Zelda DS, baby

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

http://revolution.ign.com/articles/697/697882p1.html?reload=true

Iwata revealed a cel-shaded, portable adventure in his GDC keynote today - developed by Aonuma and the blokes behind WW, it's supposed to launch late 2006.

EDIT: Iwata also revealed for the first time that a new game called The Legend of Zelda(R): Phantom Hourglass would be released for Nintendo DS later this year.
From the press release, released during the conference.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Yes! :D

And it doesn't sound like a ****ty FS game. This should be quite awesome, i think.

Well, we knew it was coming. But I, for one, did not expect 3D.

EDIT: http://www.nintendo-europe.com/NOE/en/GB/news/article.do?elementId=5JIzKiVx5r0Gu_uNPnTPRZMbliXeeJM1 Video!

Sailing ftw!

Oh and: http://ds.ign.com/articles/697/697930p1.html

Impressions, screens, and same video.

Posted by Zeta

[url=http://dsmedia.ign.com/ds/image/article/697/697930/the-legend-of-zelda-phantom-hourglass-20060323004633212.jpg]OH SHI- Fairy partner!?[/url]

Posted by VirtualRealityZone

Man, this is the first time I saw anything on this game. It looks absolutely great.

Posted by Klarth

Time to get a DStime to get a DStime to get a DStime to get a DStime to get a DS

I loved Wind Waker's graphics - This is gonna kick assssss.

Posted by IHatePowerSaws

Ya, i just noticed that there is a fairy too.

Posted by maian

Wow, this will own. I expected Zelda DS, but NEVER a 3D adventure. However, it looks like it plays mostly by the 2D style, but there are moments where the gameplay is like Wind Waker.

Can't wait.

Posted by Shade

Reminds me of Wind Waker.

D*mn, is some of the (other)RPG's finally make an appearance, this'll be a f*cking good year for the DS.

Posted by Ant

Hmm, a sequel to Wind Waker probably. Looks amazing. Can't wait.

Posted by Mystic Hero

Heh so far what i have seen of it looks better than that of WW. I'm hopign it will giv eme more of a challenge this time around.

Posted by Linko_16

The fairy partner looks pretty cool... instead of a plot device that was supposed to be how you targetted enemies and knew about monsters, it's curious how she stays several steps ahead of you. I wonder what she does?

Either way, it looks incredibly awesome.

The fairy appears to be just as annoying as Navi. If I heard correctly, there was a lot of "HEY LISTEN!" type stuff in the game. Not good.

Posted by Zeta

Quoting Linko_16: I wonder what she does?

Three choices

a. "HEY! LOOK! LISTEN! HEY! WATCH OUT! LISTEN! HEY! HEY!
b. *Bell ringing*
c. Something completely new.

My money's on 'a'.

Posted by maian

I don't see why everyone is so annoyed by the fairies. Honestly, they didn't really annoy me that much. o_o

Posted by Zeta

Tatl didn't annoy me, and Navi didn't **** me off as much as she does other people.

Quoted post: I don't see why everyone is so annoyed by the fairies. Honestly, they didn't really annoy me that much. o_o

I prefer being able to look around for an hour or so without my fairy constantly reminding me what I SHOULD be doing. But you're right, she wasn't that annoying. But still.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

I kinda liked Navi, actually. Annoying reminders, but nothing I couldn't look past.

This looks amazing. Definitely a game I'll be picking up as soon as it's released.

Posted by Linko_16

Quoting Zeta: Three choices

a. "HEY! LOOK! LISTEN! HEY! WATCH OUT! LISTEN! HEY! HEY!
b. *Bell ringing*
c. Something completely new.

My money's on 'a'.

You know what I mean. Her function in the gameplay.

I don't see what people complain about, either. They're not that bad.

Posted by Ant

I personally had many sleepless nights thinking about that sweet fair body...mmm...

Does anyone else think it looks a bit slow? Taking out the stylus every time you want to sail anywhere or throw your boomerang seems a bit tedious.

Posted by Sk2k52

Quoting Wings: Does anyone else think it looks a bit slow? Taking out the stylus every time you want to sail anywhere or throw your boomerang seems a bit tedious.

I usually hold the back tip of the stylus in my mouth when playing DS games that requires it only situationally.

On Navi, she never annoyed me and i kinda liked having the bugger around.

Quoted post: I kinda liked Navi, actually. Annoying reminders, but nothing I couldn't look past.

Yeah, I DO like have a fairy in the game. Not too sure why, but it's a nice mechanic that blends pretty well with the world.

Quoted post:
Does anyone else think it looks a bit slow? Taking out the stylus every time you want to sail anywhere or throw your boomerang seems a bit tedious.

No. If I know I have to use a stylus, I usually keep it in my hand while I use the regular buttons. Not difficult at all.

