I've Got Questions I demand Answers

Posted by Random

Lately i've been yearning to play some GBA games. Mostly RPG's or games like Gunstar Super Heroes. Its been killing me because I want to buy a Red GBA SP but they no longer manufacture the colored ones and I hate buying used systems.

Heres what i'm thinking. There are some DS Titles I'd enjoy playing (Mario 64, Mario and Luigi Partners in Crime, Resident Evil, Mario Kart DS, and Lunar: Dragon Song.
But there are also games that are coming out for it that I want such as:

Fullmetal Alchemist: Dual Sympathy
Final Fantasy III
Super Mario Brothers (Working Title)

Theres not a lot but the DS does play GBA games.

I compare:

DS $129.99
GBA Micro $99.99
GBA SP $79.99

Now my question is also when is the DS Lite coming out and any idea of how much it'll be and does anyone play Wifi? What should I go with here?

Posted by VirtualRealityZone

I would wait and get the DS lite. I know some exclusive information and I know the exact launch date...but I can't say it in here. PM if you want it.

EDIT*: millions of people around the world play wi-fi

Posted by Speedfreak

Jesus Christ, everyone around here has secret f[COLOR=lightgreen]u[/COLOR]cking sources now. DS Lite is out in May in the US, wait for that. Hell, even if it isn't you'll be able to import one from Japan, there's no difference between them at all.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: Now my question is also when is the DS Lite coming out and any idea of how much it'll be and does anyone play Wifi? What should I go with here?

Game sites seem to be saying May. Then again, they might wait until DS supplies run dry here. Still, it shouldn't be a long wait. But yeah, definitely buy a DSL. It's supposed to be a huge improvement for only ten bucks more. Can't go wrong.

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

I wouldn't bother importing it from Japan for a while, They're scarce, and prices are sky-high.

My suggestion, though, would be to get an original GBA until the Lite comes out (or imports down in price). A preowned one will be around $30, so you can afford to get it temporarily, and possibly trade it in for a US Lite when the time comes (even though you'll probably only get $8 or so).

Quoted post: They're scarce, and prices are sky-high.

Aren't they going for almost $400?

Well, exactly. A DS vs. a 360? I know which one I'd get.

Especially since 360s are a lot cheaper in Japan now, anyway.

Posted by Random

Well May 3rd happens to be my Birthday which is a Wednesday (The day after Game releases) So it'd be Ironic if it was released on the 2nd.

Posted by CS Ryan

It's good to hope.

I'm thinking of getting a new DS soon anyway. The L and R buttons don't work well on mine.

Posted by Shade

I'd get an original DS, the Lite ones look downright crappy, and do the same things, except they're smaller.

Quoted post: I'd get an original DS, the Lite ones look downright crappy, and do the same things, except they're smaller.

Read hand-ons. Everyone seems to prefer the new DS. And small is good, since the DS is quite large and awkward.

Posted by Shade

Fits in my pocket, all that matters.

And I've seen pictures, it looks downright awful.

Quoted post: Fits in my pocket, all that matters.

Barely in mine. And even then it looks retarded.

Posted by Shade

Maybe you just need bigger pockets!

No. I need a smaller handheld.

Posted by Shade

Or bigger pockets?

Fine, but you'll have one ugly *ss handheld.

Posted by Klarth

Original DS is fugly and so is the PS3 controller

Posted by Shade

Quoting Klarth: DS Lite is fugly and so is the Rev controller

Fixed!

This is weird. I was at a mate's house yesterday, and his housemate came in, saw our DSes on the table, and immediately said 'That's the DS? Ugly little thing.'

I don't see it, myself. Maybe it's because it's such an improvement on the prototype they showed us ages ago. But I suppose the Lite is there for those people.

Quoted post: Fine, but you'll have one ugly *ss handheld.

I don't see how you can think the old one looks better than the new one. I'm fine with the original, but Christ, not only is it ugly, it's really uncomfortable after awhile of use.

Posted by Speedfreak

How the heck is DS Lite ugly!? It's completely smooth and covered in a layer of transparent plastic to make it shiny, and the buttons are much more comfortable. By the way, there's much more to it than it's size, it's also got much better screens and the battery life is twice as long.

Twice as long? Did not know that.

Curse you, Nintendo, making me spend ALL MY MONEY.

Quoted post: Twice as long? Did not know that.

