A Post-America World

Posted by Hyper

Let's just hypothetically say that North Vietnam, China, Iran, etc... all succeed in wiping America off the face of the planet. How different would the world be? How bad would the economy suffer? Would the terrorists rise to a much higher power? Discuss.

Posted by mis0

Because terrorists primarily hate America for specific reasons (ie Afghanistan during the Soviet-Afghan war of the 80's) many of the groups would have lost the fundamental thing that allows them to exist, and thusly, they'd probably loose power. Who really wants a bunch of causeless militants leading them? Few. So, if America "ceased" to exist the primary focus of hatred would probably shift to Europe in general. But at the point where any of these countries wipes #3 off the face of the earth, I think that Europe would probably realize that in order to exist, they'd have to step up to the plate.

In essence, I don't think anything would change, but rather the conflict would simply involve different people. Then again it's pretty hard to gauge what affect to complete destruction off 350,000,000 people would have on the world, especially considering despite the negative image we have, we really do a whole lot for so many people.

Posted by Hyper

Basically, what I'm asking is what does China and other powers who are against the USA stand to gain by America's demise? More power, of course, but have they really thought out their strategy? "hey, we killed all the yanks, now what? partay! k, now we're all hungover, what the hell do we do next?"

Posted by Demonblade

Although we arent friends...china really isnt against us. In fact, it would be tougher for them to exist without us due to the sheer amount of trade between the two countries. But, what other countries stand to gain by wiping out america is getting america itself. Its unargueably the best peice of land this world has to offer, and is about 95% of the reason we are so powerful. The only thing that keeps us from being entirely self sufficient is fossile fuels. So whats to gain? Everything...with this chunk of land...even the worlds biggest retards can become a superpower.

Posted by Hyper

I can't imagine the whole of America as it is now staying in tact if another country took over. Large sections would be claimed by other countries, I'd assume =/

Posted by Demonblade

Quoting Hyper: I can't imagine the whole of America as it is now staying in tact if another country took over. Large sections would be claimed by other countries, I'd assume =/

i dont necessarily agree with that. If a country is strong enough to take over america...im pretty sure they would be strong enough to defend it. But who knows, maybe they would share...i sure as hell wouldnt though.

Posted by Hyper

Well, let's take China for example... America is a fairly large piece of land, just as China is. Do you really think they'd send half their army across the world to defend a new territory as big as America? Would it not be logical to sell off pieces of it and keep the best parts?

Posted by Demonblade

Quoting Hyper: Well, let's take China for example... America is a fairly large piece of land, just as China is. Do you really think they'd send half their army across the world to defend a new territory as big as America? Would it not be logical to sell off pieces of it and keep the best parts?

No, not really. You have to remember, this country is defended by a group of people equal to less than 1% of the total country's population. Were talking about a military of roughly 3 million people...more or less. Now china has about 3 times as many people than we do...so it wouldnt be too farfetched for them to be able to defend this country considering they have over a billion people to play with.

Also, other than our sparsley located deserts, there really isnt that much undesireable land to be had in the U.S. Plus you have to remember the fact that the chunks that china would theoretically want to keep would be surrounded by other nations owning chunks as well. What good would a plot of land be if it is surrounded by 5 or more potential enemies. Another main factor in the success of the U.S. is the fact that it has unrestricted access to both the pacific and atlantic ocean, plus it is neighbored by neutral allies. We have incapable mexico to the south, and indifferent, lethargic canada to the north.

There really would be no advantage of selling little unwanted chunks of a big peice of land. That my friend would be a foreign policy nightmare.

Posted by Hyper

Suppose so. But you have to consider this: The 1% of the population defending this nation currently hardly ever have to do anything on home turf. And if China indeed took over the U.S., those 1% would have obviously been overcome =/

Posted by Demonblade

this is true. However you must consider that, long before the united states would ever be taken over...we would have nuked the bejesus out of china. Im not saying that in a hoo-rah U.S. rocks fashion. Thats just the way it is. Its a sad thing to consider, when this country does come down...we will most likely take **** near everybody else with us.

