UK

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

I talked to Sabre a bit about it, but if you have anything more to add, that'd be appreciated.

I'm planning on taking a trip to the UK within the next two years. If I enjoy it like I think I will, I plan on moving over there, when money allows it. I'd also like Klarth's opinion; do you like living where you do, your favourite places/cities/counties/etc. weather, and other tidbits you'd like to share.

Posted by sabre

Well, we just had our first case of bird flu. Some mute swan. Not sure how that would effect anything, but yar.

I'd advise definitely taking a trip through the countryside. I'm in a really nice place, as on one side of me there's all the urban stuff and the conveniences of town, but on the other side there's just rows of hills. Very pleasant to just take a walk up every now and then... which I haven't done in way too long. Maybe I should take the digital camera.

Weather's not as bad as people make it out. It's very unpredictable (and it's been getting even moreso lately), but that's part of its charm. It's not always raining, like people tend to think. Well, unless you live in Manchester, but who lives in Manchester. :(

lol

Definitely take the digicam. I'd love to see more pictures.

I wouldn't want to live in a town/city, but close enough to one so it's convenient. I love living in the country, and I wish to always live in it.

Are you in Gloucester? What can the temperature get up to there? And what can it drop down to?

Bird flu is eventually going to spread nearly everywhere, most likely. I just hope that a ban for importing won't be put into effect.

Posted by sabre

It's always pretty mild. A couple of degrees C below 0 is the lowest, and 20s or more are rare even in the summer.

Posted by Klarth

Canterbury kicks an extraordinary amount of ***, but London more so. :O

Kent is the fruitbasket of Kent - Loads of apple orchards, breweries, etc etc etc. Best countryside around, **** what Sabreydoo says.

London is one of the most convenient cities on Earth, thanks to the not-a-hundred-percent-reliable-but-still-bloody-fast Tube network. However, if you want to live "close enough to London for it to be convenient" or whatever, forget it. Getting in is a nightmare. An utter nightmare. Stay or don't go. Or only go maybe once a week or something.

But yeah, Britland's a fabulous place. Makes me feel homesick thinking about it. *sniff*

Posted by Xenos

US >

COME JOIN ME IN FAGGOT LAND.

Posted by Ant

Yeah, faggot land is the place to be.

Posted by Klarth

ENGLAND > FAGGOT LAND.

WE SPEAK THE QUEEN'S ENGLISH.

AND WE INVENTED THE CAT.

AND WE'RE LINKED BY TUNNEL TO PERU.

[quote=Sabreydoo]It's always pretty mild. A couple of degrees C below 0 is the lowest, and 20s or more are rare even in the summer.

I can say, I definitely would not miss -40 to -50 weather. I like summers to be hot, but 20 isn't too bad.

Quoting Klarth: Canterbury kicks an extraordinary amount of ***, but London more so. :O

Kent is the fruitbasket of Kent - Loads of apple orchards, breweries, etc etc etc. Best countryside around, **** what Sabreydoo says.

London is one of the most convenient cities on Earth, thanks to the not-a-hundred-percent-reliable-but-still-bloody-fast Tube network. However, if you want to live "close enough to London for it to be convenient" or whatever, forget it. Getting in is a nightmare. An utter nightmare. Stay or don't go. Or only go maybe once a week or something.

But yeah, Britland's a fabulous place. Makes me feel homesick thinking about it. *sniff*

My mother informed me earlier today that you have to pay to drive your own car in inner London (good way to cut down on pollution, anyhow). Not like I'd be driving right away though (why can't it all be just the same). Is the Tube very expensive?

I wasn't planning on travelling everyday, really. Just close enough so it wasn't a huge pain in the *** to get to if I wanted to go.

You were in Canterbury before, right? I love fruit. Besides, I wouldn't enjoy living in a huge city like London all of the time. I need the countryside.

Xenos, I'll visit Cali...someday!

Posted by Xenos

... visit?!

