rule is grade one: "Its" is the possessive form of "it". "It's" is "it is" or "it has". Idiot. For someone who is obsessed with grammar, I can't believe you don't know this.

Posted by Zeta

Laugh tracks really **** me off for some reason. They ruin comedy for me.

Posted by Crazy K

I hate it when people talk great things about a really, really bad movie. Im also obsessed to use the bathroom before every class in school to drain my bladder. :(

Posted by GameMiestro

I'm obsessed with being angry at people who sell G-Mail invites... :(

Posted by JonMB

I've had OCD about many things. For example, when I was younger I used to check doors to make sure they were closed properly. I'd sometimes spend a few minutes checking the same door.

Nowadays I feel weird if I don't take a shower about every 10 hours. I like to feel really clean all the time.

Posted by Yonaka

People I now realize my mistake. But it is not written grammer that I feel a need to correct, it is spoken grammer. Just to clear that up for you.

Also, why didn't anyone laugh and tell me that skitzo is not dual personalities, it is something else entirely. I hear the voice inside my head, we have many a pleasant conversation. This is no joke either. I took a test to see if I was skitzo, and I scored 34. This means that I show the early signs of being skitzo.
So you had better watch it, because the little voice may turn on you and tell me to kill you. I listen to the little voice inside my head! Mwahahahahahahahahahah!!!!!!
So there you have it, I'm so totally skitzo.

Having a conversation with yourself as a separate person indicates multiple personalities, moron.

Posted by Yonaka

No, actually it doesn't. See dual personalities means that one person has two or more people living inside you that have the possibility of taking over. Such as Peaches, I suppose. She was much more evil than I when she took over. But no this is something else entirely. The voice doesn't take over and only I can hear it. That's what a skitzo is. So I suppose that makes you the 'moron'.

Posted by Sable Wind

[quote=Blaise]People I now realize my mistake. But it is not written grammer that I feel a need to correct, it is spoken grammer. Just to clear that up for you.

Also, why didn't anyone laugh and tell me that skitzo is not dual personalities, it is something else entirely. I hear the voice inside my head, we have many a pleasant conversation. This is no joke either. I took a test to see if I was skitzo, and I scored 34. This means that I show the early signs of being skitzo.
So you had better watch it, because the little voice may turn on you and tell me to kill you. I listen to the little voice inside my head! Mwahahahahahahahahahah!!!!!!
So there you have it, I'm so totally skitzo.

GRAMMAR. GRAMMAR. Schizo. Schizo.

Anyone who can't tell the difference between it's and its is a moron.

And I also think you're splitting hairs. The situation you described can only ever arise from schizophrenia.

Posted by Nickd009

yea'h we-ll i dont' suff-r from any O,C-D's I ho.pe this doe'snt bother: you X

Quoting Nickd009: yea'h we-ll i dont' suff-r from any O,C-D's I ho.pe this doe'snt bother: you X

OH *** KILL IT KILL IT

Posted by Keael

Oops, I'm just noticing this topic now that I've made my own ocd topic. oh well. I remeber stating this in another topic here, or maybe I did it in a dream. I don't know, but I'll say it again: If I scratch one side of my body (left arm, left side of face...) I'll have to scratch the other to make it even. There may be more that I'm not aware of at the moment, but I'll edit if I think of any more.

EDIT: If this counts, I always talk with myself in my head. He's my clone. Like... here, I'll try to type it out when he talks to me. And I'm not joking, or trying to be funny. (I'll call me "me" and he'll be called "o" for other)

o- you should be at school.
me- fuck you, I'm sick.
o- no you're not. you're faking.
me- no, I woke up with a bloody nose.
o- that's not called being sick, that's called being queer
me- you're a dick, buddy
o- lol whatever, fag. at least I don't type out conversations with myself online...
me- yes you are, you're me.
o- no, I'm me.
me- we are each other. we are the same person. Which makes you me. dumbass.
o- wow, you're retarded.
me- fuck you.

...I need help :(

Posted by Aesthetic

I'd get that checked out.

The only thing I can come up with at the moment is my thing with sidewalks (so many different variations of sidewalk OCD!). I won't allow myself to step on the crack, and will either shorten or lengthen my walk if I notice that my stride will force myself to step on it. Sometimes I'm able to disregard it, usually by not looking down, but it still bothers me to not know if I'm walking on the sidewalk "correctly" or not.

I blame "The Land Before Time" :(

Posted by Yonaka

I do that too. I blame it 'Land Before Time' too. It's all Duckie's fault. But now, I don't stpe on cracks either. When I walk in the street at my grandma's house which has little or no traffic, I place my feet weird to avoid the cracks. Also I talk to the little voice Fred who is sort of like my concious. Here's a conversation we recently had when I found out I was skitzo.

Me: So I'm a skitzo.
Fred:No you're not. I'm real.
Me: Shut up! You're part of my schizophrenia problem!
Fred:... So?
He can be so annoying at times. But seriosly he reminds me of things I need to do and pesters me until I do it. I can't live without him really. It's pretty ironic. I don't want to be skitzo, but I can't live without it. Funny.