PSP questions and info please?....

Posted by SuperSoupy

So Im planning on getting a PSP this weekend, only to find out a few days ago that in order to run an emulator or something like that I need a specific version of software on PSP (apparently thses things dont work on version 2.5). Could someone please shed some light on to what is the latest update that the homebrews or emu's will run on? What version of software comes with the PSP giga pack as standard? Which version of software is best to have on a psp? and if there is an update that the homebrews wont run on, is there a way to downgrade the PSP software?

feedback much appreciated thanks.

Posted by Klarth

From the sticky...

[quote]-Homebrew
What Sony doesn't want you to do. Homebrew software is software that users have written themselves - can do any number of things. There's one that allows your PSP to be used as a universal remote through its InfraRed port, there's one which allows you to play Super Nintendo games on the move, there's one which lets you read RSS feeds... It covers just about everything, including running downloaded games off the memory stick (don't ask about that here, it's piracy. Not that I don't do it, but still). However, to take advantage of homebrew functionality you'll need a certain firmware, which is covered in the next section.

-Firmwares
"How do I know what firmware my PSP has?"

Settings -> System Information, where it displays your MAC address and yout firmware number. Here's a breakdown of what they mean:

1.00 - Came with the first run of Japanese PSPs. No real reason why you'd want this apart from the fact that it can run software unsigned by Sony without a hitch. Lets you run about 90% of homebrew through the XMB.

1.50 - Lets you run 100% of homebrew PERFECTLY. It's the only firmware that lets you run those evil ISO launchers, too. Lets you run homebrew through the GAME menu on the XMB.

1.51 - "Security update". Utterly pointless firmware. No homebrew functionality.

1.52 - "Security update". See above. No homebrew functionality.

2.00 - Adds a web browser and support for a few games like GTA - An incentive for people to upgrade. HOWEVER, you can downgrade back to 1.50 whenever you like - No side effects, no risk. On 2.00, you have to run homebrew through a photo menu exploit - You can run about 80% of all homebrew in this way.

[B]DON'T UPGRADE PAST 2.00![/b]

2.01 - Utterly pointless security fix. You can only run about 40% of homebrew on this firmware, through Fanjita's GTA loader. Yes, this requires GTA.

2.50 adds the locationfree player. You need GTA to play homebrew.

2.60 adds the RSS feed audio thingahifjoer2gqewt. You again need GTA.

Also, I don't advise purchase of a giga pack (which comes with a 1GB memory stick duo), as IT IS RANDOM WHETHER IT WILL BE INSTALLED WITH 2.00 OR 2.01 FIRMWARE.

Posted by SuperSoupy

right so buying a giga pack is kinda risky. does anyone know what kind of firmware comes with the psp value pack?

plus is there any way to downgrade if the firmware is higher than version 2.00?

Posted by Klarth

You can't downgrade if your firmware is higher than 2.00, due to the fact that what little homebrew available for it has no access to the flash0 partition of the PSP's internal memory.

Value packs will either have 1.50, 1.51 or 1.52. If you want 1.50, just upgrade to 2.00 and downgrade again.

Posted by basterd

Search the board.

Posted by Klarth

No need for him to do so considering I've already answered his questions.

Posted by basterd

Whatever. You told me most of that stuff. I sold my psp .