Posted by Dexter

The UK is a silly place. Where did these aspirations come from, Angel? Finland or Norway or Iceland is where you want to be.

Quoting Xenos: ... visit?!

...visit. :(

Dexter, although those would be neat places to visit, I'm trying to stay away from -50 degree winters. I've always wanted to go to England (well, for nearly a decade now), and for the past couple years, my mother and I have been trying to find the time and money to go. I aim on going sometime next year.

Posted by Dexter

True, those places can get incredibly cold. I am attracted to coldness, though, so they seem like ideal places for me.

Just out of curiosity, why don't you care to move to America?

Posted by Xenos

California has everything! If you go east, you get the snowy mountains, go south, you get hills, more south, you get Death Valley Desert, even more south you get the tropical feel of Mexika! :( And, of course, if you go west you get beautiful surs and forests. It's the place of your dreams!

Posted by Dexter

Listen to Xenos.

America is the land of opportunity! There's so much wildlife here In Oregon, it seems like the ideal place for furries and environmentalist. We're strongly fighting against vivisection, seemingly more so than anywhere else that I've looked into.

Posted by Ant

emerika iz where its at

Posted by sabre

Quoting Klarth: Kent is the fruitbasket of Kent - Loads of apple orchards, breweries, etc etc etc. Best countryside around, **** what Sabreydoo says.

I didn't say mine was the best, I said mine was really neat. :(

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Ontario: It's like an amalgamation of England and America... BUT IN CANADA. It's like the best of all three worlds. Plus, where I live is one of the warmest places in Canada (since it's basically in the states), with it usually being sunny - Since, most storms tend to pass right over us, which can either be good or bad. Though I probably won't be living here for too long, so a large factor of why anyone would want to build a life here will be completely gone.

*oscar*

Posted by Dog

↑best place to be↑

Posted by Klarth

SHUT UP AND DIE.

After I finish school I'm planning on taking a round-the-world-trip over the course of two months. Places planned are Norway, Sweden, Ireland, California, Australia, Canada, Russia and Japan (not in that order). I'll need to start fundraisers soon, though.

Angelwangz: Oh, the congestion charge. Yeah, during certain times of day in certain parts of central London, you have to pay around five quid to drive your car in any area with a huge red C on the ground. Only morons drive in London, anyway. TUBE FOR THE ****ING WIN.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Quoting Klarth: London is one of the most convenient cities on Earth, thanks to the not-a-hundred-percent-reliable-but-still-bloody-fast Tube network. However, if you want to live "close enough to London for it to be convenient" or whatever, forget it. Getting in is a nightmare. An utter nightmare. Stay or don't go. Or only go maybe once a week or something.

I love the tube<3. Maybe because I only lived in London for a month, but the novelty of the whole thing has always thrilled me. It's a fantastic piece of engineering and design, and can get you almost anywhere fast.

Quoting Sabredog: Well, we just had our first case of bird flu. Some mute swan. Not sure how that would effect anything, but yar.

In my country! Coincidentally, the swan was found in the lake where I knocked my brother unconscious while skimming stones back in 1996...

:(

You might want to consider a little trip further north into Scotland too. Although I'm pretty used to living in the shadow of a giant castle, I bet if I was looking from a tourist's point of view I'd be in awe. Edinburgh and Glasgow are both pretty awesome cities. Although people would have you believe our parliament is a mess, seeing it in the flesh is quite something else. Our countryside also pwnz England's.

:cool:

Posted by Klarth

Pff, Ireland all the way despite not being United with the Great Kingdom.

Wales also kicks a significant amount of arse. Conwy Castle forever!

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: I love the tube<3

bol

you queer.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Quoting Klarth: Pff, Ireland all the way despite not being United with the Great Kingdom.

Wales also kicks a significant amount of arse. Conwy Castle forever!

I have always been interested in Wales... But what is there to see? It's the only UK region I haven't bothered with...

