Konami has destroyed my childhood

Posted by Speedfreak

When I was a kid my favourite games characters were Mario, Sparkster, Twinbee and Bomberman. Konami are (now) the owners of the last 3 of those. First they decided to kill off Sparkster and Twinbee, apparantly fun and crazy games just don't cut it anymore, which is why all their games are now about blood and tits (exlcuding Kojima's studio).

Now, Bomberman has recently become a bit of an annoying, ribbon-wearing retard, but back in the day he was actually pretty cool, as were his games. After Konami's aquisition of Hudson they've decided to kill off Bomberman. Well, kill off the Bomberman we once knew, at any rate. What they've done to him is absolutely obscene, the very definition of "Xtreme".
Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Bomberman's corpse:
[COLOR=#00ff00][/COLOR]
[IMG]http://images.xboxyde.com/gallery/public/2659/958_0001.jpg[/IMG][URL="http://www.antimatteruniverse.com/davidhasslehoff-loves-teh-c.gif"][/URL]

Posted by Zeta

You've gotta be ****ing kidding me! They're turning him into that!? They've destroyed him!

*Cries and cuddles up to Bomberman 64: The Second Attack game*

Posted by Klarth

what the ****? This is some kind of horrible joke, right?! I honestly don't see why they'd do this...

Whatever, go Namco I guess. Can't wait to see what they're planning on doing to Pac-Man. :/

Posted by Lord of Spam

I see pixels. PLEASE WACKO LET THAT BE A 'SHOP.

Posted by Speedfreak

Konami, dude. Konami did this, not Namco. It's in the title? :p

Posted by Zeta

Quoting Klarth: Whatever, go Namco I guess. Can't wait to see what they're planning on doing to Pac-Man. :/

:(
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/Kvar/NewPacMan.jpg[/IMG]

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Speedfreak: Konami, dude. Konami did this, not Namco. It's in the title? :p

I was saying I support Namco over Konami and always have. ;o Sorry for making it ambiguous.

And Zeta's 'shop hurts my brain.

Posted by Zeta

Why couldn't they just make a new franchise with that guy? :(

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Didn't these photos come out awhile ago?

Either way, I don't see why they had to change Bomberman into that. They could have just created a whole new character.

Posted by Aesthetic

Anybody else see a striking resemblance to Spawn? Not bashing Todd McFarlane, as the comic book series is quite good, but Bomberman was never meant to look like this.
:-\

Posted by Crazy K

I like the charecter, but why does this charecter have to be Bomberman? :(

Quoted post: Anybody else see a striking resemblance to Spawn? Not bashing Todd McFarlane, as the comic book series is quite good, but Bomberman was never meant to look like this.

Yeah, I definitely see what you're saying. In fact, I'm pretty sure an action figure was made that looked nearly identical.

Posted by Dexter

Blame Xbox and the direction it is leading the gaming culture, k?

Posted by boomstick

Never cared much for either the Bomberman games or the character, but I can see how this would make most say WTF?

I mean there's no real need for this change and they could've easily made this a new franchise.

Posted by Ant

Quoting Dexter: Blame Xbox and the direction it is leading the gaming culture, k?

Agreed

It's sad but true. IF THE MAIN CHARACTER IS KUEL IT WILL MAKE TEH GAME BETTAR!

Posted by Lord of Spam

Worked for Wacko of War:/

Posted by brownoystercult

I think he looks pretty cool.

Yeah, yeah, I know what hes supposed to look like and all that, but I'm looking forward to it. He looks pretty badass to me.

Posted by Ant

Quoting Lord of Spam: Worked for Wacko of War:/

It was a game meant for that though. And it didn't start as something else.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Meh, I guess.

Posted by Dexter

Long live kiddy animation! I wouldn't mind so much if they got graphic with the gore and sadistic bombings, much like the work of Conker, but this is ridiculous. Completely unacceptable.

The original Bomberman was the most recent game I beat for my NES.

Quoted post: It was a game meant for that though. And it didn't start as something else.

