Biggest Gaming Disappointments

Posted by JonMB

What are the biggest gaming disappointments you've had?

Nintendo DS
There is really nothing wrong with this system. It's great. But I just do not like the GAMES! The only game I like on it is Mario Kart DS. And the only thing I like in MKDS is online play, which is not great because of disconnecters and having to snake all the time to win.

Warioware Touched is a good diversion but not really my type of game. I might get Trauma Center and Ace Attorney so hopefully I will like them.

So I sold my DS last year, but I recently acquired another one for free. I'm considering selling it again, which I probably will soon. It's just weird, I love playing games on the GBA-SP but even playing the same game on the DS doesn't seem as fun to me.

Mario 64
I loved this game for the first few weeks, but after I got over the orgasmic fact that I was playing the latest technology of Mario in 3D, I started to hate this game mostly because of the camera.

Mario Party Advance
Well I got it for free so I can't complain too much, but this game seems pretty dull. I was going to sell it but it barely seems to be getting much on eBay. Maybe I'll keep it and play it once in a while, or repackage it and give it to my niece for her birthday. She loves Mario Party.

1080: Avalanche
Nowhere near as good as the original 1080. I got it for $10 new when it was still going for $50, so I was able to trade it back in and actually get more money than I paid for it.

Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life
Not a bad game by any means, but not as good as the PS1 or N64 version.

Posted by Klarth

Black & White 2
No skirmish? No multiplayer? Kind of takes away the point of sandbox gameplay.

Zelda: Twilight Princess
Over a year's worth of delays proves to be pretty ****ing disappointing.

Final Fantasy VII
The fact that everyone said it was ****ing amazing eventually coaxed me into playing it. It's wank. Don't touch it with a ten-foot pole.

Final Fantasy X
See above.

Posted by Demonblade

I can agree with everything except FF7.

Xenosaga---Just doesnt have that swallowing effect that all good RPG's have.

EQ2---Couldnt dig it for some reason...maybe cuz i was burnt out on WoW

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

WAY too many to list. Though the most recent would be Black. I like the game, and it's actually really fun, but otherwise, it's garbage.

Posted by Ant

The first one that came to mind for me was Animal Crossing. I heard a ****load of good things about. Played it for maybe 2 days for a few hours. Then never really picked it up again. I'm not the type of person to care for a personal character in my fake little house. :/

Honorable mentions go to Prince Of Persia and Spinix. Tons of hype, lackluster content.

Posted by Dexter

Perfect Dark Zero is the biggest recent disappointment for me. I'm still working my way through the single player mode, but defeating it has been more of a chore than an actual enjoyment. There are just too many annoying things about the game that causes me not to like it. Maybe I was expecting too much.

Besides the amusement I have been receiving through the multiplayer mode on Call of Duty 2, the entire 360 launch has been fairly disappointing. Hopefully Oblivion will fix things.

Quoted post: Perfect Dark Zero is the biggest recent disappointment for me. I'm still working my way through the single player mode, but defeating it has been more of a chore than an actual enjoyment. There are just too many annoying things about the game that causes me not to like it. Maybe I was expecting too much.

Yeah... I never did beat single-player. I just got really, really bored with it. I just ended up playing on Live or against bots.

Quoted post:
Besides the amusement I have been receiving through the multiplayer mode on Call of Duty 2, the entire 360 launch has been fairly disappointing. Hopefully Oblivion will fix things.

GRAW has already fixed it. Though I agree, it was pretty disappointing. Then again, so is every launch.

Posted by Dexter

The Nintendo 64 launch was amazing. Probably my favorite launch ever. Mario, Pilotwings, Wave Race, and Turok were all terrific games that I just couldn't stop playing. It was a huge step from the Super Nintendo and the four-player action took me to places I didn't think I would ever go.

Turok and Mario were the only games I enjoyed. And that's about average. Two games out of at least twelve that end up holding my interest.