Yet. :cool:

Posted by Klarth

I've been to 'em all but Northern Ireland.

****ing IRA. ****ING IRA.

Posted by Ant

greedy british truds. They should have just let ireland have northern ireland...but I guess it's valuable land to them or something.

Posted by Klarth

Beeeeeeeeeeeeeer.

Posted by sabre

Quoting The X: In my country! Coincidentally, the swan was found in the lake where I knocked my brother unconscious while skimming stones back in 1996...

They should call it DEATH LAKE.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Quoting Sabredog: They should call it DEATH LAKE.

Considering it's a couple of miles from Britain's best chip shop...

No. :cool:

Posted by sabre

Evil comes in the most seductive of forms.

Quoting Dexter: True, those places can get incredibly cold. I am attracted to coldness, though, so they seem like ideal places for me.

Just out of curiosity, why don't you care to move to America?

I've lived in the cold for nearly twenty years. I've come to the conclusion that I'm not great at handling it.

I'd consider moving somewhere warm in america, I guess. But it just doesn't interest me the way the UK, or even New Zealand does. I may as well just live in BC, I suppose. I do enjoy Ontario, though, and would be my second province of choice.

Xenos, Cali is nice, and perhaps one day I'll get to find out just how great it is. I just don't relish the idea of living in the US.

Klarth, if you go to Canada, definitely visit B.C. It's a must.
I wasn't planning on driving IN London, but if I were to live in a town or the countryside and want to go to London, are there options other than driving? Besides a taxi? I guess it all depends on where you are.

I do plan on visiting Scotland and Wales, as well. But I'm going to be doing a lot of research before I even decide to move anywhere. I probably won't be moving for three, possibly four years from now.

Thanks for all your help guys. :)

Posted by sabre

Quoting Angelwing: I wasn't planning on driving IN London, but if I were to live in a town or the countryside and want to go to London, are there options other than driving? Besides a taxi? I guess it all depends on where you are.

I don't know in which cities it operates (I know there's a few), but in Gloucester there's a service called the megabus. If you book in advance you can get onto it for only about

Posted by Ant

Is that some of that famous british wit I've heard so much about?

Posted by Dexter

I think I like Angelwing's yellow font color more than Sabredog's yellow font colour.

Posted by sabre

Mine's more of a midpoint between yellow and green.

Posted by Dexter

As long as you noticed my Norwegian wit in there, then I'll allow it. If not, then mixing yellow and green is totally unacceptable. :)

[QUOTE=Sabredog]I don't know in which cities it operates (I know there's a few), but in Gloucester there's a service called the megabus. If you book in advance you can get onto it for only about

Posted by Klarth

YOU'RE ALL SINNERS.

London rules. ESPECIALLY FULHAM/PUTNEY. ESPECIALLY.

Posted by Ant

This is famous British wit. I can tell because of some of the words and seeing a lot of British wit in my time.

Posted by sabre

[quote]That isn't too bad. Do you know approximately how long it would take to rise from Gloucester to London (Victoria...)? Just out of curiousity.Two hours or so. Three hours tops.

Quoting Angelwing: I've heard quite a few good things about London, and from the pictures/tv I've seen, it does look fabulous. But I can't stand living in cities, large or small. I need a decent backyard, and the wilderness a walk away to explore. Do you like Gloucester at all? Is it worth coming to visit you? ;)
Well, don't go into Gloucester city centre if you want a garden. Upton-St-Leonards - which is where I live - is a village on the very outskirts of Gloucester, close enough for it to be local but far enough to be spacious. On one side you've got a convenient bus route right into the town centre, and on the other side you've got the cotswold hills.

And sure, visit me any time. :)

Ant, we heard you the first time. :(

Posted by Ant

1st time was a question. 2nd time though, I knew for sure. :) I'm done now.

Posted by Klarth

Is this the famous American slow-wittedness I've heard so much about?

Of course.

