Dragonforce

Posted by Velvet Nightmare

As good, if not better, than Dream Theater, Ayreon, or literally every other prog metal band.

A must listen for anyone that has never heard them.

A must.

Posted by Dexter

I find Dream Theater and Ayreon's songs much more emotional and rousing. They are also funner to sing along with. I would probably say I like Stratovarius and Gamma Ray more than Dragonforce, too. I suppose they've never really pulled me in that much, but I still enjoy their tunes. Good music, indeed.

I still have not heard anything from Inhuman Rampage. That was just recently released, right? Have you listened to it yet and what are your opinions on it? I'm looking forward to it.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

DF is power metal, not prog. Not to mention Ayreon is... actually diverse. I'm not saying DF is bad, but Inhuman and Firestorm sound pretty much the exact same. They just focus on speed and "technique" way too much rather than variety.

It seems like everyone who hears them at first is completely blown away, but then it sets in that they aren't actually that great. There's better... "prog" metal, and way better power metal.

Posted by MetalVox~55

Posted by Klarth

Hate this band.

Posted by Richaod

I like them, but they have no variety in songwriting whatsoever (apart from the ballads). I grew into much better, non-generic power metal like Blind Guardian pretty soon after hearing DragonForce.

Posted by Hyper

They play fast.

That's. About. It.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

what cute little elitists you've all turned into

Posted by Klarth

HEY BJ, DO YOU LIKE LINKIN PARK?

NO?

ELITIST.

Posted by nich

I like them alot, or I used to. I haven't listened to them in a while, ever since Inhuman Rampage was released, it was dissapointing. They are playing in Toronto soon and I'm considering going.

Quoted post: what cute little elitists you've all turned into

You're an idiot.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

aw, did I hit a nerve ladies?

funny thing is, I remember mentioning that I liked this group bout 2 years ago, and all of you chimed in. Everyone liked their sound. Now you're all throwing crap about variety and whatnot, saying that they focus on technique too much and speed. Haven't I heard you all bash other bands before for not being "technical" enough or not playing fast enough? Weird how that works out, huh. And Vampiro, c'mon now, no need to call me an idiot for making a light-hearted observation, now is there? Besides, the hair on my balls has an IQ double yours, so how's that make you feel?

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

Quoting Klarth: HEY BJ, DO YOU LIKE LINKIN PARK?

NO?

ELITIST.

oh ho, aren't we clever. The thing is, I never liked Linkin Park. I'm not the only whose opinion changes with the wind, or in this case, whichever direction Shin-ra or Netman tell it to change.

Quoted post: aw, did I hit a nerve ladies?

oh yeah, no one calls ME an elitist. no one :mad:

Quoted post:
Now you're all throwing crap about variety and whatnot, saying that they focus on technique too much and speed.

There's nothing wrong with technique and speed. Nothing at all. But when the majority of your songs are pretty much the same (with quite a few similar choruses)... there's a problem. If I'm elitist to expect a bit of variety, then ok, I'm elitist. I just don't enjoy listening to pure technique with nothing much else. Look at bands like Spiral Architect - pretty much one of the more talented bands you'll ever hear, yet, their music sucks. Why? because they focus way too much on technique, to the point where their music suffers for it. That's the same problem with DF. They have tons of talent, but their songwriting is garbage.

Plus, look an Inhuman. Besides more synth and... ZOMG GROWLIES, it's just "Firestorm the Lost Tracks". That's not a good thing. And I'm pretty sure I'm not an elitist for thinking that way.

Quoted post: Haven't I heard you all bash other bands before for not being "technical" enough or not playing fast enough?

like I said, I don't have a problem with their speed or their technicality, it's just the fact that their music suffers because of it.

Quoted post: And Vampiro, c'mon now, no need to call me an idiot for making a light-hearted observation, now is there? Besides, the hair on my balls has an IQ double yours, so how's that make you feel?

oh, ouch, clever. Come on, BJ. You pretty much insult someone for thinking a certain way, then use "ladies" as a way to demean everyone, and then say the hair on your balls is more intelligent then I am? Oh boy, you're a quick one, you are. I think you might need to grow up a bit :)

Quoted post: The thing is, I never liked Linkin Park. I'm not the only whose opinion changes with the wind, or in this case,

Oh yeah, I forgot, opinions can't change over time. Once you think a certain way, by ***, you must believe it for the rest of your life!

