Will too much confusion lead to people just buying what is out there?

Posted by rockinrocket

I am incredibly interested with what is going to happen this year with all the console confusion.

For example:

Nintendo Revolution is coming out... but so is the next Legend of Zelda title. Will people stick with their NGC to play Legend or are people going to move on to the REV?

With all the delays and price gossip concerning the Playstation 3, will people turn to XBOX?

What do you think is going to happen? Who will benefit the most from all this? Will Colecovision make a comeback?

Posted by Lord of Spam

I think that the delay will have some effect on the PS3. It gives the Xbox time to establish market share and move into its dev cycle at the same time that PS3 will be in its post launch slump. In essence, Xbox should be picking right when PS3 falters.

As for the Rev, I think anyone that is a big enough Zelda fan to pick it up is probably a big enough Nintendo fan to at least want to pick up a rev, even if they dont have the money, which shouldnt be too much of an issue, considering the agressive pricing tactics that Nintendo is employing.

Posted by Demonblade

i agree with spam, people who want the revolution badly enough im sure wouldnt mind shelling out another 50 dollars for a game they want to play. Whats 50 dollars when you've already spent 500-600 anyways? who cares about 10%...

As for the PS3, i think it was wise to wait another year...or rather, i think it was unwise for microsoft to release the 360 so soon. Sony will be able to capitalize on the faults the 360 had on its launch, and unless Halo 3 comes out or some other random game that actually makes the 360 worth buying, i dont see it doing any better until christmas time anyways. Im not even considering buying a Rev at launch, i have to see if it still has the same gamestyle that the 64 and Cube had, and if so...ill never buy it.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

The PS3 will do just fine. Assuming the price isn't too high, they have a large enough fanbase to establish a good launch. As for the delay, it had to be done. Even developers were saying a spring launch was impossible. However, now that the PS3 and Rev will be coming out around christmas, the Rev is going to be in big trouble I think. It won't have anything to do with confusion, but rather, more people like Sony.

I think gamers are smart enough, the majority anyways, to know what they want to buy. So any confusion will be occuring to kids and parents, not the average player.

Posted by Demonblade

All in all, i think unless 360 has some more than amazing games come out within the next 6 months...im just going to save up for a PS3...cuz god knows how much those will cost. But i know eventually i will end up owning both the PS3 and 360, and probably never the rev.

Posted by Lord of Spam

You do realize that MS plans on releasing Halo 3 on the day that the PS3 is getting released, right?

I'm porbably going to buy the rev first out of all three. After playing the 360, I'm just not impressed. Yes, it has purty graphics, and you're totaly amazed by it for the first few days you play. But then you realize that the games are the exact same as they were. Nothing has changed at all. Its the same sludge that gets thrown out on the ps2/xbox.

The Rev, however, is last I knew being talked about being sold for <$150, AND is doing something that hasnt really been done on a large scale before. THAT is interesting as are the gaming possibilities that it opens up.

Posted by GameMiestro

If people see somethig they want, they'll buy it. Theres no confusion there.

Posted by Dexter

I find that all the confusion discourages people from playing games altogether. There's too much involved for them to bother with. Isn't the NES still the best selling system ever? Very simple to learn and anyone with a basic understanding will probably be attracted. Today you have all these eccentric, confusing controllers, memory cards, multiple systems, online play, etc.

Quoted post:
I'm porbably going to buy the rev first out of all three. After playing the 360, I'm just not impressed. Yes, it has purty graphics, and you're totaly amazed by it for the first few days you play. But then you realize that the games are the exact same as they were. Nothing has changed at all. Its the same sludge that gets thrown out on the ps2/xbox.

Needs more Ghost Recon.

Posted by Lord of Spam

I've already covered why no normal console will get my FPS love;)

Quoted post: I've already covered why no normal console will get my FPS love

Third person, noob. Though there is an FP option, it sucks unless you're palying online.

Posted by Speedfreak

Play Goldeneye or Perfect Dark. Those FPSs play in such a way that really precise, fast-reaction aiming is not needed.

Posted by Lord of Spam

I played Perfect Dark Zero and hated it. I had more fun playing CoD2.:/

As for GoldenEye, I know I'm going to get hated on for this, but I dont remember it being that fun.:(

Posted by Demonblade

Quoting Lord of Spam: You do realize that MS plans on releasing Halo 3 on the day that the PS3 is getting released, right?

"Plan" is the key word in that phrase. What bunjee thinks and what microsoft thinks are likely to be two totally different things when it gets down to the line. And with bunjees track record, we'll be lucky if we see it at all before nex summer :)

Quoting Vamipiro: Needs more Ghost Recon.

