Rumour: Revo's new name revealed tomorrow?

Posted by Klarth

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/03/21/rumor-revolution-to-be-renamed-this-thursday/

Wonder what they've come up with if it's true.

Posted by Linko_16

I admit I always thought it was a weird name for a system, even if it was supposed to be innovative.

Posted by Drewboy64

Thursdayton!

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Drewboy64 again.

However, GDC is the perfect time to do it, given that it'd stir up excitement for the E3 demonstrations.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Sounds like E3 news to me! All we'll probably hear about it the changes they've (supposedly) made to the controller, and some exampnsion on why it will SAVE TEH GAMING UNIVERSE FROM TOTAL DESTRUCTION!!!!!!

No changes to the controller. It was on display at the GDC today, and it's unchanged - except possibly a longer cord between the stick and the Freehand itself.

Quoted post: No changes to the controller. It was on display at the GDC today, and it's unchanged - except possibly a longer cord between the stick and the Freehand itself.

Quoted post: Interestingly enough, one of the reps made note that a few changes have been made to the controller. While he didn't comment if those changes would be seen in tomorrow's keynote, we can only assume the most up-to-date version would be used in such an event.

Eh. Either way, I just don't see anything of interest being revealed this soon before E3.

Posted by Klarth

http://revolution.qj.net/New-Nintendo-Revolution-Images-from-GDC-2006/pg/49/aid/11937#comments

New photos.

http://revolution.ign.com/articles/697/697733p1.html

More photos than you'll ever want to look at.

Posted by Klarth

...Hang on, they HAVE changed the controller! a and b are now labelled X and Y.

Alright, not a huge change, but still. Makes it less confusing than a/b/A/B.

Quoted post: a and b are now labelled X and Y.

Still a, b. They're just on the (your) left. I assume for S/NES. So it's still A, B, a, b.

Posted by Klarth

Aha, but that's not what they're primarily called anymore...!

Victory please.

True. But it's still there, and the X/Y buttons become a/b once you turn it on its side.

I've seen images before where the buttons have been both X and Y and a and b. This is not a change.

Posted by Klarth

http://revolution.qj.net/Revolution-to-be-called-Nintendo-Go-/pg/49/aid/12153#comments

Either gonna be the console's name or the online service's name... But "go" is Japanese for five, and the Revo was originally the N5, so...

Not a chance that's the name. And Iwata all ready said his speech...

Posted by Klarth

http://www.engadget.com/2006/03/23/nintendo-revolution-nintendo-go/

Another article, another image...

Posted by nich

I don't know how I feel about Nintendo Go. It definately doesn't sound good on its own, but together it's kinda catchy.

It's horrible.

Posted by Moogs

I'll find someway to get "GO" logo out of mine... and why? Why must they ruin a console's name? Revolution is plenty better than Nintendo Go, sounds more like a handheld devices name...

Posted by maian

..Interesting. If that is indeed the case, the logo looks similar to N64's. It's just..not an N. Eh, it's not that bad, but I like Revolution more. Actually, I've liked Revolution since day one. ;_;

Posted by muffla

nintendo go sux period

notiece they have stuck the to cube in their trade mark ever since the n64 (refering to the last link with the pluses forming a cube)

Posted by Linko_16

"Nintendo Go!" sounds very Engrish, since it's probably based on the motion sensor.

Posted by Zeta

I'd actually prefer it to stay Revolution.

Posted by Demonblade

*** that name "Nintendo Go" is ****ing retarded. Why dont those bastards slap a big sticker of a ****in pikachu on it, and strap a little cannon on the side that you can aim with the controller that shoots little poke balls...because thats all that lame *** name says to me. What a ****ing stupid *** name for a system, i hope they name it that so i can just point and laugh endlessly.

Why dont they just stick with revolution...out of all three of the next gens, thats the name i liked the best anyways.

Posted by Hyper

"Playstation 3" - completely original and unexpected!
"Xbox 360" - they're right back where they started.
"Nintendo Go" - lame, I admit
"Nintendo Revolution" - not bad

Posted by Ant

Maybe it stands for Nintendo "Got Owned"! HAHAHA.

But seriously, I hope that isn't going to be the name of it. I really don't think NOA would support such a silly name.

Everything I've ever seen about 'Go' seems to state it as a rumour. And if not, it's most likely just the download service/virtual console, not the actual system name.

Quoted post: I really don't think NOA would support such a silly name.

Purple, and GameCube.

Quoted post:
And if not, it's most likely just the download service/virtual console, not the actual system name.

Pretty horrible name for a download service. The problem is, it just doesn't fit the shell of the system. You have this sleek, mature looking console, then a name like Nintendo Go? Ugh.

