What is your most favorite RPG of all time?

Posted by Xenos

Mines without a doubt it Terranigma and Xenogears. I love both of them and played them many times. Apparently both of them were not released to their full potential--Terranigma was not released in America, Xenogears was not released in Europe. Dame Square-Enix and nosy cults.

Posted by bazariah

for me im split between two games

final fantasy 7.... reason: it introduced loads of rpgs to the uk and proved they are a viable buisniness option over here

suikoden... reason: it was the one decent rpg released before final fantasy 7, so many charcacters to use/collect (108) and an intriuging storyline

Posted by Shade

Golden Sun: The Lost Age. Great characters, good story, challenging dungeons, a lot of bosses, battling with many different kinds of psynergy. Yeah, it's a great game.

Posted by Legend Saber

It would have to be Final Fantasy VII, a nice, long quest that never gets old, with story in depth to the point that people are still talking about it seven years after the fact. The battle system is complex yet simple, with almost an infinite number of combinations in battle. The music is beyond brilliant, it's quite possibly the greatest soundtrack I've ever heard, and replay value? Hell, I just started my eighth playthrough. This game offers a little bit to everybody, and offers so much more to hardcore RPG fans. The first RPG I ever played, and still the best. Due to the effect of nostaliga, I doubt anything will overtake it at this point.

Posted by -Shadow-

Some of My Favorites.

Super Mario RPG: Legend of the seven stars. (SNES)
The very first Rpg I have played, so it holds many great memories of gaming.

Dragon Warrior Series (NES)
Classics!

Breath of Fire (Snes)
I really liked this game as well. It had popup battles that really never got on your nerves, and a really good storyline

Knights of Xentar (Pc)
If you ignore all of the weird hentai scenes, Its actually a pretty decent Rpg's.

Chrono Trigger (Snes)
All around awesome Rpg. Awesome storyline, awesome fighting system, no flaws on this one.

Earthbound (Snes)
Another great Rpg. Although a tad childish, it is still really good.

Posted by Dooms Day

I can't Choose between FFVII & FFX. Both really good Games.

Posted by Admiral Anthrax

It has to go to two games that I never get tired of playing no matter how many times I beat them, and those would be Chrono Trigger and EarthBound.

Posted by Klarth

Tales of Phantasia.

Words can barely describe how wonderful this game is. The battle system was something completely unheard of at the time - a welcome break from essentially turn-based strategy, it gave you complete control over Cless and his various sword techniques. It had some of the most advanced features of any Super Famicom game - speech, pseudo-3d visuals, and a great intro song. The story was absolutely beautiful, and the character design was excellent - particularly that of Dhaos, the villain. Easily the best villain of all time, RPGs and otherwise.

Runners-up: Terranigma, Tales of Symphonia, Seiken Densetsu III, EarthBound, Final Fantasy IV, Final Fantasy V and Star Ocean.

Posted by The Bathroom Zombie

My favorite would have to be Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn
Its great how long and open ended that game is.

Posted by Fiindil

Quoting The Bathroom Zombie: My favorite would have to be Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn
Its great how long and open ended that game is.

ah. what more can i add to that asides from the fact it's deeply involving and has some of the best characters to ever appear in an RPG (Minsc and Boo, take a bow)

Posted by MadCracked

ff7 was awsome ...I also have to say star ocean was great to it seems to me that the games you like are relativly the same as me

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

Wow, it's great to see some Baldur's Gate fans here. The original is my favourite game, of all time. I love the gameplay, I adore the music...I pretty much enjoy everything about the game. Especially some of the choice responses that is given to your character. Some are quite hilarious.

Final Fantasy VIII is another of my favourite. I really fell in love with this game. Storyline enthralling, characters believable and touching, grand music, beautiful FMV's...don't let other's negative opinions deter you from at least giving this title a try.

I also really enjoy Chrono Cross, Icewing Dale (or anything similar to Baldur's Gate, PC versions), and Final Fantasy VII and X. Shadow Hearts is also excellent. I should re-play it.

Posted by Dexter

Willow for the NES was definitely one of my favorites, if not my favorite. It was one of my first RPGs, too. I doubt I would get the same satisfaction if I newly played it these days, but back when I was younger, that game was amazing.

