New car

Posted by KoH

Suggest to me some good cars for roadtripping. It has to be cheap and cool at the same time. And try to suggest some good convertibles as well, as I think that they're kick ***. Price range, by the way, is uh, 5 grand. Yeah...

Posted by Lord of Spam

For five grand you could pick up a decent early model (early 90s) [url=http://www.kbb.com/kb/ki.dll/kw.kc.ucp?kbb&33711&;689048&;;ucr;cnv&17;MA;H1]Miata[/url]. They are THE cheap, tossable, moddable open roadster. They are lightweight, can be made to have decent horsepower, are rediculously fun, AND get decent gas mileage since its only a 4 cylinder. Plus, its rear wheel drive, so if you take it down here, I can show you how to dorifutoooooooo it.;)

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Vans are essential to roadtrips. You can get quite a few older models for really cheap to. You may have to pay a bit more when it comes to gas, but the space and comfort makes up for it.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Yes, but can they [url=http://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial_s&hl=en&q=drift&btnG=Google+Search]dorifutoooooooooo?[/url]

Oh yeah, they can DORIFUTOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Posted by Demonblade

Well, not that id ever buy one, but a cheap convertible should be a Volkswagon Golf.

But i would most certainly have to agree vamp, vans are essential for road trips. The extra gas cost can be outweighed by the ability to comfortably sleep in it, as long as you have a matress in the back. Heck take it a step further and chop the roof off the van, then you have comfort and convertible. But, you might want to get some tarp for whenever it rains, or a big piece of treated plywood haha.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

Neon!

Who wouldn't want one!

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

Get an old bus/coach. You'd be surprised how cheap they are. Then you can rip the seats out, refloor and carpet it, and bolt a portable generator, a TV and a games console, some armchairs, a radiator and a nice wee fridge inside.

Bang. Job done.

EDIT: [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mitsubishi-Delica-L300-Mystery-Machine-Party-Bus-4X4_W0QQitemZ4615041890QQcategoryZ14256QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]Duuuuuuuuuuuuude...[/url]

Posted by Lord of Spam

1) I'm like 90% sure VW never made a stock gold convetible. They made a car called the Cabrio that was a convert, but not a golf. And never trust hardtop top convert conversions.
2) VANS CANNOT DORIFUTOOOOOOOOOO, VAMP. YOU LIE. WHY MUST YOU LIE?
3)If he picks up a '90 miata for 3k, that leaves him with a badass car, and 2k left over for road trip costs, like hotels and such. I vote miata.

Posted by Lord of Spam

You need a special license and they are VERY unweildy. Not to mention that to make it street legal you'd have to get it certified, most likely. ANd bolt everything that you didnt want sliding down.

sorry to ruin your dreams.:/

Just stick pictures of kids faces in the windows and paint "Special Needs" on the side. What kind of cop would pull that bus over?

Posted by Lord of Spam

I would if I were a cop.

Then again, I'd do a LOT of really dick headed things if I were a cop.

Posted by Zedd

How about a Le Baron? [/Freddygotfingered]

Posted by Lord of Spam

Nothing says awesome like a big, underpowered, front wheel drive POS.

MIATA DORIFUTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO IS CALLING YOU, KoH.

Quoted post: 2) VANS CANNOT DORIFUTOOOOOOOOOO, VAMP. YOU LIE. WHY MUST YOU LIE?

Just saw this, and I should beat you up for insinuating something like that. The point is, it was a crazy jap van. If anything can DORIFUTO it's a ****ing jap van.

and no one wants Miata. Shut up. Seriously, I'll beat you up. I'll eventually have to go to Disney World sometime, and BAM.

Posted by Demonblade

yeah...not it for a miata...you can fit like what....7/8 of one person in the entire vehicle. Not really roadtrip material if you plan on going with a bunch of people...but it is indeed a cheap...nice looking convertible.

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

Quoting Lord of Spam: You need a special license and they are VERY unweildy. Not to mention that to make it street legal you'd have to get it certified, most likely. ANd bolt everything that you didnt want sliding down.

sorry to ruin your dreams.:/

Yeah, I know that. So?

Posted by Lord of Spam

Actually, since I've driven a miata, I would think I would be aware of its driveability. Its fine. I'm 5'10" and I had no problem. And the trunk is reasonably sized to fit a roadtrips worth of clothes in.

Oh, and yers, jap vans can drift. In fact, [url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/penguinbob/dorfutobanner.png]I had that as a banner for a while.[/url] But jap vans that drift would set you back a good 10 grand or so in parts, mods, and labor. Not to mention that the suspensoni would have to be VERY stiff to prevent excessive weight transfer, which means that if would be avery uncomfortable ride.