Quoting Sabredog:
Well, don't go into Gloucester city centre if you want a garden. Upton-St-Leonards - which is where I live - is a village on the very outskirts of Gloucester, close enough for it to be local but far enough to be spacious. On one side you've got a convenient bus route right into the town centre, and on the other side you've got the cotswold hills.

And sure, visit me any time. :)

Awesome. Will do. :D You'd also better be having a concert, or one especially for me. ;)

How big is your lot, and surrounding lots?

Posted by sabre

My lot? Like my garden? It's pretty big. Wider than the house itself. I'll take some photos or something tomorrow, when it's not night. Other gardens on the same street are a bit smaller (we got lucky being on a corner), but they're still decent.

Where I live is generally pretty scattered, though. The close I'm in is totally different to another given region of the village, and then if you went a bit further up the road you'd find another different style.

I think you'd probably enjoy a homestead somewhere or other in England. There are a couple around here and they're really nice, I've love to live in them. They're scattered all over the countryside all over the country, usually on hillsides. It's great if you can get one in a convenient place.

And of course, Yorkshire's a really nice area from what I hear of it, and deserves a mention. Never been, but I've seen pictures and it seems nice. Bit far up north, but still well worth checking into. On Friday, Bryan Josh was saying how he likes it up there. :)

Your lot, as in your property/yard/you know...

Your garden sounds nice, and I'd love to see pictures.

I can't wait to go. :cool:

heh, is Bryan Josh from Mostly Autumn, by any chance?

Posted by sabre

Oh, like the whole property. Mine's pretty big. I don't know the exact dimensions, but it's decently above average without being huge. I'll see if I can look it up or something.

And yeah, he is. I'm still on a high from that. :)

Posted by Klarth

You'll never see them again. Get high now, mother****er.

Posted by sabre

:(

:)

So, I know there are lots of tourists in the summer, but I plan on going a few months earlier. Say, March-ish. It won't be very cold in most parts, will it? Moreso mild, I assume. Do you happen to know which hotels are cheapest? And just how cheap they are?

Posted by sabre

Haha, never really had to stay in a hotel around here, except once in London... and I don't remember the price of that.

And yeah, it's usually mild in march. Sometimes it can get a bit chilly, but in general.

Good stuff.

I suppose there's always living on the street. :cool2: But I'm sure there's gotta be something decent in most areas.

How's the dog grooming business? Is it nuts like it is over here? It's extremely good money, and I'm thinking about doing it for a few years, at least. Then I could come sooner. :cool:

Posted by Ant

Using the magic that is the internet. The average price for a cheap hotel is 50-100 or so pounds a night in London.

Posted by Klarth

Londonish hotels are ****ing expensive unless you want to go stay at an airport Holiday Inn. Heathrow is just a tube journey away from the city, and the hotel there isn't that expensive (or expansive)!

As for dog-grooming, the ****ing stereotypical Aristo-Brits all take their darling pedigree mutts to Crufts, so you might as well bug them or something.

Quoting Ant: Using the magic that is the internet. The average price for a cheap hotel is 50-100 or so pounds a night in London.

I didn't mean just London, but thanks. ;)

[quote]Londonish hotels are ****ing expensive unless you want to go stay at an airport Holiday Inn. Heathrow is just a tube journey away from the city, and the hotel there isn't that expensive (or expansive)!

As long as the room's not infested with bugs or dirty, I don't care how fancy it is, really. I'll check the one out at Heathrow, thanks.

[quote]As for dog-grooming, the ****ing stereotypical Aristo-Brits all take their darling pedigree mutts to Crufts, so you might as well bug them or something.

I find it amusing how much people spend to get their dog's hair cut every three months. Most of the people are ****ing idiots, but not all. Plus, it's not like I'd have to deal with them for lengthy amounts of time. I'd be rich(ish) and doing something I enjoy. Yeah, I'll see about Crufts. Thanks again!