Posted by Hyper_chao1122

Mine would have to be...probably Star Ocean: Till' the end of Time. The invention thing and the cutscene graphics are all great. Another one would probably be FFX. The whole Blitzball thing is fun.

Posted by Fiindil

Quoting Angelwing: Wow, it's great to see some Baldur's Gate fans here. The original is my favourite game, of all time. I love the gameplay, I adore the music...I pretty much enjoy everything about the game. Especially some of the choice responses that is given to your character. Some are quite hilarious.

I'm guessing one of them would be the third response to the watcher's in Candlekeep if you get caught stealing? (for those who don't know/remember: Up yours, uppity bald virgin)

Well, I wasn't necessarily referring to that one...But if you're looking for an interesting conversation, go out and search for Cheeno, I believe his name is.

Posted by Fiindil

hmmm, will do when i get around to it, trying to avoid being killed by a bunch of sirenes using a level 5 thief in the first game isn't too fun :)

or for hilarious conversation, just carry around Minsc, Edwin, Tiax, Qualye and Montaron, very fun

Posted by Xero

My favorite RPG game is Mario RPG from super NES. It still is. :devil:

Quoting Fiindil: hmmm, will do when i get around to it, trying to avoid being killed by a bunch of sirenes using a level 5 thief in the first game isn't too fun :)

or for hilarious conversation, just carry around Minsc, Edwin, Tiax, Qualye and Montaron, very fun

Ah, Sirens are always fun. :P

I can't stand both Tiax or Montaron. I only allow Montaron and Xzar to become a part of my party so I can steal their belongings, then make them kill each other, or attempt to murder a nearby bear. It's quite entertaining. Tiax is a little too full of himself, so I hardly bother with him. Edwin is a b[color=pink]a
stard. I'm too good for him. I can tolerate Minsc and Quayle, although in BGI, I don't really use them. Do you remember how the coversation went? Or which lines which characters say to who?[/color]

Posted by Dark

FFVIII, I love it. :)

Fire Emblem's really good too.

Posted by Fiindil

angelwing, unfortunatly no, altho tiax and qualye are **** funny, something like

Tiax: When i am king blah blah
Qualye: then the average IQ of etc will drop blah blah blah

Heheh.

Ha, I was just playing Baldur's Gate II. I'm in the D'Arnise Stronghold, and Nalia says to me, "How are we helping the less unfortunate while trudging around in here?"

Posted by Fiindil

you took nalia, voluntarily? fair enough, i normally stay as far away from nalia as possible, apart from maybe to kill her and everyone else in the copper coronet when i get bored :D

Haha, she's not so bad. A bit dense, but decent enough. Plus, I can own her stronghold if I'm a fighter, I believe. I'm a Ranger, though, but oh well.

Posted by Fiindil

i think ranger gets the stronghold anyway? besides, you don't have to drag the useless ***** around to keep it. Mage is more fun IMO, you get the planarsphere! that's awesome! of course the theif one is also fun, run the thieve's guild :P fun

I'll eventually play as all classes. I like the idea of how they set that up. It's neat.

Heh, do you usually keep Viconia in your party? Who are your favourite characters? And in the first BG?

Posted by Fiindil

I always take Viconia in both games no matter what, best cleric in the games IMO

Favourite characters in BG2: Minsc (c'mon, he has Boo, that's enough by itself, not to mention the uber two handed swordedness or two weapons) Edwin (throw in Minsc and it's pretty **** fun :)) Viconia (awesome cleric, and evil to boot, yay!) Aerie (mage/cleric :| yes please) and then either Keldorn (just because) Mazzy (c'mon, near enough a halfling paladin) Valygar (THAT katana :)) or Imoen (nice spell caster)

not suprisingly, that's normally my party, in most cases i'll play a theif, take Valygar along and then dump him for Imoen

First game: Minsc (same reasons) Montaron (omg evil badass!) Xzar (reminds me of me ;)) Viconia (same reasons) Edwin (same reasons) and Khalid (ok HP, normally does a fair bit of damage before Minsc gets a critical and makes things explode)

you're favourite characters and normal party (if there is one) Angelwing?