Posted by Dexter

A game has never made me feel as though I was actually flying or gliding in the air like Pilotwings did. It was certainly one of the oddest gaming experiences I've ever had. Like watching Finding Nemo and occasionally feeling a little seasick.

Turok was scary! I was terrified of falling off the cliffs or being ripped apart by the clever dinosaurs. It was an intense journey that had me shaking and sitting on the edge of my beanbag. I remember my nephews would often be hiding behind the sofa, occasionally poking their heads out to see if it was safe to come out. :(

Posted by Linko_16

The first thing that comes to mind are games like Pokemon and Sonic, where the series pretty much turned to crap when they got TV shows. It pulled in a child audience that had to be appeased with games that merely complimented the TV show. Granted, Sonic was already kind of going downhill, but I really blame this for the destruction of Pokemon's image. The only series that seems to have survived it is Kirby, which, besides its TV show not being too successful anyway, still comes out with some awesome games that anyone can enjoy, not just dumb kids obsessed with an idiot box.

Posted by Demonblade

you are a lucky bastard vamp, i am certainly jealous of you. wish i had GRAW...or a 360 for that matter.

Posted by Zeta

Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance. I don't care if the graphics were some of the best for GBA at their time, the music hurt my ears, the castle was too bland, and the bosses were pathetic; I had a harder time with normal enemies.

Still a good game, but doesn't live up to the r0x0rs that is Circle of the Moon.

Posted by Crazy K

Driver 3 comes to mind. There was a lot of hype for the game and I could not wate to play it once it came out. And when it came out I was full of joy, but the story was way to short and that was disapoiting.

San Andreas is another. I do love the game but I think it was way to easy, GTA 3 is far more challenging then both GTA vc and San Andreas. I was disapointed in San Andreas because it was way to easy, and it was basically a remake of GTA VC and GTA 3 just with a different story and charecters.

Posted by boomstick

Way too many to list, but the first that comes to mind is Fable, as a game that was hyped as 'the best RPG ever' it didn't come remotely close, though it was a decent game.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

Chrono Cross. The "sequel" to what I believe is the finest RPG to date was nothing of the sort, scrapping the art design, storyline, characters, battle system, and fun of the original in favor of what appeared to be rejected Final Fantasy art, story, characters, and battle system. "As long as we advertise the game with nothing but the misleading title and a minute or so of the CG sequences, we can still sell a game that forces the player to concentrate on a tiny box of text in one corner of the screen instead of on the action." The defining event of sony's influence over Squaresoft, I think. I shall hate this game and all who worked on it for all eternity, and no one could give me a game I would like to play less. I try to accept and respect or at least ignore other people's opinions when they don't coincide with my own, but no one can ever tell me that they enjoyed this game and not be a filthy, filthy liar in my eyes.

Let's see...The closing of H20 Studios. If only they hadn't put all of their eggs in Aidyn Chronicles' basket! They made the best version of Tetris, ever! If The New Tetris was available on the Revolution's Virtual Console feature with online play enabled, it would be perfect. Aidyn Chronicles was ambitious and innovative, but severely flawed, sadly. That battle system would have been awesome in a working RPG, but so far only Future Tactics has taken it, and that game was far from perfect itself.

Posted by Demonblade

I didnt much care for Final Fantasy Chrystal Chronicals. I didnt play it much except for the few times with my brother, but with its debut back on nintendo...i felt it a bit lackluster.

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

Quoting Linko_16: The first thing that comes to mind are games like Pokemon and Sonic, where the series pretty much turned to crap when they got TV shows. It pulled in a child audience that had to be appeased with games that merely complimented the TV show. Granted, Sonic was already kind of going downhill, but I really blame this for the destruction of Pokemon's image. The only series that seems to have survived it is Kirby, which, besides its TV show not being too successful anyway, still comes out with some awesome games that anyone can enjoy, not just dumb kids obsessed with an idiot box.

