Judgmental & Egotistical

Posted by Dexter

Guys, I got chewed out last night for my egotistic and judgmental characteristics. I didn't think I was that bad but I got to thinking about it and I remember about a year ago netman had some issues with my egoism, too. Taking in last nights disapproval and netman's complaint, I've decided that this is something I should work on. Apparently I don't humble myself enough, especially when it comes to my online behavior.

Does anyone else have trouble with these characteristics? I'm still not completely sure that mine are that bad or serious enough to adjust, but I am willing to explore them and am looking forward to hearing what others think. These traits are probably more prominent in males than in females, but I certainly notice both personified in each gender.

I never thought of myself as someone who was riding on his high horse. I know my good and bad qualities and work on what I feel needs modifying. I usually express my bad qualities when the opportunity arises, although not to the point where it starts a pity party. I don't want to appear too humble or as if I have low self-esteem, especially online, where expressing weakness is a golden opportunity for others (thanks Trigger!) and there is enough self-loathing as it is (thanks Judge!). I respect those who compliment themselves when it is due and find it a bit annoying when people flame themselves when it is certainly not due. You know who and her "I'm fat" pity invites is a bit distasteful, for she is of healthy weight and appearance.

Help me, guys. I need to become a better person because I'm apparently not so good the way I am. I'm far too judgmental and my ego is totally unhealthy to the most unbecoming and off-putting degree. My atrocious use of The English Language saddens me and my egotistical behavior will become more irrational, more delusional, and eventually I'll drive away all my friends. I'm a terrible boy who judges and flames others to help elevate and strengthen my own feelings of self-worth. It is impossible to know what murky convergence of chromosomal matter, parent-child dynamics, and alignment of the cosmos is responsible for my self-delusions. plz help me.

**listens to Insignificant by Nevermore**

So how judgmental are you? How is your ego/humbleness? I couldn't possibly have the biggest ego here at VGC, although I'm certain I'm not the humblest.

Posted by Sadinymph

Could you be anymore humorous about your seriousness? ;)

Posted by Xenos

Judgemental? Yes. Very yes.

Egotistical? Maybe. I don't know. Though I was raised under a culture that told me boasting about yourself is a really, really stupid thing and that it is better to stay humble. Even though I think differently, I'll just downgrade myself just to not sound like a total bastard.

Posted by Lord of Spam

I dont really talk about myself unless someone asks, and then I jsut tell the truth, whether it be positive or negative, so I dont really think that I could be labeled egotistical.

Posted by sabre

Dex
Judgemental: I haven't noticed it.
Egotistical: Not really, no. People don't generally like people when they flaunt their abilities excessively, but there is a line between egotism and pride.

Me
Judgemental: I can be, but it's always redeemable.
Egotistical: I don't know. When looking at myself I can't distinguish pride from ego, so I tend to swallow it and mentally beat myself up for it if I think it's getting to my head at all. So, "I don't know, but I'm scared that I am."

I don't tend to be outspokenly egotistical though, if it is egotism and not pride. As I said, I swallow it.

Posted by mis0

I'm both judgemental and egotistical, and neither of which are good. I'm amazed a few people seem to like me.

Posted by Aesthetic

Dex, you judge people to learn more about them, and to learn more about yourself. You compare others to yourself and use that to see who's better (and why). You do it to characterize people before you actually know them, and to learn simple characteristics of people in general. Everybody does this, it's natural - but that doesn't make it right. Just because you learn a lot and use it to your advantage, you shouldn't do it excessively while thinking that it's perfectly fine. As long as you know your boundaries, as long as people in general do, there shouldn't be much of a conflict.

As for being egotistical, the actual definition blatantly shows that it's not a good thing. An excessive amount of anything is never good - it's fine to be proud of your accomplishments and to know when you've done well, but you have to balance that with being humble at the same time. Too much pride, you become egotistical; too little, you start to wallow in self-pity. You need to have a good balance, and for the most part, you do. Everyone, at times, needs to be reminded that they shouldn't let it go too far, and on the other hand, they shouldn't become self-pitying. Neither are a good thing.

As for me, I try to stop myself from judging as often as possible. I know I shouldn't judge, and though it's natural to, I try to remind myself that I shouldn't be doing it. I'd like to think that I have a decent balance of being proud and humble, but I'm sure it's not the best. No one's perfect; there's always something you could be doing to better yourself, no matter how good of a person you are. This applies to everyone.

Posted by Shade

Dude, I haven't noticed either of those qualities in any one of your posts that I've read. Granted, I haven't actually had a conversation with you, but you shouldn't worrying about being judgemental and egotistical, because from what I've seen, you're not.

