Creating CD image files

Posted by Richaod

Does anyone know how to create an image file (.mds, .iso, whatever) from a folder on your hard drive rather than directly from a CD? I've got a CD that's ridiculously scratched and is impossible to make an image from directly, so I was wondering if I could copy the files from it to my hard drive and then create the image...

Any help would be appreciated; I need to return the CD as soon as possible too. Thanks.

Posted by Trigger

If the CD is scratched and unable to read data properly, the chances are the same problem will occur when you copy the files from the CD to the hard drive. The computer has to read the disc at some point. If you're still thinking of trying to do so, then go ahead and give a program called [URL="http://www.undisker.com/"]Undisker[/URL] a go.

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Trigger: If the CD is scratched and unable to read data properly, the chances are the same problem will occur when you copy the files from the CD to the hard drive. The computer has to read the disc at some point. If you're still thinking of trying to do so, then go ahead and give a program called [URL="http://www.undisker.com/"]Undisker[/URL] a go.

About an hour too late... But thanks anyway, I can put this program to good use.

Posted by JonMB

An hour too late? What sort of time limit did you have?

Posted by Richaod

Quoting JonMB: An hour too late? What sort of time limit did you have?

A library-returning-CD was overdue kind of time limit. :P

It was the game Discworld Noir, and as I'm a huge Terry Pratchett fanboy I kind of wanted to play it. The CDs could install but not play the game correctly; they were too scratched.

Never mind, I'm over it.

Posted by higbvuyb

Uhh, as in he already solved the question an hour ago. Oh yeah, get some brasso and polish the scratches off. Since dics are made of polycarbonate, like ipods, and it removes scratches on ipods, it should work. The disc will be about 1/100 mm thinner, but who cares?

Posted by JonMB

Quoting higbvuyb: Uhh, as in he already solved the question an hour ago.

Oh he did? You should tell him that. He thinks he had to return it to a library. :bounce2:

Posted by Trigger

[quote=Richaod]About an hour too late...
Perhaps you should go to the effort of editing your post or signifying you no longer need help, or mention that you needed a quick-answer when you made the thread. We're not mind readers and we can't tell when our help and advice is suddenly "too late" to be posted.

[quote=Higbvuyb]Uhh, as in he already solved the question an hour ago. Oh yeah, get some brasso and polish the scratches off. Since dics are made of polycarbonate, like ipods, and it removes scratches on ipods, it should work. The disc will be about 1/100 mm thinner, but who cares?
How ironic that you attempt dismally to make Jon look stupid when Richaod had already answered his question in a way that he was asking for. Even after that, you go to the effort of providing another "solution," even though help is no longer being asked for. Didn't you read your own words when you said, "Uhh, as in he already solved the question an hour ago"? Stop posting just to try and display your knowledge and then belittle others when they merely ask a question that is perfectly valid.

Richaod never specified that he no longer needed help in the initial post, and never came back when his problem no longer existed to tell us that the thread was pointless. Jon had a right to be curious and ask the question. If you consider him ignorant or stupid for asking that question, you are just as ignorant and stupid for answering Richaod's question even after you made it clear you had read that advice was no longer being asked for. Don't try and attempt to use the "I was saying it for future reference or in case others wonder the same thing" excuse, either.

Posted by higbvuyb

Quoting Trigger: How ironic that you attempt dismally to make Jon look stupid when Richaod had already answered his question in a way that he was asking for. Even after that, you go to the effort of providing another "solution," even though help is no longer being asked for. Didn't you read your own words when you said, "Uhh, as in he already solved the question an hour ago"? Stop posting just to try and display your knowledge and then belittle others when they merely ask a question that is perfectly valid.
Wrong. Shut the **** up, instead of talking about things you don't understand. By the way, here are the facts.
1. I knew it was a library CD, so doing something potentially damaging to it is idiotic.
2. What I suggested has a probability of damaging the CD. Obviously, I wasn't being serious.
3. Not all polycarbonates are the same, and obviously, if the scratches are too deep (like here) then it won't work.

[quote]Richaod never specified that he no longer needed help in the initial post, and never came back when his problem no longer existed to tell us that the thread was pointless. Jon had a right to be curious and ask the question. If you consider him ignorant or stupid for asking that question, you are just as ignorant and stupid for answering Richaod's question even after you made it clear you had read that advice was no longer being asked for. Don't try and attempt to use the "I was saying it for future reference or in case others wonder the same thing" excuse, either.

What Richaod said implies that the problem was solved, and yes, returning it to the library did solve it in a way. However, I actually typed my post after JonMB's first post, but it obviously did not work properly. So, you're wrong. I think you should shut the **** up unless you actually know what you're talking about.

Also, I tried to edit my post after I found out that Richaod posted before me, but it didn't work.

Posted by Trigger

[QUOTE=higbvuyb]Wrong. Shut the **** up, instead of talking about things you don't understand.
Aye, the simple concept of an hour late post is truly complex and beyond anyone but your comprehension. :rolleyes:

[quote]1. I knew it was a library CD
We didn't and therefore you're hypocritical for trying to make Jon appear stupid over something Richaod hadn't mentioned. As I said, we aren't mind readers. My post wasn't even debating what your advice was, I merely said it was ridiculous of you to give any kind of advice, when you tried to flame Jon about the "hour late" issue.

Give up and stop insulting anything with a username just to try and hold some kind of argument, as flimsy as those arguments may be.

Posted by JonMB

Quoting higbvuyb: returning it to the library did solve it in a way.

His goal was to create an image file. He was not able to create the image file in time. Mission failed, unless giving up on a problem is a way to solve it, but that seems odd to me...

"Oh, a meteor is coming towards Earth! What do we do?!"

"Just give up."

"Okay, problem solved!"

Heh, I'm just playing around.

Hey Rich, since it was from a library, are you going to rent it again?

Posted by higbvuyb

Quoting Trigger: Aye, the simple concept of an hour late post is truly complex and beyond anyone but your comprehension. :rolleyes:
Well, maybe for you.

Quoted post: We didn't and therefore you're hypocritical for trying to make Jon appear stupid over something Richaod hadn't mentioned. As I said, we aren't mind readers. My post wasn't even debating what your advice was, I merely said it was ridiculous of you to give any kind of advice, when you tried to flame Jon about the "hour late" issue.

Incorrect. I didn't try to make anyone look stupid in this thread. You're the only one who's looking stupid right now.

[quote]Give up and stop insulting anything with a username just to try and hold some kind of argument, as flimsy as those arguments may be.

How can I give up something I haven't started? You have, though. I didn't flame anyone either. You're the one flaming, so shut the **** up.

Quoted post: His goal was to create an image file. He was not able to create the image file in time. Mission failed, unless giving up on a problem is a way to solve it, but that seems odd to me...

"Oh, a meteor is coming towards Earth! What do we do?!"

"Just give up."

"Okay, problem solved!"

No, this is different. Because, in RIchaod's case, there is no more problem because the source of the problem is gone. In your case, the meteorite is still coming at you.

Posted by Richaod

[quote=Richaod]I need to return the CD as soon as possible too.
Hi. Oh, and I actually had no access to a computer between the return of the CD and the posting of the thread.

[quote=JonMB]Hey Rich, since it was from a library, are you going to rent it again?
If possible.

ANYWAY. I appreciate the help and I'm sorry if I wasted 10 minutes of your collective lives because I couldn't make it clear enough that I was in a rush. Lock thread plz.