It fits the download service better than the actual console.

It doesn't fit anything.

Posted by sniper

Nintendo says it is not Go... thank ***.

Posted by nich

Source?

Posted by sniper

http://revolution.ign.com/articles/698/698059p3.html

Nevermind, I heard wrong. Not denied, just not acknowledged.

Posted by Speedfreak

The only reason everyone loves Revolution is because we've had 2 fucking years to get used to it. People are used to Xbox and Gamecube now, but they were generally hated names when people first heard them. Of all the new names for Nintendo systems I've heard, "Go" is the most immediately appealing to me. Don't even get me started on PlayStation, if that doesn't sound like some form of baby mat with dangly rattles I don't know what does.

The logo makes a hell of a lot of sense. Those crosses represent D-pads, which are a symbol of gaming input devices. The arrangement of the crosses is along every axis. Thus, the logo stands for 3D control. It's a lot better than a bunch of meaningless concentric circles, or PS3s completely nonexistant logo.

You people are incapable of any forward thinking, to be frank.

Posted by Ant

No, it sucks.

Posted by Dog

nintendo go? baaaAAaahh!!! thats a horrible name!

Posted by nich

your font is tiny.

I do agree with many of Speedy's points, but the names STILL sucks. Even if it is the most appealing, there's better choices.

Posted by Demonblade

unfortunately im going to still have to side with shdig and say 'go=gay'. I dont care how much i hated the the name xbox or the idea of "Gamecube" with its gay *** little handle because everyone knows that a console needs a means of carrying it because we are all certainly very mobile individuals while gaming. [/sarcasm]

Set aside from nintendos last little 'lunchbox' console, how can they honestly consider 'Nintendo Go' as an acceptable console name. I understand that pokemon is like the one of the few things that kept this company alive for years, but do they honestly need to pay tribute to Ash and friends by naming its next console something so retarded?

Posted by Crazy K

I trully hope that Nintendo does not make the rev name to "go" that just sounds stupid.

Posted by Demonblade

like i said before, i truly hope they do. Not that im a playstation whore, or a xbox lunatic...but i would love to be able to forever point and laugh in the faces of all nintendo worshippers about how there beloved company named one of their consoles something so retarded...that never will it be able to be trumped.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

Well, while you're pointing and laughing, we'll be pointing and playing. Who will be happier?

Quoted post: like i said before, i truly hope they do. Not that im a playstation whore, or a xbox lunatic...but i would love to be able to forever point and laugh in the faces of all nintendo worshippers about how there beloved company named one of their consoles something so retarded...that never will it be able to be trumped.

... that's pretty dumb. Especially when Playstation and Xbox are just as bad, really. =/

Posted by Moogs

I like XBox, I like Playstation.

Terrible names, though.

Posted by Demonblade

Quoting Vampiro: ... that's pretty dumb. Especially when Playstation and Xbox are just as bad, really. =/

I dont agree. While dumb, they are bearable. But nintendo go...thats just plain rediculous. I dont see myself ever growing accustomed to that.

And Prince Shondronai, i will be happier...for reasons id rather not state because id just end up having to defend myslef for the next 4 or 5 posts, but believe me, i will be much happier.

I will be just as brief then: You are wrong.

Posted by Hyper

Quoting Demonblade: but i would love to be able to forever point and laugh in the faces of all nintendo worshippers about how there beloved company named one of their consoles something so retarded...that never will it be able to be trumped.

"Go" > "Gamecube," though it's still pretty poor.

Quoting Prince Shondronai: Well, while you're pointing and laughing, we'll be pointing and playing. Who will be happier?

Win.

And for the record, I found the handle immensely useful when I was carting my GameCube around. It was small enough to bring to school, for example, and paly in free periods, and it meant that I could have a couple of games and controllers, along with the cables, in my hands and still just hook the Cube onto my middle finger, and carry it from one room to the next without having to make two trips - something that you do have to do with the PS2, for example.

The think that gets me about Go is that Nintendo have always chosen names that describe their system, almost literally. Revolution fits this description - Go - it's a lot more abstract, and to me it doesn't seem to fit.

And yeah, Revolution did seem an awful name at first. But you can't tell me that you've had Nintendo execs sitting around a table for years and finally decided on that?

Posted by maian

Well, before we bash on Go, and point out how glorious the other console names are, let's just think about it.

Playstation? Aside from the dingly rattle thing that Speedy acknowledged, when I first heard "Playstation", I honestly thought it was a child's plaything. I believe I pictured one of those foam basketball hoop station things, where you shoot the ball, and it rolls back to you. But, now that it's been around for 10 years, "Playstation" is widely known as a technological device that adults play everywhere.

