A few hours ago rocked so unashamedly

Posted by sabre

Mostly Autumn might possibly be the best live band I've ever seen.

Setlist:
1. The Last Climb
2. Broken Glass (YAY!)
3. Caught In A Fold (YAAY!)
4. Dark Before Dawn (Really good song, heard it for the first time and really got into it. The keyboards in particular were very nice.)
5. Answer The Question (YAAAY!)
6. Evergreen (hadn't heard it before, but oh my *** I was AMAZED)
7. The Spirit Of Autumn Past (I really, really got into this one. Loads.)

8. Heart Life (There's a bit more background behind this, but I was absolutely STUNNED when they started to play this.)
9. Out Of The Inn
10. Shindig
11. Never The Rainbow
12. Passengers (Oh. My. ***.)
13. Carpe Diem (YEEEEEEEES!)

ENCORE 1:
14. Heroes Never Die

ENCORE 2 (unplanned! They came back onstage after the lights had went back up and everything):
15. Mother Nature

Met all of the members except the flutist and the drummer. They were all really, really nice, particularly Olivia, Bryan and Heather. I had a nice long chat with Bryan about the Gloucestershire area, and he shook my hand, recognised me as being one of the people having a really good time in the front row right next to the keyboards (and I mean -right- next to the keyboards, I could have played them if I wanted), and when he went back stage he even said "I'll go get the others for you."

Heather Findlay just brings runons out of me, just thinking back to meeting her is so exciting. As I said on AIM... "she's one of the nicest people i've met so far. she said she recognised me from the front row as the one who was getting into it the most, and i mentioned how i first heard about mostly autumn through ayreon, and she was saying how she saw someone with an opeth shirt in a supermarket recently, and she was thinking of going up to him and saying "ha ha, i sung with mikael akerfeldt," and she shook my hand and said she hopes to see me again and that it's good to see a new generation of mostly autumn fans going there and really getting into it"

Olivia was also really friendly, and dropped the huge surprise on us that it was almost cancelled. However, she was glad it wasn't, as today was one of the best gigs they've played apparently.

Really, really brilliant. Full of energy. More details when I'm not shattered.

Posted by Dog

Quoting Sabredog: 10. Shindig

Posted by sabre

It's a really nice folky instrumental piece. They had to pause before breaking into it, though, because one of the guitarists broke two strings in playing Out Of The Inn, so he had to go get the backup guitar.

Posted by Porcupine

Quoting Sabredog: she said she recognised me from the front row as the one who was getting into it the most

Ahem, us you nig. :cool:

Posted by sabre

Yeah, I did that to simplify, so I wouldn't have to bother putting "I was going with my brother and a friend of mine" in brackets. :P I was very tired when I wrote that.

Posted by Raptor

I gave Mostly Autumn a trial awhile back, and discovered their music does absolutely nothing for me.

I'm glad the experience was thrilling for you, in any case.

Posted by Klarth

Always preferred The Gathering myself. Heather Findlay does have a nice voice, though...

Posted by sabre

I've been meaning to check out The Gathering - Anneke Von Gielsbergen or whatever her name is, right? What are they like?

I remember I picked up Storms Over Still Water on an impulse in January, I didn't take it out of the CD player for over a week, and I ordered tickets to the concert within five days of the purchase. I love everything, the light folky feel, the floydian influences, the really moody solos... beautiful band, definitely in my top five.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

I think you need to send me more of their music.

Glad you had such a fantastic time. :D

Posted by Klarth

[quote=Sabredog]I've been meaning to check out The Gathering - Anneke Von Gielsbergen or whatever her name is, right? What are they like?
Older stuff is borderline doom metal, newer material is more akin to industrial/ambient. They're a much darker band. Plus, "A Life All Mine" features Anneke doing a duet with Garm. <3

Posted by Hyper

The song you sent me from them was nice; however, not anything special to me. :( Still, sounds like it rocked. And I know I'm late.