With 5 grand, you could pick up the earliest (and also leightest) miata and push it up to about 150hp most likely. It wouldnt be super fast, but it would be VERY quick if pushed (possibly 5 seconds to 60). That may not sound like much, but the 300hp/300 lb/foot WRX STi hits 60 in about 4.5, and that sells for 30 grand IF you find a dealer that doesnt slap a $5k premium on it. PLUS, the miata is seen as a chicks car, so when you peel out and leave big white smoke clouds (make sure your clutch is in good shape first, obviously) people will crap their pants.

I've seen a drag modded miata that ran 9 second quarter miles while doing a wheelie. It was godly.

Quoted post: PLUS, the miata is seen as a chicks car, so when you peel out and leave big white smoke clouds (make sure your clutch is in good shape first, obviously) people will crap their pants.

Until they look over and see some fat dude driving it.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Is KoH fat?

Cuz yeah, little car+big man=people laughing at you.

Oh, and dont go to Disney. Srsly, if you want to come to florida and waste hundreds of dollars to not have fun, just come hang out with me and giv eme the money.:3

Quoted post: Is KoH fat?

Cuz yeah, little car+big man=people laughing at you.

idk. All I know is that if a fat man drove a Miata and tried to look cool in it, he'd fail, really hard.

Quoted post:
Oh, and dont go to Disney. Srsly, if you want to come to florida and waste hundreds of dollars to not have fun, just come hang out with me and giv eme the money.:3

I've already been there twice. But I mean, what are the chances of me NEVER going there again? Pretty slim. But yeah, if anything, I'd use the money for us to have a badass night on the town. Or keep it to myself and find me a nice Floridian hooker or whatever.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Oh, well, then go to disney.

And if KoH is leaning towards portly, then he should go with a van most likely. Paint it crazy colors and whatnot, like tiedie, only not hippy. That would be cool.

Posted by The Judge

If he's thin, get a small, fuel efficient car.

If you're fat, get a British Mini. I'm sure people will laugh uproariously at how incredibly cool you are.

Oh, and make sure to wear a denim jacket with a t-shirt of the Union Jack. Fat trendsetters are cool too.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Old school british minis are expensive. I looked into them when i was getting my car. A good condition one in america (because importing a car is VERY expensive) sets you back at least 20k.

Given the choice, I'd take the old one over the new one. Do a engine swap with an Integra Type R, bolt on a supercharger, put in a roll cage, some dirt tires and beefy suspension, and you've got yourself an INSANE rally car.

Posted by mis0

I wouldn't buy a car to take on a roadtrip, personally. Considering your monetary constraints, you may end up with something with problems. I'd rent a big luxury car if I were you. As for a car to own, though, a mid-late 90's Caprice would be fun. Get a white one, and add the two spotlights so it has the police look. Feel free to laugh as people freak out when they see you. And, dorifuto at your own luxury.

Posted by Captain Cleanoff

Quoting KoH: Suggest to me some good cars for roadtripping. It has to be cheap and cool at the same time. And try to suggest some good convertibles as well, as I think that they're kick ***. Price range, by the way, is uh, 5 grand. Yeah...

Old Lexuses are kickass comfortable, reliable luxury cars. I drove a 1992 Lexus LS400 at work today, and I'd take it over a lot of new 2006 cars. An old Lexus SC300/400 (the 400 has a v8) would kick serious ***.

You could do early-to-mid 90s versions of the following: BMW 3-series convertible (preferably E36), Chevy Camaro/Pontiac Firebird convertible (get it with a V8), Ford Mustang convertible (ditto).

If you can't get one of those, convertible versions of the Mitsubishi Eclipse, Nissan 300ZX, Toyota Celica, and of course, the extremely girly Mazda Miata and Volkswagen Cabriolet can be had, as well as a convertible Mazda RX-7.

Or if you REALLY want some Italian style and individuality, go for a used [url=http://www.seriouswheels.com/pics-mno/Maserati-Biturbo-Silver-Front-Angle-st.jpg]Maserati Biturbo[/url].

Posted by KoH

Yeah, I looked at some Mazda models and... I'm not a woman. That's all I'm saying about that.

And no, I am not fat, like that. I am pretty tall though, 6' 2". So, yeah. I wanted a nice, possibly 4 door convertible, old style though. Around 70s to 80s. I saw a nice Lincoln '63 convertible on the net though, but that's like a collector's item.

