What kind of mp3 do you have?

Posted by Night Owl

I am considering buying an mp3 player but I want to know what you guys use or have and what you rate it.

Posted by Raptor

Moved to Computers.

I just got a 40 GB iPod three days ago. It's worth every penny.

Posted by Klarth

Original 5 gigabyte iPod. Saving up for/expecting a 40 gig one from [url="http://www.colorwarepc.com"]www.colorwarepc.com[/url] at some point, or maybe... Bleah, as long as it's read and shiny, it'd be good. Wouldn't mind a photo one.

My current mp3 is good enough for the amount of music I have right now, but unfortunately, the battery's doing what all the old ones do-- It's dying, so now I can only get four hours out of it on a single, full charge. Shame.

Posted by NegativeTrend

Kind of exactly like the other thread you made.

Posted by Hyper

Kinda :(

Funny how in the other one, someone commented on it being in the wrong board, but this one was moved here.

Posted by Night Owl

does anyone know the cheapest place to get an ipod?

Posted by Map42892

ebay, garage sales

Posted by Night Owl

thanxxx

Posted by thelaststand

i got the dell dj and its pretty nice, if your a little short on cash and dont feel like paying a 100 bux every yr. and a half or so for a battery replacement, i'd get the dj but if not then id say go for the 20gb ipod, my friend has one and its bad as crap

Posted by Night Owl

my sister has a pocket dj, but is it easy to put songs on?

Posted by sabre

[font=georgia][color=#ccff00]I got a

Posted by Night Owl

Alot of people say the Ipod's are to much, but if you think about it, the average person spends probably atleast 150$ on music and cd's so I think Ipod's are actually a good price.

Posted by sabre

I'm getting mine for free, anywho, so price doesn't really matter to me; it doesn't seem too unreasonable a price - even if it is for merely a piece of software which allows you to play stuff you've already paid for in a more convenient manner, it is extremely convenient to be able to carry around such an overwhelming music database.

Posted by Klarth

[quote=Sabredog]A really good friend of mine is going to be giving me his old iPod when he gets a new one, so I think I'm going to really enjoy that.

Sup gangsta fo'real :cool:

When it was new, the five gig dwarfed the competition of chip-based mp3 gizmos that were available at the time, as it was the first to integrate a hard drive. Saying that, I have about 700 6-minute tracks (on average) on mine, with space for roughly 300 or 400 more.

Posted by Raptor

Quoting Evanc00le0: Alot of people say the Ipod's are to much, but if you think about it, the average person spends probably atleast 150$ on music and cd's so I think Ipod's are actually a good price.

I believe the current MSRP of the new 60 GB model is still around $599, $200 more than the 40 GB model, so being a middle-class consumer, I opted for the 40 GB. I had 36 GB worth of mp3's on my notebook computer to transfer, so that worked out very well. As I add more music, I can delete from my iPod that which I rarely or never listen to, so I never run out of space. iTunes is excellent software. When you connect the iPod to your computer, the program can be set to automatically adjust the files on your iPod to match exactly what's on your computer playlist.

They can also double as a portable hard drive. I have backed up my entire digital photography collection to my iPod, and I still have room for more music.

Posted by Night Owl

ok, im getting one. O yea, my bad negative trend : (

Posted by AMD_FANBOY

I am getting an ipod shuffle on tuesday. They are cool and cheap ($99 for 512mb, $150 for 1GB) It can be used as a usb storage device also. I am getting the 512mb one. I do not care if it has no screen, I perfer my tunes in shuffle mode anyways. It is sexy looking also. I have 8.6 hours on music on itunes 4.7 right now, totals 481mb. That is plenty for me. Plus I get a cool lanyard ;) but I wish I could have a mini or somthing, but this is a good first step. http://www.apple.com/ipodshuffle.html

Posted by Night Owl

wow, cant forget how it looks sexy!

Posted by higbvuyb

The iPod shuffle looks ugly, and far too elongated. It's probably a generic mp3 player in a new case, with the screen covered with plastic. It's only going to sell because Apple tacked 'iPod' on the name.