Thankyou, was waiting for someone to say that. Ghost recon is probably the only other game i can think of that will persuade me to buy a 360 before christams solely because it will rock on Xbox Live.

And i agree spam...Pefect Dark zero licked anus...for the hour that i did play it.

Posted by Dragner

Quoting rockinrocket: I am incredibly interested with what is going to happen this year with all the console confusion.

Everyone has there own likes dislikes and taste in their systems. Most of the time they know what they want to bey and do so I agree with what has been said there really isn't that much confusion.

Quoting rockinrocket: What do you think is going to happen? Who will benefit the most from all this? Will Colecovision make a comeback?

Well I think if the price isn't to hight the PS3 will do fine despite all the bush backs, I also think profit wise the REV will do the best. I'm hoping that this will also be MS last try at the consoles but it wont happen.

Quoted post: I played Perfect Dark Zero and hated it. I had more fun playing CoD2.:/

PERFECT DARK. Not Zero. They're completely different experiences.

Quoted post: And i agree spam...Pefect Dark zero licked anus...for the hour that i did play it.

It's fine online. But yeah, it's horrible when it comes to SP.

Posted by Random

I think EA will pay assassins to kill off everyone who works for MS, Sony or Nintendo and EA will be the only company left. Hey it's possible right?

Posted by Prince Shondronai

Given that high-ranking EA officials have stated the likes of "Good God! Why would we want to make hardware?!" I think it highly unlikely that they would try to put any of the hardware makers out of business.

As for the console confusion, there will always be clueless people who go to Wal-Mart to ask the tough questions like "Why can't I play my N64 games on the ps3?" and "When will Mario Kart be coming out for the X-box?" And of course, the Wal-Mart employees will answer, "You need a special adapter that only came out in Japan." and "Mario Kart already came out for the X-box. Check ebay." Thankfully, there are enough of us that know better to keep our favorite game developers in business.

Posted by Dexter

Yeah, Perfect Dark Zero was a huge disappointment for me. Perfect Dark Zero was bad enough to make the old Perfect Dark seem bad. I enjoy Call of Duty far more. My nephews and I played it for a good hour today and wished we could play it more. If only there was a survival mode. I like trying to stay alive, but I don't enjoy missing out on all the points.

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting Vampiro]PERFECT DARK. Not Zero. They're completely different experiences.

BUNGIE, and last I heard Bill Gates was making a point of the fact that he got ahead of himself when he said Halo 3 would be released at or around the PS3 launch. He stated, like others at Microsoft and Bungie, that the game will be out when it's ready, and that Bungie has no pressure to release the game when the PS3 comes out. Plus, if my memory serves me right, Bungie was working on a non-Halo project, so unless they plan to just throw the good reputation they've set for themselves with a rushed launch of one of the most popular games ever, I don't see the game coming out at the same time the PS3 becomes available.

Posted by Demonblade

i concur...and apologize for the incorrect spelling.

Quoted post: I didn't feel they were so different. Other than the story, setting and how the characters sound like, everything closely resembled the original. Mission structure, level progression and variety of weapons were pretty much the same, as well as the slower pace that the N64 Rare shooters were known for.

Maybe it's just me then. Because I felt no connection between the two AT ALL.

Posted by Speedfreak

Yeah, ditto. Perfect Dark on the N64 had tight controls and Jo moved at a very quick pace. PDZ was like playing Master Cheif wading through a lake of syrup. There seems to be less objectives in the new game, too. Either that or they're more ad-hoc, I remember in the first game you actually had to read the briefing before you started.

Posted by rockinrocket

People have been thinking that Nintendo is setting themselves up to no longer compete against Sony and Microsoft game platforms. It being gossiped that Nintendo wants to be the cheaper, "on the side" console that people without a lot of money are going to turn to.

What do you think of that idea? If you are an avid and true Nintendo supported, does that bother you?

Posted by Speedfreak

Nintendo are gearing up to make money next generation. If you want to make money in this business, that means not focusing just on hardcore gamers. I 100% support Nintendo in their direction, because it seems to be the only one that's financially viable.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

Why would it bother me, rockinrocket? Are they going to stop making Zelda? Metroid? Super Mario? Star Fox? Smash Brothers? I think not. It's the people who need to have 3rd-party games on Nintendo's systems that will be bothered, not the Nintendo faithful.

Posted by rockinrocket

I only asked if it bothered you because in some other post siteds people can get pretty heated about certain Nintendo things. i find it interesting that people can get very territorial about the things that they like to play.

I doubt Nintendo will ever stop making Legend of Zelda titles... even if theri system goes under.

What types of games are your favorite to play?