The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Impressions

Posted by Axis

Picked up the Collector's Edition of this game today at Gamestop. The box for game itself is huge. If you took two Xbox 360 game cases and put them together than that's how big it would be. The Collector's Edition comes with the game itself, a bonus DVD, a map to the empire, a collectors coin, and a 110 page guide to the empire. Haven't looked through the DVD or the 110 pg. guide for the game yet so I can suggest if you should buy the CE or not.

Now, for my impressions on the game itself.

The intro to the game is quite smooth, and it gives you just a taste about what you're going to experience. The fly over Imperial City is just jaw-dropping. I didn't expect the game to look this good in motion. Finally, the menu loads up and you begin you're quest. Before I go any further, I want to it make it clear that I have never played an Elder Scrolls game before, today was the first day I ever played one.

You start out with your character customization where you can choose from pretty much ANYTHING. I found this to be really impressive, and I've also read on other forums that this exceeds anything that they've experienced before. I wont ruin the first part of the game for you, so I'll be really simple about a few things. The gameplay I found really easy to get into, and was quite suprised that I didn't have a longer learning curve. The fighting that you do against rats and trolls in the beginning I had a some slight trouble with before I came against a body and acquired a shield. So, keep your eyes out for a shield as this will become very useful during your quest through the caves.

Many of you know that Oblivion is using the Havok physics engine. I can tell you it's one hell of an engine. Better than any other physics engine I've seen in any game. I shot an arrow into a bucket that was at a well and it pierced right through it. The bucket layed slightly down due to the arrows weight holding it down. Then once I took the arrow out of the bucket it went back into the place. Later in the caverns I was able to come across some logs that were stacked, so I punched them and down they went, crushing 2 trolls at the bottom. And no, they didn't go through them, they adjusted according when they ran over the bodies. The Havok physics engine is really something to see, didn't plan to be this suprised.

The graphics in Oblivion also went way beyond my expectations. I can tell every person here right now, the screenshots of this game do not do this game justice at all (Seems to be the case with all games, eh?). They're solid and there is almost no jaggies from what I can see. The only ones that I've been able to make out are on the trees that are way across the map. Speaking of which, the draw distance in the game is amazing, you can see from one hill all the way over to a mountain range, it's really a beauty to see.

Overall I'm rating this game a 9.8...so far. The only reason I counted off is that the combat seems to trip up in a few places, but rarely happens. It doesn't effect the gameplay that much, it just gets annoying when it does happen. If you guys have any questions about this game I'll be glad to answer. I only have about 30 minutes before I head to my friends house and I play this game some more. Tomorrow I'll be back with updated impressions, seeing as how I'll be around 10 hours in. I'm also sorry if there's some grammatical issues in this post, but I really don't have the time to revise it and edit it at the moment (Which I'll do so tomorrow morning if there's any).

Posted by boomstick

Pretty much what I expected, I plan to pick this up either whenever I get a 360 or on the PC

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Heh, I just bought it today. Though I havebn't even opened it yet. I'll probably wait until tomorrow morning and just go for a marathon. Great impressions though, it's good to know I got my money's worth, which I expected.

Posted by VirtualRealityZone

My friend thats working today at GameCrazy is holding it for me. So yeah I'll be playing it soon. [/I can't wait]

Posted by Dexter

It has been ordered and should arrive within a few days. Right in time for spring break, too. I'll probably be spending all next week enjoying this game.

I will certainly discuss the game once I get into it. I remember talking plenty about Morrowind on VGC.

Posted by Random

I have to grab mine tomorrow. I haven't actually gotten to play it yet. I had to work most of the day. Though my cousin says it's great so far.

Posted by Demonblade

****, im in such a dilemma. Either buy a 360 with my tax return or go skydiving with one of my really good friends...decisions decisions.

Man, i cant wait to play a few games, mainly GRAW and Oblivion.

360. Skydiving will only last a day or so, but the 360 will last a lifetime if you take care of it.

Plus, you can skydive IN THE GAMES!!!!! Assuming you get Battlefield that is...

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YEAH!

Posted by Demonblade

yeah, only problem is this girl is really looking forward to going skydiving. But, im really looking forward to not being bored out of my mind after i get off work each day...hmm, maybe ill just have to whip out the credit card.

Pff, **** her. Just pop GTA in and beat up some whores. Problem solved.

Posted by Demonblade

Quoting Vampiro: Pff, **** her. Just pop GTA in and beat up some whores. Problem solved.

i like your style... :)

Posted by Roger Smith

Quoting Vampiro: Pff, **** her. Just pop GTA in and beat up some whores. Problem solved.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Vampiro again.

Some other time eh Vamp?