[URL="http://www.seriouswheels.com/1960-1969/1963-Lincoln-Convertible.htm"]http://www.seriouswheels.com/1960-1969/1963-Lincoln-Convertible.htm[/URL]

Anywho, that type of style is perfect for me. 8-)

Oh, and not so much a road trip as a slightly extended trip from one point to another. It's not gonna be something where I just live out the next 5 years in a van, the trip'll most likely just last at most a month.

[quote=Wings]EDIT: [URL="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mitsubishi-Delica-L300-Mystery-Machine-Party-Bus-4X4_W0QQitemZ4615041890QQcategoryZ14256QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]Duuuuuuuuuuuuude...[/URL]

lmfao

No, ****ing, way.

Posted by Skitzo Control

Ford Festivas rock the jukebox, KoH-dawg.

Posted by Lord of Spam

You guys can call miatas girls cars all you want, but theres a reason that SCCA has a race series of nothing but miatas. People who are serious about having fun with cars recognize that its awesome handling and insane tunability make it an awesome car.

And Phantom, how many of those acrs can actually be had for under 5k without hanig rediculously high repair costs? Seriously, an E36 BMW? Good luck paying to repair that as a kid in high school.

Posted by Philsdad

Quoting Wings: Get an old bus/coach. You'd be surprised how cheap they are. Then you can rip the seats out, refloor and carpet it, and bolt a portable generator, a TV and a games console, some armchairs, a radiator and a nice wee fridge inside.

This was in fact the correct answer. Here's a good deal on a used bus, tons of room, the seats are already ripped out, and there's furniture already installed. http://snipurl.com/d8aj

Posted by NES Queen

[quote] And the trunk is reasonably sized to fit a roadtrips worth of clothes in.

hahaha. when my friend and i did our huge 3 week long xcountry trip, we had her chevy trailblazer filled to the brim with just 2 of us. 1 suitcase each full of clean clothes, bags of dirty clothes, food and bottled water, small grill, tent, and various other camping whatnots... it all adds up. theres no way you can fit all that in a tiny miata. unless you're only going away for 1-2 nights max.

and the convertible may sound like a cool idea, but again, depending on how much driving you're going to be doing its not always fun. even with just a sun roof, we got mega sun burns (took a while to realize where they came from) and couldnt deal with the heat when we were driving through certain states. ended up just using the AC most of the time. but we were usually doing 600+ miles a day, if you'll be doing less it wont be an issue i suppose.

Posted by Raptor

I couldn't imagine doing a proper road trip in anything less than a full-size SUV. The cargo space would be essential, and the floor space and headroom necessary for comfort. One thing I learned is that Ford Exploders are only good for renting, even the ones with every bell and whistle imaginable... after renting one this summer and driving it all around western Canada and U.S., it did the typical American car routine; fall apart after 6000 miles.

Posted by Shin-Ra

I have a 96 civic (with a sunroof) that I got for 3,500. I've only had one problem with it since I bought it and it was only a minor thing. From my experience, Hondas last a long time but I'm not sure how they'd be on a really long roadtrip. The longest I've been in it was 11 hours when I got lost in Houston, which wasn't bad at all other than the whole "lost" thing. The last real roadtrip was when I went to San Diego -- 26 hours there and about 32 hours back -- and that was in the ford focus/pt cruiser lovechild version of a Scion. It wasn't too bad, although the wind would get unbearably noisy when any of the windows were rolled down. If there's a couple of tips I can give it's these:

1.) Rotate a person from the backseat into the passenger side, then have the passenger drive and the former driver take a nap in the back. The passenger will keep the driver awake if they actually talk, so loud music will be a big no-no unless it's something entirely familiar.
2.) Bring a few rolls of soft toilet paper if you know what's good for you.
3.) If the driver says "don't you hate it when you go to sleep and then wake up, and you're only going 40?", let them rest.
4.) Cheap snacks for the car are great, but make **** sure it's not something that smells really bad.
5.) Bring Axe or something similar, especially if anyone in the car even remotely smells bad in a normal setting.

Posted by Slade

MIATA: The biggest(fattest) kid in my school drives a Miata. He's well over 300 lbs and he has to get in the passenger door because the drivers is broken. I swear that is the funniest thing to see, the Miata nearly touching the ground he shakes it back and forth so much cramming himself in there. It's not like I'm making fun of him, he's real good natured about it. :cool:

ROAD TRIP: Never ever bring a dog on a road trip. Well, just not a big dog like mine. I spent over a hundred hours in the car next to him and sometimes I got so frustrated with him... Bad breath was the worst thing.
So bring toothpaste. For dog-types or people.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Raptor: I couldn't imagine doing a proper road trip in anything less than a full-size SUV. The cargo space would be essential, and the floor space and headroom necessary for comfort. One thing I learned is that Ford Exploders are only good for renting, even the ones with every bell and whistle imaginable... after renting one this summer and driving it all around western Canada and U.S., it did the typical American car routine; fall apart after 6000 miles.

