Older RPGs

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

I know, I know, I'm going to play Terranigma soon, Xenos, but what other games do you guys suggest? I've heard mention of Earthbound, which I'll also check out, but what else is decent?

Posted by Ant

Final Fantasy IV&VI(2and3 in NA) are also classic titles that should be played.

As for Earthbound, I personally loved it. It was one of my first RPG's and is still, to this day, of my personal favorites due to the unorthadox story and many other elements. But for some reason most people find it hard to like Earthbound due to the somewhat colorful grahphics thus making it a "kiddy title" which I wouldn't go as far to say it isn't, but it's not meant just for kids, the gameplay of the game itself is enough to prove that :p

In any case, those are the only ones that come to mind.

Posted by Klarth

Tales of Phantasia, Seiken Densetsu III, Xenogears, Illusion of Gaia, Front Mission, Front Mission: Gun Hazard, Xenogears, Treasure Hunter G, Tales of Phantasia, Terranigma, Xenogears, Final Fantasy IV, Final Fantasy V, Final Fantasy VI, Tales of Phantasia.

:)

Never heard of Treasure Hunter G, but I see it's by Square and the battle system is apparently similar to FFT's!

And I'm guessing playing Seiken Densetsu III before Secret of Mana won't leave me utterly confused?

Posted by Lord of Spam

An old school RPG thread and nobody mentioned 2nd edition AD&D?

For shame.

Posted by Klarth

[quote=Angelwing]
And I'm guessing playing Seiken Densetsu III before Secret of Mana won't leave me utterly confused?
It's pretty much in the vain of FF. None of the Seiken Densetsu / ____ of Mana games are related.

Great. I'll get on to looking some of these up, thanks.