great books

Posted by fig roll

tell me what you think are great books and tell me why cos i need something to read, my book collection is crap.

just say what there called and what there about, cheers.

Posted by Shade

Shade's Children by Garth Nix

Basically, it's this world where humans are kept in dormitories until their 14 birthday, when the Overlords harvest their brains and muscles and put them into their machine creatures to wage war on each other. There are a few kids who managed to get out of the dormitories using some skill they might have, raw strength, etc. They are found by Shade, a mysterious entity, who uses them in teams to gather information on the Overlords, and to maybe cause their downfall.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Hitch Hikers Guide Series, 1984, Farenheit 451.

I know I have a lot more books that I love, but my mind seems to have blanked for the moment.

Posted by fig roll

First of all - great job understanding my question, i hardly understood it.

second - that sounds like quite a good book, i might go and buy it or at least find a shop that sells it and read it in store untill i get chucked out.

lastly - more great books please, i need to read.

Posted by fig roll

ive seen the hitch hikers guide film but havent read the series so i might give that a go as well.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting fig roll: second - that sounds like quite a good book, i might go and buy it or at least find a shop that sells it and read it in store untill i get chucked out.

Library. Problem solved.

Posted by fig roll

yes of course!

now why didnt i think of that

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

:rolleyes:

Prey, by Michael Crichton. Excellent sci-fi.

Posted by Shade

You have to BUY Shade's Children. You know why? Because you'll want to read it again, many more times. Is it worth that many trips to the library? No. So buy it. :)

Posted by fig roll

ok i'll read the **** book, now shut up and let other people have a go.

i'll write back on here when ive read it or if someone elce gives and interesting book to read.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: ive seen the hitch hikers guide film but havent read the series so i might give that a go as well.

The movie is REALLY different from the books. In a bad way. So if you liked the movie even a tiny bit, you'll absolutely adore the books. Easily the best ever written, in my opinion.

And while on the subject of Douglas Adams, I also suggest the Dirk Gently series. There's only to books, but they're really interesting and odd. Very enjoyable to read.

Lastly, Battle Royale. If you like murder, gore, and adventure, you should really love this book. Twisted and very interesting. Quite the page-turner, really.

Posted by fig roll

cool!!

Posted by Klarth

Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson. The whole thing's about neural hacking, virtual reality and a ruthless business tycoon on a network of barges in the middle of the ocean. I read it three or four years ago - Go pick it up or something.

Posted by fig roll

ive written down all the book sugestions and if i see any of them anyware i'll buy them or rent them or whatever.

thanks

any more great books anyone knows of tell me about them here.

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

Well, this might not be to your taste, since I read elsewhere that you found Pratchett's two books intimidating, but I highly recommend the Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. Martin. Just don't read all four books in one go, or you'll be in the library for two weeks.

I'm also going to say New World, by Gillian Cross. Not a writer a lot of people like (or even know of), but I like this one in particular.

And, those without explanation:

Terry Pratchett - Thief of Time.
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry - The Little Prince
Michael Crichton - pretty much anything, although I'd start with Timeline and work my way up to Rising Sun.
Philip Pullman - His Dark Materials trilogy

And the non-fiction:
Tony Hawks - Round Ireland With A Fridge
Richard Pryor - Pryor Convictions
Lynne Truss - Eats, Shoots and Leaves

That should be enough to be going on with, methinks.

Posted by nich

Quoting Wings: Well, this might not be to your taste, since I read elsewhere that you found Pratchett's two books intimidating, but I highly recommend the Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. Martin. Just don't read all four books in one go, or you'll be in the library for two weeks.

Philip Pullman - His Dark Materials trilogy

I second those recomendations, especially A Song of Ice and Fire. As for the others I'm sure they are excellent I've just never read them. Go ahead and look for James clavell, hes a brilliant author.

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

nich - what did you think of A Feast For Crows? A lot of people found it disappointing, but I found it quite interesting from the politics side of things - especially what happened to Cersei at the end, and Arya when she woke up.

Posted by nich

It was only a little dissapointing because there was a lack of Jon, Daenerys, and Bran otherwise no complaints. I was wishing something would happen to Cersei but I never thought that would happen, and I was equally surprised at Jamie's actions in response. My heart skipped a beat when Arya woke up, and what of Sansa? I'm excited. I think I like the direction things are going towards the conclusion, should be excellent.

Basically I thought it was good, not as good as the others but good.

Posted by Demonblade

Apollyon---its a fictional christianity based novel based on The Judgements and the coming of the anti christ.

Fairly decent novel, i am by no means religious, in fact i sway away from all things religion as much as possible, but i was bored and i had a long flight home...and the title "Apollyon: The Destroyer is Unleashed" is awefully hard to resist. Its quite an eye opener for those swaying on the verge of religion...

Posted by higbvuyb

Prelude to Foundation, Isaac Asimov.