PS3: 60GB hard drive confirmed

Posted by Klarth

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/03/17/confirmed-playstation-3-will-ship-with-60-gb-hdd/

As standard.

Any hopes of an affordable console are now dashed, I guess.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Good. For a minute there I thought the hard drive would be necessary, yet sold seperately. However, this just makes it seem like the PS3 will be even more expensive. And not only that, but I don't think 60 gigs is enough. If they expect us to put HD movies, music, games, and a whole bunch of other stuff on to the hard drive, 60 gigs won't last long. And I don't feel like purchasing an upgrade. Especially if the 360's 20 gigs is any indication of price.

Posted by Decado

The console will *NEVER* retail for more than $500, probably not much more than $400, simply because sony are *happy* to sell at a loss early on to get the market share, and to get the console in peoples homes.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Decado: The console will *NEVER* retail for more than $500, probably not much more than $400, simply because sony are *happy* to sell at a loss early on to get the market share, and to get the console in peoples homes.

You do realize that they have said that it wont sell for anything LESS than $425, right?

Posted by Monkey-paw

WTF 60gb sorry but thats stupid lol it's something microsoft would do lol :D

Quoted post: WTF 60gb sorry but thats stupid lol it's something microsoft would do lol

No, MS would sell 20 gigs with only some of the consoles.

Quoted post:
The console will *NEVER* retail for more than $500, probably not much more than $400, simply because sony are *happy* to sell at a loss early on to get the market share, and to get the console in peoples homes.

Are they willing to take a loss of around $400? They said it was going to be expensive, and I don't doubt it. This isn't just gaming machine, it's a lot more than just that. Moreso than the 360. Plus, they know people will buy it either way, so I think they're willing to take the risk.

Posted by Demonblade

Quoting Vampiro:

Are they willing to take a loss of around $400? They said it was going to be expensive, and I don't doubt it. This isn't just gaming machine, it's a lot more than just that. Moreso than the 360. Plus, they know people will buy it either way, so I think they're willing to take the risk.

Agreed, whats the worst that can happen. "Oh no, its too expensive...nobody is buying it, guess well just have to lower the price"

I dont care how expensive it is, within reason that is...i'll end up buying one im sure.

Posted by higbvuyb

20 gigabytes is enough for music, and games. Therefore, Microsoft's HD is not too expensive. However, for HDTV res-movies, 60gb isn't enough. So, the Sony HD will be too expensive. Hopefully the console sells for $1000 with all the necessary accessories, and Sony dies.

Quoted post: 20 gigabytes is enough for music, and games.

No it isn't. Seeing as how 7 gigs is already used out of the box, it's nothing. With game saves, music, arcade downloads, demos, and trailers, it's not a lot of space at all.

Posted by higbvuyb

Quoted post: Seeing as how 7 gigs is already used out of the box, it's nothing
What?

Quoted post: What?

You only get 13 gigs. Give or take.

Posted by Big Boss

I've been very pleased with PS3 news as of late, from their online structure to the hard drive. Now if the controller gets fixed, which Sony has stopped mentioning for quite a while now, then there won't be anything to be concerned with from my end.

Posted by Klarth

Then you might be interested to hear that it's shipping with pre-installed Linux and a whole host of other apps.

I'd post a link, but Digg's down right now. :X

edit: http://ps3.qj.net/Linux-on-the-PS3-it-has-been-confirmed/pg/49/aid/11306

Posted by Grave Wisdom

Why does this HD news not surprise me?

Linux pre-installed would kick *** though, assuming it's true.