Know any good RPGs?

Posted by FaytLeingod99

I'm the kind of guy that loves to buy rpgs but lately they have all been soooo boring. I need one of those that just captures your attention and makes you want to play it all the time. Also does anyone know of any games that have character development like fable. So hey if anybody could recommend a few good rpgs i'd be grateful.

Posted by waffles@myface

try playin baten kaitos on game cube

Posted by santaclausdude

lol try the FF series

Also there are lots of MMORPGs like Dofus, RuneScape, Warcraft and Guild Wars

Posted by Sword of Light

runescape

Posted by Dragner

I really got into the DarkCloud series for the PS2 Its more of an action RPG but its really cool how you can put towns back together however you want. Now I'm having the same problem I'v goon though all the RPGs I have and would also like some suggestions.

Posted by Dexter

Quoting waffles@myface: try playin baten kaitos on game cube

I'll second this. The game was terrific, especially if you are into fantastic stories and character development.

Also, try Tales of Symphonia or Paper Mario for the Game Cube.

I'm currently going through Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles. I'm not too impressed with it, especially compared to Tales of Symphonia or the original Final Fantasy for the NES. I think because so much of it depends on having a Game Boy Advance and the hook up with some extra players. It makes the actual single player game weak.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Dungeons and Dragons is the best RPG ever made. End of Story.

Posted by Dexter

Dungeons & Dragons lacks the emotional storyline that came with Tales of Symphonia or Baten Kaitos. Sure, it is far more customable, but it doesn't sound like he is desiring the numerous modifications that Dungeons & Dragons has to offer. FaytLeingod99 wants something that captures his attention, meaning he is asking for someone else to offer the game play and the storyline. He also wants character development like Fable, which Tales of Symphonia and Baten Kaitos essentially gives. I would say they offer more character development than Fable does. It is one of their strong points.

Posted by Lord of Spam

DnD is all about character development, and the story is as emotional as you make it. It carries the most potential of any RPG. As for effort, its minimal for anyone with a decently working mind. Its really the best:cool:

Posted by Klarth

Tales of Symphonia (Gamecube), Tales of Eternia (PSP), Tales of Phantasia (SNES, PS or GBA), Xenogears (PS), Valkyrie Profile (PS), Final Fantasy VI (SNES), Fable: The Lost Chapters (Xbox), Morrowind (Xbox).

Knock yerself out.

Posted by Demonblade

Very few RPG's have been able to hold my attention very well after playing FF7, but you should certainly give Spellforce (PC), Star Ocean 2: The second story (PS1), Star Ocean: Till the end of time (PS2). Another free online game, if you can stand it...is Maple Story. Ill have to talk to my lil bro, he is more current on video games these days than i am.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Protip: MapleStory consists of killing the same enemy 5000 times before you even get halfway to a level up.

Posted by Demonblade

Quoting Lord of Spam: Protip: MapleStory consists of killing the same enemy 5000 times before you even get halfway to a level up.

quite true...any time i can actually bring myslef to play that game is driven solely because im given the opportunity to play with my little brothers back home. Its a very....'kiddy' game...

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

Baldur's Gate (PC), Baldur's Gate II (PC), Icewind Dale (PC), Neverwinter Nights (PC), Guild Wars (PC, online), Disgaea: Hour of Darkness (PS2, a must), Shadow Hearts (PS2), Shadow Hearts: Convenant (PS2), Drakan: The Ancient's Gates (PS2), Chrono Cross (PS), Jade Cocoon 2 is fun (PS2), Dark Cloud (PS), Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver (PS), the list goes on. FFVII, VIII and X are always enjoyable, or so I find.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Angelwing, if you dont play normal DnD after listing that many crappy DnD ripoffs, I might have to eat your face.

I used to play DnD for Intellivision!

Posted by Lord of Spam

*munch*

Seriously, if you can get a group of friends to get together and play, preferably with at least one experianced player to act as a guide, its freaking awesome.

