Rev Specs

Posted by nich

So if you haven't already heard, IGN has spoken with the many developers who have the dev kits and have put together what are quite liekely to be the tech specs for the Revolution. As Nintendo has stressed from the begining, they aren't interested in graphics and are instead pushing their new innovative controller. As expected all the specs are much lower than the PS3 and XBox 360.

Quoted post: IBM's "Broadway" CPU is clocked at 729MHz, according to updated Nintendo documentation. By comparison, GameCube's Gekko CPU ran at 485MHz. The original Xbox's CPU, admittedly a different architecture altogether, was clocked at 733MHz. Meanwhile, Xbox 360 runs three symmetrical cores at 3.2GHz.

Revolution's ATI-provided "Hollywood" GPU clocks in at 243MHz. By comparison, GameCube's GPU ran at 162MHz, while the GPU on the original Xbox was clocked at 233MHz. Sources we spoke with suggest that it is unlikely the GPU will feature any added shaders, as has been speculated.

The overall system memory numbers we reported last December have not greatly fluctuated, but new clarifications have surfaced. Revolution will operate using 24MBs of "main" 1T-SRAM. It will additionally boast 64MBs of "external" 1T-SRAM. That brings the total number of system RAM up to 88MBs, not including the 3MB texture buffer on the GPU. By comparison, GameCube featured 40MBs of RAM not counting the GPU's on-board 3MBs. The original Xbox included 64MBs total RAM. Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 operate on 512MBs of RAM.

http://revolution.ign.com/articles/699/699118p1.html

Posted by Speedfreak

Those specs mean next to nothing. I mean, judging from all the info for Hollywood (just the clock speed, which is pretty much utterly meaningless) we can either say it's 1.5x a Flipper or just under half the strength of Xbox 360's GPU, Xenos. And believe me, there's a gigantic difference between the two.

Posted by Klarth

I'm not really bothered by this. At all.

Posted by Colonel

i don't know its kind of getting to me.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Why? Doesn't bother me. It's not like we haven't none this for a really long time.

Posted by Ant

Would had been nice if they were a bit better...but, hopefully the gameplay of games will make up for the lack in the graphical department.

Quoted post: Would had been nice if they were a bit better...but, hopefully the gameplay of games will make up for the lack in the graphical department.

here's hoping. It's just a shame that Nintendo couldn't build something with great graphics AND this new form of control. But oh well.

Posted by Skitzo Control

Nintendo is smart. They know they can't win when it comes to the power of the system, but, let's face it, Nintendo does win when it comes to titles. I'm willing to bet at least 90% of the people that buy the Revolution will be buying it for two very good reasons: Mario and Link.

Posted by Lord of Spam

I really dont see why graphics make that much of a difference to a certain degree. After the initial shock wears off, its right back to being unnoticable. Too much emphasis is placed on how many polys a system can render and all the crap it can do with them.

And besides, seems to me that RE4 looked pretty **** good.:/

Posted by Prince Shondronai

Specs do not determine whether or not a Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Smash Brothers, Star Fox, Kirby, etc. game will be made for the Revolution. Therefore, I am unconcerned.

Quoted post: I'm willing to bet at least 90% of the people that buy the Revolution will be buying it for two very good reasons: Mario and Link.

I'm willing to bet 98% of the people that buy the Rev will be buying it for one reason: SSBR.

Quoted post: I really dont see why graphics make that much of a difference to a certain degree. After the initial shock wears off, its right back to being unnoticable. Too much emphasis is placed on how many polys a system can render and all the crap it can do with them.

And besides, seems to me that RE4 looked pretty **** good.:/

The shock doesn't wear off. When GRAW came out, I was all "oh shi-". And I'm still pretty amazed at the draw-distance and all of the little details. Now with Oblivion, the sheer size of the game AND how great it looks... that will never wear off.

Plus, emphasis is placed on graphics because... it's the graphics. It's what you're staring at for the whole game. Plus, it plays a large part in the game: it draws you in. Just like a story or the gameplay, it adds to be believability of the whole experience. Plus, more power isn't just about "lol purrty graphix" it's about what you can do with the title. Oblivion, again, just wouldn't be the same on any current-gen system.

Anywho, the point is: Graphics ARE important. I'd say I'm a graphics-whore, I mean, why not? I want a game to look pretty. I also want it to play well, and I also want it to draw me in. But I don't know, I like pretty looking games. Yet, oddly enough, people make it seem like that's something I should be ashamed of.

Though, this doesn't apply in Nintendo's case. I'd be ****ed if it was just an underpowered system, but they're clever. To make up for that, they've completely changed the way we play games. So I guess it's a trade-off. It may be less powerful, but it will also do something no other system has done yet. Plus, SSBR. ftw.

Posted by Speedfreak

I'll only be pissed off if they don't add shader support, because then there would still be things Xbox 1 can do that Revolution couldn't, and that'd just be embarrassing.

Posted by Skitzo Control

[quote=Vampiro]I'm willing to bet 98% of the people that buy the Rev will be buying it for one reason: SSBR.Unless Twilight Princess actually comes out for 'Cube (which I doubt it will), I don't think SSB will outsellf it.

Quoted post: Unless Twilight Princess actually comes out for 'Cube (which I doubt it will), I don't think SSB will outsellf it.

After constantly insisting that it'll come out on the 'Cube, rather than the Rev, I believe they'll just follow through with that at this point. I'll be really surprised if they don't.

But I wouldn't doubt the power of Smash Bros. It attracted pretty huge sells (for the Cube) this generation, moreso than any other title. I'll bet it does the same on the Rev too.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Skitzo Control]Unless Twilight Princess actually comes out for 'Cube (which I doubt it will), I don't think SSB will outsellf it.

They've already stated that it's a gamecube game that makes use of Revolution.