XBox? There's not much to say. X. Box. Calling a console a box doesn't really seem good, and, well, where did they get the idea for an "X" box? It's completely ridiculous.

Gamecube is retarded too.

My point is, the acknowledged name sucks, but compared to other systems, it's not bad either. Give it a year or two, and everyone will be completely used to it.

Quoted post: and everyone will be completely used to it.

Yeah, we'll get used it, but so? I'm sorry, but Go is an awful name. There's no if ands or buts about it. They can think of something better.

Posted by Speedfreak

Awful? Maybe. Worse than "Xbox 360"? Not a chance in hell.

Posted by nich

I still think you can't say it on its own, but otherwise isn't terrible.

"what system do you have?"
"Go."

When said with Nintendo in front, it doesnt sound so bad. They go together well actually.

Quoted post: Awful? Maybe. Worse than "Xbox 360"? Not a chance in hell.

"Xbox 360" or even just "Xbox" is pretty terrible, but nowhere near as bad as Go. Just my opinion.

Judge rules: nobody is ever satisfied! Now let's all go home and have a big lunch.

Posted by Demonblade

Yeah, how are you supposed to shorten that?

Playstation 1-3 = PS (1-3)
Xbox and 360 = short enough

but Nintendo Go?....what are you going to say "GO"?...doubt it...and "N-GO" is even worse...i see no way of shortening it.

Of course, this is all my opinion...and on the slight chance that they might make some games that im interested in...i might play it, but most likely never buy it.

Quoted post: but Nintendo Go?....what are you going to say "GO"?...doubt it...and "N-GO" is even worse...i see no way of shortening it.

NGO? Same as PS3, GC and XB/360.

Posted by Demonblade

Quoting Vampiro: NGO? Same as PS3, GC and XB/360.

Yes, i know...for typing purposes...but im talking about speech.

NGO? Same as SNES and NES.

Posted by Dexter

I think they could have come up with something more creative and appealing than "GO."

Nintendo Go System = NGS.

Posted by nich

Or you could say NGo, as in "enn-go"

Posted by Demonblade

Quoting nich: Or you could say NGo, as in "enn-go"

thats precisely what im getting at. Just saying it sounds dumb.

Posted by nich

agreed.

Or you could just call it 'Go'. It's short enough already, you tits.

Except we're thinking of ways that doesn't make it sound stupid.

"OH MAN, I LOVE GO!"

Posted by Demonblade

Quoting Vampiro: Except we're thinking of ways that doesn't make it sound stupid.

"OH MAN, I LOVE GO!"

sadly i just dont think it's possible.

Posted by NightmareBassX

Quoting Demonblade: Yeah, how are you supposed to shorten that?

Playstation 1-3 = PS (1-3)
Xbox and 360 = short enough

but Nintendo Go?....what are you going to say "GO"?...doubt it...and "N-GO" is even worse...i see no way of shortening it.

Of course, this is all my opinion...and on the slight chance that they might make some games that im interested in...i might play it, but most likely never buy it.

Oh? So you won't buy a, most likely great, system because of its name? The only ones who will be pointing and laughing will be us, not you.

And if I think about it, Nintendo Go sounds exactly like something Nintendo would go with. It just didn't seem to suprise me. Also, I don't think NGS or NGO sound too bad, In speech. Just like PS1-3, but we have been hearing PS1-3 for so long, that comparing it with something completely new, just makes NGO (or NGS as Dexter pointed out) sound stupid.

Posted by Demonblade

No, i wont be buying it because it likely wont have many games that appeal to me. Im not willing to waste hundereds of dollars on a system that has 5 games that i might want to play. Its name has nothing to do with wether or not im going to buy it...i just think it's name horrendously lame. To tell you the truth, i never had any intentions of buying it when it was supposed to be called the revolution...which i think is the best name out of all three of them.

Oh, and i dont know about everyone else...saying "Pee-ess-three" or "Ex-Box" or "three-sixty" never sounded stupid to me...but "enn-go" sure as hell does.

Posted by NightmareBassX

Quoting Demonblade: No, i wont be buying it because it likely wont have many games that appeal to me. Im not willing to waste hundereds of dollars on a system that has 5 games that i might want to play. Its name has nothing to do with wether or not im going to buy it...i just think it's name horrendously lame. To tell you the truth, i never had any intentions of buying it when it was supposed to be called the revolution...which i think is the best name out of all three of them.

Hundreds of dollars? I was under the impression Rev (Or GO) was going to be in the price range of $150-$200 dollars.