Posted by maian

My prediction is that it would all begin with war. Resources are depleting. China is undergoing a massive industrial revolution, thus providing the Chinese with more cars and technology. These require oil. Oil is in the Middle East. All the countries hate Israel, but we baby and completely protect Israel. My guess is that countries would attack Israel for oil, (assuming we start to run out) and we would interfere. In exchange, countries would try to wipe us out, so they can invade Israel and/or the Middle East.

The result? WW3. If America were to be wiped out, it'd be chaos. American citizens might have to be relocated, or set under a whole new set of laws and rules. They might have to learn a new language. If China indeed split America into different territories, Europe would rush in, and claim new territories and areas for their own. The whole process would take years to do, and the greatest superpower on Earth would be wiped out. The new power would be communist China, with massive land amounts, and tons of resources at hand. Democracy would be gone, and order would once again be kept in European hands. My guess is that it would, in the end, result in several wars after WW3 is over. And once it's all over, the world would be completely different.

Oh, and nuclear weapons could be brought into this, which could completely change the outcome of the results. If by chance it did happen, could there be a chance that other countries develop nukes and start a nuclear war?

Sorry if this sounds completely idiotic to you, but I didn't do any kind of research or anything, just stating what I think I know. :cookie:

Posted by Hyper

Good post, maian. Interesting responses like that were what I was hoping for :) Could the collapse of America be comparable to the end of ancient Rome? When Rome fell is generally considered to be the start of the Dark Ages in Europe, could the same thing happen again? Personally I wouldn't think so, as the only reason it happened back then was because Rome kept everything united, when America doesn't do that at all in present times, at least not in the same sense.

Posted by maian

Well, there's also the issue of the Americans themselves. If the country really was overtaken, there's about 350,000,000 people that no longer have a country. I'm sure there would be several rebellions and such, and possibly a "Civil War" in China's new claimed land. (This is all under the assumption that China is the victor of everything) If the patriotic Americans were finally tamed, there would probably be several groups of people who continue to try to "revive" America. In 50-100 years, those Americans would probably be the equivalent of Neo-Nazis now.

Posted by higbvuyb

I doubt America will be invaded at all, as long as their nuclear weapons are working. They will probably decline economically, and become like the UK is now, the remains of a former superpower.

Posted by Klarth

Heh, I was discussing this with a friend earlier...

I believe that the world's economy would suffer greatly. The USA seems to have been the backbone of new technological and sociopolitical developments recently.

Also, many third-world countries are depending on the USA for support. Synthesis of ammonia came out of the US, and helped farmers in developing nations increase their crop yields several fold. Not to mention the vast amounts of aid being poured out - where's the UN headquarters, anyway? The USA.

Kind of reminds me of Philip Dick's book "The Man In The High Castle" - It's set in an alternate universe where the Axis have won WWII, and the USA is under Nazi and Japanese jurisdiction in the year 1988. Germany's empire covers half the globe and controls the economy. In here it's Germany who's the most powerful nation on Earth (obviously) and provides third-world nations with aid, yet there are still terrorist groups plotting against them. It's all about the oppression, I guess.

All in all, the destruction of the world's most powerful nation could be something of a pyrrhic victory. :/

[quote=higbvuyb]They will probably decline economically, and become like the UK is now, the remains of a former superpower.
Let's not forget that we're nice people who eventually returned the land we stole. :)

Posted by Lord of Spam

This is all pretty useless epculation. As its been said, most countries have FAR more to gain with us staying around than they would by attacking us. Not only that, but once the oil dries up, society will crumble anyway on a global level.

Posted by Hyper

Quoting Lord of Spam: This is all pretty useless epculation. As its been said, most countries have FAR more to gain with us staying around than they would by attacking us.

Exactly my point =/ I just hope the countries and groups that want us gone realize this.

