When did E3 get so expensive?

Posted by Prince Shondronai

When I went back in '01, it was only $150. Now it's $500! I was just going to write the whole thing off as a business expense anyway, but screw that, now. I can buy a new game for my business for that, including the airfare and hotel room!

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Probably since the cost of putting the show on went up (or so I imagine)

And probably to deter those that aren't actually in the business (ie. kids who work at Gamestop).

Posted by Fate

E3 is more of a commercial event, anyways.

Posted by Speedfreak

I'm guessing by that you meant an industry invent.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

Vampiro, I don't think the cost of putting on the show has gone up since it moved to Lost Angles. The individual exhibitors are the ones footing the bills for their own booths, and they don't make a dime from the admission price. Their goal is to put on the biggest spectacle they can for the press. If anything, they would want more people going.

As you said, I think it has more to do with keeping people like me out, who just want to play the games and do little more advertising for them than gloating maliciously about how cool the show is on the message boards.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: Vampiro, I don't think the cost of putting on the show has gone up since it moved to Lost Angles. The individual exhibitors are the ones footing the bills for their own booths, and they don't make a dime from the admission price. Their goal is to put on the biggest spectacle they can for the press. If anything, they would want more people going.

They still have to worry about the cost of renting out the arena. Surely the price of that has increased, just like pretty much everything else. I wouldn't doubt that that has something to do with the admission price.

Quoted post: I'm guessing by that you meant an industry invent.

Commercial event as in, it's more about the product and its commercial success, rather than about all of the hard facts. I'm guessing that's what GDC is for.

Posted by Sword of Light

what e3 i terribly bad noob

Posted by Roger Smith

Quoting Sword of Light: what e3 i terribly bad noob

HAH you make me laugh, continue to do so.

I want to go to E3 one day. Too bad you have to be 21>_>

Posted by Chrono

The only reason the cost has gone so high is that they've hired me to give speeches. And believe you me, I don't make public appearances for paltry sums of money!

Posted by VirtualRealityZone

Quoting Zerk: The only reason the cost has gone so high is that they've hired me to give speeches. And believe you me, I don't make public appearances for paltry sums of money!

That was not cleaver, nor funny.

Posted by Dragner

Quoting Sword of Light: what e3 i terribly bad noob

Its one of the biggest game conventions there is its where all the companies and stuff show what new things they are working on. But yeah its not really for use little people it mostly investors and gaming mags.

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting Vampiro: I'm guessing that's what GDC is for.

Yeah... I'd actually have my expenses paid to go to GDC, and I've got friends in classes ahead of me that I'd be going with. Sadly, I'm in the middle of my first class where I'm creating a game with a randomly-selected team (which makes missing class a big no-no), and after our instructor (Dustin Clingman) asked who was planning to go only a couple of us raised our hands. So... he had no grounds to cancel the class for the event, even if he and the associate course director are still going.

GRRR! And all we'd miss would be Q&A (Bug report) for the other teams.

As for E3, I'm only going if it falls on break, since I'd save up the money originally set for GDC on that trip... but that won't likely happen.

Posted by Velvet Nightmare

Quoting Roger Smith: HAH you make me laugh, continue to do so.

I want to go to E3 one day. Too bad you have to be 21>_>

18*

And no age if you have all access.

Posted by Roger Smith

Quoting Velvet Nightmare: 18*

And no age if you have all access.

I thought you had to be 21 because of the whole alcoholic beverages thing.

Posted by JonMB

I've heard about the prices going up. I have access to free E3 tickets since my web site is affiliated with Gamespy, but unfortunately I live in Florida and California is all the way across the country. Maybe I'll go one day but probably not this year.