Psychology 227: Love and Romance

Posted by Dexter

Welcome to Psychology 227: Love and Romance.

Females need drama in their lives to progress emotionally. It is a perfectly natural process. Like when a baby is born, it must cry. If a girl doesn't have anything emotional going on in their young lives their emotional development becomes stagnant and begs for some expansion and awakening, hence the natural process of creating drama. Some look upon such natural occurrences as overly emo and not of the cool. The men must suffer through this drama for they are a common tool used by women to advance emotionally. Educated men, however, know that women are just feeding their emotional development. Educated men can easily stay calm during a girl's turbulent moments of uncontrollable bickering and complaining because they understand that it isn't really their fault. Some men are willing to build upon the created situation and perhaps make it more than they know it really is to help the emotions progress further faster. They understand that this is something that the girl just needs to release. As time goes by, she'll often look back upon the argument and become incredibly apologetic for the way she was. She doesn't fully understand why she was so emotional over such trivial things because she doesn't know about her natural emotional development.

Assignment: Answer some or all of the following questions using everything you've ever learned in life.

#1. Was the preceding segment truth, fiction, or a mix of both? What information do you have that would support or oppose it?

#2. Have you ever experienced a similar situation? Explain.

#3. If a female was unaware of this process, what are the most common fabricated reasons she'll create to justify her actions? Fear, confusion, a lack of communication, etc?

#4. How can you tell the natural development apart from truthful problems?

#5. How do the men progress in their emotional development? (Let's be creative, girls. This is your opportunity)

#6. What are your overall thoughts? What additional contributions do you have to share with the rest of the class?

Posted by The Judge

1. False. For most women, at least. A fair majority of women are perfectly aware of their emotional condition, and though they may have less control over it than men (supposedly), they don't do it for unknown reasons. For some women this may be true, but I'm going to say that to most women, this doesn't apply.
2. I've experienced women that the statement applied to, and ones that it didn't. Everyone with even moderate social contact probably as.
3. "I don't know," "I need more space," "I'm on my period," "It's your fault," and so on.
4. If what you said is true, then truthful problems wouldn't come out of nowhere, and they would have a realistic basis instead of randomly flying off the handle.
5. Slowly. Very, very slowly.
6. No statement can be made as an overall universal truth about either gender. While this may hold truths, it's all varied depending on the person in question. There are far greater mysteries mankind should be exploring instead of trying to figure out our differences. Figuring out our differences only leads us to trying to either alienate eachother because of it or attempt (in vain) to solve the differences, a solution which is varied, again, based on the person in question. We should all accept that we are different and let the age-old mysteries of our other halves be left to lie.

Posted by Dexter

santaclausdude gets an F.

Judgey gets an A!

Velvet's girlfriend reminded me of those girls who break up with you then calls you back later crying about it and feeling stupid for not knowing why they wanted to break up with you in the first place. It's like something in them screams "create the drama!"

Then again, in such a situation, girls simply don't like the feeling of being out of a relationship, alone. I'm sure if there was another guy she hooked up with immediately after separation she would be better off with everything, but not having anyone is too out of character for her. It just doesn't feel right.

Posted by The Judge

I think, Dexter, you don't give women enough credit. You categorize them too strictly as emotionally dependent wrecks. While it's true that some girls are the worst, utterly dependant beings on the face of the Earth, a large amount (probably a majority) are strong willed and dependent, just like men. We're equals, not a greater-and-lesser species. We each have our strengths and weaknesses. We complete and compliment one-another.

You should take that into consideration.

Posted by Dexter

I do think we are all incredibly different. Generally, I actually believe that females develop emotionally better than guys do. Guys repress many things, which essentially makes them less interesting individuals. I grew up with seven sisters and I've seen the sever emotional turbulence that comes along with such an upbringing. I adored it. I found much of it exceptionally interesting and I've learned so much from having such a life. I find that females are overall better at communicating and expressing themselves than males. In my personal experience, however, I've found that females are shyer and far more self-doubting than males, which often hinders their communication skills and social abilities.

Posted by The Judge

But that's all due to social influence; you have to recognize that. I'm sure redneck women who live in very rustic areas with no real influence of the prissy women who do nothing but want to be housewives are sure of themselves. Look at your typical rat-face, ugly, fat hillbilly woman with a strong man (not attractive, but you get my point). They know they're hideous, and they don't care.

On the whole, though, in most places, you're right, women do tend to be more self-concious and self-doubting than men, but there are plenty of tough women and wimpy men out there too.

Posted by The Judge

Being as you're not a hermaphrodite, the female gender.

