Women in gaming.

Posted by basterd

I recently broke up with my g/f and the only reason why I liked her because we played video games together,now I'm looking for a new woman, How many of you think that the gaming world is male dominated?, Yes you hear about women gaming tournys but you dont see that many woman at gamestop or EB you might see little prissys buying a barbi game. so do you think more women should be gameing or leave them out?.

Posted by Lord of Spam

If the only reason you liked her was that she played games, you've got some LOW standards.

Gaming is male dominated; statistics prove it. I'm not saying that girls cant be good at games (loving nes queen proves that), its just that most tend not to care, or view it as childish.[/color]

Posted by GameMiestro

The main cause of the lack of women gamers is the women themselves, like LoS was talking about.

Posted by Linko_16

I know some woman gamers, and not just "lol i lik mario prty" ones. I can understand your previous girlfriend, as it is kind of cool when you can share a hobby like that.

Posted by Demonblade

I agree with everything said thus far. Ive never been with a woman genuinely loves video games...most of them just watch for an hour or two, then let you know they are getting bored.

Posted by Poco

Er, my boyfriend and i love to cuddle after maro kart, but that's off topic!

Yeah, it is pretty male dominated, but go play puppy sim on the Ds and chicks will love you.

Posted by Azure Wolf

If you'd asked me this a coupl years ago, i'd probobly say that it was male dominant. But with recent attitude and behavioral changes in teenagers through recent years i'd have to disagree with that now. I know many girls who get real into the games they're playing and those whose fandom far surpases mine.
It's acctually quite scary, because I live off video games and anime....

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Girls suck at games.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Azure Wolf: If you'd asked me this a coupl years ago, i'd probobly say that it was male dominant. But with recent attitude and behavioral changes in teenagers through recent years i'd have to disagree with that now. I know many girls who get real into the games they're playing and those whose fandom far surpases mine.
It's acctually quite scary, because I live off video games and anime....

Numbers wise, its still a male dominated field. Why do you think that so amny games are filled with nothing but boobs? Cuz game companies know who they are selling for.

Posted by Moogs

Quoting Vampiro: Girls suck at games.

How True, How True, How True that is.

Posted by Roger Smith

Gamer girls rock, pure and simple.

Posted by Shin-Ra

I've met the type of women who will sit down and play Silent Hill all night or other ones that'll beg to watch you play an RPG. For the most part, they've been cool as hell and generally attractive -- just to break the 'THEY ONLY PLAY VIDEO GAMES BECAUSE THEY'RE FAT AND UGLY' idea. So it's really not based on gender at all, or stereotypes for that matter, just people's personal taste and interests. Still, someone said it's a bad idea just to date a girl based on this, and this is true if you're going to be in a serious relationship. If not, for ****'s sake have fun and find people with similar interests.

I have to admit that video games as a whole are in fact aimed towards a male audience and -- strictly speaking in numbers -- is dominated by males. Go figure.

Posted by Crazy K

[Quote=Roger Smith]Gamer girls rock, pure and simple.

I agree with you on that.

But anyways I agree with LoS about video gaming being male dominated, but im sure that the girl gamers will grow in population in the near future. And yeah I do know of some girls in my school who play video games.

Posted by Trigger

The gaming industry is male oriented, which is fine by me considering that 98% of all games that I play and enjoy are the male-oriented ones. I happen to be fortunate enough to be in a serious relationship and have that someone be interested in the same games as me. He gets a kick out of the fact I play games, and the fact that I encourage more gameplay or for him to log into World of Warcraft with me.

Personally, I'm happy if little girls want to swoon over guys who play Nintendo Puppies on their DS, or classify their favourite game as the Mary-Kate and Ashley's shopping mall game. That leaves room for the more serious gamers to play the real games as opposed to air-headed bimbos who play the game because they think it makes them look slightly cooler. As for you, Basterd, I wouldn't be so concerned about trying to find a new woman - with that kind of writing abilities, I doubt any real woman would be interested in you.

Your best bet is to play those cute little puppy games for the DS, like Poco suggested. The best you're only ever going to do, especially with your reasons, is find yourself a naïve, jailbait, air-headed girl who likes the colour pink and thinks the new pink [URL="http://www.phonemag.com/images/uploads/motorola/pink_razr_tmo1.jpg"]Motorola Razr V3[/URL] is 'awesome' and 'cute' by saying, "That's hot." They'll probably buy one too, because it matches their clothes, purse and nails!

