Savage Garden

Posted by Raptor

Savage Garden was such a fabulous duo. It's a shame Darren Hayes and Daniel Jones broke apart after only two major U.S. releases, because those two marvelous albums, Savage Garden and Affirmation, changed my life. They both contain so many romantic, danceable love songs with very heartfelt lyrics and unforgettable melodies, the overall product sappy only in the most delightful, sincere fashion. Hayes has such a hauntingly beautiful and foxy voice, at times so gloriously soft and effeminate yet so powerfully convicting, that just draws me right into the song. "Crash and Burn" is my favourite SG song of all time. It's such a stellar song to dedicate to a crush, a friend, or anyone whom you would lift up and fly away with into the night. Who could forget the utterly captivating "Truly, Madly, Deeply"? I was just listening to these fantastic songs on the way home tonight, with the rain cascading down the windshield awe-inspiringly, and awfully fond memories soaring through my head. There just aren't too many artists that appeal to the hopeless romantic in me like Savage Garden. :love:

Posted by Dexter

What a coincidence. I am currently putting my two Savage Garden CDs into my ipod. I was wondering what ever happened to them. Did they go on to other projects when they separated or did they simply retire from the music scene altogether? I remember a Valentine's dance back in 2000. My friend Mindy and I danced to "I Knew I Loved You." Very special, friendly moment. We still talk about it. I also remember my sister playing their music a little too much. Funny how she probably would have a difficult time even remembering them and now I'm all into them. Good memories.

How could you not list "The Animal Song," Raptor? I used to drum that beat all the time. :love:

Posted by Raptor

Coincidence, or something else? :love:

I'm not sure about Daniel Jones, but I know Darren Hayes went off to release a few solo albums. I never really managed to get into his solo work like I could Savage Garden, but it isn't bad by any means.

"The Animal Song" is pure bliss, and I actually thought of it while posting, but figured I would wait and see if anyone else brought it up first. :love:

Posted by Kamek

Savage Garden really brings back memories for me. Especially one summer back, I must've been maybe 9 or 10, and I had found the CD left by someone somewhere. I played it on one of those rainy summer days, only childhood can bring (wow, the nostalgia is really overwhelming) and I liked the CD. But there was something about that last track, Santa Monica, that captivated me. There I was 10 years old from New York, just on the computer listening to the rain drop probably posting on WoN, and everything just seems so perfect about that moment. I've never been to Santa Monica, but I love that song.

"On the telephone line I am anyone/
I am anything/
I want to be/
I can be a cape crusader/
Or space invader/
And you wouldn't know the difference/
Would you/"

That just sticks in m head when I think of it.

Posted by Richaod

They were decent for a pop group; I never actively liked them but they were alright. Being Australian, they were so overplayed here it wasn't funny...

Raptor, I wasn't aware you were a romantic...

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

I used to listen to them, and like them quite a bit. As did my friend. I don't listen to them any longer, as some songs bring back painful memories.

Posted by Fate

I actually liked that "Truly, Madly, Deeply" song. :)

Posted by MetalVox~55

Yeah, I disliked this band with a passion.

Posted by Aesthetic

I greatly enjoyed their music when it first came out, and it is quite sad that they broke apart. After they stopped releasing singles, I never really had the opportunity to keep listening to their music, as I wasn't allowed to spend my babysitting money on CDs; and by the time I had control over my own money (for the most part), I'd forgotten that I'd wanted to buy their albums. It wasn't until recently that I remembered how wonderfully romantic their songs truly are, and how the sincerity in their songs strikes a definite chord within me. Actually, this is making me want to download a few of their songs. Thanks for the reminder. :)

Posted by Sadinymph

I still listen to them. I liked all of their songs when they came out, but now only listen to a select few because I never owned their CDs. However, I am heavily considering using one of their songs as a first dance for my fianc

Posted by Raptor

I totally forgot to mention "The Best Thing." What an awfully amazing song, though it left me feeling a bit awkward with the memories it brought back. Still, this auspicious offering has not lost its awe-inspiring qualities.

Posted by Hyper

Never liked them, but my mother bought their second CD at one point.

Posted by Shade

For some reason, their name reminds me of Simon & Garfunkel.

Posted by Raptor

Hyper's mom has such good taste.

So yeah, I'm already sick of them again. That happens with plenty of music I pick up again after awhile... the most recent example would be Alice in Chains. It's interesting to hear again for the first time in awhile, but it quickly sounds played out to death again.

Posted by Hyper

My mother also liked(likes) Train (she bought Drops of Jupiter), The Scorpions, Cat Stevens, Lit, and Blue October (something like that, not sure if that's what they're called). But she also likes Porcupine Tree, so there's a plus.

Posted by Ex-Linkman

I remember Savage Garden. I used to love their music because it was catchy, especially that one song that had the lyric referring to cherry cola. I forgot what the song name was, I think it was called "I Want You" or something like that.. Anyway, like with Kamek, they were a big part of my summer one year ('97 or '98). The good ol' days. :(

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

I liked to make fun of how flaming they sounded. But I liked Evan and Jared, so I'm guilty too

Posted by Kamek

Evan and Jared lol. Crazy for this Girl was my jam back in the day *blush*. I just recently heard, "The Lover After Me" by Savage Garden, and after hearing an amazing acoustic rendition by this guy on youtube, this has become one of my favorite Savage Garden songs. Still can't top "Santa Monica" though. There's also a great Santa Monica acoustic performance on youtube somewhere.

Posted by Raptor

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: I liked to make fun of how flaming they sounded. But I liked Evan and Jared, so I'm guilty too

That's part of what makes them so appealing. There's nothing like following up a Velvet Acid Christ song with some good old Savage Garden.

Posted by Omni

I've never really listened to them. "Truly Madly Deeply" is a song I heard a lot, though, because I know a girl who loves it. She says it's her favorite song.

Posted by Arwon

Darren Hayes' stuff these days actually sounds kinda okay.

Who'da thunk it.