1) I'm sure that head room will be a problem in a convertible :rolleyes:

2) I drive a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 V8. It has over 70 thousand miles on it. I abuse the hell out of it (I tend to forget oil changes, I redline it more than any truck should be redlined, and tend to drive like a controlled crash). How many times have I had to replace/fix something on it? Twice. Once to replace a stock engine belt that had been on the thing since it was made, and once to patch a tire that got a nail in it. So your LOL AMERICAN CARS SUX argument is bunk.

3) I could do a solo trip in a miata no prob. Its just a matter of not packing like a girl and taking every thing you own and making sure that what you do pack you pack well.

Posted by NES Queen

Quoting Lord of Spam: 1) I'm sure that head room will be a problem in a convertible :rolleyes:
i doubt he'll want to be sleeping in the convertible with the top down at night. or driving with it down during the rain. aside from the chance of rain, theres bugs galore and depending on where he's staying wild animals of all kinds. on my trip we were restricted from sleeping in the car if the windows were down because of bears and cyotes in some parts.

[quote]3) I could do a solo trip in a miata no prob. Its just a matter of not packing like a girl and taking every thing you own and making sure that what you do pack you pack well.

road trips are way more fun with a friend, so I was assuming KoH had one and would be going with them. and i didnt "pack like a girl". i had roughly 10 days worth of clothes, bathroom essentials, my phone, ipod, camera, and then all the necessary camping stuff - cooler, tent, sleeping bags, air matress. aside from maybe my frisbee, we used everything i brought along. and even though when we left the car was packed all nice and neat, the second you need something it becomes a wreck. and that was even with having some room to spare. imaging having to look for something at the bottom of your tiny miata trunk? you'd have to unpack the whole car every time.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Okay every one who has gone on a trip in a miata, raise their hand.

*only hand up in the room*

Thats what I thought. As for sleeping in it, he never said anything about that. If thats his plan, then yeah, its a ****ty choice. Aside from that, there is plenty of room in the trunk for all of your clothes and ****, and there is pockets and **** in the doors and between the seats for storing the few things that you would need to reach quickly.

Quoted post: Okay every one who has gone on a trip in a miata, raise their hand.

*only hand up in the room*

Shut up about the ****ed miata...

Posted by Lord of Spam

Its an awesome, cheap, fun, cool car, which is what he wanted.

Quoted post: Its an awesome, cheap, fun, cool car, which is what he wanted.

Hey, LoS, you're an awesome, cheap, fun cool car. Ok?

Posted by NES Queen

just found out the trade in value for my grand prix is only slightly higher than 5K. :(

its not a convertible, but it does have a sun roof and certainly beats out the miata :p:
you can buy it from me so i can get a new car!

Posted by Demonblade

buy my mustang please...i really dont want it anymore. If i only hade 3 more stripes, ahh, id buy a Lexus IS350...tis a shame im borderling poverty stricken.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting NES Queen: its not a convertible, but it does have a sun roof and certainly beats out the miata :p:

If you were trying to tick me off, you succeeded.

Lets see... heavy, front wheel drive peice of American sludge vs lightweight, hard cornering, quick accelerating peice of Japanese corner carving perfection...

Clearly the GP is the better car.:rolleyes:

Posted by Demonblade

i think if i had a choice...id take the RX-8 over the miata. Tis my favorite car under 40k

Posted by Lord of Spam

Lack of torque and burns oil like hell if you arent careful, AND gets crappy mileage. Also, rotary engines tend to die at about 60k miles or so. Aside from that, they're fun cars. But for sub40k, you can do waaay better than an RX8. For that much, you could get a fully rally moded mini cooper that would be pushing 300+ horsepower while powersliding through the woods.

Posted by Demonblade

yeah, tis true the rx-8 has many fallbacks, but i love the sound of that engine(test drove 3 times), and it only gets bad gas mileage if you drive it like a maniac due to its 3 different fuel intakes that engage at various RPM's. I could always buy a SRT-4, but then i would have to commit the most violent and gruesome suicide ever because i would be driving a neon. I also wouldnt mind having an Infinit G-35 or a Cadillac XLR (way out of my price range though)

Posted by Lord of Spam

the SRT4 is a joke if you try to do anything other than go in a straight line.

