Link can talk?!?!?

Posted by -Fierce_Deity_Link-

SPOILER WARNING!

Everyone thought he couldn't talk. All you people out, he does talk!!! He says "Come here!" in LoZ: Wind Waker. If you have ever completed Wind Waker, you would know he can talk. He says it to Medli to come to him.

Link can talk!!

Posted by Pit

We never denied him talking. It's obvious the character can talk, the thing is, he doesn't have dialogue in the game. That's entirely different.

Quoting Pit: We never denied him talking. It's obvious the character can talk, the thing is, he doesn't have dialogue in the game. That's entirely different.

I never said you guys denied it. I meant as in Wikipedia.

Posted by Xero

Of course link can talk. The fact that hes making all these yelling sounds everytime we make him slash an ennemi with his sword proves he has a tongue...

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: The fact that hes making all these yelling sounds everytime we make him slash an ennemi with his sword proves he has a tongue...

I'm pretty positive mutes can make throaty, grunting noises. It's just that whole vocalisation thing...

Anywho, Wiki, contrary to popular belief, is not the definitive source for all knowledge. So don't take it as such.

Posted by Xero

ah ok. Thanx for that peice of info :D

Posted by Zeta

[quote=Link from Zelda II]I FOUND A MIRROR!

I like how Link screams in Wind Waker!

Posted by linkfreak112

thanks for the info i never knew that

You do now!

Posted by Xero

Link plz stop posting behind him ok? If you keep doing this, the mods will get excited ;)

What, you mean linkfreak112? He's my friend.

Posted by Xero

M'kay...but I'm sayin stop posting useless stuff behind him ;)

Posted by maian

Well, we all knew Link could talk. The reason Nintendo doesn't give him dialogue is for you to imagine him as your own. I don't think they really meant for his character not to be able to speak. :cookie:

Posted by Klarth

Silent protagonists are fun; plenty of games have 'em. See: Pokemon, Chrono Trigger, GTA3...

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

Personally, I'd rather see them talk.

But whatever. We know Link talks, and that people can post garbage on Wikipedia.

Posted by Sword of Light

of corse he can talk he says yes to questions mabe not aloud but i own wind waker i think he may i not sure but he usually makes noises that sound constapated

Posted by Xero

Quoting Angelwing: Personally, I'd rather see them talk.

I dint really mind if link dint talk. That made less blabla in the game, so it was faster.

Posted by Sk2k52

I checked wikipedia, and found nowhere that said he can't talk...

Closest thing they say was he seldom talked.

Posted by Xero

The question here is, can we trust what wikipedia sais?

Posted by Alastor

Quoting -Fierce_Deity_Link-: SPOILER WARNING!

Everyone thought he couldn't talk. All you people out, he does talk!!! He says "Come here!" in LoZ: Wind Waker. If you have ever completed Wind Waker, you would know he can talk. He says it to Medli to come to him.

Link can talk!!

He says "Come on," not "Come here!"

Check your facts, hokay?

Quoted post: Silent protagonists are fun; plenty of games have 'em. See: Pokemon, Chrono Trigger, GTA3...

HALF-LIFE.

Quoted post: The question here is, can we trust what wikipedia sais?

I'd say 95% of the time.

Posted by Colonel

Link's a living hyrulian, of course he can talk. he's not a mute.

Posted by Barrysun

Yea, altho he does alot of battle cries in soul Calilbur 2, it does prove he isn't mute in some ways.

Posted by truekillforfun

yes in some games he can talk but he dosent say anything in the older games. he dosent talk in wind waker. it just shows .... and he looks to the side.

Posted by Arczu

Just because the character doesn't speak, doesn't mean they CANNOT speak. He would say something if he was scripted to do so, but again, he does not "talk" per se to leave it to the imagination of the player.

Sure he makes all those grunting and guts noises, and that shout there is nearly grouped in with all the other sounds he makes.

He has 0 dialogue while each other character has pages. The characters in the Zelda games don't even make many audiable noises either. Like Ganondwarf or Zelda or so on...

Quoted post: The characters in the Zelda games don't even make many audiable noises either. Like Ganondwarf or Zelda or so on...

Laughs and whatnot. But they have tons of dialogue.

Posted by sonic hedgehog

[quote]The question here is, can we trust what wikipedia sais?

to a point, yes but you shouldn't trust any1 absolutly, and I wish nintendo would create an extra game mode where link has dialogue...

Posted by Zeta

In after bumping of a year-old thread.

Posted by Locke Cole

Link talks but that is your part to fill, he has no dialogue because it gives you a better feeling of connection to the story by making up your own lines. Plus anyone ever see the cartoon? I rest my case.

Posted by Roger Smith

Hah, I remember this thread, but yeah stop bumping you queers.

Posted by Skitzo Control

Not to mention that when people ask him a question, there's a pause, and then they'll go, "____, yeah?" For example, when you become an adult in LoZ: OoT, and you get Epona. Malin will ask you, "What's your name?" Apparently, you answer, and she goes, "Link?! You're the fairy boy!" or something to that affect.

Sidenote: I was always offended when she called "me" a fairy boy.:(

Quoted post: and then they'll go, "wack yeah?"

Posted by Tendo

Quoting -Fierce_Deity_Link-: I like how Link screams in Wind Waker!