As opposed to?...

I don't recall MS taking a character and turning it XTREME like the new Bomberman. Though I do agree with Dex, to a degree, it's not JUST the Xbox. It's also Sony. They're not helping much either.

Quoted post:
Yeah, yeah, I know what hes supposed to look like and all that, but I'm looking forward to it. He looks pretty badass to me.

Agreed. It's looks like it could be pretty cool, but, like I said, they didn't HAVE to use Bomberman. Plus, what the hell kinda of name is Bomberman for a 'bot like that?

Posted by Prince Shondronai

I can hear the brainstorm session in my head:

Knob #1: "We need Spawn...but mechanical Spawn."
Knob #2: "Yeah! We'll put Bomberman in a metal suit with chains, and give it a scar!"
Intern Knob: "Oooooo! Can he have one of those funky glowing circles on his chest like half the Soul Calibur freaks?"
Knob #1: "Why not?"
Intern Knob: "And there should be a chick Bomberman, too! I wanna model boobies!"
Alltogethernow: "Perfect!"

Posted by Klarth

[quote=Vampiro]As opposed to?...
Bomberman.

Sorry, I meant bOmBeRmAn-DaRk-AcT-zEr0-mAsTERchIEF-1994.

Posted by Fate

Character is cool, like other people said, but it's not Bomberman.

I guess it's like a reverse-chibi thing.

LoS: WTF are you talking about in God of War?

Quoted post: Bomberman.

I meant when else has it happened. I can't remember the last character who was taken and turned into... well, whatever Bomberman is now.

Posted by Game Over

Don't say you never expected that, in the back of our heads we all knew this was coming.......and it's not over...........

Posted by Pit

Quoting Ant: Agreed

It's sad but true. IF THE MAIN CHARACTER IS KUEL IT WILL MAKE TEH GAME BETTAR!

What the **** is so cool about Master Chief?

Quoted post: Don't say you never expected that, in the back of our heads we all knew this was coming.......and it's not over...........

You're telling me you expected Bomberman to turn into that?

Posted by Zeta

Quoting Pit: What the **** is so cool about Master Chief?

Liek, he shots stuff and is in an M game![/n00b]

Posted by Game Over

No, not that I expected..........that, it's more of a symbol if you think about it. How one little harmless game will never stay, but everyone knows it has to happen sometime, think about any character, there was and will always be change......When the original nintendo came out....who ever thought, you would see mario playing soccer?.......ok bad example but s/t like that.

Posted by Pit

Quoting Zeta: Liek, he shots stuff and is in an M game![/n00b]

Yeah, though I love how it's "Xbox's" fault, I mean, it wasn't Sony who started the trend to rated M games, right?

I MEAN HALO WAS THE FIRST RATED M GAME WITH VIOLENCE LOL RIGHT DEX!?

Posted by Fate

Since the "gaming culture" is never supposed to change. Ever.

Posted by Pit

Quoting Fate: Since the "gaming culture" is never supposed to change. Ever.

It hasn't. There's always been violent games and sex oriented games since Atari. It's practically the same just with better graphics and more "realism" to it.

Wait, what the **** does this have to do with bomberman again?

He looks gay and spawn inspired things suck.

Posted by Fate

So by that, the Xbox nor the PS2 have done anything.

Posted by Pit

Quoting Fate: So by that, the Xbox nor the PS2 have done anything.

Exactly. I was being sarcastic in my post!

I mean, come on, Atari with games in which you shoot semen from a 5 story building to a hookers mouth below... yeah, I mean, that's okay!

Quoted post: So by that, the Xbox nor the PS2 have done anything.

Just amplified it and made it cool basically

Posted by Zeta

Quoting Pit: I mean, come on, Atari with games in which you shoot semen from a 5 story building to a hookers mouth below... yeah, I mean, that's okay!

What the hell!? What game was that!? O_o

Posted by Pit

How about the game, in which you're a cowboy and at the end of the level you **** the indian chick tied to a cactus?

