Which battle system of a game do you like the most?

Posted by Xenos

I probably enjoyed Terranigma's the most, quick and efficient. I didn't have waste time going through random battles.

Posted by Legend Saber

I like Star Ocean's method of letting you see enemies before you encounter them, but I must say that my favorite battle system in general is Final Fantasy VII's. For being so simple, it offers a high amount of depth.

Posted by Admiral Anthrax

Chrono Trigger. If the game was more difficult, though, it would have literally been perfect. It was fun, but too easy

Posted by ZEN

Definitely Grandia.
You see the enemies roaming around on the field map and have the chance to avoid them. Additionally, you can sneak up on an un-alerted enemy and initiate a "preemptive attack".

The actual battles are fought on a different screen where you can actually move your characters to different positions on the ground to attack or defend (rather than just standing in place, attacking then returning to the same place) and the game uses a pseudo-real-time timeline to determine who attacks and when.
It's truly ingenius and makes for a more strategic battle system and one where I don't mind fighting 500+ battles in a single game.

The Lunar series used a similar battle system, but Grandia took it to the next level.

Posted by Xenos

Ah, Grandia--I forgot all about that game. Yeah, it was very fun and different. Though I have one complaint was that at the very end, it became very annoying to play all the battles. It became really repetitive walking back and forth those mountain ranges near Dazil and fighting those boars.

Posted by Shade

I'd have to say Golden Sun: The Lost Age. I love using all of the different psynergies. And mixing up each characters Djinn to give them new attacks offered a good amount of depth.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

Baldur's Gate, most definitely. I love the use of spells, weapons, armour, and the way the battles took place. I also enjoy Chrono Cross and the OoT type battles.

Posted by William

I'm not really sure. I quite liked Tales of Phantasia's battle system. Sidescrolling battle-action, where you control where you move and what you do. I thought it was really neat, and pretty much unique.

Star Ocean II's battle system was also enjoyable, since you were able to move around wherever you wanted, while blasting attacks at the enemy.

So, I'd have to say one of those.

Posted by sephiroth_theunborn

I like the battle system in the new Star Ocean and in Baten Kaitos

Posted by Cloudstud

I agree with star oceans type of battle. You get to see your enemy plus its a fast paced get it done type of fighting. Turn based can be slow and drawn out.

Now that I think of it, Shadow Heart's Judgement Ring was pretty original. It kept you alert, otherwise you wouldn't be able to hit.

Posted by Fiindil

Baldur's Gate, especially(sp?) the second game, the visuals from watching two stupidly powerful fighters (eg. Minsc and main char) running into a group of kobolds with dual wielded long swords (magically enhanced of course) is just awesome! Add in a few Death spells here and there :devil: fun.

Posted by Ronin

FFX's sphere grid has got to be my favorite. Mostly because it is entirely flexible, more so than most other FF games.

I also liked golden sun and golden sun last age, because the djinn combining system was awesome. That game had a lot of flexibility too.

Posted by El Steve-O

Secret of Evermore. It was awesome!

Posted by dark_zero

Quoting Ronin: FFX's sphere grid has got to be my favorite. Mostly because it is entirely flexible, more so than most other FF games.

the sphere grid in ffx: international edition was even more customizable 'cause
everybody started out closer to the center
any way my fav. is a tie between the one in chrono trigger 'cause it let you use
diff. moves depending on where your charicters are and where the enimies are,
and the in the megaman battle network games other than chip challenge
'cause it was a cross between a turn based game and a real time game.

Posted by Apathetic

I liked Dot Hacks fighting style somehow, yet it seems a bit slow and odd I thought it was easy to use and very entertaining. You can get a variety of spells and can tell your own teammates when to use they're spells. One of the fun things to do is data drain (I can't believe I remembered what that was named) which turns the enemey defensless and you can always kill them in one hit :) I dont use it much unless Im trying to obtain virus core's (I remembered this one too :)) or just facing a dungeon boss that you usually always have to use data drain on.

Posted by Ronin

I also really liked the battle system from the .hack series, but one huge drawback to those games are the insanely difficult boss fights. Like in the first .hack, with skeith, he one hit killed everyone when they were at lvl 30. That's like the highest lvl you can get to before getting miniscule EXP from enemies. But other than that, the .hack battle system was awesome.....didn't like the camera movement too much though.

Posted by Dragon Ryder

i enjoy star ocean 2 more than star ocean 3 sure its better graphics and suxh but theres something about claude doing his old fashion airslash. Even though it sounded like he was talking though a seashell.

Posted by Klarth

Tales of Phantasia, Secret of Mana II and Star Ocean.

I have an unhealthy snes fixation :)

I also forgot to mention that I absolutely love playing strategy-rpg battles, such as FFT and Disgaea. I find them fun, to say the least.

Posted by Sean Fury

Final Fantasy 10, for the Turn-Style based battles and .hack// games for Active-Time based battles.

I like FFX because not only did you know when your turn was coming, you didn't have to worry about having to go to the bathroom and being killed by the enemy. It also gave you a lot of battle options, unlike other games. I liked how you could change armor mid-battle too.

The .hack// battle system was good, because you could just plainly attack the enemy, though you didn't get much leway during your attacks. But the fact that you could basically pause the battle while you decided on which technique or magic skill, or item, you wanted to use, that was good too.

Posted by Arczu

Quoting Sean Fury: I like FFX because not only did you know when your turn was coming, you didn't have to worry about having to go to the bathroom and being killed by the enemy.
I would normally pause the game in that situation. Every ATB FF game I played has the option to pause... but it is a good turn system FFX. I just wished that in FFX, there was a lot more Trigger commands. The beginning of the game featured so many things not done before in an FF game, but come halfway, it normalizes out.

