I'm about to break something

Posted by Lord of Spam

I keep getting this popup:

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/penguinbob/angry.jpg[/IMG]

It disappears if I click on it, doesnt matter if its left or right, or if I click on the baloon or the icon, so I've no idea what the **** is going on. All I know is that I cant stay on aim for more than a minute, and my connection, when it works (9/10 i get time outs) is slow as hell.

How do I fix this? I'm on a college network, and I tired cmd>ipcongif /release and /renew, but it didnt help.

Help me before I put my fist through my moniter.:(

Posted by Trigger

You'll most likely have to speak with the network administrator about it. Chances are it might be a conflict with how the DHCP is assigning addresses to machines on the network. Although releasing and renewing should try and obtain a new address, which you've tried unsuccessfully. Is your network set to obtain an IP or does your machine have a static IP configured in the details?

To check, right click on your network connection and select Properties, then select the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and press the properties button. If it's selected to obtain an IP automatically, switch it to use a specific IP (but remember to place the gateway address in, so you can continue to have network connectivity going in and out). If it has an IP already configured, then select it to try and obtain one automatically instead. When you choose a new IP address to manually enter, make sure you put it on the same subnet as the rest of the network.

Most colleges provide network details about the configuration of network class they're using. Try obtaining it from somewhere if you aren't certain. I hope this is in some way helpful to you.

Posted by Philsdad

Do everything Trigger said. One other thing, you should get your admin to find the mac address associated with the other IP that you are having the conflict with. And then find that person and hit them with a bat.

Posted by Trigger

I was thinking the same thing, but a MAC address in a campus potentially full of hundreds of students would be too hard to find. Perhaps we should just advise him to take a bat to anyone with a computer?

Posted by Philsdad

Well, a lot of campuses require people to register their MAC addresses now to get on the campus network from their dorm. So hopefully, LoS can find out who it is. If his campus doesn't make people register their MAC address, then let's go with your plan. We'll have him walk through the dorms and the first room where someone is using a computer.. *WACK* That'll teach them!