Haha, wow.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

Opinions do change over time. But I think at least 90% of all this is people chiming in to be cool. If it sounded good before, it probably sounds good now. But of course, in an attempt to fit in, we're all going to drone up theories on technique and whatnot, but disregard them when the band isn't liked by the black metal elitists on the board, right? meh, whatever. As for the "grow up remark", lick my taint, fairenuff?

Posted by Hyper

lol bj and his pseudo-angst!!!

so dragonforce guys.

ever think we might *actually* agree on our own, free of "metal elitist" peer pressure? nah impossible

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

and just for the record (suck my balls), who's to say that I was directly speaking at you with my original statement, Vampy? I was leaning more towards the Klarth and Richoad sect, not you. I've always thought your tastes in music sucked :P It doesn't surprise me that you don't like them.

Posted by Hyper

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: and just for the record (suck my balls), who's to say that I was directly speaking at you with my original statement, Vampy? I was leaning more towards the Klarth and Richoad sect, not you. I've always thought your tastes in music sucked :P It doesn't surprise me that you don't like them.

doesn't matter that it wasn't directed at vamp, really. he can voice his opinion just as you can yours. what's with you always referencing balls, "taint" licking, and claims of female characteristics in people you know are male, though? I mean come on didn't we grow out of that stuff yet :(

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

so he can voice his opinion, yet I can't do so and tell him to fellate me or suck some part of my anatomy? Where's the fairness in that? Is my freedom of speech not good enough? I would make a comment about you defending him like his butt-lover, but I guess that would just be inappropriate :) I'll never grow out of making an off-hand lude remark like that. It's all in good fun and take away from the internet. serious business of the whole argument. So, in conclusion, a mighty helping of my nuts, sir?

Quoted post: Opinions do change over time. But I think at least 90% of all this is people chiming in to be cool.

I don't know how many people liked them before, since I don't believe I was around when the thread you mentioned was created. However, it's not that hard to believe. Also, if you bothered to read any of the replies in this thread, you'd notice only one person actually don't like DF (Klarth). The rest agree that they lack variety, yey, still enjoy the band to some degree.

And I'm pretty certain the only reason people enjoy them is because of their gimmick: really fast, really technical. They're a fun band, simple as that, but nothing to call home about.

Quoted post: If it sounded good before, it probably sounds good now.

What sounded good when I was thirteen I actually don't enjoy anymore. I've grown up, and so has my taste in music. So what once was good doesn't always remain so. I'm not even sure how to you came to that conclusion.

Quoted post: But of course, in an attempt to fit in, we're all going to drone up theories on technique and whatnot, but disregard them when the band isn't liked by the black metal elitists on the board, right?

So, Gar and I right? And since Shin-Ra barely even post here... I must be the one you're referring to. Huh, I never knew my taste in music is considered the standard on this board. Though, I guess that explains why so many people listen to bands like Nocternity, Leviathan, Mournful Congregation and so on.

Quoted post: As for the "grow up remark", lick my taint, fairenuff?

There's that BJ wit I love so much.

Quoted post: who's to say that I was directly speaking at you with my original statement, Vampy? I

The fact that you mentioned me in your post? I don't know.

Quoted post: It doesn't surprise me that you don't like them.

When did I say I didn't like them, again?

Posted by Hyper

I've found remarks like that to be stupid both on the internet and offline. =/ I'm happy for you and your apparent nuts, as if you normally ask people to aid them as much as you are doing now, chances are they get plenty of action.

FTR, Vamp doesn't need me to "help" him; in fact, he'd probably be better off without me. But of course we have to be watching out for each other because we're elitist metalheads and we can't have an opinion of our own when our bretheren are at war!

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

but Vampy, I didn't target you specifically until you called me an idiot :( and Hyper, meh. I'm off to cram for an exam. You gals keep fightin the good fight (and lickin my balls!)

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: and just for the record (suck my balls), who's to say that I was directly speaking at you with my original statement, Vampy? I was leaning more towards the Klarth and Richoad sect, not you. I've always thought your tastes in music sucked :P It doesn't surprise me that you don't like them.

