Playing Bass

Posted by Kaise Suratu

Hey, I'm new at the bass but I can play some easy songs such as Polly by Nirvana, but I would like to know if there are any other beginner songs that I might be able to learn how to play, other than Greengay, and Nirvana that you all know.

Posted by Pit

Helloween - Heavy Metal is the Law, have fun :)

Posted by MetalVox~55

I'd recommend anything by Vic Wooten or Billy Sheehan if you're a first timer. Good intro stuff.

Posted by sabre

Smoke on the Water is pretty good for beginners. Start out by just doing a simplified version before adding in the fun little licks. Pretty much the first song I learnt on the instrument, I think.

A lot of White Stripes stuff has simple bass lines, too, if you're a White Stripes fan you might wanna check that out. Just for building up confidence, more than anything.

Awesome choice of instrument, by the way.

Posted by Richaod

Quoting MetalVox~55: Billy Sheehan

...whoa, sounds impossible to me...

Iron Maiden is good, and they have a pretty heavy emphasis on the bass.

Posted by brownoystercult

You can always try some Red Hot Chili Peppers also.

Flea is a great bassist.

Posted by Shade

The Glass Prison, by Dream Theater.

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Shade: The Glass Prison, by Dream Theater.

that's, like, one of their hardest songs on bass. Especially during the solo...

Posted by sabre

Quoting Richaod: ...whoa, sounds impossible to me...
That's kind of the entire point of the joke. You know, one of those ha ha things.

That said though, some people seem to generally not get the point of this thread. Cough cough "Flea is a great bassist" cough cough. There's a difference between a thread saying "hay, i want some songs with awethum bass lines" and one saying "Please find some easy stuff for me to play, I'm very much a beginner."

Posted by Shade

Hm...beginner, oh, try some 3 Doors Down songs.

[quote]that's, like, one of their hardest songs on bass. Especially during the solo...

Exactly.

Posted by Kaise Suratu

Some of the songs you all are mentioning are close to imposible to learn for beginners. I downloaded some Sheehan lessons and the dude doesn't teach anything except talk about his live experience.

I'm teaching myself how to play Iron Maiden.