Heh, I have no friends that would be interested in playing around here, and I don't think I could be too interested with it for very long, either.

Posted by Lord of Spam

You're definately getting snacked on.

DnD takes a fair amount of reading to learn the rules. The players guide is over 200 pages. Granted its not all essential to be read, and there are a LOT of charts, graphs, and illustrations taking up space. But still, I good 50 pages or so should be read if you plan on having someone who knows the game intro you.

Also, my [url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/penguinbob/cover.jpg]3rd edtion Players handbook[/url] has been signed by [url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/penguinbob/inside.jpg]mc chris AKA mc peepants AKA Sir Loin AKa Hesh[/url]. I am nerd. Hear me roar.

Is this mc chris character supposed to be special or something?

I know there are many rules, and I suppose I could find it fun, depending on who I'm playing with. But like I said, I don't know anyone who would play, nevermind who knows the rules, in and out more or less.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Holy hell. He's a character on both Aqua Teen Hunger Force and SeaLab 2012, AND a successful nerdcore rapper.

[url]www.mcchris.com[/url]

I have no idea what Aqua Teen Hunger Force and SeaLab 2012 is, nor do I enjoy rap of any kind!

Posted by FaytLeingod99

I was really hoping someone would mention the FF series. i seriously think that FF7 was one of the best games ever made. i like DnD too but none of my friends or family are into it, so i never have anyone to play with. I beat Star Ocean till the end of time a couple months after it came out, and let me tell you that was a great game! anyway thanks for all the suggestions, i've noticed alot of the new rpg's are just lacking the emotional storyline and hopefully these games mentioned will keep me busy for awhile.

Posted by Fate

Dragon Quest is good.

Posted by Lord of Spam

...if you like playing dragon ball z MkII while killing little balls of sludge.

And Anglewing.... I never thought I'd say this to any one, but you need to watch more tv.:(

And its NERD rap, so its okay.:cool:

Posted by Fate

You haven't played it because you think it looks retarded. Games aren't solely on looks, you know.

Posted by Lord of Spam

...coming from a person who is in a game design school, and who chooses to specialize in graphics...

Actually, I watched it being played. It didnt look interesting at all. So, i gave it a chance and started it. Turns out it wasnt fun for me, so I quit. [spoiler]I'm not trying to start an argument. You presented your opinion, and I presented mine. Its not going to go any farther than that without being an "LOL NO UR WRONG" debate, which nobody enjoys.[/spoiler]

Posted by Fate

Just because I will specialize in graphics doesn't mean I can't appreciate gameplay. :(

Posted by Lord of Spam

invisible text get

It was just a joke. Like I said, I didnt enjoy it. It seemed rediculously linear and uninspired. The art style was jsut a ripoff of DB. But thats just me.

Posted by Fate

Okay, I can accept that. But just so you know, it can't be a ripoff since it is Toriyama's art. :/

Posted by Lord of Spam

I would argue that it may not be a ripoff in the sense of someone stealing his art style, but I would say that since the character design seems identical that the game rips off the series to a certain degree.

Posted by Fate

I guess you can say the same thing for Chrono Trigger, Sandland, and Dr. Slump.

Posted by Xenos

CT was designed by Akira, though.

Posted by Lord of Spam

So was DW.

And I've never played those games, so I cant really say. If they have the same exact style though, then yes, they too are rip offs.

Posted by Xenos

CT didn't really ... display the style that much. Mainly because I'll say, "Good luck!" if you want to draw a Goku-like figure in a way you can recognize it by spirting.

Posted by Slade

Okay, I don't like Dragon Ball Z at all. I watched a couple episodes and hated it. Dragon Quest VIII, though, I'm only 13 hours or so into it but I'm hooked. I like the art style, and the antics of the characters are pretty hilarious at times. It's one game I can play for hours without getting bored and wanting to move on.