Where did I say that I disliked them?

[quote=Richaod]I like them, but they have no variety in songwriting whatsoever (apart from the ballads). I grew into much better, non-generic power metal like Blind Guardian pretty soon after hearing DragonForce.

How is it untrue that they don't have songwriting variety?

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: oh ho, aren't we clever. The thing is, I never liked Linkin Park. I'm not the only whose opinion changes with the wind, or in this case, whichever direction Shin-ra or Netman tell it to change.

I hadn't heard of Dragonforce until about september last year :cookie:

And yeah, I must be some kind of elitist sheep. I mean, duh, because EVERYONE on VGC likes Machinae Supremacy, OSI, Agalloch, Head Control System, Ulver, Juno Reactor, Masugn, In Flames, Mercenary, Arsis, Ihsahn, Arcturus, The Gathering, Coheed & Cambria, Air, Kid Loco, Aphex Twin, Tiesto, etc etc

Posted by MetalVox~55

Quoting Klarth: And yeah, I must be some kind of elitist sheep. I mean, duh, because EVERYONE on VGC likes Dream Theater.

Fixed for truth :)

Posted by Klarth

Psst, the point is THAT PART IS PROBABLY TRUE. Get on the right side of the argument, mother****er.

EDIT: Actually, thinking about it, I haven't listened to any DT in about a month. :/

Quoted post: Fixed for truth

except I don't :(

Posted by MetalVox~55

Quoting Klarth: Psst, the point is THAT PART IS PROBABLY TRUE. Get on the right side of the argument, mother****er.

EDIT: Actually, thinking about it, I haven't listened to any DT in about a month. :/

I am on the right side of the argument. I hate Dragonforce because I don't like cheese in my music.

Quoting Vampiro: except I don't :(

You listen to black metal. Case in point. <3 you though.

Posted by Klarth

[quote]
I am on the right side of the argument.
You're supporting Bj by saying what you just did, though. :(

One thing I don't get is his reasoning that we're all elitists for all "previously liking a band and then suddenly everyone hates them". I don't remember there ever being a Dragonforce fad here. I've disliked the band ever since learning of their existence.

Posted by Axis

Ever since I read Richaod mention Blind Guardian, I've come to like them much more. Good band indeed.

Posted by Captain Cleanoff

Who is the fag that keeps deleting all of my posts?

Anyways, this band sounds like they stole NoFX's drummer. They are good technically, but nothing is memorable about their music, whatsoever, besides that they are the only power metal band that makes me think of NoFX.

Quoted post: You listen to black metal. Case in point. <3 you though.

I also listen to tons of Prog and Power Metal.

<4

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Axis: Ever since I read Richaod mention Blind Guardian, I've come to like them much more. Good band indeed.

Haha, cool. I credit my liking them entirely to Klarth though, for whoring out And Then There Was Silence. I need more songs like that.

[quote=//Phantom]They are good technically, but nothing is memorable about their music
True. At least compared to the hordes of other good bands out there.

Posted by Raptor

I find the music of Dragonforce to be quite hilarious, but only when I am sufficiently drunk or am in some other kind of state which leads me to being amused very easily. The same goes for Blind Guardian, Rhapsody, and all those other ridiculously fruity bands. What is most humourous of all is that some people actually take these bands... seriously . . .

Posted by Hyper

I find it really hard to get into Blind Guardian aside from one song. Rhapsody I haven't even given a chance to yet, and I don't plan on it either. As for Dragonforce, I've listened to some MIDI transcriptions and they were all right. The technical skill was shown without any of the cheesy lyrics.

Posted by G-Sides

DF is almost just like StormWarrior, but faster and with more technicality.
And I don't really like SW.
So I don't really like DF.

Posted by Velvet Nightmare

You guys are blowing this up; it was more meant to be a joke than anything. Dragonforce is okay at what they do, for me, they're a cool band to listen to driving around town with the windows down just being crazy. If you want an actual band with more form and character, you're better off with someone like Dream Theater.

Really, two different things plus a joke thread don't really mix. Down, my friends.

