Most Revolutionary Game?

Posted by JonMB

What's the most revolutionary game you've played, in that it broke the most conventional game design molds?

I'm gonna go with Super Mario 64. This game created a whole new genre and inspired new types of gameplay for many games, not just platformers.

I'm also gonna say the original Super Mario Bros. This was a brand new type of game back then, and it helped bring video games back to life.

Posted by Speedfreak

Despite the fact that I think it's awful, the original The Legend of Zelda must have been the most influential, innovative and revolutionary game at the time.

Honourable mentions go to Super Mario 64 and Goldeneye 007. I'll add any more as I think of them.

Posted by ZEN

PitFall
Although primitive, it introduced side-view platforming in a visually appealing way.

Super Mario Bros
Took the side-scrolling platformer to new heights.

Defender
First true side-scrolling game. First shooter to add more elements to game play rather than just shooting.

Ultima
What used to be played with pen and paper could now be done on a screen. The dawn of the computer RPG.

Metroid
Non-linear game design to near perfection (or at least really good).

Wolfenstein 3D
Pretty much invented the first person shooter, in the way we see it now.

Alone In the Dark
Hello "survival horror".

Super Mario 64
The original 3D platformer (or at least the one that everyone remembers fondly).

Final Fantasy VII
Took game production to whole new level. Multi-million dollar budgets were unheard of before this.

Metal Gear Solid
Blurred the lines between gaming and cinema. Set the standard for storytelling that is still used today.

Counterstrike
Obviously not the first, but definitely the one game that got people playing online more than ever.

Pong
It's 'PONG'!

There are so many other possibilties to list. I tried to think of the games that actually invented something revolutionary, but often those games aren't the ones that introduced it to the world (example: 'Doom' hyped the FPS - 'Resident Evil' made "survival horror" a household term).

Posted by Red

Im gunna have to say eyetoy helped revolutionize games in general, after that, Nintendo tried making revolutionary games too ( Im not saying it's because of eyetoy though) but eyetoy used you to play the game instead of a controller it's been many peoples dream now come true, despite what you might think eyetoy is in my opinion revolutionary

Posted by Dog

Quoting Mr.Red: Im gunna have to say eyetoy helped revolutionize games in general, after that, Nintendo tried making revolutionary games too ( Im not saying it's because of eyetoy though) but eyetoy used you to play the game instead of a controller it's been many peoples dream now come true, despite what you might think eyetoy is in my opinion revolutionary
eyetoy is awsome. and i agree about what speedfreak said too. it was fun when me and you beat all the records.[mr.red]

Posted by Red

yes true me and Shidig beat all the record on eyetoy, wich was a kind of downside to this game it was fairly easy stiull very fun but easy, then they made an eytoy play 2 wich looks gay because all the games looked gay, I'm telling ya though, they should so make an eyetoy "video" where u can record a video and add effects and everything envolving editing, theyd make money I think. but yeah,eyetoy could be better / more revolutionary

Posted by Dog

hey mr. red remember the 1 eyetoy game that you have to slap the bad guys and not slap those playboy bunny people that say dirty things when you win?

Posted by Crazy K

I have many games I can think of (not in order)

1. Super Mario bros - By far one of the best games ever made in my opinion.

2. Super Mario bros 3 - Trully one of the best games I have ever played, it is definetally in my top 100 and even top 10. This game will never get boring.

3. Metal Gear Solid - The only times I ever played this game was on a demo (yes im lame), but I played that demo nonstop.

4. Soul Calibur 2 - This was one of the first fighters that I actaully liked

5. Smash T.V. - I loved this game on the NES and I believed it changed gaming for me in some ways.

6. Indigo Prophecy - After purchasing this game I was amazed with the story and gameplay. I know some people would hate this game, but it changed gaming for me somewhat.

7. Tetris - If I were to play this game, I would get attached. Im not a total fan of the game, but it did pave the way for future puzzle games.