Yeah it sounds real cute lol,

Quoting -Locke Cole: Link talks but that is your part to fill, he has no dialogue because it gives you a better feeling of connection to the story by making up your own lines. Plus anyone ever see the cartoon? I rest my case.
I agree and like in OOT when he's talking to Zelda as a kid, when he says something it only comes up as ...... so you can put in what Link says (it's kinda cool) I haven't seen the shows but I read the mangas

Posted by O.T.L

when link uses the spin move he says S*** ! really loudly ...

he says it best in melee ....

Posted by Average n00b

Well..It's really obvious that he does talk, but just doesn't show his dialouge when he's talking to someone. Notice how everyone says something like, "So, your name's Link?" or "Oh..So that's what happened" And so on and so forth. I like it how it's silent like Maian said, it lets you think of what he's saying or what he sounds like.

Posted by Hyperactive Poster

What a great thread........... :/

If you think about it, he may use sign language in most incidents, it would explain why people respond to him when it appears that he says nothing.

But hell, I'm sure one could come up with 100 other scenarios as to why he never talks. I prefer to believe that it would have cost money to hire a voice actor and/or it was easier not having to come up with all that dialog. The latter would pertain to the earlier games.

it's the same reason they still use midi music. Nintendo doesn't see a point in spending the money for all that **** when they could just pass it off as keeping the feel of the old games.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD-i_games_based_on_The_Legend_of_Zelda_series

Link talks plenty if the CD I games, even thought they are horrid, Nintendo gave them the license so......

Posted by O.T.L

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-G606c-Gqs

That was more pathetic then Newgrounds LOZ parodies.

Posted by Ziggy R

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: it's the same reason they still use midi music. Nintendo doesn't see a point in spending the money for all that **** when they could just pass it off as keeping the feel of the old games.

I thought it was more of "orchestra" now.

Maybe one or two tracks, sure.

Posted by Ziggy R

more like at least one whole soundtrack.

I think the whole music in LOZ:TP is orchestra...

Nope. Definitely not. It'll all MIDI save for one or two tracks. Koji Kondo himself said orchestration would've been pointless for that specific title.

Posted by Tyler Durden

Musical orchestration within an LoZ title?!

That's preposterous!

Ever since the days of NES, it's always sounded like polyphonic trainwrecks to me.

Posted by Aeroshadow5098

hey hey. link can talk. Remember those crappy CD-I games? he actually talks in those ones. But I would understand if those didn't count because those just sucked!

Posted by Dexter

Wikipedia apparently never saw the Zelda cartoon series. Link talks too much to ever be considered cool.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

That show was so much better than 99.9999% of children's TV programming, though. Captain N had its moments, too.

Cartoons back then were great. What are you talking about it? The Zelda cartoon was abysmal compared to all that stuff.

BS, I say. Check out 1up.com's feature on old cartoons based on video games. Those are just the other video game cartoons and they've got more Suck in the 30-second clips than The Legend of Zelda, Super Mario Brothers, and Captain N shows had in their entire runs combined. Outside of video games, crap like Captain Planet, Peter Pan and the Pirates, Kidd Video, Galaxy High, Teen Wolf, and any of the Scooby Doo episodes with Scrappy Doo in them only dream of having writing like Nintendo's cartoons had.

Posted by Astanax

I'm just adding my two cents since I've been a member since what, 2005, and I only have a couple of posts to my name?

Yeah, I grew up with the Legend of Zelda cartoons. After watching them on DVD from Netflix, I've realized how corny it got. Gandolf was making corny jokes and doing stupid stuff like, "You don't fight him like that, you fight him like THIS!" and started punching and kicking the air.

Super Mario Brothers Super Show was good, and so were a couple other Nintendo cartoons. Man, if only I still had the original trading cards for the Nintendo cartoons.

Link talks in the cartoons like the other people have mentioned like a year before me, and in that cartoon, he has this 80's slang like, "Well exccccccccuuuse me princess!" and Princess Zelda was a hottie during my youth as a kid. She was a hottie, and a girl who kicked butt with Link's magical bow and arrow.

So yeah, Link did a lot of talking in the cartoon, with 80's slang =) I think that was one of the cartoons where Link was also right handed. I don't know how the left handed part came about since I know he's been left handed since his first premiere, but seeing him with his sword in his right hand is just as peculiar as hearing him speak more than a couple of words in his games.

Posted by Astanax

I'm just adding my two cents since I've been a member since what, 2005, and I only have a couple of posts to my name?

Yeah, I grew up with the Legend of Zelda cartoons. After watching them on DVD from Netflix, I've realized how corny it got. Gandolf was making corny jokes and doing stupid stuff like, "You don't fight him like that, you fight him like THIS!" and started punching and kicking the air.

Super Mario Brothers Super Show was good, and so were a couple other Nintendo cartoons. Man, if only I still had the original trading cards for the Nintendo cartoons.

Link talks in the cartoons like the other people have mentioned like a year before me, and in that cartoon, he has this 80's slang like, "Well exccccccccuuuse me princess!" and Princess Zelda was a hottie during my youth as a kid. She was a hottie, and a girl who kicked butt with Link's magical bow and arrow.

So yeah, Link did a lot of talking in the cartoon, with 80's slang =) I think that was one of the cartoons where Link was also right handed. I don't know how the left handed part came about since I know he's been left handed since his first premiere, but seeing him with his sword in his right hand is just as peculiar as hearing him speak more than a couple of words in his games.

Link being left-handed was a programming error in the original game. The game's programming mirrored Link's sprite for some reason. It wasn't a big deal until they made sure to make Link left-handed in A Link to the Past as an homage. From that point on, Link became the Lefty Hero (except in the Wii's version of Twilight Princess, of course). The cartoon was made before left-handed Link became a series mainstay.