GTA working on 1.50

Posted by Klarth

Thank you MPH!

[quote]Everything was working out peachy for PSP Gamers, or so they thought as they started to enjoy the homebrew and their current PSP games off the same handheld earlier this year. Then Sony started releasing firmware updates. This update not only added a few nice features for video / web browsing but at the same time disabled the homebrew exploit, KXploit.

This is where MPH comes in. When a PSP is upgraded to 2.0, Sony had temporarily prevented all previous forms of running homebrew on the PSP(hacks that ran via Kxploit), with the help of determined and noteworthy developers such as Groepaz and MPH, among others they succeeded in releasing a downgrader from PSP System Software version 2.0 to 1.5. Thus allowing PSP gamers to have full access to their PSP's again.

Sony has been relentless and has been releasing more updates, 3 individual updates, in fact since the last time the PSP was blocked and then rehacked. Some updates are purely "preventative" ones. That "prevent a hacker from bricking your psp" (aka reblocking the ability to run homebrew.) While others actually serve a purpose, from the likes of adding Location Free connectivity to simple RSS feed integration.

This latest update from MPH won't cease to amaze, as MPH announced that they have succeeded in launching Grand Theft Auto on his 1.50 version PSP. Loading GTA as a UMD or ISO for that matter was futile previously on 1.5 PSP's, since GTA requires files in the 2.0 library in order to function. This resulted in people needing to update to 2.0 in order to play GTA on their PSP or have another PSP with 2.0+ System Software. Needless to say this is a major step forward in fully unlocking the PSP so gamers may do whatever they wish with a handheld that they purchased for their enjoyment.

In order to run this exploit you must have the following:
- GTA:LCS official Game or ISO Backup (that you must create from your legally owned copy)
- You will need umd emulator, umdgen and a tool called DecryptPRX which is no other than a modification of the psardump tool of psppet.
http://mphwebsite.tuxfamily.org/index.php?program=16

Time to downgrade again, then.

Posted by higbvuyb

Why bother blocking this when people will find another way to unblock it anyway? and if someone bricks their PSP, Sony doesn't have to replace them, either.

Posted by Klarth

No, but the dumb *****es at Wal-Mart probably will.

And the only reason it's blocked is because the game actually uses PRX, mp4(AVC) and TIF libraries only available in firmware 2.00 and higher. By having a firmware dump on your memory stick and altered PRX files in the ISO, you can launch GTA.

Posted by Velvet Nightmare

Quoting Klarth: No, but the dumb *****es at Wal-Mart probably will.

Ahem, **Best Buy. I've returned quite a few after bricking them, saying "i charged it, then it wouldn't turn on. I need a new one."

But wonderful news, now I can actually play GTA with my virgin 1.5 instead of the 2.0. Homebrew + GTA = Cool.