Like I need your pitiful reputation.

but yeah, maybe sometime next week. Around 11:30 AM, Wednesday, perhaps

Posted by Roger Smith

Quoting Vampiro: Like I need your pitiful reputation.

but yeah, maybe sometime next week. Around 11:30 AM, Wednesday, perhaps

Most excellent. I shall not dissapoint.

You already have by misspelling "disappoint".

Posted by Roger Smith

Quoting Vampiro: You already have by misspelling "disappoint".

Just like how I always misspell awsome. And you know me, I rarely misspell.

Just something I do once in a while, my human must be showing again *******it:(

Posted by epeefolk

I have also ordered the game, and it will be here just in time for spring break, i will most likely lock myself in a closet and come out at the end of spring after playing it with a beard and bloodshot eyes.

Posted by Axis

I can tell you guys this, it's a VERY addicting game. I'm about 11 hours into the game and barely have gotten through the single player. The seige on the city of Kvatch alone took over an hour, it seems. So far this game has been worth every penny. Be sure that you guys join into some guilds, I've probably spent 6 hours on Guild quests alone. I'm pretty sure that I'll easily surpass 100 hours on this game when it's all said and done. I also suggest that you guys go out and buy the guide for the game, it's been very useful so far.

Posted by epeefolk

Say you shoot some bad guy in the head with an arrow, does that automatically kill him or does it only hurt him if he is strong.

Posted by Axis

It's a one hit kill. Helmet or not. Hit them in the chest, legs, etc. then it will take about 1-2 arrows.

Posted by Demonblade

Wow, i looked up some screenshots and they are pretty unreal. Kind of disappointed to hear that it isnt multiplayer though...oh well, i guess you dont really need it.

Posted by Axis

Quoting Demonblade: Wow, i looked up some screenshots and they are pretty unreal. Kind of disappointed to hear that it isnt multiplayer though...oh well, i guess you dont really need it.

Definitely wont need Multiplayer for this game. I've only done 2 things for the main quest so far and it's taken up a lot of time. If you join guilds, you'll add on tons of time. I've done about 10 hours worth of Guilds missions and not even close to finishing them completely. But yeah, this is become my favorite game not just on the 360, but any system.

Ugh, MP would be so terrible.

Anywho, still haven't played it yet, but it seems kind of annoying how enemies don't seem to react from sword hits and whatnot. Too bad.

Posted by Klarth

How's the music? Is it still orchestrated by Jeremy Soule? Does it measure up to Morrowind?

Posted by ZEN

I am greatly interested in 'Oblivion'. Judging from the [url=http://www.elderscrolls.com/downloads/media_movies.htm]videos[/url] the physics engine and "radiant A.I." look like the most sophisticated features.
Unfortunately I probably won't be playing it until next year.
I am currently playing 'The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind Game of the Year Edition' for XBOX, so I do have a good idea of what the series is all about.

I hope the "journal" is fixed in 'Oblivion'. With so many side quests and tasks going on at once, it's easy to lose track of your objectives. That was one of the worst features of 'Morrowind' along side the "dice-roll" combat and character interaction.

Quoting Vampiro: Anywho, still haven't played it yet, but it seems kind of annoying how enemies don't seem to react from sword hits and whatnot. Too bad.

The combat element is supposedly the most improved feature, so that would be dissapointing considering it is the same exact thing that plagued 'Morrowind's' combat engine.

Posted by Demonblade

yeah, i absolutely detested how enemies seemed entirely unphased by any attack until they die, while you fall to the ground like a little ***** if you run out of stamina.

Posted by Axis

Quoting Klarth: How's the music? Is it still orchestrated by Jeremy Soule? Does it measure up to Morrowind?

Can't really answer this question seeing as I haven't played Morrowind. I also tried looking into the direction book but it didn't have the credits section. Next time I load up Oblivion I'll sit through the credits and find out for you. The music in the game is great, not a lot of variety in it, but there's just enough so you don't get sick of it.

[quote=ZEN]I hope the "journal" is fixed in 'Oblivion'. With so many side quests and tasks going on at once, it's easy to lose track of your objectives. That was one of the worst features of 'Morrowind' along side the "dice-roll" combat and character interaction.
I know for a fact that journal is fixed. In Oblivion you can look at past quests you have completed along with ones that are currently assigned. With the ones that are currently assigned, it comes with a little bio of what you're to do, and once you select it a marker shows up on the map to show you exactly where to go. As for the dice, that's gone too. So you don't have to worry about that either.

[quote=Demonblade] yeah, i absolutely detested how enemies seemed entirely unphased by any attack until they die, while you fall to the ground like a little ***** if you run out of stamina.
For some reason I really don't see a huge problem with this. There's a bunch of blood when you attack them and on the final blow the fly in the direction that you hit them until they hit the ground.

