Legos!

Posted by maian

Okay, sorry for the bizarre topic, but I felt like making it. Honestly, I don't know why :(

So, who here likes/liked Legos? Back in the day, they were my favorite childhood toy. I still have them all set up in my basement and whatnot. How about you? Did anyone here collect them?

Posted by Skitzo Control

I used to dabble here in there in Legos, but I never really got into 'em. I've never been very good at creating or building, so I had to stick with video games.:(

Posted by basterd

I made a thread about lego's a while back but someone deleted it, I like the megablocks a little bit more, I am currently trying to get all the Dragon's set's but I just don't have the money to get the big sets and I was almost cought up then they made the fire and ice ones. I'm a star wars and star trek geek so I have all of the troopers and ship's from them and I'm trying to get people to help me make a 6' darth vadar, I got the r2d2 made.

Posted by GameMiestro

If they weren't so easy to break, and so expensive, I would probably still be collecting them to this day.

Posted by Raptor

If you think Lego bricks are easy to break, then you're handling them too roughly. Simmer down, Rufus. I don't recall ever breaking a Lego piece. ...Unless you meant that various parts of assembled Lego sets come off too easily, or something similar. Or maybe they make them cheaper these days. Though, one thing I always valued Lego for was its durability. Costly, yes, but they were quality toys.

I still have around 200 sets sitting in boxes in my basement. Most of them were once assembled in my bedroom, and it was truly a sight to see. I remember one of the best things about every Christmas was getting brand new Lego sets. When I shook the wrapped gift and heard the familiar jingle of hundreds of plastic parts inside, I knew I was in luck, and couldn't wait to start building.

Posted by maian

I have a massive pile in my basement to this day, with at least 50 sets constructed and set up. I've been working on rebuilding my whole collection, and it's no easy task. I went on a three year hiatus, but I've started collecting again. Although expensive, I get what I can. Just recently, I got interested in Bionicle again. I collected them from the start, and finally stopped around mid 2003. Most of them are lame now, but a few catch my interest.

Posted by sabre

I don't like the new "LOL MAKE A BIONICLETACULAR LEGO ADVENTURES" type shat. It may as well just be "Build your own very poor action figure" imo, there's no room for innovation, no scope. Give me original lego or none at all. :X

Posted by maian

Well, yeah. The Bionicle Legos are pretty tasteless, but Lego has gone pretty far. Although the new products suck, I thought they were fresh and original when they first came up. It's a very interesting story, anyway.

Posted by MetalVox~55

I loved legos back in the day.

I remember having the Castle have a war against the Pirate ship, and then have them team up against the space monorail base.

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

First of all, there is no plural of 'Lego'. Stop it, now.

I used to love building them, but it always bothered me how I could finish a kit in about ten minutes or so.

Posted by MetalVox~55

Quoting Wings: First of all, there is no plural of 'Lego'. Stop it, now

Oh shut the **** up. You know **** well that you played with LEGOS, not a single Lego. "What are you doing over there?" "I'm playing with my lego!" They're legos. Deal with it.

Posted by Aesthetic

Oh, I loved them, and still do. I used to buy the green platforms that I could build onto, and would make little caverns for my Lion King figurines. I had Pride Rock, but for some reason, a cave made of little plastic bricks was just that much better.

[quote=Raptor]I remember one of the best things about every Christmas was getting brand new Lego sets.

I actually asked for a Lego set last Christmas (and happily received a large one). When I saw it sitting among my presents, though unwrapped because my parents are a bit lazy, I was overcome with nostalgia. I still haven't opened the bags encasing the hundreds of pieces; I almost don't want to ruin the "new" feeling of it - just knowing that I have a Lego set to play with whenever I feel the need to regress into my childhood is comforting to me.

Quoting MetalVox~55: Oh shut the **** up. You know **** well that you played with LEGOS, not a single Lego. "What are you doing over there?" "I'm playing with my lego!" They're legos. Deal with it.

If you must use the word 'Lego' as a noun, the plural is still 'Lego'. I've never said 'Legos' in my life.

Posted by Zeta

I miss my huge Lego robot army that I made out of various sets. :(

Posted by The Judge

I have the typical "box of legos that came from a hundred real sets but now just contains all the legos you'd ever need plus tons of those little pieces that only fit in a specific place so you'll never be using those ones again" box in my closet. Two of them, actually. On VERY rare occasions, I whip 'em out and build something minor, and then put them back. Of course, I always set myself up with much greater goals that I don't meet. "I'm gonna use all the legos in whatever I build." *Two minutes later a piece doesn't fit anywhere* "I'm bored."

Posted by NES Queen

I've always been a fan of the Technic series. I actually used the dune buggy in one of my engineering classes a few years back. Hooked up an electric motor to it and made it go zoom zoom. Much easier and prettier than building a car out of wood.