I have to disagree on Pok

Quoted post: Zelda 1 and Metroid 1

Go back in time and play them when they were relatively new. Everything you complained about doesn't matter at all. But yeah, I disagree with you on those two games. The rest are purely opinion.

Well, I guess that does have something to do with it - I only got into video games around the PSX era, so everything I'm used to has been developed from then on. I'm not denying that they were such a breaktrough at the time.

What I'm saying, however, is that everybody raves about them purely because of nostalgic reasons. If you've never played them, by today's standards, they really aren't that good.

For example, look at Peter Jackson's King Kong movie, then watch the original. It pales in comparison to today's expectations. If someone had recommended it to you instead of the newer one, you'd be pissed.

Quoted post: What I'm saying, however, is that everybody raves about them purely because of nostalgic reasons. If you've never played them, by today's standards, they really aren't that good.

Zelda 1 is still as great today as it was back then. Metroid on the other hand... eh, it gave me a headache the last time I played it.

See, that's the weird thing. I really enjoyed Zero Mission - although that may have been because it held your hand all the way through. But despite havig two different versions of the NES one, I can't get into it.

I did recently buy the Zelda CE, though. I'll give it another crack.

Oh, that's another thing. Ocarina of Time never grabbed me as much as it seems to with everyone else. This has always confused me.

Quoted post: See, that's the weird thing. I really enjoyed Zero Mission - although that may have been because it held your hand all the way through. But despite havig two different versions of the NES one, I can't get into it.

That's because everything is clear in the game. From the sprites, to the objectives, to the objectives' locations. But yeah, I couldn't get into the original either when I went back and played the unlocked version in ZM. There's something about playing a great update that causes you to lose faith in the original.

Quoted post:
Oh, that's another thing. Ocarina of Time never grabbed me as much as it seems to with everyone else. This has always confused me.

That's because you suck. There's no other explanation.

Posted by JonMB

I don't like any Zelda game at all except for the original, and the original I kinda enjoy but I don't love it.

I wish I did like Zelda, because the new one looks awesome, but I don't think I'll enjoy it even if it is technically a great game.

I don't like any Metroid games. I hate backtracking.

I like old games but not for nostalgic reasons. I know some people do. I just actually prefer the gameplay style of those games. Balloon Fight is fun to play for 20 minutes or so, and Mario Bros. 3 still is great.

Mario Kart DS: Online
The actual game is great, but the online leaves a lot to be desired.

1. There are no penalties for quitters, so 85% of people quit when they are losing.
2. It can take many minutes to get into a game.
3. Friend codes don't always work properly. You may only have two friends and yet it still takes you 10-15 minutes to finally get in a game together.
4. No way to chat or a recent player to your friends list.

Animal Crossing: Wild World
Ugh. I thought online would save this game, but nope. I was really looking forward to this because I enjoyed the original for a few months, but after three days I hated this game.

Posted by Zeta

Quoting Wings: Oh, that's another thing. Ocarina of Time never grabbed me as much as it seems to with everyone else. This has always confused me.

Agree'd. Majora's Mask had a greater impact on me.

Posted by maian

Yes, Majora's Mask still impacts me way more to this day then Ocarina of Time, but that doesn't mean OOT isn't a completely amazing and revolutionary game. :) It did get me into Zelda after all. Just, when I try to play back through OOT, then through MM, MM is just a much more fun immersing experience. I never really seem to finish OOT.

Super Mario Sunshine was a pretty big dissapointment. Aside from having the same exact objectives as Mario 64 (red coins, shines, etc..) It was very short, and very easy, with a really lame perception of Bowser. :(

I would list more, but there's too many.

Posted by Unite

Final Fantasy cc
Final Fantasy tactics advanced

I know next item isn't a game but

gba + gc connective cables

Posted by Bebop

Halo 2. Speaks for itself really although it was expected when it's previous installment was a mediocre over-rated shooter. I was foolish to think bungie would acknowladge, let alone fix, this games flaws anf faults.

Posted by Big Boss

I'm glad we're not limited to just the games that disappoint us, but also events that have occurred in the industry.