Well, for BG I, my party usually consists of Imoen (she can be annoying, but she's a good theif), Jaheira (she's pretty badass, I just like her personality, even if she is a bit of a nag. I always end up getting her to kill Khalid...:) ), Kivan (probably my favourite NPC of all), Xan (I mean, he has a Moonblade, and although I'm jealous, I let him tag along) and Yeslick (just because he's awesome). I usually have Minsc and Edwin in there for a bit, until I come across one of my more favourite NPC's. Or Shar-Teel and Ajantis. Branwen is alright, as well. My most hated NPC is Garric. I really just don't like him. Besides that he's inadequate. As for my character, I usually choose a fighter/thief. Sometimes I'll choose a mage, though, but not often.

I actually haven't played through all of BG II, so I don't have a favourite party yet. :P But yeah. Boo and Minsc are entertaining, and being able to wield two weapons at once is fantastic.

Posted by William

I'm not really sure on this one.

I used to think of Final Fantasy VI as being my favorite game of all time, now it's changed a bit after playing a few excellent RPGs.

I think it's probably a tie right now between Xenosaga Episode I, Final Fantasy VI, Xenogears, Tales of Phantasia, and Shadow Hearts. My reasoning for those choices are as follows:

Xenosaga Episode I - Excellent game, with a very good story, amazing graphics and visual effects, one of the best soundtracks that a RPG has ever had, memorable characters, a lot of plot twists, and the many FMVs are actually a good change in a game to me, as I haven't seen one with that many before.

Final Fantasy VI - There is just so much to do in this game. It's just absolutely huge, and you get a mass of characters to choose from the further you get into the game. Not to mention, one of the best villains of all time in my opinion.

Tales of Phantasia - A relaxing change of pace for me, as I've never really played many games with sexual references, great humor, a gripping and VERY twisting/amazing storyline (get to the end and you'll see ;)), and I loved the battle system. Not to mention it had time travel.

Xenogears - Most intricate and detailed plot ever. Definitely makes you think a lot, and that is great. The game is very challenging as well, which is a plus.

Shadow Hearts - Dark, horror-based RPG. Do I need to explain why I love it? :p

Posted by Barrysun

my list:

Mewtwo- greatest pokemon ever created!

Katt- speed and power house cat-girl here.

Yuffie- Item magnet!

Elko- fun and good white magic.

Groundon- distroyer of all things.....

Ramza- cool man

Rafa- I like her for the looks and character. and plus she can be usefull at magic.

and that's about it.

Posted by Boner

Quoting Mr.Smith: Dragon Warrior Series (NES)
Classics!

Indeed.

Posted by sephiroth_theunborn

all the final fantasy's and Baten Kaitos

Posted by Map42892

I always thought FFVI, but im starting to play VI and i don't know...

Posted by Gamerguy

Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars - One of the best games I've ever played in my gaming life.
Baten Kaitos - A good game that features a battle system with cards and stuff. Good game overall.
Tales of Symphonia - One of my all time favorites. This game (IMO) is the best "Tales of" game that I've played.
Final Fantasy IV, V, VI, VII, IX - These were the only "classic" Final Fantasy games that I've played. Pretty good nonetheless.

Posted by Seproth

Mine would haft to be FFVII and FFIX. Although I do play FFVII almost every day..

Posted by karn

mine are the goldensun and final fantasy games for the story and the adventure of it all.

Posted by SuperSoupy

zelda: ocarina of time for sure. Revoulutionary in every sense of the word! And even when you didnt know where to go or what to do, you could always just whip out yer ocarina and play the theme to 'the simpsons'. ace.

my second fave is Final Fantasy,the battle system i loved cos it gave you time to actually think out your strategies without worrying about an ATB system.

all tying for third place are Final Fantasy 8, Mario+Luigi Superstar Saga, Grandia and Grandia 2.

Posted by WhiteWolf012187

I would have to say Final Fantasy VIII and Shadow Hearts 1+2. I love RPG's.

<3 WhiteWolf

Posted by SuperSoupy

final fantasy 5, a bit too long though

Posted by samee92

mine has to be diablo 2: lod i played it off and on 4 like 3 years. now im bored of it. wiating for diablo3!

Posted by samee92

wtf does it say i this topic was by me cus i sure as hell didnt make this