On medium or lowest brightness setting of course. Though the lowest setting is STILL brighter than the original DS.

Yeah, I can't see myself having it on the highest brightness setting all the time.

Methinks I'll wait for the black one, and have matching consoles all over the place.

Quoted post: Methinks I'll wait for the black one, and have matching consoles all over the place.

Assuming there will be a black one. They might just still with the three colours.

Posted by Random

I'm not buying it for Looks. Personally I think the DS Looks like **** but it's not how it looks but what it can do. Don't judge a book by it's Cover. Though the SP's are sexay.

Posted by Shade

The SP is the best handheld ever, IMO. I'm so sad I lose mine. :(

The Lite? I think it looks like sh*t. You know, like these shots show. And how the heck does the original get uncomfortable? Feels fine to me. Also, as long as I don't have get perfectly situated by a lamp to play, I don't how bright the screen is. And the battery life is fine as it is.

I need no DS Lite.

You're stupid. That's all there is to it then.

Posted by Random

I really really really want to get a Red SP but couldn't find any. However today I stumbled on both Red and Blue. My brother too is looking to get a Gameboy but we're both debating because the DS does have some nice games coming out and it has some nice games already out, but the majority of the games we both want to play are for the Advance. So i'm not really sure. I guess it won't kill me to think it over. I should have just grabbed the Red DS bundle when I had the chance. Oh well..

Posted by Shade

Quoting Vampiro: You're stupid. That's all there is to it then.

Why? For being happy with what I have and not wanting to shell out $150 for a system I already have?

Yeah, I reeeal stupid. :rolleyes:

Quoted post: Why? For being happy with what I have and not wanting to shell out $150 for a system I already have?

Yeah, I reeeal stupid.

It was a joke. But you're stupid now for taking it seriously.

However, deeming it ugly and substandard because you have no need for it IS stupid. *shrugs*

Posted by Shade

Quoting Vampiro: It was a joke. But you're stupid now for taking it seriously.

However, deeming it ugly and substandard because you have no need for it IS stupid. *shrugs*

No, I took it seriously even though it was a joke. It's one of the many I talents I posess.

No, I deem it ugly because I think it's ugly. And I DON'T need it, and neither do you, because you already have a DS. I could imagine if it had a new feature, like the SP did to the GBA, but it doesn't. So no, in my opinion, anybody who buys one and already has a fully functional DS is stupid.

Posted by Klarth

[quote=Shade]anybody who buys one and already has a fully functional DS is stupid.
Even if they want longer battery life, brighter screens, more brightness settings, more ease of use, better stylus storage, better buttons, additional screen safety, etc etc?

Yeah, well, I think you're ugly. AND stupid.

Posted by Random

I do have to agree with Shade. The Slim DS is sorta neat but it doesn't have any real additional functions. And I garuntee people will trade in or sell their DS's to get the Slim DS which is no upgrade.

Posted by Shade

Quoting Klarth: Even if they want longer battery life

Since when is 10 hours not enough?

[quote]brighter screens, more brightness settings

What's the big deal about the brighter screen? It's already really bright, and if I can see what I'm playing, in the dark, it's perfect.

[quote]more ease of use

It's easy as it is.

[quote]better stylus storage

Because, what, you want to carry around more than 1? What for?

[quote]better buttons, additional screen safety, etc etc?

Buttons are fine, and the clamshell keeps the screen(s) plenty safe.

[quote]Yeah, well, I think you're ugly. AND stupid.

Well, you're a monkey. So there.

Posted by Klarth

[quote=Shade]
Since when is 10 hours not enough?
Camping trip/24 hour flight

[quote]
What's the big deal about the brighter screen? It's already really bright, and if I can see what I'm playing, in the dark, it's perfect.
Consumes less battery, more adjustable

[quote]
It's easy as it is.
****ing uncomfortable

[quote]
Because, what, you want to carry around more than 1? What for?
I was referring to the fact that it slides in underneath the hinge and is thus more ergonomic

[quote]
Buttons are fine, and the clamshell keeps the screen(s) plenty safe.
Things can still get stuck between the screens - Bottom screen can slide in and out for a perfect fit

[quote]
Well, you're a monkey. So there.
Says you, ape-descendant.

Also, the microphone's in a better place.