If you've got an extra 40k to drop on a car, you can pick up a new miata fully loaded for like 25k. That leaves 15k for mods, and with that much, you could have a blazing fast car on your hands.

Posted by KoH

Okay... well... uhm... no. I'm gonna stick to my mom mobile for now, when I semi-settle in and fully own the "Kia Sephia" (what the hell kind of name is that, anyway?) I'll trade it in. It's a good econ car anyway, gets me from A to B and its had less trouble throughout these last 6 years than any of my friends' cars.

Oh hey, cross your fingers. I might get the computer back full time by this weekend... maybe not though. It's all good either way.

It really isn't, though. I'm just trying to make it seem less important... Oh lord... I want my computer back so badly... I cried last night over it... Then I ravished the computer with grapes this morning. T'was magical.

Posted by Captain Cleanoff

LOS, shut up. You're making everyone here hate you, and hate the Miata. Nobody cares to hear one more word about it.

Posted by Lord of Spam

OH NOES, IT DOENST HAVE A V8, IT MUST SUCK!!!1!

[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/penguinbob/happymiata.jpg]Who could hate a car that looks this happy?[/url]

Posted by sniper

Clinically insane smile FTL!

Posted by mis0

I concur with the Phantom. The Miata isn't the greatest thing since sliced bread.

KoH: I drive something similar, a Hyundai Elantra (shares Sephia drivetrain) and even though it's small and elderly, it is a pretty reliable and tough car. Mine has seen 11,000 abusive miles in just 8 months, and there is almost no sign of it. The tranny still shifts fluidly, the motor starts and runs strong, willingly revving to 7500RPM. Not to mention that it's pretty fast; I've hit 130 with mine. But at that speed it also become a pretty terrifying car. :)

Not a terrible choice.

Posted by Demonblade

as you said LoS...the miata may be able to drift and go fast with proper tuning...but its still a gay looking car. Kind of a girls car if you ask me.

Posted by mis0

Not to mention that being as light as it is, it's not very strong and I'd bet it probably has a siginifigant amount of body flex.

As for aesthetics, it's arguable.

Posted by Demonblade

Aye...im sure it does. I personally dont care for the way it looks, but thats just me. Im stuck with my POS mustang anyways...

Posted by Dog

Posted by The Judge

I'd only take that if it could release lightning bolts to get me through traffic nice and easy.

Posted by Killer Jordo

Lol @ Msdig.

Anyway Misoxeny has a good car thier. Take her advice their. Anyway, you cna always rent a u-haul and sleep in the back :p

But, you can also go to budget or something and rent a REALLY nice car for road trips. When my uncle and aunt come to visit me, instead of putting miles out their own car. They'll get a rental and drive. They have gotten some pretty good ones, for pretty cheap!

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Misoxeny: Not to mention that being as light as it is, it's not very strong and I'd bet it probably has a siginifigant amount of body flex.

As for aesthetics, it's arguable.

DAHAHA no. The miata is KNOWN for its handling. It has a very stiff frame for just that reason.

And besides, the only people that think they are womens cars are people who need engines to supplant their penises or people who know nothing about them.

Posted by Demonblade

i know enough about about miata's not to like them...and i own a mustang thats a V6 that hardly has over 190hp..so i wouldnt call that big by any stretch of the imagination. Im assuming thats what you meant about engines...because you did say 'people who need engines' and if im going to gt a car...it **** well better have an engine.

Posted by Lord of Spam

There is more to a car than how big its engine is. This is not to say that cars with big engines cant be good, or that I dont like them (much <3 for the new Z06). Its just that when it comes to overall performance, the power to weigfht ratio is much more important than zOMG HORSEPOWER LOL. The Areil Atom proves that. It has about 300hp, yet it has a power to weight ratio higher than a Ferrari Enzo. It managed to beat a Honda CBR600RR (a VERY fast racing bike, for those not in the know) around Top Gear's test treck.

Since the Atom isnt yet legal in america, the Miata is pretty much the nest best thing. Its lightweight, with a good solid powerplant, and a stiff bodied rear wheel drive platform, all for less than $25k for a brand new one.

For all of you who are tired of hearing about the miata, theres a simple solution. Stop attacking it. I wont defend it if I dont have to, but the constant LOL GIRLS CAR comments make me want to stick up for it. And besides, take one hot lap in one around a decent autoX track with a good driver and theres no way you'll still think its a girls car:cool:

Edit before AA says it: Yes, I realize that torque is important too, but if you rev something enough, torque becomes less important. And since the miata redlines at like 7.5k, its not that much of a problem.