Posted by KuraiKitsune

#1. False. This so-called 'need for drama' can be proven incorrect with the development of the psyche in men; they, too, have periods of moodiness and a need for 'drama'. Can you explain this in any other way, without bias, than the simple need for attention? Men do this as often as wome.

#2. No; being a female, I've still yet to see this happen in me or my friends. We're quite fine being 'drama-free'. ^_^ I've heard about things from cheerleaders, but they're just that... v.v Don't associate with that lot.

#3. "You just don't understand me!/Why can't you understand?!", "Augh, I'm moody, I'm on my period! Why can't you just leave me alone?!" ...something like that, I imagine.

#4. Truthful problems are those created by outside stimuli; emotional development is almost exclusively internal, and is sometimes influenced by the truthful problems.

#5. No one can say for sure. People on an individual basis each develop in different patterns at different rates. However, it can be said that maturity tends to develop more slowly in the male gender, while they also tend to harness their emotions better than most women. (But hey, I can't read minds here, and I don't have a brother. ^_^ So, therefore, I have no evidence...)

#6. ...This is really biased against women, Dexter. o.o (Oh, and hi to you and Judge. I'm active again. ^_^)

Posted by Demonblade

Quoting Xenos: Where do the hermaphrodites fit in?

thats just sick...parts for everyone to enjoy.

Id have to agree with judge on this one. While many many women are emotionally unstable, the majority are very stable yet emotionally hypersensitive. They have a far superior ability to connect and feel than men. Hence the effectiveness and the naming of 'chick flicks'. The only downside is that while most women understand why they feel the way the do, they lack the ability to effectively suppress their emotions. Many try, and in sometimes doing so, they create much more 'drama' than existed in the first place. And perhaps this 'hypersensitivity' and inability to supress their feelings, spawns the need for them to talk with other females for eons on end, or nearly drive most emotionally anesthetized males to the brink of insanity with their seemingly neverending list of problems. "Im too fat, im too short, does he like me, im not ready for a relationship, do my boobs look okay? why did she say such hurtful things to me, how come he doesnt want to talk to me on the phone for three hours a day".

Who knows, i myself am no judge of the convoluted machine known as the female mind...this is just one ignorant males opinion.

Posted by Captain Cleanoff

Rule 1: never ask women about themselves. They will NEVER give you a 100 percent truthful answer, with very few exceptions.

Anyways, women are more emotional creatures, and men are more logical and visual. Women need emotional stimulation, which is why nice guys lose to jerks. Nice guys provide NO emotional stimulation cuz they are boring as hell. Jerks provide some good, but mostly bad emotional stimulation, but still provide it. Real men can provide plenty of good emotional stimulation. Nice guys and fat chicks who hate sports are in the same boat.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

#1. Was the preceding segment truth, fiction, or a mix of both? What information do you have that would support or oppose it?

Mix of both, from my experience. I've met women who dislike drama, and those that love it, and those that just don't care. Just like everything in life, you can't take a entire group and drop it into a single stereotype.

Yes. An highschool friend would try and create as much drama as she possibly could. She absolutely loved the attention. Long story short, I didn't stay friends with her for long, as she would argue about the smallest things in hope of creating the littlest amounts of drama.

#3. If a female was unaware of this process, what are the most common fabricated reasons she'll create to justify her actions? Fear, confusion, a lack of communication, etc?

Lack of communication. I don't know how many times I've heard a woman say that, whether it be a girlfriend, my mom, my sister, or whoever. They'll even use that as an excuse when there's perfect communication.

Depends on the girl. Also depends on your definition of "truthful problems".

#5. How do the men progress in their emotional development? (Let's be creative, girls. This is your opportunity)

Depends on the man.

#6. What are your overall thoughts? What additional contributions do you have to share with the rest of the class?

A lot of the questions seem to be too specific or too broad to properly answer.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Dexter: I do think we are all incredibly different. Generally, I actually believe that females develop emotionally better than guys do. Guys repress many things, which essentially makes them less interesting individuals. I grew up with seven sisters and I've seen the sever emotional turbulence that comes along with such an upbringing. I adored it. I found much of it exceptionally interesting and I've learned so much from having such a life. I find that females are overall better at communicating and expressing themselves than males. In my personal experience, however, I've found that females are shyer and far more self-doubting than males, which often hinders their communication skills and social abilities.

I think you might be understating guys some. Personally, I have emotions, and they get expressed, just not always in a verbal sense. I think that most guys are more comfortable with a physcial expression of some sort (get mad, go lift weights or something to burn off the energy, etc). I, in fact, tend to get overwhelmed when I'm really emotionally pumped up, and shut down out of an overload.