Posted by Shade

1. Camping trip, shouldn't be playing your DS in the first place.
2. Battery thing I understand, but that doesn't affect me, so I don't care. And why the f*ck do you want adjustability? Give me a scenaria, plz.
3. Nuh uh.
4. Under the hinge = harder to access.
5. Sliding bottom screen? wtf?
6. I don't believe in evolution.
7. I don't use the microphone.

Posted by Klarth

[quote]
1. Camping trip, shouldn't be playing your DS in the first place.
Flight point still stands, especially for people like me who travel a lot.

[quote]
2. Battery thing I understand, but that doesn't affect me, so I don't care. And why the f*ck do you want adjustability? Give me a scenaria, plz.
"Oh dear it is light outside and I want my battery to last! Dimming time.

[quote]3. Nuh uh.
Sure, if you have short, stubby fingers and an accompanying gorilla grip.

[quote]
4. Under the hinge = harder to access.
Under the hinge = tap side with your index finger, pull it out smoothly thus. Original DS = Crank your thumb to the underside, swivel DS to the left, remove thus.

[quote]
5. Sliding bottom screen? wtf?
When you flip the Lite shut, the bottom screen (at least, I think it's the bottom screen) moves to fit right up against the top screen, resulting in no space between them and less chance of scratching.

[quote]
6. I don't believe in evolution.
You obviously have a bright and prosperous future ahead of you.

[quote]
7. I don't use the microphone.
You don't know how long that's gonna last.

Posted by Shade

So? You can do other things for the other 14 hours.

[quote]"Oh dear it is light outside and I want my battery to last! Dimming time
[quote=Vamp]Though the lowest setting is STILL brighter than the original DS.

Mmhmm.

My fingers are actually medium length, and pretty skinny. But I do have quite the grip. And as for the sylus, just slide up with your index finger then take out with your thumb. Simple. Also, my screens aren't scratched at all, except for when I've used the stylus a BIT too hard on the touch screen.

And no, I don't believe in evolution. Know why? Creation, and somebody I like to call God.

The best feature about the Lite is the fact that the buttons are squishy, and not clicky. These are technical terms.

Everything else is just tittivation.

And I was sure that the .jp site confirmed a black one, too?

Quoted post: Since when is 10 hours not enough?Since when is 10 hours not enough?

I fly a lot. I've run out of power quite a few times.

Quoted post: What's the big deal about the brighter screen? It's already really bright, and if I can see what I'm playing, in the dark, it's perfect.

Look at comparisons. It actually makes a big difference.

Quoted post: It's easy as it is.

Wrong. It causes cramps after an hour of useage and is just really awkward. not to mention it's heavy for a handheld.

Quoted post: Because, what, you want to carry around more than 1? What for?

Larger stylus.

Quoted post: Buttons are fine, and the clamshell keeps the screen(s) plenty safe.

But CAN be better. And the clamshell itself is prone to horrible scratches.

Quoted post: anybody who buys one and already has a fully functional DS is stupid.

The DS is a portable that's not that portable. Plus, I have tons of money to spend. So hey, it's all good.

Quoted post: And I was sure that the .jp site confirmed a black one, too?

Navy blue. Just looks black at certain angles I think

Okay. Hmm.

The normal DS is not uncomfortable to me. Seriously. It's fine. As to light levels - I have NEVER had a problem seeing my DS, even with reflection off something. I don't need a brighter light. And I don't know whether I need a longer battery - although it would rule.

Hmm. I don't know whether to get one or not, now.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=SomebodyRandom]I do have to agree with Shade. The Slim DS is sorta neat but it doesn't have any real additional functions. And I garuntee people will trade in or sell their DS's to get the Slim DS which is no upgrade.

It is an upgrade, doofus. Better screens, bigger stylus, more comfortable, smaller, better looking and a battery life that's twice as long. How isn't that an upgrade? Besides that, you don't have one yet, so if you were going to get one you'd be very stupid not to go for a DS Lite.

Posted by Shade

By no real additional functions, he meant that nothing new is being added. And don't say that a battery life that's twice as long is a new function. This is by no means on the same level as the GBA to SP upgrade. The SP had an internal battery, a backlit screen, and the clamshell design. All things that the GBA didn't have. There is nothing about the DS Lite that the normal DS doesn't have, besides the new holding space for the stylus, or whatever. And that's not even a big deal, so no, it's not worth it, IMO.