Posted by Speedfreak

GET A MINI.

[/win]

Posted by Lord of Spam

The OLD minis are super hardcore. The newer ones are not that great though. Though they are "lightweight" by todays standards, they still have way too much crap in them to be considered proper minis. Plus, they have really high resell values. A mini from the first year of the american run will still be about $17k. :/

They're essentially a fashion statement.:/

Posted by Demonblade

i can respect that. Ive never really been a fan of it, but like most small cars with a decent amount of power, im sure its a hoot to drive. Ive just never really liked the way they look. I bought my mustang for all the wrong reasons...but that is an entirely different story

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Demonblade: i can respect that. Ive never really been a fan of it, but like most small cars with a decent amount of power, im sure its a hoot to drive. Ive just never really liked the way they look. I bought my mustang for all the wrong reasons...but that is an entirely different story

Oh, dude, there was a car that I was talking to one of my friends about recently. It was a lightweight car with a 170 hp engine. It was really freaking sweet... if only I could remember what it was...

...oh, thats right...

IT WAS A FREAKING MIATA YOU LITTLE GIT

Posted by Demonblade

hahaha...alright alright, now you're starting to sound like a car salesman.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Most car salesmen dont yell insults.:/

I'm jsut an irate fan:D

Posted by Demonblade

so why dont you buy one then?

Posted by Lord of Spam

OH, WOW, WHY DIDNT I THINK OF THAT?! LET ME JSUT GO GRAB MY EXTRA $20,000 AND PICK ONE UP!

You are a giant moron. I hope you realize this.

Posted by Demonblade

Quoting Lord of Spam]For five grand you could pick up a decent early model (early 90s) [url=http://www.kbb.com/kb/ki.dll/kw.kc.ucp?kbb&33711&: Miata[/url]. They are THE cheap, tossable, moddable open roadster. They are lightweight, can be made to have decent horsepower, are rediculously fun, AND get decent gas mileage since its only a 4 cylinder. Plus, its rear wheel drive, so if you take it down here, I can show you how to dorifutoooooooo it.;)

Let me ask you LoS...how does your foot taste? I didnt say buy a brand new one did i? So you my friend, are the giant moron.

Posted by Lord of Spam

i have $15 to my name. Show me the miata I can get for $15.

So now whos got the foot in their mouth?

Posted by Demonblade

There you go.

BTW, jobs help when you need money. I know florida's minimum wage is pitiful...but you could certainly afford a 5k dollar miata on that kind of pay. I only have a few hundered to my name...but i can afford a 20,000 dollar car...whats your excuse?

Posted by KoH

[quote=Misoxeny]I concur with the Phantom. The Miata isn't the greatest thing since sliced bread.

KoH: I drive something similar, a Hyundai Elantra (shares Sephia drivetrain) and even though it's small and elderly, it is a pretty reliable and tough car. Mine has seen 11,000 abusive miles in just 8 months, and there is almost no sign of it. The tranny still shifts fluidly, the motor starts and runs strong, willingly revving to 7500RPM. Not to mention that it's pretty fast; I've hit 130 with mine. But at that speed it also become a pretty terrifying car. :)

Not a terrible choice.

Yeah, I might just stick to the Kia I have. While being a generic mom-mobile style car, it does do its job pretty well. I'll stick with it 'till I get some money.

[quote=Lord of Spam]OH NOES, IT DOENST HAVE A V8, IT MUST SUCK!!!1!

[URL="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/penguinbob/happymiata.jpg"]Who could hate a car that looks this happy?[/URL]

I could. That car's scary as hell.

Posted by Lord of Spam

[quote]BTW, jobs help when you need money. I know florida's minimum wage is pitiful...but you could certainly afford a 5k dollar miata on that kind of pay. I only have a few hundered to my name...but i can afford a 20,000 dollar car...whats your excuse?
Demonblade is online now Add to Demonblade's Reputation Report Bad Post Reply With Quote

I havent been able to get a job here for some reason. Not to mention that wehn I was working minimum wage, I got about 4k a year. So after taxes, gas, insurance, and, OH YEAH, COLLEGE LOL, I wouldnt really have much left now, would I? Not to mention that if I were to get rid of the vehicle I do have, I would essentially never get help from my family again. So **** off.

Quoting KoH: Yeah, I might just stick to the Kia I have. While being a generic mom-mobile style car, it does do its job pretty well. I'll stick with it 'till I get some money.

Thats your best bet, honestly. I only said anything cuz you asked.:/

[quote]I could. That car's scary as hell.