As for an update I'm now about 18 1/2 hours into the game. I have completely finished the Fighter's Guild which took about 8-10 hours of the time I've played. Which is freaking awesome, considering that I was able to beat Kameo and Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighters whole campaign in that time. I'm not messing with the main quest right now, I've only shut the Oblivion gate in Kvatch and done this other thing, but it's a spoiler and don't want to give away the plot so I'll just be quiet about that. :) Overall this game stands at a 9.5...again, only problem is the combat is a little sluggish in areas, and the framerate studders in loading areas in the forests. It doesn't happen often, and it doesn't affect the gameplay significantly.

Quoted post: For some reason I really don't see a huge problem with this. There's a bunch of blood when you attack them and on the final blow the fly in the direction that you hit them until they hit the ground.

The problem is is that they put your in the character's shoes and try to convey a real sense of combat. Yet, the biggest part of combat is completely missing. It makes you feel as if you have no impact whatsoever. The only telling signs are blood and maybe a noise. Which, really, is ridiculous.

Posted by Demonblade

Quoting Vampiro: The problem is is that they put your in the character's shoes and try to convey a real sense of combat. Yet, the biggest part of combat is completely missing. It makes you feel as if you have no impact whatsoever. The only telling signs are blood and maybe a noise. Which, really, is ridiculous.

agreed, if the enemies you are so valiently trying to vanquish appear completely unfazed by any of your attacks, how are you supposed to get the feeling of real combat?

Posted by Axis

Meh. I can see your point. I dunno, for me I don't really care, yeah it would be nice but for me it's not a big problem.

Klarth, I was able to figure out who does the music. It's the same guy.

Posted by Klarth

[quote=Axis]
Klarth, I was able to figure out who does the music. It's the same guy.
Excellent. I hope someone puts it up for torrent soon. :D

Posted by ZEN

This may not be fair to say without actually playing the game first, but from watching the videos it appears that the enemies DO react a bit when hit during combat. It looks like they'll stumble, fall back a step or two, or parry after you connect with a heavy blow. Even if this doesn't seem like much it is still a lot more than what 'Morrowind' offered (which was no animation at all).

Quoted post: This may not be fair to say without actually playing the game first, but from watching the videos it appears that the enemies DO react a bit when hit during combat. It looks like they'll stumble, fall back a step or two, or parry after you connect with a heavy blow. Even if this doesn't seem like much it is still a lot more than what 'Morrowind' offered (which was no animation at all).

There's SOME interaction, but not much. And quite a few times NOTHING happens. You hear the sound and see some blood, but that's it. But you're right, they sometimes do stumble, but you don't get the feeling you actually connected with a weapon. You know you hit him, but you don't feel it. And I just find that really disappointing.

Don't get me wrong, the game is really great, I'm just nit-picking really. But still, it's kind of major when combat plays a big part in the game.

Posted by Axis

Yeah, when you get hit your character moves around and your controllers shakes along with the screen. For me it feels like being in a battle.

Posted by Axis

[COLOR="Red"]WARNING: PLEASE NOTE[/COLOR], the following is on a glitch that has been found in the game that I and many others have encountered. This glitch affects the quest of the Mages Guild significantly, as in, you won't be able to perform any Mages Guild quests, ever. The following does include a bit of a [COLOR="Red"]spoiler[/COLOR]. However, I think everyone should take note.

When you're performing the Cheydinhal Reccomendation quest, Falcar tells you that one of the fellow guild members lost a ring in the well. He tells you to go down and look for it. You may have to speak to Deetus before you go, as she will give you a spell called 'Buoyancy' so that you can breathe forever down in the well. Now, before you go into the well, drop almost every thing have (well, just mainly your weapons and shields). Make sure that you have 105 extra weight freed up (if you have 250, get down to 145). The ring itself weighs 105. Now, go down into the well and retrieve the ring and bring back up. You'll be able to finish the quest from there.

How is there a glitch? Well many people like myself went down into the well without dropping any of my stuff, so I dropped the ring to go back up out of the well and drop my stuff. When I went back in, the ring, body, and everything had disappeared. Making it impossible to retrieve the ring. Just follow the instructions I left above and you will be ok. I've talked with people at the Elder Scrolls forum about this and they confirm that there isn't a way 360 owners can fix it.

Posted by Roger Smith

Quoting Klarth: How's the music? Is it still orchestrated by Jeremy Soule? Does it measure up to Morrowind?

It is. I'm pretty sure it surpasses Morrowind.

Posted by Exalbaru

I was going to get it for PC but when I saw the ****in' $396.72 (including tax) graphics card I could just save about 100 dollars on the 360, game, and guide.

Not to mention the time I would be otherwise spending buying useless crap!--(smiley face)