Posted by nich

Good point with the GBA to the SP, but, he still doesn't have the original. Why wouldn't you go for the upgrade (not a huge upgrade but an upgrade nontheless) for just 10 dollars more?

Posted by Shade

Because it's ten dollars, man. TEN DOLLARS. You have any idea how much money that was in the fifties?

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Shade]By no real additional functions, he meant that nothing new is being added. And don't say that a battery life that's twice as long is a new function. This is by no means on the same level as the GBA to SP upgrade. The SP had an internal battery, a backlit screen, and the clamshell design. All things that the GBA didn't have. There is nothing about the DS Lite that the normal DS doesn't have, besides the new holding space for the stylus, or whatever. And that's not even a big deal, so no, it's not worth it, IMO.

It's not as significant a jump from GBA to GBA SP, though. But pretty much everything has been upgraded, many things that were originally a problem.

Most people agree the original DS was fugly in person and that the Lite looks far better, and many people think it was less than comfortable with it's hard ridge around the edge, clicky D-pad and hard edged buttons that leave imprints from games like Mario Kart. The battery life, whilst vastly superior to PSP, still wasn't fantastic. 6 hours for 3D games is something that can and should be improved on. Also, a lot of people found it difficult to play games like Metroid because of the weight and size, which made it difficult to hold with one hand. Every single one of these things have been improved on. If that isn't an upgrade I don't know what the hell is.

Quoted post: Okay. Hmm.

The normal DS is not uncomfortable to me. Seriously. It's fine. As to light levels - I have NEVER had a problem seeing my DS, even with reflection off something. I don't need a brighter light. And I don't know whether I need a longer battery - although it would rule.

Hmm. I don't know whether to get one or not, now.

Sounds like you have no reason to get one.

Quoted post:
Also, a lot of people found it difficult to play games like Metroid because of the weight and size, which made it difficult to hold with one hand.

Very true. I just started playing the demo again yesterday, and found my hand getting tired. It's just unnecessarily heavy and wide. Not to mention brighter screens will really help the game since I found it a little too dark for my liking.

Quoted post: Very true. I just started playing the demo again yesterday, and found my hand getting tired. It's just unnecessarily heavy and wide. Not to mention brighter screens will really help the game since I found it a little too dark for my liking.

k, so I've deduced that the DS is a piece of uncomfortable ****. I can't properly hold the stylus AND use the D-Pad + Shoulder button effectively. My left hand kills, and my thumb is red and numb. I can't wait for the Lite.

Posted by Random

Ok well to answer what I ended up doing I purchased a GBA SP with a Brighter Backlit Screen. I figured my Birthday is around the time the DS Lite comes out so I'll just purchase one then and wait off and keep myself busy with a GBA SP. I purchased Tales of Phantasia which is really starting to bore me, FF Tactics Advanced which I haven't started yet, and Pokemon Emerald which I rather enjoy.

Quoting Vampiro: k, so I've deduced that the DS is a piece of uncomfortable ****. I can't properly hold the stylus AND use the D-Pad + Shoulder button effectively. My left hand kills, and my thumb is red and numb. I can't wait for the Lite.

You all do realise that the Lite will suffer from the same 'problem', right? The centre of gravity is still not where your hand will be supporting it, and so it'll still tilt away in the same fashion.

Quoted post: You all do realise that the Lite will suffer from the same 'problem', right? The centre of gravity is still not where your hand will be supporting it, and so it'll still tilt away in the same fashion.

That's not the problem, nor what causes the cramps. Not in my case anyways.

'Splain.

It's just the size of the system, really. It just makes it too awkward, especially with a game like MP:H. It's not that it's too heavy (which it is, but that's not such a big deal for me) or anything, it's just too wide and tall to properly grip. I can't squeeze the L-button quick enough AND control the D-Pad precisely.

Hmm. I can. Must be an individual thing. :)

Seems like quite a few people have the same problem as I do... os maybe you're just super awesome and the DS?

I don't find it hard to rest it on my knee or something if that ever happens - which is rare, true.

Yeah, that's what I've been doing. Still though, it doesn't save me from a sore thumb and hand. Hard buttons and awkward positioning isn't a good thing for me.

But I'm not really complaining. It doesn't stop me from enjoying the game. It just means I need to take a break every fifteen minutes or so.

Posted by Drewboy64

DS Lite = semen everywhere.