Posted by sniper

I have an MP3 CD player, which I am more than happy with. Each CD can hold about ten standard CD's worth of MP3 files.

Posted by Burn

Yeah, the shuffle is ugly. I have an iPOD (only 20 GB) but it does the job and does it well. I find the battery can be annoying at times but that might be my fault. I don't think there is anything wrong with going for an iPOD but personally I would consider the new Napster deal.

The deal looks sweet with what $15 a month for unlimited music. I wonder about their selection but I am sure that will be adequate. Problem is, they don't work with iPODS.

Posted by Shin-Ra

Yesterday I bought a 40GB Creative Nomad Zen Xtra from Circuit City for $270 including tax. It's a great little machine and I haven't had any problems with it besides the lengthy initial transfer of about 30GB of music onto it last night.

Posted by AMD_FANBOY

I got my shuffle. It is sweet. Oh and you think it is ugly? Not to many of you around. I showed it to all my friends and they thought it was really cool. It is a great mp3 player. I do not need a screen anywho. It's sound quailty is and is said all over the net to be equal to a 4th gen full sized ipod. The sound is AWESOME. It comes with great software. If you are apple racists, go f off. Apple makes some very good things. Most people bash them for no reason. They are uneducated in the topic. "Well he says they suck so they must!" kind of crap. Go ahead and make lists about how you think they suck. I won't be reading them :). I would still take a PC, but mac's are not bad at all. Plus windows sucks. Linux is better. I know there are alot of little kids on here that are going to claim otherwise. "OMFG! WINDOWS CAME WITH MY PRE BUILT POS OEM GARBAGE...SO IT MUST BE GOOD! I AM REALLY GOOD WITH IT! I CAN USE PAINT SO :P!" I love my ipod shuffle. And nothing you say will make me have buyer's remorse. NOTHING. Oh yeah, bighubvl or whatever your name is, I hear people don't like you very well. And to Burn, think it is ugly? You make somthing better and try to sell it. We will then see what is "ugly".

Posted by higbvuyb

The shuffle is just an attempt by apple to make money off the iPod name. Sure, the iPod is a great mp3 player, but the shuffle sucks and is a ripoff. It does look ugly. It's too long. And any player can shuffle, the 'random music' idea is just a way for apple to cut costs by not using a screen, which is expensive.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

Quoting Shin-Ra: Yesterday I bought a 40GB Creative Nomad Zen Xtra from Circuit City for $270 including tax. It's a great little machine and I haven't had any problems with it besides the lengthy initial transfer of about 30GB of music onto it last night.

I had one of those, but a smaller version. It just up and broke. . . when I was running just broke. Made me sad :(

Posted by higbvuyb

Funny.
[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/mhusson/3253841/"]http://www.flickr.com/photos/mhusson/3253841/[/url]

Posted by Richaod

I've got a 40 GB iPod. Works nicely.

Also, if you ever want to copy songs to a friend's hard drive or restore music from your iPod, put an installer for the program PodUtil on your iPod. Just make sure to give PodUtil a high priority through the Task List whenever copying.

Posted by Apathetic

I have a mp3 cd player, each cd can hold up to 490 songs from what my friend said.

Posted by Klarth

[quote=Burn](only 20 GB)

"Only"?

Posted by Gollum

Quoting Shin-Ra: Yesterday I bought a 40GB Creative Nomad Zen Xtra from Circuit City for $270 including tax. It's a great little machine and I haven't had any problems with it besides the lengthy initial transfer of about 30GB of music onto it last night.

I've got a similar machine, but mine is a Creative Zen Touch 20GB. It freezes a lot, and it won't connect to my computer anymore, which makes me really mad that I didn't return it to the store right away. Now I'm going to have to mail it in sometime. :(

Posted by Night Owl

well Im probably going to get the psp, so can that hold mp3's and if so can it hold alot?