:(

Posted by Demonblade

Quoting Lord of Spam: I havent been able to get a job here for some reason. Not to mention that wehn I was working minimum wage, I got about 4k a year. So after taxes, gas, insurance, and, OH YEAH, COLLEGE LOL, I wouldnt really have much left now, would I? Not to mention that if I were to get rid of the vehicle I do have, I would essentially never get help from my family again. So **** off.

Fair enough...it was just a question...you dont need to get all defensive. Its just that you were speaking about 5k like it was some rediculously unattainable amount of money.

Posted by Lord of Spam

For me at the moment it is.:/

Posted by Demonblade

yeah, well i guess if you dont have a job it is. Thats one thing i dont understand about this god forsaken state...why is it so **** hard to find a job?

Posted by mis0

LoS: Of course it's not only about z0mg hr0sepuwer but a tiny little convertible just isn't a very practicle car. I mean, it really is just that miniature. For around the same price I'd rather buy a more useful vehicle, sportscar or not.

One thing about convertibles is that they're noisy, have siginifigant drag, and they almost always start to leak.

KoH: Probably a good idea. Free car = more monay for other stuff. The only things I really would consider doing to a car like a Kia are getting a firmer suspension and wider tyres (and possibly wheels which can hold wider tyres) to improve handling, and cross-drilled rotors for the front wheels (I find the rotors overheat fairly easy, but then again I'm a neurotic driver).

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Misoxeny: LoS: Of course it's not only about z0mg hr0sepuwer but a tiny little convertible just isn't a very practicle car. I mean, it really is just that miniature. For around the same price I'd rather buy a more useful vehicle, sportscar or not.

One thing about convertibles is that they're noisy, have siginifigant drag, and they almost always start to leak.

KoH: Probably a good idea. Free car = more monay for other stuff. The only things I really would consider doing to a car like a Kia are getting a firmer suspension and wider tyres (and possibly wheels which can hold wider tyres) to improve handling, and cross-drilled rotors for the front wheels (I find the rotors overheat fairly easy, but then again I'm a neurotic driver).

I'm not going to take issue with saying that its not as practicle, but with the top up its not that noisy, and since it was engineered as a convertible, the drag isnt all that noticable higher. Furthermore, I live in florida, and dont recall the roof leaking once. Ever. And I've been riding in it for 6 years now.

Also, tuning a kia phails so hard.:(

Posted by JonMB

If you're going on a road trip, I do not understand why you want a convertible. But anyway, I've read a lot about cars over the years and have a few suggestions.

For $5,000 you're gonna buy used, of course. Make sure to get a Carfax and have a mechanic inspect the car before final purchase.

Suggestions:
1. Mazda Miata.
They have pretty good reliability ratings and will satisfy your sports car urge.

2. Honda (Civic, Accord) or Toyota (Corolla, Camry).
These cars will last for a very long time when taken care of. They're wonderful.

3. An older Lexus.
I saw someone mention this and it could be a good idea, although it might be hard to find. Lexus are great automobiles.

4. Hyundai Accent.
I'd personally go for a Honda or Toyota instead, but an Accent (2001 or newer) can possibly be found in your price range and they are decent cars. A tad small, though.

5. Lotus Elise.
You're more likely to find a flying pig than an Elise for $5,000 but I wanted to mention it anyway since it's such a kick-*** car.

Posted by JonMB

Edit: Double post, oops.

Posted by mis0

Quoting Lord of Spam:
Also, tuning a kia phails so hard.:(

I dunno. Making your car more usable doesn't seem like failure to me. But adding things like aftermarket body panels, stereo systems, and things like NOS systems is stupid.

Having driven the before and after of a Mitsubishi Mirage with and without high-performance tyres, stiffer shocks, and better brakes, I can pretty much say it honestly makes the car better to drive.

I'll agree with you if you mean trying to turn a car into something it isn't is stupid, but better components are only a good thing.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Misoxeny: I'll agree with you if you mean trying to turn a car into something it isn't is stupid, but better components are only a good thing.

Thats what I was refering to.

Also..

[quote]5. Lotus Elise.
You're more likely to find a flying pig than an Elise for $5,000 but I wanted to mention it anyway since it's such a kick-*** car.

<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3

Posted by JonMB

It's so sexy I just wanna jump in bed with it and have lots of babies.

Posted by Lord of Spam

I stained myself the first time I saw the Exige. So hot. Want to touch.

So far, I've only seen one Elise in real life, and it was when I was in my truck (98 dodge ram). The thing looked TINY. I had driven next to Miatas and MR-S's before, but the Elise is just a whole 'nother category of small.

