PS3 will be region-free

Posted by Klarth

http://www.engadget.com/2006/03/23/playstation-3-to-ship-region-free/

Cool. Now importing will be a walk in the park.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Makes sense to me. This is indeed a very welcome change

Posted by boomstick

Quoting Vampiro: Makes sense to me. This is indeed a very welcome change

Very much agreed

Posted by Big Boss

I was never willing to import games for the simple fact that I didn't want to install a mod chip in any of my consoles, but I can see that changing with this announcement.

Posted by Unite

nice

Posted by Grom

Hurray!!!

Posted by NightmareBassX

Although i won't be getting a PS3 (Maybe far into the future of its launch), I do find it nice to see something pretty cool coming to the PS3. Freeloader can get annoying after doing it for 5 times, and the mod chip is probably only for people who know what they are doing. If only the revolution had this... But I probably won't be importing many games anyway.

Posted by Shade

When I first read the title, I thought it meant that PS3 owners could play online for free in their region (U.S, Brittain, etc.)

I am disappointed.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

That's...wishful.

This is excellent news. I don't see myself importing much, but it's always nice to have the option.

Posted by Speedfreak

I had a FreeLoader for GC, I only ever imported one game because Europe got it 2 years too late: Animal Crossing.

I'm not really bothered, especially since this doesn't ensure TV compatibility. Importing for consoles isn't as cool as importing or buying games in another country for handhelds.

Quoted post: Importing for consoles isn't as cool as importing or buying games in another country for handhelds.

Seems that way. I've really seen no console games I'd like to import, yet I've imported three DS games so far. Though, that could be attributed to the fact that now that I'm able to import I'm paying more attention to what's happening overseas.

Posted by Ant

In portalable gaming you normally don't have to worry about what is being said among characters. BECAUSE most portable games don't depend a heavy story telling, mostly gameplay.

Quoted post: In portalable gaming you normally don't have to worry about what is being said among characters. BECAUSE most portable games don't depend a heavy story telling, mostly gameplay.

Not quite true. The three games I've imported are quite heavy on the text side (Mostly instructions and semi-meaningless dialogue). But, that's what the internet it for.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Ant]In portalable gaming you normally don't have to worry about what is being said among characters. BECAUSE most portable games don't depend a heavy story telling, mostly gameplay.

Portable games right now are about as complex as SNES and some N64 games. People weren't too hot on importing those at the time either.

Posted by gamerz

Finally, no more bloody mod chips! :bounce:

Posted by basterd

I thought someone would make a post about it, the price of the PS3 in europe has been released. but I don't think it's going to be as much as they said. [url]www.slashdot.com/[/url] .

Posted by Prince Shondronai

I believe I'll voice my opinion in the style of the late, great Douglas Adams: Since any number divided by infinity is as next to naught as makes no odds, the appeal of sony's ps3 still rests firmly at Zero for me.

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Prince Shondronai: I believe I'll voice my opinion in the style of the late, great Douglas Adams: Since any number divided by infinity is as next to naught as makes no odds, the appeal of sony's ps3 still rests firmly at Zero for me.

That was clever and it had Douglas Adams in it. Your post makes me smile.

Posted by loony636

Well the PSP wasn't region-free, so I laughed my head off when a group of boys on the America-Tour bought 5 of them (and then brought them back to Australia, only to find that they wouldn't work with the games here). But it makes little difference to me, since I wont be getting one. So sucks to you that have to pay and extra $20 for your games.

I really wished that the Revolution would be region-free, since Gamecube games are cheaper in the US than they are over here, perhaps the Revolution games would follow suit? Well I guess I could live with it.

Posted by Speedfreak

...just get a Freeloader if you want to import GC games. They work in any console and will play any console's games, and it's just a disc that you put in before the game.

Posted by NightmareBassX

Quoting Speedfreak: ...just get a Freeloader if you want to import GC games. They work in any console and will play any console's games, and it's just a disc that you put in before the game.

Pretty much like the old PS1 Gameshark. Its quite tedious at first, but I suppose you get used to it, Like I did.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=NightmareBassX]Pretty much like the old PS1 Gameshark. Its quite tedious at first, but I suppose you get used to it, Like I did.

It really isn't. You put the disc in your cube, pick a region, swap the disc and you're off. That's it.

Posted by Fate

There are so many Japanese games that I thought were so awesome and that I just had to have them. Now my dreams can come true.

Hello, curiosity. You ain't killing my cat.

Posted by Klarth

[quote=loony636]Well the PSP wasn't region-free, so I laughed my head off when a group of boys on the America-Tour bought 5 of them (and then brought them back to Australia, only to find that they wouldn't work with the games here).
Um, yes it is. What the hell are you talking about? Sorry, sir, but that's total bull****. PSP games aren't region-coded in any way at all.

Posted by Winky

all this means is when ps3 comes out in japan , rich people in the us will buy them for like a grand off ebay.

Has this been confirmed yet by Sony? thats a huge change if they do so.... plus itll mean I can play all those must-have japanese ps2 games I've missed so much... Do you think this also means more stuff from japan will be converted for US folk?

Posted by TendoAddict

Even though I mad at sony right now I do think this is a great idea.

Now if only nintendo could do this.