Quoted post: As for you, Basterd, I wouldn't be so concerned about trying to find a new woman - with that kind of writing abilities, I doubt any real woman would be interested in you.

Second zing! of the day.

Posted by Zac

barbie games are awesome, don't you agree linko_16?

Posted by Raptor

Girls shouldn't be playing video games. It might distract them too much from doing an optimal job with the laundry.

Posted by Kodachi

Quoting Vampiro: Girls suck at games.

I have a black belt in King of Fighters. :mad2:

Posted by Klarth

Only time I can remember a remotely-attractive woman showed an interest in gaming was over half-term when my brother and I were addicted to Fable. His girlfriend kept reprimanding us for slaughtering everyone.

Good times.

Posted by Fate

I feel more connected with boys when it comes to games, though I'm nowhere near as competitive. I like watching my boyfriend play RE4, even though I've played that game through about eight times. I prefer co-op games when I have the person in the same room as me, but when it's on Live, I like the head-to-head combat.

Boys are better to play with, I think. I get a kick out of seeing shocked faces at my absolute feminism combined with piratey swearing.
:)

Posted by Lord of Spam

Thats another reason why there might be an apparenlt lack of female gamers that I hadnt thought of: competitiveness. Playing games against people requires a much more competetive nature which most women lack. This isnt to say that there arent plenty of girls playing games on their own. Lets just say in the years that I've been playing CS, I remember hearing one female voice over a mike.

Posted by Fate

For some reason I always feel compelled to tell people my gender on Live. I don't want them to go easy on me, but I just get this weird feeling that I should let them know I'm a girl and not a feminine twelve-year-old.

I'm only good at competing when I compete with someone not in the same room as me. It gets me nervous.

Quoted post: I have a black belt in King of Fighters.

Pff, how about being decent with a not so ****ty game? Plus, I'm a guy. No matter how good you are, I'm better by default. It's just the way nature made us.

Quoted post: For some reason I always feel compelled to tell people my gender on Live. I don't want them to go easy on me, but I just get this weird feeling that I should let them know I'm a girl and not a feminine twelve-year-old.

Because you know guys will do one of two things: Take it easy on you because girls suck at game, or take it easy on you because it's a girl and she might be hawt.

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting Fate: I'm only good at competing when I compete with someone not in the same room as me.

Tell me about it. :*

I'm lucky that I have her. She plays as much videogames as I do, and she's hot... but that isn't the norm. In my college, there are six degrees that deal with the entertainment industry, and the male-to-female ratio is 500 to 1, with Game Design & Development being the one with the least number of females. I've been here a little over a year, and I can only recall no more than 6 girls that are still in the program. Surely the number of females playing games is increasing, but we won't see any major change that will balance out male and female players in our lifetime. The difference is still too great, and it's easy to know where girl gamers can usually be found (WoW, Barbie games, DDR, etc..).

Posted by Aesthetic

Although it's true that the gaming world is male-oriented (and dominated), there are always a few girls that you could find anywhere who absolutely love playing video games. As for me, I probably would've gotten much more into playing them if I was able to buy/rent the games that sounded interesting to me at the time, but since the only games that were allowed in my household were ones that my family would be willing to play (or at least, say they would), I grew up with all Mario, Tony Hawk and racing games. Not that I'm bashing Mario, but the lack of introduction to complex games with an actual storyline hindered my ability to gain much interest in them as the years went by.

Still, I'm sure that could change with a bit of help from my gaming friends.

Posted by Mystic Hero

Quoting Vampiro:

Because you know guys will do one of two things: Take it easy on you because girls suck at game, or take it easy on you because it's a girl and she might be hawt.

Out of the live games I have played, taking it "easy" on girls doesn't happen to much. Competitive play has nothing to do with gender to me and the people I play with. You are either good or you are not, to test that we all play at our best, it's the easiest way to find out. I don't like people that are sexest, but hey that's just me.