[URL="http://shop.lego.com/Product/Factory/About.aspx"]I think this is really neat though[/URL]

Posted by NES Queen

Quoting Wings: If you must use the word 'Lego' as a noun, the plural is still 'Lego'. I've never said 'Legos' in my life.

I searched all through their website to try and prove you wrong, and I couldn't. :(

Instead of saying "kids, grab your Legos and start building!", they would say "kids, grab your Lego building block peices and start building!"

[COLOR="DimGray"]omg double post[/COLOR]

Posted by mis0

I loved my Lego Mindstorms kit back when I had it. It had a programmable block which could control electric motors, lights, and input buttons/light sensors. I made some pretty cool stuff with them, including a car which could follow lines that had a working differential and rack & pinion steering. It was sweet. I gave it away to a friend a few years ago who also had one, and he made a suberbot thing with two or three of the computer brick things on it.

Now, I just prefer the plainish SYSTEM blocks and remants of kits I have in my house. I like to build, on occassion, large, elaborate things (like planes) with moving parts like retractible landing gear, moving alierons, rudders, etc. I don't like to build from kits because that takes most of the creativity out of it, I think.

Posted by maian

Heh, I tried that Lego Factory thing. It's a really cool concept, but the pieces are very limited, and there's only a certain amount of every piece. There's a way to get around it, but as of yet, the program is pretty flawed.

Posted by sabre

I always used lego as the singular and the plural. Like sheep.

Posted by maian

I've never heard using Lego as singular as plural till this thread. Legos. :(

Posted by sabre

Weird, I'd never heard "legos" before this thread. Must be a cultural thing.

Posted by maian

You crazy Brits you :cool:

"PICK UP THOSE LEGO OFF THE FLOOR"

Shi, now I feel like continuing to rebuild this big tedious set.

Posted by NES Queen

dont know why but this thread is making me think of this
[IMG]http://www.pocketpig.com/1100/images/eggo.gif[/IMG]

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

Quoting maian: You crazy Brits you :cool:

"PICK UP THOSE LEGO OFF THE FLOOR"

"PICK UP YOUR LEGO OFF THE FLOOR"

I'm gonna have to go with the Brit on this one. And nearly all others...

I used to play with lego all of the time. I just had the 'regular' pieces - didn't consist of motors, but I did have a pair of sexy wheels. I used to make people out of the lego, which provided many hours of entertainment. There was also a little booklet that came with the sets, describing how to make telephones and whatnot. I feel like lugging it out again.

Posted by Zeta

http://youtube.com/watch?v=TgXf98UAU20&search=Monty%20Python%20Lego

Posted by NES Queen

i used to own this phone. it came already assembled, but you could add peices onto the top of it if you wanted.
[IMG]http://www.phonevault.com/media/phonesmall/LEGOsm.jpg[/IMG]

ended up selling it on ebay to some phone collector for over $100. it was neat to have, but at the time i wanted the $100 more than a novelty phone.

Ever been to Legoland? That place rules.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

My phone wasn't that high tech, but it was still neat.

Hah, $100? People are crazy.

Posted by NES Queen

Quoting Wings: Ever been to Legoland? That place rules.

no, but the Simpsons went to Blockoland in last nights episode.

[quote]Hah, $100? People are crazy.
indeed. that was a few years back, now they're going for roughly $35 i think. the little stack of legos on the right of the picture is actually a handle for a drawer. it came with a few peices and you could store your legos in there.

Posted by MetalVox~55

Quoting Wings: Ever been to Legoland? That place rules.

Indeed I have. I used to live near the Mall of America in Bloomington, MN.

That place does kick large amounts of ***.

Posted by Zeta

Quoting MetalVox~55: Indeed I have. I used to live near the Mall of America in Bloomington, MN.

Hey, I live there! :cookie: And I don't think that's the Legoland he meant.

Nope. Windsor, UK :)

Posted by MetalVox~55

Quoting Zeta: Hey, I live there! :cookie: And I don't think that's the Legoland he meant.

Nice! I graduated from Edina HS. Where'you at?

Posted by Zeta

Kennedy High School.

****, now I really wanna go and buy some Lego stuff.

Posted by NES Queen

ahh... that reminds me of my trip last summer
[URL="http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b210/NESQueen/Minnesota/"]Minnesota[/URL]

Posted by Zeta

No more Camp Snoopy. It called 'The Park at the Mall of America' now.

It's creepy to think you were a few blocks away from my house.

Posted by NES Queen

well i suppose the majority of people here are creeped out then since i hit up 27 different states on my road trip.

mayhaps you were even in the mall with me that morning....

Posted by Crazy K

I was not a hardcore collector but whenever I was in the presence of "Legos" I would tend to build objects. I believe this about a couple Christmas's ago I got a lego set to make a robot, I like making models like that, and I have yet to take it apart.