Edit: [url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/penguinbob/lotus_tiger.jpg]This might be relevant to your interests.[/url]

Posted by Speedfreak

Get an Audi, my dad had one and it was pretty awesome, I remember.

[/knows NOTHING]

Posted by Lord of Spam

Even A3's run in the low $20,000 range. Good cars though if you get some of the better versions (<3<3<3 RS4).

Edit: Speed, you stick to games, I'll stick to cars, k?:*

Posted by JonMB

Quoting Lord of Spam: Edit: [url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/penguinbob/lotus_tiger.jpg]This might be relevant to your interests.[/url]

:O

I love you.

Posted by Demonblade

that....is one hell of a bad *** car.

Posted by d2eux

i dunno, ferrari enzo lol

Posted by Lord of Spam

Yeah, thats an awesome idea. Why, just the other day I was walking down the street, and passed a used car dealership that had a V12, 600+ horsepower peice of pure carbon piber italian sex on wheels for only $5k.

Oh, no, wait. That never happened, nor will it ever happen.

Hell, just one oil change will most likely take up his 5k budget on a ferrari, not even mentioning that buying an Enzo will set you back over a million dollars.

Posted by KoH

Not sure if I mentioned my money issues... See... I have a budget of 5,000 bucks MAX, and here you guys are introducing cars that require a budget of 105,000 dollars. So... you know... just wanted to put that out there and hope you guys understand the fact that I'm just a kid. I'm not rich, nor are my parents. Hence... come on... seriously.

On another topic, should I just get a motorcycle?

Posted by NES Queen

yeah, that'll be fun. driving a motorcyle in the rain with a tent and all your possesions strapped to your back for 1000s of miles on end. :/

Posted by JonMB

Do not get a motorcycle. They're dangerous and not very useful except for moving yourself. Can't move friends, can't throw things in the trunk, etc.

Posted by Rhiyo

nigga stole my yoshi wow thats rude NES Queen

Posted by JonMB

LOL. KoH, you should buy a Yoshi. Give him a blue shell and fly away!

Posted by mis0

Motorcycles are only useful if you enjoy the lifestyle inherit with one, or, if you live in urban area. Not a good idea for long trips, although my parents took their Honda Goldwings on a 2,000 mi roundtrip getaway. I'd stick with a car, though.

Posted by Lord of Spam

If you buy a motorcycle, be ready to spend a long time learning to use it. They arent as inherently dangerous as people make them out to be. most of the accidents that people point to where riders end up dead or horridly disfifured can be traced to either rider error or a newbie getting too much bike.

First off, start out by getting an older, lower powered bike. A used honda is a good bet; they're cheap, easy to repair and maintain, and last forever, PLUS they'll get great mileage (like, 30mpg+). Then, put down the cash on a riding school. They'll teach you the basics, and get you ready to go out on the road. After you do that, spend about a year just riding and getting used to handling it in traffic, etc. Once you've learned what its like in all weather forms and conditions, you'll be ready to get something a little bit more fun. There are used sport bikes around 4 years old that you can pick up for like, four or five grand that will do 0-60 in under or around 3 seconds and get 20+mpg. Thats ferrari acceleration with used civic pricing and economy.

In essence, the dicision to get a bike comes down to what you plan to sue it for. I plan on getting on once I turn 21 (have to be 21 to get a motorcycle license in FL:( ), but then again I only do short in city trips, and dont generally have to carry much. As for you buying a bike in order to make a road trip this summer, I'd say its a terrible idea. It doesnt leave you with nearly enough time to really prepare youself for the open road. Having a semi merge into the lane next to you for the first time is scary enoug h in a car. It would be terrifying on a bike.

Also, wtf used miata<$5k:mad:[spoiler]jk lol[/spoiler]

Posted by NES Queen

[URL="http://cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp;?tracktype=usedcc&searchType=21&pageNumber=0&numResultsPerPage=50&largeNumResultsPerPage=0&sortorder=descending&sortfield=PRICE+descending&certifiedOnly=false&criteria=K-%7CE-%7CM-_30_%7CB-6000%7CD-_278_%7CN-N%7CR-10000%7CI-1%7CP-PRICE+descending%7CQ-descending%7CZ-11590&aff=national&paId=132571701&recnum=25&leadExists=true"]So Spam can cream his shorts....[/URL]

Posted by Keael

Here KoH, you can borrow my car for your road trips.

[IMG]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y208/Keael/mycar.jpg[/IMG]

Posted by Lord of Spam

Nice slowica.

The 4wd All-Tracs were the only ones that I ever liked body style wise.:/