Nintendo GameCube

The first couple of years in the life of Nintendo's attractive indigo box (or black, or orange, or platinum...) looked promising in terms of what Nintendo and third parties would deliver for the system, at least when compared to the under-supported N64. With The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker's new look, Metroid Prime's daring first-person portrayal of Samus, and the introduction of a brand new franchise in the form of Pikmin, it looked like Nintendo was finally going back to the NES days of establishing new characters and gameplay mechanics.

Sadly, looking back it's easy to see that's where the innovation stopped. Third party support remained underwhelming and Nintendo stuck too close to its roots to deliver anything that was both new and fun. Even the few great third-party exclusives it got from companies like Capcom eventually found their way to other systems. Today, all that's truly keeping the system alive is the wait for The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. Surely, Nintendo fans are raving about the Revolution just as much as they did when the GCN was going to come out, and their predictions surely put the system as a success... but people failed to realize Nintendo isn't the only company that needs to profit from its system in order to succeed. Let's hope next time around there are many good exclusive games to keeps consumers happy, and many units of the system sold to increase the user base that would attract third parties to the console.

Take-Two stealing EA's rights to publish games using the MLB and MLBPA licences

EA made the best baseball games around. There were a couple of years during the transition from Triple Play to MVP when EA Sports was going through a slump, but they finally went back to making the best baseball game in town. BUT, it all went to hell after they acquired exclusive rights to the NFL license. Take Two, completely losing the ground it had gained with Sega and ESPN's 2K games, acted like a jealous ex-girlfriend and stole the MLB license... only from EA. Sure, no other third-party developer could make baseball games from that point on, but by the time the deal was made Acclaim and 3DO had gone down-under, so All-Star Baseball and High Heat Baseball were no longer consequential. That left EA alone as the sole third-party company currently making baseball games before the deal, and therefore the only company that would suffer from it. OUCH.

Microsoft had stopped making sports games altogether, but Sony was slowly getting better with every iteration of their baseball franchise, culminating in this year's critically-acclaimed MLB: The Show for the PS2 (and finally getting back to the quality they set for themselves with the MLB games for the original PlayStation). Now we'll wait and see if Take Two can deliver a better baseball experience than both Sony and EA ever could... but sadly, I don't think either one can compete with what the MVP series used to deliver.

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (N64)

While Majora is a good game, the driving force behind my purchase for it on release day was the excellent The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, and no way was MM as fun, engaging, original or entertaining as OoT was. The first time I played it I got both annoyed by the 3-day limit and so bored by the first temple that I put the game away for over a year before picking it up again and playing it all the way from start to finish. To me, MM is just a big sidequest, and it shouldn't have been promoted as a sequel to the superior OoT.

Street Fighter: The Movie (PS)

I've said this before, but I can't skip it in any of the "disappointing" threads made. SFM was a GREAT game. Many people will disagree with me on this, but I'm guessing it's because they can't get past the hilarious concept of a game based on a movie based on a game, or because the gameplay had so many little, unique and original quirks to its gameplay to set it apart from common Street Fighter fare that some fans of the series were reluctant to give the game a fair chance.

Now why is the above game disappointing? Because the praise goes to the original arcade game, not the crappy home versions.

Capcom decided to restructure the gameplay of SFM from its unique and interesting concept to a slow version of the classic Street Fighter gameplay we were all accustomed to by then when they released it for the PlayStation. However, they did add choppy animation, cardboard-cutout-looking characters, and removed a lot of the cool moves that made the arcade version great. Why they changed the gameplay of the original I'll never know. You'd figure Capcom would know that the only people who'd bother with the home version would be those that liked the arcade game in the first place. Instead, they alienated even the few fans of the original. Boo!