Yeah, but it seems unnecessary. It's be much easier to trigger a first=person mode and do it a la Wind Waker.

Quoted post: Yeah, but it seems unnecessary. It's be much easier to trigger a first=person mode and do it a la Wind Waker.

Not with a D-Pad it wouldn't. Plus, it's a Nintendo IP on the DS, it has to use the DS' features. And I think they chose a good path. We've had to do things like this in the past, and it's quick, easy and fun. I just don't see the problem.

I guess I'll have to wait and see.

Posted by Ex-Linkman

Yay! I'm am so relieved at the fact that it's not a Four Swords game like rumors had suggested. The 3D graphics are a nice surprise too. From what the trailer shows (Link sailing around in a boat and fighting giant squid monsters), this might be a sequel to Wind Waker. Maybe not, well either way, I can't wait.

As for the on and off stylus use, that doesn't bother me one bit. I've already gotten use to holding the stylus under the DS with my pinky, ring, and middle fingers when not using it.

Posted by Zeta

With the sailing stuff I hope there's less space between each island, or at least more to do on an island. I thought it was pretty stupid that the only purpose of some islands was to get a Heart Piece or something.

Quoted post: With the sailing stuff I hope there's less space between each island, or at least more to do on an island. I thought it was pretty stupid that the only purpose of some islands was to get a Heart Piece or something.

Guaranteed. The DS cart can't hold that much.

Quoted post: Maybe not, well either way, I can't wait.

I hope so. I really liked WW, and I believe Miyamoto mentioned something about a sequel (how he would like to see one). So this is might be it.

Posted by Ex-Linkman

Quoting Vampiro: I hope so. I really liked WW, and I believe Miyamoto mentioned something about a sequel (how he would like to see one). So this is might be it.

So did I. I still replay it from time to time, and it never loses it's appeal. A sequel would be great. For a while, I was expecting Minish Cap to be the WW sequel Miyamoto was talking about, but it turned out to be a Four Swords prequel. I was disappointed. :(

Posted by Shade

Still, Minish Cap kicked *ss.

Quite true. Minish Cap was excellent, though, wasn't it "the first" Zelda game, rather than just a FS prequel?

Posted by Linko_16

Quoting Wings: Does anyone else think it looks a bit slow? Taking out the stylus every time you want to sail anywhere or throw your boomerang seems a bit tedious.

I'm sure you only really have to stop for stylus use during puzzles. I imagine the boomerang would have the classic control anytime it wasn't necessary for throwing it a specific path.

As for setting a route on the sea, I think it's a brilliant idea. I liked the size of the Great Sea in WW, and the only thing all that bad about it was having to pay attention to an uneventful screen for the time it took you to sale from place to place, making sure you stay on course and such. It'd be easier to veg out for a bit while the game does the work.

Quoting Vampiro: Guaranteed. The DS cart can't hold that much.

It doesn't have to. All it has to do is hold one square of sea and repeat it x amount of times. Think how the stairs at the top of the castle in Mario 64 are done when you don't have enough Stars. All you need is a simple loop, which takes up almost no space at all.

However, you're right - it probably won't be done that way. Nintendo have heard all the complaints about the sea in Wind Waker, it seems.

Quoted post: It doesn't have to. All it has to do is hold one square of sea and repeat it x amount of times. Think how the stairs at the top of the castle in Mario 64 are done when you don't have enough Stars. All you need is a simple loop, which takes up almost no space at all.

Wouldn't it be a little odd if you felt like you were travelling for ten minutes, only to turn around and see you're about half a mile away from where you left?

Hah, I see where you're coming from, but it's very easy to program it so that it does it the other way too, smartass. you just have a loop counter that keeps track of where you 'are' in the world, and when it reaches certain numbers, certain things happen.

Posted by Sk2k52

I wonder though what this Phantom hourglass is... maybe there will also be time travel involved (to amuch smaller scale compard to oot) or another realm or something? o.o

Side note: I was wondering where Wind Waker 2 went after twilight princess was announced, this obviously the answer :D

Posted by Zeta

I must be one of the few people that enjoys the Four Sword games. :(

Posted by Linko_16

Didn't have three friends, couldn't play it.

Quoted post: Didn't have three friends, couldn't play it.

Yeah, I tried to get three people together but they all thought it was stupid when we could just play SSBM instead. Which was the main problem with the game. You HAD to have three people. Sure you could play by yourself, or with just one person, but you didn't get the same experience. Those types of games just don't appeal to someone like me.

Posted by Sk2k52

Quoting Linko_16: Didn't have three friends, couldn't play it.

Same here :( Still bought the game thoguh for alink to the past, ah, that game brought back fond memories. I remember I used to actually get scared when I went to the other realms lost woods xD