1.) 64DD
2.) N64 modem
3.) Expansion Pak
4.) 64Disk module
5.) Telephone connection
6.) N64 mouse
7.) 64Disk
8.) Capture module

After the N64 came out, that Nintendo discovered that they had made a mistake. Their carts could only hold 128 Megabits (16 Megabytes) while Sony's Playstation games could hold up to 650 Megabytes per CD. CDs were cheaper than
cartridges, and games were not always limited to one single CD. Nintendo tried to rectify the situation by releasing the N64 DD. The
games would be on a 512 Megabit disk (64 Megabytes, four times more than
expected from a cartridge) and would be cheaper to make than CDs. This is pretty much history repeating itself, as this situation parallels with 1986 when Nintendo released the FDS because Cartridges were expensive. Anyhow this ended up not comming out until 1998, and it was released in Japan only. Nintendo originally was going to release The Legend of Zelda and Mother 3, plus a Mario Paint series on this system, but I believe only the Mario Paint series was released, as Mother 3 was scrapped, and The Legend of Zelda: OOC was released on a new 256 Megabit cartridge (32 Megabyte). When it was released in Japan, it was not very popular, and shortly after the development stopped. The main reason for this was to make some massive RPG's for the N64, but this did not end up happening.

The only games released in Japan were

F-Zero X Expansion Kit

Japan Pro-Golf Tour 64

Kyojin no Doshin 1

Kyojin no Doshin: Kaihou Sensen

Mario Artist: Communication Kit

Mario Artist: Paint Studio

Mario Artist: Polygon Studio

Mario Artist: Talent Studio

Randnet Browser Software

Sim City 64

As for the accesories,

The N64 Mouse was for Mario Paint, (just like for the SNES)

The Capture module, it had special connectors where you could plug cameras, microphones and video cassetes so you could capture images and sounds forthe Mario Artist game series.

As for the modem, this was made by Randnet. It was for the Golf, and Mario Artist games, and was meant for others. I believe this online service was closed...

Anyhow the only accessories meant for the N64 DD that made it out to the US were the Expansion pack, the N64/GB transfer Pack and the Voice recognition controler.

It is a shame that this never came out to the US, although I can see why. It was more complicated then buying Sony Playstation games. So there you have it. There were other games supposed to come out for the N64 DD, but never did. They were either scrapped, released on cartridge, or on the GCN.

Posted by D.J Cat

If the 64DD came out worldwide and had a decent ammount of support it would have been great.

I really want to play Sim City 64, F-Zero Expansion Kit (make your own tracks! ) and the Mario Paint games.
From what I saw of the Mario paint ones you could do some pretty great things.

And as far as I know the Master Quest for Ocarina of Time came out for the 64DD....

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting D.J Cat: If the 64DD came out worldwide and had a decent ammount of support it would have been great.

I really want to play Sim City 64, F-Zero Expansion Kit (make your own tracks! ) and the Mario Paint games.
From what I saw of the Mario paint ones you could do some pretty great things.

And as far as I know the Master Quest for Ocarina of Time came out for the 64DD....

Yeah, I was looking and I saw some screenshots for Sim City 64.

As you can see, this game had better graphics than Sim City 2000, which was released for the N64 as well (only in Japan). I bet is like the original Sim City for SNES in that it has more Nintendo based stuff.

You are right about the Mario Paint being to do awesome stuff. That video capture unit would be awesome, it would be better than in the original Mario paint where you made animated shorts with music.

Posted by Foxy McCloud

I wonder if it would have become another 32x had it been released in the States.

Posted by Mixhael

Woah, that thing looks amazing. Great informative thread. I need to get that thing and the games that come with it someday.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Mixhael: Woah, that thing looks amazing. Great informative thread. I need to get that thing and the games that come with it someday.

Yeah, I have actually seen the N64DD on Ebay once. I can't remember the price, but it was similar to that of an FDS, the price that is.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

Yeah, it's a shame it wasn't released. I would have purchased it.