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Big Boss][FONT=trebuchet ms][COLOR=yellowgreen]
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (N64)

While Majora is a good game, the driving force behind my purchase for it on release day was the excellent The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, and no way was MM as fun, engaging, original or entertaining as OoT was. The first time I played it I got both annoyed by the 3-day limit and so bored by the first temple that I put the game away for over a year before picking it up again and playing it all the way from start to finish. To me, MM is just a big sidequest, and it shouldn't have been promoted as a sequel to the superior OoT.[/COLOR][/FONT]

The rest is down to opinion, but I really don't see how OoT is more original than Majora's Mask. OoT builds upon existing Zelda lore, Majora's Mask is based around gigantic moon with a face hovering above a bizarre parallel dimension with completely new time and form-changing mask based gameplay mechanics. I don't get it.

Posted by Decado

Every tomb raider after 3.
Tekken tag... bleh
Call of duty 2 (multiplayer hasnt changed at all)
Daikatana...

Posted by Mystic Hero

For the sake of my current time I will list but one for now:

GCN

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

At first I heard good things about it being the first Zelda game released on the GCN. Much talk was going on at the time saying that it would be worth the buy and truely a fun game. Unfortunately, it was stupid and retarded. It was the biggest waist of $50 I spent on a game ever in my opinion. At least I got Master Quest with my pre-order. The game was incredably short and incredably easy. The only thing that made it "long" was going aroudn collecting all the stupid little extra things and completeing the Nintendo Art Gallery. Oh big woop. I ran throguh the game in about 4 or 5 days and I think I had a total playtime between 5 to 10 hours. I liked to explore a little so it took a little onger to complete. I get to Ganon thinking it would be challenging, but I woop his fat a$$ so easyily without so much as taking one hit. Not even Ganon satisfied my need for a good challenge. I went back on the extra second run through and did that with 3 hearts and no deaths with the least amount of upgrades. It was just such a bore. :(

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting Speedfreak: The rest is down to opinion, but I really don't see how OoT is more original than Majora's Mask. OoT builds upon existing Zelda lore, Majora's Mask is based around gigantic moon with a face hovering above a bizarre parallel dimension with completely new time and form-changing mask based gameplay mechanics. I don't get it.

OoT innovated in the area of 3D combat with its targeting system, of which a bunch of games still copy to this day, as well as pretty much the 3D action/adventure genre.

Yeah, OoT kinda revolutionized an entire genre, while MM just added new mechanics and storylines.

Posted by Random

Top 10 Most Disappointed Games For myself:

10. Halo 2 Campaign (XBox)
9. GTA San Andreas (XBox/PS2/PC)
8. Kameo (Xbox360)
7. Legend of Zelda Windwaker (GC)
6. Metroid Prime 2 (GC)
5. Metroid Prime (GC)
4. Final Fantasy X (PS2)
3.Raw VS Smackdown 2006 (PS2)
2.Sudeki (Xbox)
1.Legend of Zelda Majoras Mask (N64)
Top Ten Favorites:

10.Gunstar Heroes (Sega Genesis/GBA)
9. Fable: Lost Chapters (Xbox)
8. Star Wars KOTOR II (Xbox)
7. Legend of Zelda LTTP (SNES)
6. Final Fantasy Tactics (PSone)
5. Halo (Xbox)
4. Star Wars KOTOR (Xbox)
3. Legend of Zelda OOT (N64/GC)
2. Final Fantasy VII (PSone)
1. Breath of Fire III (PSone)

Quoted post: 6. Metroid Prime 2 (GC)
5. Metroid Prime (GC)

malarky

Posted by Prince Shondronai

Indeed. Unless you bought them both at the same time, what more got you down in Metroid Prime 2 that you weren't already dissappointed with in the first game?

Posted by Pit

Quoting Vampiro: malarky

No, see, somebody random compares Metroid Prime to Halo. So the mentallity behind it was

"Why doesn't it have multiplayer or control like an FPS title"

Posted by GameMiestro

My biggest dissapointments were mostly moments in gaming, not the games themselves.