Chrono Trigger's system was actually pretty awesome. You didn't have to watch the screen dissolve everytime you entered a fight. Your chracters move into a postion on the screen and get their weapons ready to fight right there. Plus the double techs... such fun. That type of teamwork should be promoted more often.

Posted by Demonblade

My personal favorite for battle type for an rpg would have to be Star Ocean: the second story. Not only could you see the enemies on screen, but you could set the battle up as a free roam. I loved that option and it allows you to strategize even more, and you can twist special techniques together between characters to create devistating combos. And...one of my favorite characters of all time is on that game...Dias Flac.

Posted by Granseal

I really liked the Suikoden Battle system, But My favourite would have to be Brigandine and Shining Force. Enough said on this topic, I just enjoy them the most, thats all.

Posted by Black_Wolf

Ultimately FFTactics is my favorite Battle System. I spent hours upon hours playing that game. You know you've got a great game when the only gameplay is the battles and it never gets old. Second I would have to say from the Breath of Fire series, prolly 3 and 4. I really like them for some reason. Your characters had tons of abilities, the auto-fight was nice. I really enjoyed Suikoden 1 and 2 as well, I loved having 6 characters in battle. Kicked major arse. But 3, man it just sucked w/ the battle pairs...blugh.

Posted by Aioros

[COLOR=Yellow]Probably FF8, most notably during a character's limit break. Once a character began their limit break, a mini-game of some sort would start, making turn-based battles a lot more fun. Each character's limit break was different, and fun in it's own way, i especially liked Zell's.[/COLOR]

Posted by Calamity

Star Ocean 03's battle system was one I enjoyed greatly... so many hidden little strategies you could use. Like running in circles away from the monster with your last person alive and reviving/healing/etc... rather fun.

Posted by Shanuti Aborina

I'm greatly enjoying Baten Kaitos' battle system, Fast paced, real time, turn based, card battling. Sounds like too much at once. It works, The time limit especially makes you hurry, and really tests your quick thinking, especially when you are trying to make sure you remember that Chronos and Wind are opposite >.<. That confliction always gets me.

Posted by Morag2

I really enjoyed Fire Emblem for the GBA (I don't remember the subtitle)... but thats not exactly the same class as RPG... more like a stradegy RPG. It was fun.

Posted by Ant

I like the whole Final Fantasy Tactics way of battle the most. It incoparates the most amount of detail into how you battle and what attack you will use and so on. Then after that I'd prolly say the way kingdom hearts did things was done for fast perfomance and worked out the best for active time battle rpgs'.

Posted by TagginDragin

Mine would definetely be Final Fantasy Tactics because the amount of damage you do and where the damage will inflict the most devastating pain to the enemy is all taken into account, so you have to make very strategic choices in order to be able to defeat the enemies.

Posted by Vampire Slayer

Mine would have to be Xenogears. I loved the way that you could press diffrent button combnations and make up your moves. Plus if you built up enough AP. You could do a combo using the moves that your characters had learned and deal out seirous damage. I wish Xenosaga would use the same battle system.

Posted by Sapphire Rose

FFVII, Neverwinter Nights, Final Fantasy Tactics, and of course, Fallout 1&2.
Easily the best battle layouts I've seen.

Posted by Acheron

Pretty much any game using DnD rules. I applaud KotOR in particular for translating the system so well to faster-paced, console-style mechanics.

Posted by Dark

Tactics games (Fire Emblem, FFTA, Tactics Ogre) and real time-ish games (Chrono Trigger, KH, FF X-2).

Posted by Dragon Ryder

i enjoy FFT type game an over looked game was chrono cross. The reason i like it is because you can have differant combos with even normal attacks. and take chances depending on your situation. I also enjoyed star ocean 2's system to me it was just plain fun.

Posted by samee92

i like diablo 2 lod battle definitly one of my favorites

Posted by The Dark Harmonixer

I loved the Judgment Ring,there is no time in a battle where you can sit back and relax,there is just so much to worry about in the battles,not to miss the in the Judgment Ring,yer Sanity Points,I mean you will never sit back and mindlessly bash on the button,you always have to be alert.

Star Ocean:The Second Story's Battle system was also good,you could move and attack.
Chrono Cross battle system was also pretty good and fun,it gave you time to think yer attacks and which one was more convinient,I also liked the summoning system.

Grandia 2 battle system was also very good.

Also as I am gonna feel really weird saying this...Final Fantasy X-2's battle system had it's good things as well,>_<.I know I know,the game sucks though,but even crap like that has to have something good,and that to me was the battle system.

Posted by Fang the vamp

uhh I like Batin Kaitos and Starocean 2

Posted by LagunasSweetling

I can't decide... It's hard... I like variety in my games. I loved FFX's ability to switch through all of your characters in battle. I like turn based. But I also like running and fighting like in Tales of Symphonia, and Legend Of Mana.

Posted by Arczu

Quoting LagunasSweetling: I loved FFX's ability to switch through all of your characters in battle.

Very true.

The only other game that comes to mind in this area is Megaman X: Command Mission. The system was rather simple. Nothing was very complex, and the way they used WE (Weapons Energy) was interesting. Switching characters at will should be in more games. Situations where it may be better to use your power character to smash an enemy, but he's not there and such.

Posted by TopgunFFX

Quoting Arczu]My favorite system would have to be FFVIII's junction system. Some people say it is unnecessarily complex, but I like my RPGs complicated.