Sony confirms PS3 controller redesign

Posted by Klarth

http://www.engadget.com/2006/03/22/sony-confirms-ps3-controller-redesign/

First things first: NOT THE SPHERE PICTURED IN THE ARTICLE.

Secondly: Thank ***.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Why'd the even use that picture? Anywho, who didn't know this would happen? NO ONE liked the original design, and Sony had all ready said it wasn't final. Thank *** they were smart enough to completely scrap it.

Posted by Klarth

I thought they'd previously confirmed that there wouldn't be a redesign?

eh, all I remember them saying was that it was a prototype. In other words, if people hate it, plan to see something different.

Posted by maian

I honestly don't see what's bad about the old one. Sure, it looks madly retarded, but chances are, the grips are more comfortable then PS2's. Anyway, they can only make it better. And maybe they won't make a controller that's not exactly like PS2's.

Posted by JonMB

That's a shame. Now I'll have to buy a seperate boomerang to play with instead of having it all in one. That is a ****ing shame, indeed.

Posted by Demonblade

eh...it didnt look all that horrible to me. Couldnt be much worse than the original xbox controller, or better yet the gamecubes.

Posted by Moogs

I like the Gamecube and Original XBox helps people with big hands, but I'm glad there doing a rechange given the chance I get a PS3.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=maian]I honestly don't see what's bad about the old one. Sure, it looks madly retarded, but chances are, the grips are more comfortable then PS2's. Anyway, they can only make it better. And maybe they won't make a controller that's not exactly like PS2's.

Yeah, I was never really that bothered by the looks, other than is looking really quite tacky. The only thing that bothered me was the size. That shape of controller can be extremely comfortable if it's the right size, but if it's too small it can be hand-mangling. I hope they don't go back to using the DualShock 2, though. That thing always had crappy handles.

Posted by HfsJunky

They shouldn't redesign the controller. The original control is so perfect and comfy, why would they want to change it?

Quoted post: They shouldn't redesign the controller. The original control is so perfect and comfy, why would they want to change it?

Pretty sure it has to do with the lawsuit.

Posted by Shade

Yeah, that might have some effect on it.

I was okay with the banana, but I'm happy they're remodeling it. I'm just praying they don't make it EVEN MORE retarded.

Posted by muffla

i dno i think that the sphere is kinda kool

dnt hate me

Posted by Shade

*hate*

Seriously, that thing looks IMPOSSIBLE to play with.

Quoted post: Seriously, that thing looks IMPOSSIBLE to play with.

The boomerang? No it doesn't. Maybe uncomfortable, but definitely not impossible

Posted by Shade

Nooooo, the sphere.

That's just a sketch. And if you read the post and the article, it's not actually real.

Posted by Shade

I know. I'm just saying it would be impossible to play with, as one poster above me said he liked it.

Posted by NightmareBassX

I never really had anything wrong with the first design either. I thought it was just nice to rip on its look, since fanboys of Sony look at them as flawless. Also to hint that it would appeal to women gaming more then the others would. =D

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

Good. And I do hope they make it similar to the Dualshock 2, or something equally comfortable.

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting Vampiro: Pretty sure it has to do with the lawsuit.

Which is silly, as the lawsuit pertains to two patents about the use of vibrating motors for force feedback. The look of the Dual Shock has nothing to do with the lawsuit, so I wonder why Sony felt they had to change their outer design of the PS3 controller in the first place. The boomerang is even smaller than the Dual Shock, which implies that whatever new rumble technology they're using shouldn't pose a problem to implement in the existing Dual Shock design.

Oh well, this is all still speculation.

Quoted post: Which is silly, as the lawsuit pertains to two patents about the use of vibrating motors for force feedback. The look of the Dual Shock has nothing to do with the lawsuit, so I wonder why Sony felt they had to change their outer design of the PS3 controller in the first place.

That's what I thought, but it's really the only thing (that I know of) that makes sense. The Dual Shock seems to be the most popular and most praised controller over the past ten-fifteen years, so I can't see any reason why, barring a lawsuit, they'd want to change such a successful design.