4. Finding out that there is no reward for beating Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga. No hidden areas, no special moves, no new challenges. Nothing! Not even a little icon by your file name to show that you beat the final boss! That was pretty dissapointing for a Nintendo game...

3. Finally getting Marathon, after years of waiting, and discovering you need a super computer to have even moderate graphics. When a Doom like game pwns your friends 2 gigahertz laptop, you know something is wrong.

2. Advance Wars: Dual Strike. I was really looking forwards to this game... but I quickly realized that the AI absolutely blows. They follow a preset path for any map, and have next to no individuality between CO's. Not only that, the games mechanics can make the game move at a snails pace... carefully placed rockets on big money maps can easily create hour long stalemates. Yet I still play it, because the ability to create new maps, and the huge amount of preloaded ones keeps the game interesting. If it wasn't so dang slow, I wouldn't feel so dissapointed...

1. Unreal Tournament 2. Seriously. The game of the year edition was a heck of a lot better.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Big Boss][FONT=trebuchet ms][COLOR=yellowgreen]OoT innovated in the area of 3D combat with its targeting system, of which a bunch of games still copy to this day, as well as pretty much the 3D action/adventure genre.[/COLOR][/FONT]

Oh hell, that's hardly fair. If you were expecting a leap of the same caliber as the leap to 3D then no bloody wonder you were disappointed. It was a sequel based on the same engine, and should've been anticipated as such. If you were expecting another OoT, like me, you would've been pleasantly surprised.

EDIT: Wow, people are retarded. This thread is about disappointments, not games you flat-out didn't like. If you were expecting all these franchises you already don't like to suddenly get better with a new game then you're a complete idiot, frankly.

Posted by JonMB

Quoting Speedfreak: If you were expecting all these franchises you already don't like to suddenly get better with a new game then you're a complete idiot, frankly.

That really depends. I've never liked Resident Evil but RE4 is great.

Posted by GameMiestro

Oh, I forgot a really big disappointment- discovering A. that the European demo of Metroid Prime: Hunters is easier (or American gamers just suck) than the American version, and B. I could not use my Survivor high score as a world record because the European version has a high score limit of 99999. Blasted Europeans...

Really? I didn't know that. ****.

I wasn't going to get the game because the demo was too easy. This has piqued my interest. Although whether getting both it and Tetris is a good idea, I don't know.

Posted by Dragner

1: FinalFantasy X
2: FinalFantasy X2
3: FinalFantasy XI
4: StarOcean: Tell the end of time

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=JonMB]That really depends. I've never liked Resident Evil but RE4 is great.

There are exceptions, but other than yours none here so far.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Big Boss]

Quoted post: No, see, somebody random compares Metroid Prime to Halo. So the mentallity behind it was

"Why doesn't it have multiplayer or control like an FPS title"

WHY ISNT THIS HALOZ 2 LOL!?

Good point though.

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting Bebop: I don't get it.

You should, because I didn't name its lack of originality as the sole reason of why MM was a disappointment. It is its lack of originality coupled with the rest of the stuff I mentioned that together made it a disappointment. If it was just as fun (or more) as OoT, which it wasn't; had as good a story as OoT, which it didn't; was as epic and engaging as OoT, which it wasn't, but was still unoriginal... I'd hardly be disappointed. All these together make Majora's Mask an unworthy sequel to the better OoT, not just the fact that it is not original.

Posted by Linko_16

Quoting Dragner: 3: FinalFantasy XI

I liked FFXI. The only other MMORPG I've tried was WoW, and that was way worse.

I should probably mention, like Big Boss did, recent GameCube action. Not a whole lot of great titles lately.

Posted by D.J Cat

The only game I can think of that really was disapointing for me was Metroid Prime 2.
It just seemed too...Dark and restricted or something.
It did really pick up later in the game though.

Still not a bad game just not up the the incredibly well designed Metroid Prime.

For a disapointing moment, when EA bought out Westwood studios. :(
STILL waiting for Red Alert 3 and if we do get it I doubt it'll compare...