Also, in the long run... A systems name does not matter. When somebody rates something, they don't rate the name.

Graphics - 6/10
Gameplay - 7/10
Replay value - 5/10
Name - Priceless

Posted by Demonblade

I disagree my friend, seeing as how this name has stirred up a bit of controversy in these little forums, imagine what the whole world might think. Im sure there will be many that like it, but many many more who dislike it.

Hundreds is the plurality of hundred...so 200 would be correct in saying hundreds...plus who knows what they'll charge...with the 360 being 400 and the PS3 likely being over 500...nintendo could easily sneak the "Go" (eww) in at 300.

They could, but they aren't going to. I've said it before - if the new Nintendo is more than $250 I will pay you the difference.

And people buy a system on the promises of only three games, what the hell? A lot of people bought the 360 because of maybe two launch titles.

Posted by saiyanknight

You guys do realise that this name was announced fake..

Posted by Demonblade

Quoting Wings: They could, but they aren't going to. I've said it before - if the new Nintendo is more than $250 I will pay you the difference.

And people buy a system on the promises of only three games, what the hell? A lot of people bought the 360 because of maybe two launch titles.

Im not talking about two or three launch games that i like...im talking about two or three games ever, just like the gamecube was for me.

Posted by Speedfreak

I bet I could find a hell of a lot more games than 3 for Gamecube based on games on other systems that you like that you'll end up refusing to try anyway.

Posted by Demonblade

id giggle like a little school girl if you could.

Posted by maian

Well, I'm glad you're willing to admit that. I suppose you're one of those people that just hate Nintendo for unknown reasons? You tell yourself that all their games suck, and even if you try a good one, it'll suck anyway because you have this retarded mindset in your head. I'm willing to try any XB/PS2 game. Stop being a baby.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Demonblade]id giggle like a little school girl if you could.

This would be the part where you tell me what games you like on other platforms.

It'd be useful to say why you like them too.

Posted by NightmareBassX

Quoting Demonblade: I disagree my friend, seeing as how this name has stirred up a bit of controversy in these little forums, imagine what the whole world might think. Im sure there will be many that like it, but many many more who dislike it.

Hundreds is the plurality of hundred...so 200 would be correct in saying hundreds...plus who knows what they'll charge...with the 360 being 400 and the PS3 likely being over 500...nintendo could easily sneak the "Go" (eww) in at 300.

True, there are alot of people who have been disagreeing with the name of it... But you are the only one who has hinted the name could affect its sales. When you play a game, you don't care about its name. I don't expect someone to say the reason they didn't buy the Revolution was because of its name. Also, when you said hundreds, it seemed like you were comparing it to the PS3 and the Xbox360's prices.

Posted by maian

Guys, I don't like Demonblade's name. It's pretty lame. Let's stop talking to him. Not because he's stupid, but because I don't like his name.

Quoted post:
Im not talking about two or three launch games that i like...im talking about two or three games ever, just like the gamecube was for me.

So you can see into the future? Neato.

Seriously though, I wouldn't prejudge anything quite yet, especially the Rev. Anything could happen with that thing.

Posted by nich

Quoting maian: Guys, I don't like Demonblade's name. It's pretty lame. Let's stop talking to him. Not because he's stupid, but because I don't like his name.

touch

Posted by NightmareBassX

Quoting maian: Guys, I don't like Demonblade's name. It's pretty lame. Let's stop talking to him. Not because he's stupid, but because I don't like his name.

Ahg, harsh... But who said harsh wasn't funny? =D

I would worry that sony and Microsoft would put that in their marketing campaigns. You know, a guy wearing a Nintendo shirt walks in and says something stupid at the end of one of their commercials and the sony or Microsoft guys just shake their heads at them and say "Nintendo...Go...Just go..." and point at the door.

Posted by Demonblade

Quoting Vampiro: So you can see into the future? Neato.

Seriously though, I wouldn't prejudge anything quite yet, especially the Rev. Anything could happen with that thing.

All im saying man is with nintendo's track record...there aren't too many nintendo exclusive games that i am dying to play that justifies buying any of thier systems in the past 5 years.

While i dont think it will help at all, i dont beleive i ever said that its name will negatively affect sales either. I just said that it is highly likely that i wont be buying one. Not because of the name...but because of the available software.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Demonblade]All im saying man is with nintendo's track record...there aren't too many nintendo exclusive games that i am dying to play that justifies buying any of thier systems in the past 5 years.

While i dont think it will help at all, i dont beleive i ever said that its name will negatively affect sales either. I just said that it is highly likely that i wont be buying one. Not because of the name...but because of the available software.

You going to answer my question or carry on being an ignorant asshat?