Subsistence pre-order problem.

Posted by Fate

For those of you that don't know, Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence has been released today. Pre-orders were being taken months ago for this game with the benefit of getting a special 35-minute "life and times" DVD of the Metal Gear saga, including some interviews with Hideo Kojima, the creator of Metal Gear. I, by pure chance, pre-ordered my special edition copy of MGS 3: Subsistence at a local GameStop. My boyfriend, however, pre-ordered his copy at a local EB Games. I happened to stop by GameStop the other day to see if the DVD was in, and it was! I got my copy a couple of days before the release of Subsistence. My boyfriend was awaiting a call from EB to see if his disc was coming in soon. Much to his dismay, EB was not doing the pre-order special disc; only GameStop was. When I picked up my copy, the clerk was telling me about how popular Metal Gear was and how pre-orders stopped on 17 February because of the high demand. So, basically, I picked up an rare limited edition copy of Subsistence; those who did not order the limited edition would not get it.

Now, to the problem. My boyfriend (as much as I hate to say it) is a bigger Metal Gear fan that I am. MGS3 is his favorite game of all time. I didn't even think of pre-ordering the game until he told me to because I thought I could just buy it upon release. He didn't get his special bonus disc, but I did because of dumb luck. He even reserved a copy for his brother, but both reserves placed were at EB. I feel really undeserving of this.

But it's ****ing Metal Gear. I feel bad and good at the same time.
:(

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Yeah, I got it without having to pre-order since it was given to my store as a sort of promotional thing. :cool: Much like a t-shirt, really. Though I'm not picking up the game until friday. But still.

If I were you, I'd watch it a few times, burn it, then give him the original as a gift.

Posted by Fate

I offered him the disc, but he still doesn't like the fact that he wasted his own precious time to pre-order the game and not get the bonus disc.

Posted by Crazy K

That really sucks, I hope you two work something out with that Metal Gear Solid 3 DVD.

If that happened to me I would flip a nut.

Posted by Fate

Trust me, he's going mad. I'm keeping the DVD, and he wants his own copy. He's totally ****ed at EB to the point of boycotting it.

Yeah. I'd be fairly ****ed off too.

Though, you MIGHT be able to get a copy from Konami. Send in your pre-order slip and they might just send him a disc. It's a long shot, but hey, it could work.

Posted by Crazy K

Yeah I believe ya, I remember back when I got that Demo disc from Sony Underground and when I played it, it erased my memory card. And I got all mad. I then later on read through Electronic gaming and found out that sony was giving out a free game to anyone that it happened to. And I called Sony right after reading that.

But after I got a hold of Sony they said they were not giving out free games anymore, Boy was I ****ed. But they had a boring solection of games to choose from, but I was still ****ed.

But anyways I hope he finds a way to get that DVD. He should boycott EB for it.

Posted by Fate

Konami has nothing to do with the bonus disc. It's a retail thing.

Sucks about that Sony Underground thing. :(

Posted by Pit

Quoting Fate: Konami has nothing to do with the bonus disc. It's a retail thing.

Didn't Konami... you know... Metal Gear Solid bonus disk, they have something to do with it.

Same goes for the popele who reserved Windwaker and didn't get a bonus disc, which happened around here. Send the company an e-mail about it, and if the problem is on a large scale, then, Konami will probably ease up and make a statement.

Posted by Fate

Nah, Carlos e-mailed Konami about it. They said it was a retail thing. My guess is that Konami allowed production of the disc, but through GameStop only.

Posted by brownoystercult

Don't you still get a third disc with the special edition anyway?

Posted by Roger Smith

Probably so. But I got the DVD when I pre-ordered it and I'm happy. I've already watched it like...7 times.