Posted by Richaod

You've never come across as judgemental or egotistical to me.

Judgemental? Yes, but I almost always keep judgements to myself, so it's never really a problem with others.

Egotistical? I don't stand out in a group of extroverts, but I usually do amongst my friends. I think (nearly) every senior member of VGC is somewhat egotistical though; that's what makes these forums so interesting.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Never noticed either, really. Sure I've seen a few examples of both, but I've seen that in everyone.

Posted by Raptor

*is sexy as hell*

You're also sexy, Dexter. It's all that really matters.

Posted by maian

Dex, I've never really seen those traits in you. You seem like a very modest and sophisticated fellow. :-*

As for me, I really don't think I'm egotistical. A lot of times, I'm way too humble and people force me to take things from them and stuff. o_o (Okay, so, you're not humble if you say you are, but eh)

I am sorta judgemental though, I must say. Although what I judge isn't necessarily bad most of the time, it kind of bugs me how I do. I always try to tell myself to not judge anyone until I meet them. But some people just have some kind of aura that makes me judge them. >_>

Posted by higbvuyb

Well, I'm really judgmental, but not egotistical. Unless, I really am better than someone else.

Posted by Linko_16

I don't think you're so bad, but if you ever feel like you're being judgemental/egotistical with someone, stop what you're doing and put yourself in their shoes for a minute.

I'm not all that judgemental... it'll arise out of nowhere sometimes, but I'm usually pretty fair. I'm capable of being egotistical while thinking to myself from time to time, but I know better than to act that way.

Posted by Richaod

Quoting higbvuyb: but not egotistical.

Yes. You are. And you often tend to come off as arrogant too; not towards me, but towards 90% of people. A lot of them may be apathetic idiots, but you're better off not pointing it out to them.

[/directness]

[quote=Raptor]*is sexy as hell*

You're also sexy, Dexter. It's all that really matters.
stfu n00b.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

I'm both egotistical AND judgmental. Not to mention argumentative *oscar*

Posted by Klarth

I'm utterly judgemental and nothing short of the epitome of egotism. Sue me.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

I'm extremely judgemental, but have a healthy amount of egotism about me.

Posted by Ant

I think everyone on this site is extremely judgemental. I'm not saying it as a bad thing. But I know I am, that's for sure :D

As for egotistical, I'm hardly at all.

Posted by Fate

I like to pretend I'm an egomaniac because I'm actually very insecure. You guys aren't supposed to know that. :(

Posted by higbvuyb

Quoting Richaod: Yes. You are. And you often tend to come off as arrogant too; not towards me, but towards 90% of people. A lot of them may be apathetic idiots, but you're better off not pointing it out to them.

Not really. I try to act like that on purpose ust to **** them off. And if they are stupid, why not call them stupid?

Posted by Raptor

Quoting Fate: I like to pretend I'm an egomaniac because I'm actually very insecure. You guys aren't supposed to know that. :(

Pfft.. I picked up on that years ago.

Anyway, you sound much different when you're leaving me 3 minute messages on my phone, Dexter. I lost count of how many times you said the word "like." In many ways, your manner of expressing yourself in speech is more natural than your typing style. Sometimes, it's just too verbose and contrived. But when you leave messages, I usually pick up on a very chipper and enthusiastic tone, and it's enough to make me beam. It's a good thing because there are way too many depressed people these days who just sound so bleak.

Posted by Trigger

[quote=Fate]I like to pretend I'm an egomaniac because I'm actually very insecure. You guys aren't supposed to know that.
Only if we ignore every second moment that you mention it, especially in those insipid threads that host twenty or more pictures of your identical poses, with maybe a hair strand or two in a different position.

Posted by Fate

Actually, I've been believing a whole lot more lately that I am a generally attractive person. I do like attention. If identical poses bring it, whatever.

Posted by JonMB

Dexter, you seem like a good guy to me. I haven't talked to you much though, but from what I've experienced so far.

I'm not judgemental or egotistical. I may come across as a big ego sometimes, but anyone who knows me understands that I am just joking. I'm proud of myself and have my own opinions, but not overly so.

Posted by Dexter

You are so right, Raptor. People are generally amazed when they get the opportunity to speak to me on the phone. They can often find me too arrogant or high and mighty online, but when speaking to me on the phone, they learn a completely different side of me. Almost everyone that I talk to on VGC admits that I am different on the phone...or in person. They usually say it is for the better, too.

So if you don't like me, simply call me. :love:

Posted by Raptor

I would if I wasn't so phone-shy!