Posted by Lord of Spam

If they didnt, we wouldnt be here talking about it. We would already be gone.

America is stretched so thin militarily and budget wise that even if we succeeded in defending ourselves militarily, it would cripple us economiicly.

Posted by Hyper

Quoting Lord of Spam: If they didnt, we wouldnt be here talking about it. We would already be gone.

Which is why I said hypothetically. If, hypothetically, they do such and such, not "lol they wouldn't anyway" =/

Posted by Legend Saber

This is so silly.

Anyone stupid enough to attack America would be nuked out of existance within twenty-four hours.

Posted by Hyper

Not without America getting counter-nuked.

Posted by maian

..Nuclear warfare is very dangerous and risky. I seriously doubt we'd just nuke the crap out of an invader. Not only would we be nuked back, we would totally destroy tons of land. Unless we were on the verge of losing and being taken over, we wouldn't use nukes unless SERIOUSLY needed. the last thing America needs is a city like New York being bombed.

Posted by higbvuyb

Quoted post: ..Nuclear warfare is very dangerous and risky. I seriously doubt we'd just nuke the crap out of an invader. Not only would we be nuked back, we would totally destroy tons of land. Unless we were on the verge of losing and being taken over, we wouldn't use nukes unless SERIOUSLY needed. the last thing America needs is a city like New York being bombed.

Quoted post: Not without America getting counter-nuked.

Not really. A country is going to think about invading America, remember its nuclear bombs, and then think again. the US has enough nukes to totally destroy every city and town in a large country, and devastate most if its land. No country has enough nukes to do this back to America, even if some of their nukes survived the US nukes intact.

Posted by Demonblade

i say it boils down to this. We will one day be attacked by some countries army, but they will never get the united states. True, we may be defeated, but we would sooner destroy the world...then live under somebody elses rule. It is a sad mentality i suppose, but i guess we've been the leader of the world for far too long...that defeat and capture of our land is just unacceptable.

Posted by maian

Well, this thread IS hypothetical.

..Meaning, it's not just like "wouldn't happen lol"

But yeah, I predict someday, America will fall. It doesn't take much to happen. Look at Great Britain. They were the superpower, then they sent some people to America, and the finest army in the world was defeated by farmers. America rose to power. Whether it's a full scale nuclear war, or simply a new revolution, America will die someday.

Posted by GameMiestro

If the entirety of America was somehow nuked to the ground, the resulting radiation would probably wipe half the population off the earth.

Posted by Demonblade

America is a big country, if it was nuked in entirety it would render the rest of the world a barren wasteland...with likely nothing but insects surviving.

Posted by Abby Ratso

Americas doomed, that's why I'm moving to Germany, and if some new hitler dude rises to power, here i come australia Gooday mate.

However nukes no problem, were inventing these laser thingys that could unnarm a nuke on its way, so its no longer a nuke, it's a metal rod that could take 1 life if that guy is not aware, and if the metal rod has good aim

Posted by Xenos

Hum, hum ... well, the man could have said Japan instead.

Posted by higbvuyb

reopening dead thread, k.

Quoted post: However nukes no problem, were inventing these laser thingys that could unnarm a nuke on its way, so its no longer a nuke, it's a metal rod that could take 1 life if that guy is not aware, and if the metal rod has good aim

Its a metal rod that moves at about about a kilometre per second, and basically vapourises when it hits the ground because of the impact force, spreading about a quarter-ton of uranium over a few kilometres. And, that's if you can hit somethign moving that fast with a laser, also given that the nuke explodes several thousand metres above ground level. And modern nuclear missiles carry up to 16 individual warheads.

Quoted post: America is a big country, if it was nuked in entirety it would render the rest of the world a barren wasteland...with likely nothing but insects surviving.

Fusion bombs are far cleaner than fission bombs. There are also laser-activated fusion bombs being developped which will be totally clean, but be as powerful. The only 'radiation' would be a few trillion fast neutrons killing everybody and dissipating in about a second.