Posted by Random

Well EB is technically Gamestop now. I used to work at EB and we complained about it. I boycot Gamestop because they messed up a Pre Order of mine. Not like in your situation but one of my own. It was Halo 2 which had like 1,000 Pre orders at Gamestop and I put down $35 to get the special not so limited but was called limited edition of Halo 2. So I still owed $20 on it and I went in to pay it off and the guy told me my pre order only had $5 on it. So i'm thinking to myself ok I have to have the receipt somewhere. I couldn't find it for the life of me. I was so ****ed so I put down $40 and figured I'd pay it off shortly before the release. When I went to pay it off there was only $15 on it. I was so F***ing ****ed it wasn't even funny. I complained to him and it was the manager which pardon my language but is a F*ckin Retard. I ended up going in there when it was released and paid it off in person right there and then to assure myself it wouldn't happen again. I found both receipts later on and complained further to him but there was nothing I could do. I was so agrivated... >:o

Posted by Fate

Quoting Roinkz: Don't you still get a third disc with the special edition anyway?

Nope.

What DO you get with the Special Edition?

I know there are two parts for the regular Subsistence and for the Special Edition there are three parts, which are?

And THEN theres the bonus you get with pre-ordering it; right? So basically if you pre-order the Special Edition at Gamestop you essentially get 4 parts?

Posted by Fate

My limited edition has never-before-released games Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake. It also has the exclusive MGS3 Theater Disc, which is like tying all cutscenes together in one three-hour+ DVD. Plus, Subsistence already comes with the online play, new camera, PSP connection, new stages for Snake vs. Monkey, and theater mode, I believe.

Pre-orders for the limited edition are the only ones out. There are no more in production. There also aren't any more bonus discs for those who didn't reserve it.

Posted by JonMB

Boycotting a game store over a missed disc or a messed up pre-order is kinda silly, IMO.

Posted by Fate

Not if it's Metal Gear. :cookie:

Posted by Dog

if you try to burn the disc you might be able to give him a copy. but that doesn't always work...

Quoting Fate: My limited edition has never-before-released games Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake. It also has the exclusive MGS3 Theater Disc, which is like tying all cutscenes together in one three-hour+ DVD. Plus, Subsistence already comes with the online play, new camera, PSP connection, new stages for Snake vs. Monkey, and theater mode, I believe.

Pre-orders for the limited edition are the only ones out. There are no more in production. There also aren't any more bonus discs for those who didn't reserve it.

I got it. Subsistence in itself as two discs; Subsistence and Persistence, the only thing that the limited edition has over the regular version is the third disc, being Existence, which has a theater mode. I'll go with the regular version, as I'm not a die hard fan.

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Shdig: if you try to burn the disc you might be able to give him a copy. but that doesn't always work...

RIP. If she tries to RIP the disk, for shit's sake. BURNING IS ADDING DATA, RIPPING IS EXTRACTING IT FROM THE DATA MEDIUM. Of course, if the disc were to be copied, there'd be some burning involved, but I dislike pedantry.

Sucks for him. :( I'm not sure if I can identify seeing as the only Metal Gears I've played were on the NES, MSX and GBC, but all I can suggest is for BB to take the eBay route or something...

Quoted post: being Existence, which has a theater mode.

First disc has the theater mode. All the third disc is is basically a movie. It's meant for the hardcore fans.

Posted by JonMB

Why would you burn the disc? If you do that it will be worthless, unless you want a pile of ashes.

Posted by boomstick

Seriously, ****, I pre-ordered mine from EBGames awhile ago and it's not got here, yet, but I mean....just ****, I really wanted both of those discs, I was looking forward to both, ****.

I've yet to find a price under $60 on Ebay, hell the cheapest Buy It Now was $199.99, I got a bid going, maybe if I get lucky I can get it cheaper then $80, but highly unlikely.

Man, Big Boss was like twice the MGS fan I am, he must've been seriously ****ed off with this, gonna be some angry sex.....

Posted by Klarth

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Metal-Gear-Solid-3-Subsistence-LIMITED-EDITION_W0QQitemZ8268987177QQcategoryZ11327QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

£55 plus postage... Maybe about $100 US? Twenty available from that guy.

Posted by Fate

Whoa, talk about a nazi.

As for boomstick, man that sucks. I always get my stuff from GameStop.
:(

Posted by boomstick

Quoting Fate: As for boomstick, man that sucks. I always get my stuff from GameStop. :(

Yea, I always usually get my stuff from EBGames, I've never had any problems before, but I think I'll start shopping at GameStop.