Posted by Dragner

I think the number of Female gamers is on the rise. My girlfriend and most of her friends (all girls) love to play video games, and are really good at them. Its not as bad for girls to be into "nerdy" things anymore so I think more of them are welling to give it a try than before, and some find that its really fun and like it.

Posted by Dog

i never met a chick that plays video games. and i dont think most do.

but then again, i could be wrong.

Quoted post: Out of the live games I have played, taking it "easy" on girls doesn't happen to much. Competitive play has nothing to do with gender to me and the people I play with. You are either good or you are not, to test that we all play at our best, it's the easiest way to find out. I don't like people that are sexest, but hey that's just me.

Everything I've said in this thread has been a joke :(

Posted by Fate

No doubt the numbers are growing, but it's really rare to see a really attractive chick into all that harcore gaming stuff. I mean, finding a girl playing WoW isn't really something that turns heads. Had I remained the way I was in my childhood, I would just be another "fat gamer chick."

Posted by basterd

Well thanks for the feedback lol. Ok we all no a few women in gaming and I was watching true life on mtv and there was gamer chicks. I just wish there were more chicks to take over the sport, I started a LAN party and only 1 chick showed up and she wanted to play the stupidest game. and I didnt like her just for playing games there were other reasons, if you get what I mean lmao.

Posted by JonMB

Trigger is a female and made an awesome post. I'm in love. Well, a very shallow anonymous forum love, anyway.

There are lots of girls who enjoy video games, and if your next girlfriend isn't into them you can try introducing her to "girl friendly" games like Mario Party, Harvest Moon, or Animal Crossing. With time she may grow to like other games.

Posted by Linko_16

Quoting Zac: barbie games are awesome, don't you agree linko_16?

Nothing's more exciting than a graphic simulation of painting your nails and going to the mall.

"Okay, I've got my cute, frilly tank tops, now let's go to the food court and get a nice, healthy salad while I sit innocently and wait for a boy to notice me! Here's a table... OH NO, WAIT, PULL BACK, IT'S GOT KETCHUP ON IT! NOOOO, GAME OVER!!"

Quoting Kodachi: I have a black belt in King of Fighters. :mad2:

She's not kidding. She kicked my @#$.

Quoting Lord of Spam: Thats another reason why there might be an apparenlt lack of female gamers that I hadnt thought of: competitiveness. Playing games against people requires a much more competetive nature which most women lack. This isnt to say that there arent plenty of girls playing games on their own. Lets just say in the years that I've been playing CS, I remember hearing one female voice over a mike.

Probably why you see most female gamers playing RPG's, being a single-player genre with some co-ops sprinkled on top. MMORPG's, in fact, are known to be hot spots for mothers in their twenties and thirties.

Again, not that there aren't girl gamers who could tear your balls of in Halo.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Linko_16: MMORPG's, in fact, are known to be hot spots for mothers in their twenties and thirties.

All I'm hearing is "Play WoW and meet milfs."

Posted by JonMB

That's all I heard too. Shaaawingggg!

Posted by Demonblade

i dont know if its possible to find a milf on WoW. Im not denying the fact that there are moms that play it...but milfs...that might be a stretch.

Posted by JonMB

There's also the fact that many "women" in WoW are actually males playing female characters.

Posted by Demonblade

i was merely talking about the ones that admit they are women...but yes jon, you bring up a very valid point. Uahgg...

Posted by JonMB

I'm sure there are some moms who play WoW that many people would consider attractive, just by the sheer numbers of how many people who play it. It would be difficult to locate one though, most likely.

Posted by Minesweeper

Girl gamers are myth. Girls can't play video games because they might break a nail or take precious time away from their wardrobe co-ordinating, and they'd break down and cry every time they lost or got hurt or something. [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v89/LovelyConcerto/Smilies3/icon_ninja.gif[/IMG]

[spoiler]Hasn't this been discussed to death? Maybe I'll post something serious in a bit. >.>[/spoiler]

Posted by JonMB

What hasn't been discussed to death? :D

Posted by Minesweeper

Many things. But I can't mention them, otherwise they'll potentially lose their "not discussed to death" status. :3

Posted by JonMB

Well, I know of one. I haven't seen a thread dedicated to the art of sticking bowling pins up human rectums yet.

That's because it's a fact. You can debate it.