Posted by loony636

Irivers are the best! Ipods cannot compare with the iriver h320 or h340's features. Its awesome. It has an inbuilt microphone, analog record in, line out, headphone out, host USB port (this is for connecting digital cameras the USB sticks to copy the files off), device USB port (connecting to the computer), colour screen, the ability to look at movies, pictures and text documents, cool databasing that you can change easily and a built in FM-radio. It also comes with; a case, headphone extender, external microphone, USB adaptor (this is for plugging in the iRiver to USB drives and cameras), external battery pack and a FM-radio transmitter (I think I bought this seperately). It has a lot more features (the best of which being the colour screen) and a ton of accsesories! It is clearly superior!

The only problems that it has is the scrolling speen (it is slower than the ipod at scrolling through songs) and when you use the case it has no way to look at the screen or to press the buttons (you have to use the extender when you use the case).

Ipod shuffles are a joke. You can't select what song you want to listen to, you have to scroll through them until you find the one you want to listen to.

Quoting Higbvuby: The shuffle is just an attempt by apple to make money off the iPod name. Sure, the iPod is a great mp3 player, but the shuffle sucks and is a ripoff. It does look ugly. It's too long. And any player can shuffle, the 'random music' idea is just a way for apple to cut costs by not using a screen, which is expensive.

Creative Zens aren't that bad, but they still lack the colour screen.

Another problem with the Ipods is that it freezes. Becuase it has no 'off' button, you cannot turn it off if it freezes, which it does. Does everyone here also know about the ipod's battery problem? It happens after a year and a half of use. The Ipod battery stops holding charge no matter how long you charge it for. This forces you to buy another battery which cost around $100 AUS (thats about $80 US). Its a lot of money for something that cost you up to $650 AUS!

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

I have a Sony Discman which plays cds which hold up to 80 minutes of music. :)

Posted by Velvet Nightmare

I like my Sony MiniDisc player pretty well. They are about 70-100 bucks now, and hold about 40 songs per MiniDisc. The controls are really ****ed up on mine now though, as pushing forward now sends it in reverse.

The moral here: don't sit on your MP3 player.

Posted by drumsticks200

I got a a 6GB iPod mini

Posted by loony636

Where do you get a 6GB iPod mini. I thought they only came in 5GB sizes...Very interesting...

Just a question, how did Apathetic make a post? Here are his stats:

Apathetic

Reputation Power:

How can you post if you aren't logged in?

Posted by Richaod

Quoting loony636: Another problem with the Ipods is that it freezes. Becuase it has no 'off' button, you cannot turn it off if it freezes, which it does. Does everyone here also know about the ipod's battery problem? It happens after a year and a half of use. The Ipod battery stops holding charge no matter how long you charge it for. This forces you to buy another battery which cost around $100 AUS (thats about $80 US). Its a lot of money for something that cost you up to $650 AUS!

It's happened twice to me, as you know. Basically, I just let it lie there for about six hours until it ran out of batteries, and then just charged it again. It's a rare problem. Each time, I was going through songs too quickly in Shuffle (which is pretty often) and it just stuffed up.

By the way, iRivers are good. Fat though.

Posted by loony636

Its happened to you TWICE?!?!?!?!? That means you have spent $200 AUS that has already cost you a lot of money.

Posted by higbvuyb

Quoting loony636: Its happened to you TWICE?!?!?!?!? That means you have spent $200 AUS that has already cost you a lot of money.

Note that part when he said that he waited for it to run out of batteries and charged it again? that would indicate that the battereis were working.

he was obvously meaning that his iPod freezed twice.

Read the post.

EDIT: Batteries usually don't lose their capacity if you flip through songs too quickly.

Posted by loony636

Quoting higbvuyb: battereis

Quoting higbvuyb: he was obvously meaning that his iPod freezed twice.

You can't spell. But...Thanks for making that clear to me.

Posted by pc_gamer22

I have a ipod mini 6gb and a samsung yh-925 20gb. I love them both.

Posted by Night Owl

why do you have 2?

Posted by loony636

Maybe he keeps the 20gb one at home and uses the iPod mini when he goes out. That would almost make sense...

Almost.