8. *** Of war - It changed action games for me. I never was to fond of action games because I would always quite in a certain area then never play the game again, but *** of War changed all of that for me.

9. Gran Turismo - It basically changed Racing games to awesome racing games.

10. Silent Hill 2 - I loved the story and the spookyness of the environment. I loved the suspense and mystery to the game, which made me believe this game changed a lot of things.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Tough, very tough. But I think I might have to go for Super Mario Bros. Of course, there's been quite a few "revolutionary" games, but this particular one kinda gave everyone a reason to play games again. It brought life back into gaming and influenced/inspired quite a few people.

Posted by Zeta

[quote=Crazy K]7. Tetris - If I were to play this game, I would get attached. Im not a total fan of the game, but it did pave the way for future puzzle games.

****, you beat me to it. =/

Posted by Red

I think Resident Evil 4 was pretty revolutionary it had those ammazing graphics sound and gameplay while still maintaining realism, it was a great game.

Posted by Big Boss

Metal Gear Solid (PS) - While the original MSX Metal Gear (with its NES port a modest success in the US) was the first brave soldier to prefer "sneak" gameplay over the generic "shoot your way" overused style, it was MGS that set the standard for storytelling in games thanks to its equally revolutionary cinematic style, and it opened the door for a wealth of games influenced by its stealth gameplay.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64) - It set the bar for the 3D action/adventure genre, thanks in big part to its targeting system still seen in many games today.

Super Mario 64 (N64) - Defined the 3D platform genre.

Deus Ex (PC) - It demonstrated than an FPS could be a lot more than simply shooting your way through and flipping some switches, thanks to its RPG/Adventure elements.

Street Fighter II (ARC) - Single-handedly started the revolution of 2D fighters that would take over most of the '90s, and its gameplay mechanics are still heavily copied to this day by other fighters. Who doesn't instinctively do a half-circle forward + any button when playing a particular fighting game for the first time?

Quoting Mr.Red: I think Resident Evil 4 was pretty revolutionary it had those ammazing graphics sound and gameplay while still maintaining realism, it was a great game.

It was revolutionary to the Resident Evil franchise, but that's where it stops. I agree that it's an awesome game, though.

Posted by Unite

No paticular order

Metal Gear Solid
Resident Evil
FF7
Twisted Metal - Pretty much the birth of car combat genre

Posted by spinning leaf

It may not have changed the entire face of gaming as we knew it but I think that the resident evil series really kicked up the Scary Video Game genre above and beyond anything like Alone In The Dark. Never before was I more paranoid that I could be attacked at any moment. Great stuff.

Posted by Axis

Madden NFL 2005, hands down.

In all honesty, probably Super Mario Bros. or Wolfenstein 3-D.

Posted by Draxamus

DOOM 2 AHHH

Posted by Bebop

Quoting ZEN: PitFall
Metal Gear Solid
Blurred the lines between gaming and cinema. Set the standard for storytelling that is still used today.

I hate it when people say this. 'Metal Gear Solid blurred the lines between cinema and gaming'. Sure, just like how Luigi's Mansion blurred the lines between 'reality and not reality'. If these lines are so blurred how can I still tell the different between a game and film? If anything Metal Gear Solid added in depth story telling, not blurred a line that is....unblurrable.

Posted by ZEN

Quoting Bebop: If these lines are so blurred how can I still tell the different between a game and film?

I put "blurred the lines" not "removed the lines".

Referring to the cinematic storytelling aspect. Not entirely the two mediums themselves.
K?

Posted by Arcadios

For me it would be
Super Mario Bros.-It got the world back into gaming after the videogame crash of 1983.
Super Mario 64-It helped the world go from 2-D to 3-D

Posted by Burrito

Quoting Unite: Twisted Metal - Pretty much the birth of car combat genre

Spy Hunter?

Posted by adamhalo

Super Mario Bros/Super Mario 64 would be correct

http://freewebs.com/grandeurgames