Posted by Zeta

K, WTF?! I've never heard about any of this stuff? Did violence and sex in games only get the attention of parents post Mortal Kombat?

Posted by Pit

Quoting Zeta: K, WTF?! I've never heard about any of this stuff? Did violence and sex in games only get the attention of parents post Mortal Kombat?

Yes, because it was more realistic visually than pixelated cowboys and indians ****ing.

Posted by s0ul

YOU LEAVE CUSTER'S REVENGE OUT OF THIS! :mad:

Posted by Zeta

Heh. I love video games so much, and yet I know jack **** about the Atari days...
*Prays someone will publish some History of Video Games book someday*

Posted by Pit

There's this other game where like, some guy is in the wood and the forest is on fire, and you have to recue her or him, graphics so bad you can't tell. So basically, you let your penis out and the person who's in the fire has to grab on to it with their mouth and you take them to safety as they hang mouth first on your cock.

Another game is that you're a male whore and you gotta get as much money as you can.

Beat that hot coffee.

Posted by D.J Cat

Quoting Zeta: Heh. I love video games so much, and yet I know jack **** about the Atari days...

I know there is some books on the history of gaming, I have heard of one with "The first 25 years" or somethin glik ethat in the title.

And that guy, is not Bomberman.
Back in the good old days Bomberman was great and Konami made the best soccer games in the world.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Zeta]Heh. I love video games so much, and yet I know jack **** about the Atari days...

Look for Game Over. It's not exactly a history book, but it will tell you a heck of a lot about the Atari days.

Posted by maian

Heh, I remember those games. EGM had a "Top 10 Naughtiest Games of All Time" feature. Custer's Revenge was one of them. (Yeah, that cowboy is General Custer) The worst game ever was the shooting semen from the roof one, but they thought it was too naughty to actually reveal a title/information. :cookie:

But I think this change is ridiculous. Although my favorite Bomberman is Bomberman Hero (The one that everyone else hates) Bomberman was cool. I'm gonna agree with what Shondronai said. :cool:

Posted by D.J Cat

Quoting Pit: Yeah, though I love how it's "Xbox's" fault, I mean, it wasn't Sony who started the trend to rated M games, right?

I MEAN HALO WAS THE FIRST RATED M GAME WITH VIOLENCE LOL RIGHT DEX!?

What Dex means is that the Xbox has helped create a wave of gamers that will buy a game based on it being "cool" or by the box art.

This bomberman will appeal to all those gamers.
You know the sort, the ones who play racing games and "Has it got lots of guns? Cool!"
And to those who recognize the old bomberman name they might pick it based on that fact and thats why it will sell.

Actually D.J, it was the playstation that started that trend. Commercial after commercial of nothing but CG footage that gave no indication of what the gameplay would be like. Squaresoft was the biggest perpetrator there, I'd say.

Posted by giminius

I guess this is the start of a new trend. Take what they did to Bomberman, and do it to Mario.

Nah. With Mario it'd be a Sopranos-style mafia story, not a mechanization.

Quoted post: Nah. With Mario it'd be a Sopranos-style mafia story, not a mechanization.

Uh, yeah. That's probably what he meant - make the character cooler, more badass, not a robot.

EDIT: http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/771/771985/vids_1.html

Hope to God they keep that as Bomberman's voice.

Posted by Big Boss

I guess if I had Bomberman in my mind at all other than for my SGD (Structure of Game Design) final, I would've imagined something like this would happen. But, I think he looks really cool, although that's not going to make me care for the character any more than I do now (I don't care for him at all). But, this can always be just another representation of the character, while they keep his old look in other games.

Quoting D.J Cat: Konami made the best soccer games in the world.

They still do, in the form of Winning Eleven, or Pro Evolution Soccer in Europe. Konami has kept its series mostly on the PS2 and Xbox though (with an obscure GCN release of WE6, likely in Japan only), which is why you've probably missed the games.

Posted by Bebop

Disgusting.