At least he'll probably get some angry sex outta it, though I guess I could too.....

Posted by Fate

I got my slime controller at GameStop, too. <3

Angry sex sounds painful. <3333

Posted by boomstick

Quoting Fate: Angry sex sounds painful. <3333

Yep.

Anyway, yea, according to my e-mail from EB, I will be getting the Metal Gear Sagas Vol. 1 DVD, but I'm still out of the Movie Disc, which I was REALLY looking forward, too.*sign* Back to dishing out my soul on EBay

Posted by Speedfreak

So...uh...how's the new camera system?

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Fate: Angry sex sounds painful. <3333

Only for the girl<333333333333

Quoted post: So...uh...how's the new camera system?

Unbelievable. The camera alone warrants a purchase. Or at least another play-through.

Quoted post: Only for the girl<333333333333

Never had sex with an angry girl?

Posted by Fate

For those who don't like the fixed camera, it's beautifully done. :)

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Vampiro: Never had sex with an angry girl?

I never felt the claw marks until afterward, so I dont count it.

Ooops, Ive said too much, havent I?:X

Posted by Roger Smith

Quoting Lord of Spam:
Ooops, Ive said too much, havent I?:X

No, please continue.

Man, all of you talking about the camera system makes me even more jumpy cuz later on today I wil be getting my copy!

HurRRa!

Posted by Big Boss

I'll be getting a copy of the MGS Sagas Vol. 1 DVD sometime next week, although I probably won't be getting one for my brother. After some calls, the EB guy "pulled some strings" and should be getting a copy of the DVD from another store soon.

I wouldn't be surprised if "pulling some strings" means "employees returning copies that don't belong to them," but either way it works for me. Along with my Limited Edition copy, I'll be set.

Posted by s0ul

Wait, you guys were upset? I was celebrating all day that I didn't accidentally find one. [spoiler]I had to, I'm sure you understand.[/spoiler]

Posted by boomstick

I got mine and I did, in fact get the Metal Gear Saga Vol. 1 DVD, but the movie disc was nowhere to be seen, *sign*, I guess it's back to Ebay......

Posted by Fate

You didn't get the Theater Disc? OMG. Bomb your EB.

Posted by boomstick

Quoting Fate: You didn't get the Theater Disc? OMG. Bomb your EB.

I ordered online, so I'd have to bomb them all, but it sucks because I really wanted that disc, as much as the Sagas disc, now I'll be dishing out an assload from Ebay just for that one disc, ah well, maybe I can sell the standard Subsistence version for about the same price I bought it for, though I'll keep the Sagas DVD.

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting boomstick: I got mine and I did, in fact get the Metal Gear Saga Vol. 1 DVD, but the movie disc was nowhere to be seen, *sign*, I guess it's back to Ebay......

That's because the Theater disk comes inside the Limited Edition package, unlike the Sagas Vol. 1 DVD. They don't get shipment of that disc by itself, but of the Limited Edition box that has the disc in it, which is only obtained by pre-ordering it.

So, unless someone bought the Limited Edition and chose to return the Theater disc that came inside it, it's very unlikely you'll find it by itself in any store.

Posted by boomstick

Quoting Big Boss]

So if I beat the game on my regular edition, I will unlock the theater mode?

And also a duel mode option will appear on the main screen for disc 1 or disc 2?

Pretty sure.

Disc 2.

I'm still confused whether or not I HAVE to choose "I like MGS3!" or if I can unlock them by beating the game once.

Posted by boomstick

Heh, I loved the Multiplayer video when you start up Disc 2, quite funny and, at the same time, beatifully shows off the online multiplayer

Quoted post: I'm still confused whether or not I HAVE to choose "I like MGS3!" or if I can unlock them by beating the game once.

I don't know about the demo, since I had it before I even beat MGS3:S. But I believe you DO have to pick "I like MGS3!" to unlock the duel. Or just check gamefaqs. But I'm fairly positive I'm correct.