Quoted post: Dragonforce is okay at what they do, for me, they're a cool band to listen to driving around town with the windows down just being crazy.

Gotta agree with that.

Posted by Axis

Well, I have my two of my friends listen to Dragonforce last night and heard the two most retarded comments of my life.

1. "I think that music is sped up, nobody can play that fast."
2. "He's singing too fast, it's impossible. This band couldn't play any of this live."

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Axis: 2. "He's singing too fast, it's impossible.

THAT is stupid.

Obviously, whoever said that has never heard Necrophobic by Slayer.

Posted by nich

He doesn't even sing very fast, like, at all.

Posted by Klarth

They don't actually play any of their guitar solos, though. Google "ebow".

Posted by nich

Are you sure they use the Ebow? There's plenty of video that suggests otherwise, like this for example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3VUBIdBaOU&search=dragonforce

Through the Wire... Good ol' MTV.

lol ded thred bumpt

Changed my mind about them. I'm really starting to get into their stuff now. It's not supposed to be super diverse - it's good old fashioned fun, fast metal. Great for running, working out, driving, or appreciation of musical technique.

They do not use an ebow, but even if they did, it still takes a real badass to melt the fretboard like they do during their solos.

Quoted post: Changed my mind about them. I'm really starting to get into their stuff now. It's not supposed to be super diverse - it's good old fashioned fun, fast metal. Great for running, working out, driving, or appreciation of musical technique.

Yeah, and like it was said earlier in this thead (I think) that's all they're good for. Which is the problem...

Though they're new video is awesome, I must say.

[quote=Vampiro]Yeah, and like it was said earlier in this thead (I think) that's all they're good for. Which is the problem...

Though they're new video is awesome, I must say.Sure, but I wouldn't want them to try to do anything else. I have other bands to listen to for that. There absolutely isn't a problem with them not doing anything else besides that.

Indeed. But, it's not that they shouldn't do what they do, it's just that they shouldn't get the amount of love that they do. They're almost seen as one of the best Power Metal bands out there... and they really aren't.

They might not be the best in terms of creativity, but in terms of techical playing they are up there, and in enjoyability as well. And I listen to music because I enjoy it.

Posted by Grave Wisdom

DragonForce is alright, but if i'm in the mood for Power Metal...i'd take Rhapsody,Kamelot, or Gamma Ray over them any day.

Posted by Klarth

Rhapsody are gay

Posted by Grave Wisdom

Quoting Klarth: Rhapsody are gay

Agreed, but they're still enjoyable in a super cheesy sort've way.

Posted by Klarth

[quote=Grave Wisdom]sort've
"Sort of" cannot be equated to a contraction of the nonexistent expression "sort have". You're worse than all those "could of" people.

Luca Turilli's Dreamquest > Rhapsody.

Posted by Sapphire Rose

My friend just recently showed me this band, and as people have said earlier, while not the best, I do like just putting them in for a bit of fun here and there.

Now, I hate to stray off topic but, what other bands are there like this (I know of BG, DT, and SX)? I usually don't stray too far outside of the Death Metal category and am looking to broaden my metal horizons.

Quoted post: what other bands are there like this (I know of BG, DT, and SX)

Are we talking about Power Metal, Prog Metal, or just really technical ****? Because if you want technical, check out Spiral Architect. They get so complex at some points that it's almost unlistenable.

Posted by Boner

DF recently came to Chicago. I was impressed. They really do put on a good show. I also recently saw Dream Theater here. DT>DF But, DF is still pretty danm good.

Posted by Klarth

DT are pretty much the kings of prog metal, and they piss all over Dragonforce in terms of technicality.

Helloween = Quintessential power metal band. Kinda cheesy, but FAAAST.

I DO NOT ENJOY HELLOWEEN

Never could like them, no matter how hard I try. Same with Rhapsody. So quintessential shmintessential

Posted by Grave Wisdom

One of the reasons I like Helloween so much is they never take themselves too seriously... unlike a lot of other Power Metal bands one could mention.

I can't think of many "cheesy" Power Metal bands that take themselves seriously...

Posted by Grave Wisdom

Manowar for one

Posted by Klarth

Rhapsody

"I can't think of many"

Posted by Moogs

I love DragonForce...