As for women being emotional and whatnot, the hormones that make women physically feminine also play a major role in emotional instability (hence going nuts during "that time") in the same way that testosterone makes guys mroe aggressive.

Posted by Klarth

I don't have any female siblings I know of, but I don't entirely support that statement. I believe that most girls' (hell, this applies to men too) emotional and psychological development is shaped by the media and the ethics of those around them.

My mother went insane for awhile a few years back, but I think that was more to do with family problems and stuff. So, no, I don't think I have.

Lack of communication, pride, lack of communication due to pride.

Circumstances. Whether or not there truly is **** going on around her determines the justification of it. Or something.

Manipulation.

...Can I leave the room?

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

I'm not even going to answer any of the questions. I'm just going to saythis:

Bollocks.

Every person is different. You can't say that emotion is required for development, and then, for example, look at someone who suppresses their emotion and tell them they're not developing. that person handles it in a different way; the best way for their development.

So what if some people cry when they skin their knee, and others don't seem to give two monkeys if their parents die? Who cares if there's someone there who does both? Emotion is a bigger thing that what is shown to the public eye. Those who show it are not any better, or worse, than those who don't.

But when you get people who show their emotions - or worse, make them up - simply because they want the attention, or feel they should according to some higher order of things - well, that's just not right, is it.

Posted by Velvet Nightmare

Quoting Lord of Spam: (hence going nuts during "that time")

Oh. fuck. I totally forgot about that.

Maybe that applies to my situation.

Posted by Linko_16

Mostly false. Almost everyone needs action and variety in the day-to-day drone society hands us; most people can satisfy emotional needs to learn, develop and be expressive through hobbies or games, but it cannot be denied that some girls, mostly due to the roles society and the media imposes on them, choose a life of emotional drama instead. So, yeah, there's a bit of truth, but to make it a general rule for the female population as a whole is ridiculous. People need to be treated as individuals about this kind of thing.

I still think my sister has totally overreacted in past boyfriend issues, whether it involved a break-up or not. Whether it was an "emotional need to create drama," I couldn't say.

Stress, or that life's been handing her a raw deal lately.

Whether or not she brought the problem on herself. You'd have to judge them individually.

The stereotypical guy (as long as it's the stereotypical girl we're talking about) just plain doesn't. Later in life, he'll have a hard time expressing and communicating his thoughts and woes.

Only that Wings rocks.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Dude, if she's THAT volatile, you're better off without her.

Edit: This is the 4th time tonight another post came between me and a post I was referenceing. I grow weary of this-.-

Posted by NES Queen

there may be some truth to this if you're referring to teenage girls, but certainly not the case with older women . there's no need to create drama for natural emotional development. normal everyday things do a fine job as is. just sitting and watching the news for 20min can run you through a whole gammet of different emotions. theres never a need to cause conflict over who said what, who's dating who, who's wearing what brand of clothes.... younge girls tend to do those things because they need attention and are missing something in their lives. a need to put others down to give the facade of bringing themselves up. but it has little to nothing to do with emotional development. maybe just maturity in general, but nothing with regards to emotions.

[quote]....uncontrollable bickering and complaining
i find this highly offensive. AA pointed it out in a previous thread about his friends horrid girlfriend, and Trigger tried to even justify this stereotypical action of females. just for the record: this type of behavior is not normal, nor a requirement for being female, and should never be tolerated by anyone. yes, we all have our bad days and bad moments. but that behavior is not gender specific.

[quote]She doesn't fully understand why she was so emotional over such trivial things because she doesn't know about her natural emotional development.
that statement is so demeaning. as if to assume that anytime a woman gets upset its over something trivial such as not being able to find her passion pink lip gloss.

Quoting ///Phantom: Rule 1: never ask women about themselves. They will NEVER give you a 100 percent truthful answer, with very few exceptions.
then you're dealing with little girls and not women. i see no benefit to lieing to others, especially when it involves someone you supposedly care deeply for such as a boyfriend. one of the most important things in a relationship is openness and honesty.

[quote]Women need emotional stimulation, which is why nice guys lose to jerks.
no, we fall for the "bad boys" because of either an innate mothering trait where we feel like we can protect them from themselves or change them into a "better" person (lisa simpson and nelson muntz) - or - out of rebellion because we know its the wrong person or something no one would expect

[quote]Nice guys provide NO emotional stimulation cuz they are boring as hell.
not true. last time i checked, love, happiness, smitten, flirty, warm & fuzzy were all emotions too. emotional stimulation does not have to come in a negative form.

[quote]Real men can provide plenty of good emotional stimulation.
exactly, see above.

[quote]Nice guys and fat chicks who hate sports are in the same boat.

jigga say what? explain..... i have no idea what you mean by this or where you were trying to go