I just saw an awesome film...

Posted by Dreadnought

"The White Countess" by Merchant & Ivory.

Starring Ralph Fiennes, Natasha Richardson, Vanessa Redgrave and Lynn Redgrave.

In Theatres NOW.

Set in Shanghai in the 1930's (on the cusp of the Japanese invasion), mainly focusing on the struggles of an exiled Russian aristocratic family and the mental anguish of an introverted American diplomat, this film is powerful, cerebral and beautiful. I think every person here should see it. For those who don't suck, there is no end to the intellectual thrill of this films, emotions run so high as to be almost painful, and the plot-tension and character dynamics are scripted fit to kill. (The acting, as you can expect from a cast like this, is nothing short of superb.)
It is a film of contrast, struggle, tenderness and eloquence. There is romance, hatred, excitement, despair, bewilderment and *possibly* a little hope thrown in.

And, for those like our friend The Judge, there is also plenty of footage of pain, flames and destruction. Filthy Japanese.

I cannot stress enough that EVERYONE with and IQ over 80 should go see "The White Countess". It is probably the best thing you are going to see all year.

Posted by Shade

Never heard of it.

Is it even playing in the States?

Posted by Dreadnought

Just saw it in the movie theater like two hours ago.

Might have to wait a month or something.

Posted by Dog

is it on in Canada?

Posted by Corrupt

I've always loved films that are thought provoking, and from your description, it sounds like a great movie. If/when it comes out here, I'll definitely go see it. Although at this point it doesn't look like it'll be coming out in the theaters here, so I can just order it on DVD.